PDA

View Full Version : Which elves?

Lord_Sanguinius
18-01-2006, 14:48
Been a while since i've posted here and played warhammer but i'm back and ready to make a second army. My dilema is that i wanted to play High elves or Dark elves. i really like high elf magic, but also some of the dark elf units. So it

makes me stuck at this where i cant decide and i like both pretty equally. I havent bought the army books because i havent decided but maybe some one could help me. i want an army thats (not wood elves) that can get to the enemy fast (which elves can do) and take a small beating without losing their full potential and still being able to pack a good punch with some magic or some

cheaper units to back it up like fast flyers or cavalry. So now thats where i'm stuck, i'm leaning towards dark elves because i like evil armies:evilgrin: And i like the fact they got some cheaper units but still decent magic. Any input would be appreciated.

Pravus
18-01-2006, 16:23
Dark Elves for the following reasons:

Fast cavalry units as core (damn fine fast cavalry at that)
+1 to cast & funky lores (shadow is one of the most tactically useful lores in the game)
the RXB/shield combo for a melee effective archer unit
Corsairs, Witch Elves and Executioners (sexy football!)

Don't get me wrong, HE are an excellent army too (silver helms ruin lots of peoples days and the seer honour makes for a very powerful magic phase) but I think the DE just edge it.

metro_gnome
18-01-2006, 16:25
wood elves are better than both...

Lord_Sanguinius
18-01-2006, 22:07
Dark Elves for the following reasons:

Fast cavalry units as core (damn fine fast cavalry at that)
+1 to cast & funky lores (shadow is one of the most tactically useful lores in the game)
the RXB/shield combo for a melee effective archer unit
Corsairs, Witch Elves and Executioners (sexy football!)

Don't get me wrong, HE are an excellent army too (silver helms ruin lots of peoples days and the seer honour makes for a very powerful magic phase) but I think the DE just edge it.

Ok well thank you for the advice, i'll probably be starting the DE then.

god octo
19-01-2006, 16:42
we know metrognome but i would vote for Dark elves. They have just been updated and they have lots of fast cavalry and interesting units.

Bran Dawri
19-01-2006, 16:48
Which elves? Witch elves! :p . Sorry, couldn't resist.

If it's fast cavalry you want, then dark elves are indeed the way to go. However, if you like the high elves' magic more than you like core fast cav, but still prefer the dark elf models, you could try to use dark elf models, hand have them count as their high elf counterparts.
Fluffwise, they could be a bunch of high elves who are slowly slipping into dark elf-ness, or a high elf force infiltrating in Naggaroth, or a bunch of dark elves who haven't forgotten how to use high magic.

Lord_Sanguinius
21-01-2006, 03:26
Which elves? Witch elves! :p . Sorry, couldn't resist.

If it's fast cavalry you want, then dark elves are indeed the way to go. However, if you like the high elves' magic more than you like core fast cav, but still prefer the dark elf models, you could try to use dark elf models, hand have them count as their high elf counterparts.
Fluffwise, they could be a bunch of high elves who are slowly slipping into dark elf-ness, or a high elf force infiltrating in Naggaroth, or a bunch of dark elves who haven't forgotten how to use high magic.

Lol nice concept, i took a look at the army book and started to like the dark elf units more. They get a free chariot choice so you can also add in more special units like executioners with killing blow and cold one knights. I also really liked the witch elves, frenzy and poison is really a good way to go. And the assasin looked like a really mean hero choice. Also being able to have repeating crossbows with 2 shots each was real nice. now high elves do have advantages too but i think the dark elf ones will be more for my playing style when i looked through both books.

sigur
23-01-2006, 23:26
I also think so. Last weekend, I played my DE (first WHFB army, 3rd battle) and HW afterwards and judging from the lists and the overall feel, I'd still go for the Dark Elves (sure, I'm biased). They just have the more interesting units and above that all: cheaper units. Elite armies can be interesting, but I'm not into "over the top" elite armies.

Go for DE and you will have some interesting games. Oh, and prepare to spend a heap of cash for that army as Dark Elves are expensive. May I ask what armies you played in the (in your case long, long ago) past?;)

Lord_Sanguinius
24-01-2006, 01:36
Go for DE and you will have some interesting games. Oh, and prepare to spend a heap of cash for that army as Dark Elves are expensive. May I ask what armies you played in the (in your case long, long ago) past?;)

I Mainly just played chaos and some orcs and goblins. other than that, not much else.

Scythe
24-01-2006, 15:40
I have to say go for Dark Elves. Not trying to be biased, but HE are limited in the ways they can play if you want a viable army. HE armies made to win are 99% of the time all cavalry or magic heavy, which is really a shame (if it had been possible to play more defensively with Archers and Seaguard, I might have a HE army myself, however those troops are just plain crap). Dark Elves can excell in every game phase, depending on your army set up, which is very nice and challenging.

Crazy Harborc
24-01-2006, 18:09
Based on what the man said...........Go for DE's. IMHO, all your games will likely include a magic phase. DE's do at least as well as HE's during magic phase. Unless most opponents have T4 armies, the DE's repeater crossbows with a Ws4 should do as well as the other Elves shooters (at long range).

Scythe
25-01-2006, 12:11
Repeater crossbows are usually superior to normal longbows. It is only that they can't fire 30". At 0-12" and 15-24" they generate more hits as a BS4 longbow, while being the same at 12-15" (assuming no other modifiers, like skirmishers, moving, large targets or cover at least).