PDA

View Full Version : Which Warhammer heads are the best?

natner
06-10-2009, 17:36
I haven't really played much Warhammer Fantasy (though I'd like to) but I was impressed by some conversions I saw of people using Fantasy heads for Guardsmen. So the question I have: Which Fantasy heads are the best or the look the best for Guardsmen? Cheers!

loveless
06-10-2009, 17:38
Lizardmen.

Nothing says "I have no idea what I'm doing" quite like Lizardmen heads on Imperial Guard bodies...except maybe Ogre heads on Imperial Guard bodies. Viva la Bobbleheads!

Rabid Bunny 666
06-10-2009, 17:49
The Empire Flagellant heads are good, well, some are, i'd stick to mainly empire ones, the Brettonian ones are a bit on the small side.

Damocles8
06-10-2009, 17:51
bretonnian men at arms look good......empire state troops for your slightly more "upscale" guardsmen....

Pig Iron has some fantastic human heads.....

grissom2006
06-10-2009, 17:51
The Mordheim heads from the human plastis used to be a good choice and was commonly used on Catachans and some of the Empires heads as well.

Wolflord Havoc
06-10-2009, 17:53
This depends on which type of soldier you want to produce?

For veterens I would suggest the 'hairy head Sprue'

For Chaos Renegades I would suggest the Fanatics Sprue and possibly some added in from the beastman plastic set

For conscripts perhaps the bretonian Peasant sets?

My tuppence worth

Radium
06-10-2009, 18:02
The old Middenheimer set had some nice heads. I don't know if it's still available though (used to come with knigths).

Lordsaradain
06-10-2009, 19:27
The old Middenheimer set had some nice heads. I don't know if it's still available though (used to come with knigths).

It still does afaik.

Other ideas are the new marauder horsemen heads, they would work great as veterans or maybe catachans.

Lusall
06-10-2009, 19:32
The head given by sisters of battle? Ziiing!

But really...

Crazy Ivan
06-10-2009, 20:27
Some ideas:

Some of the Flagellant heads are excellent for either Penal Legionaries or cultists. Some might even be good for converting priests.
The Chaos Marauder Horsemen sprue has some great heads for Guardsmen drawn from either hive gangs or feral worlds.
The heads from the Empire Pistoliers box look good on more regal-looking troops or even pseudo-Praetorians.
The Greatswords box set has at least three bare heads that look great too, I think (a bald one, one with a long drooping moustache and one with flowing hair), but the box is rather expensive.
The bald head with the eye patch and the huge beard from the Empire general set has always struck me as excellently suited for an Imperial Navy (petty) officer.
I've seen people do great things with the head of the Bretonnian Men-at-Arms, making WWI British "Tommy"-style troops. I do think they require a lot of work to look good, though.
Also, take a look at the new Space Wolves sprue. Some of the Wolf scout heads might look good on elite-style officers (including mutton chops!)

I myself bought the Empire State Trooper box partly so I could use the bare head with the short-cropped hair and moustache on my commanding officer.

Absolutionis
06-10-2009, 20:29
3rd party retailers such as Pig Iron produce rather good heads that just so happen to fit on Imperial Guard.

ashc
06-10-2009, 20:58
@Lusall, I am glad I got to read that comment before it inevitably gets deleted, just made my day :)

Lusall
06-10-2009, 21:27
@Lusall, I am glad I got to read that comment before it inevitably gets deleted, just made my day :)

Thanks, brother! It's sad, but the only way I can get the forum "gods" to respond is to say something crude. I'm like a retarded, depressed child. I like attention, even bad. :angel:

Fire Harte
06-10-2009, 21:30
Chaos Warrior heads are ace on Chaos Space Marines
Flagellent heads are also pretty good on guardsmen to (chaos ones...)

I have seen a kroot head on a chaos marine. Now that is pure awesome. :D

spetswalshe
06-10-2009, 22:13
Some ideas:
[big list]

I myself bought the Empire State Trooper box partly so I could use the bare head with the short-cropped hair and moustache on my commanding officer.

This x2 (and I came so very close to buying the State Troops myself, for the exact same reason, damn bitz services and their lack of stock...)

There's also a very nice Empire Marksman head with a monocular attachment and sideburns that is actually more suited to a steampunk 40k theme. Don't overlook Bretonnian Bowmen either - some great heads there, if malformed peasants is what you're after (or the novelty of having a guardsman with his nose in a sling). And while the Flagellant heads are nice, I've found them to be a bit small (not to mention elderly-looking). Bretonnian Men at Arms and Knights heads have awkward neck attachments that make them difficult to use with different torsos.

252nd Fire Dragoon
06-10-2009, 22:16
Aloha,
I use Empire Pistolier heads. Fits well and looks cool.

Garanaul the Black
06-10-2009, 23:16
3rd party retailers such as Pig Iron produce rather good heads that just so happen to fit on Imperial Guard.

Yup, heres (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15) one I frequent. The heads are under 'conversion bits' (Tox Guardsmen are on page 3), but be sure to take a look around the rest of the store, great stuff there! I just received an (another!) order today and I couldn't be more pleased with the quality!

G

jp22102000
06-10-2009, 23:27
Skaven.

;)

I actually did it too when I was starting a Lost and the Damned

Bunnahabhain
06-10-2009, 23:52
Empire Pistollers work well. I've got dress uniform rough riders, and I've used some of the spare heads for things like Regimental sergeant majors, and other infantry who I want to stand out a bit.

natner
07-10-2009, 05:42
Hey thanks mates for all the great input! Yea, I have some Pig Iron stuff and it great, but I was looking for something more regal. So turning my attention to the Empire Pistoliers. Thanks again!

kazkal
07-10-2009, 07:07
My favorite conversion was imperial Guard army using Men at Arms ( bretonians)... their Leather with the Metal pan hats were just awesome....
Coolest rough riders ever.

LordMoriar
07-10-2009, 07:21
Check out www.westwindproductions.co.uk they have great characterful head. Slightly small, but not so much that it looks funny. I use german helmets with gasmasks.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff37/lordmoriar/Guards-1.jpg

Gotta greenstuff some around the neck. Thats the first 3 minis with new helmets i made. Now all my 150ish guardsmen got similar. Check out their site.