PDA

View Full Version : ALL Infantry fun!

Loki73
07-10-2009, 01:05
OK a few weeks ago my friend and I decided to do an all infantry fight. No amored tanks or APC's no speeders no cav and no bikes. No arty. NO drop pods. You get the picture. We played on a 4x6 2800 points. standard deployment......with a twist. Night fighting turn one, and six numbered objectives. 3 on his 12" deployment line and 3 on mine. At the end of each turn we rolled a die. Whatever number came up we pulled the obj off. If in another turn we rolled the same number before it was ignored and no obj was pulled.

We really just wanted to get away from the mech list thing (space marines). I gotta say it was a lovely change of pace. The carnage was great. I used things like devsquads and Vanguard! The vanguard took out 2 squads by themselves!

It changed the dynamics and was entertaining. Made us think out of the box! Long story short this game gets fun when you stop uber listing and just make some stuff up a and plop down! I highly recommend giving it a try. Anyone else recently done anything similar to change it up?

BTW all out stuff was painted! Yeeeayah!

Imperius
07-10-2009, 01:19
Must have been fun, but I don't really see the purpose of removing an objective on the roll of a dice. Maybe blowing that objective up?

Also, the sheer movement phase must have increased your game length by a minimum of 30 minutes.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 01:20
It did but time was not a factor. The objective removal was for randomness added to the tension.

Bunnahabhain
07-10-2009, 01:21
How do you get 2800 pts of infantry onto a 6X4 table? That's something like 300-400 models a side... EDIT. guard player....

BladeWalker
07-10-2009, 01:39
I always play with no vehicles, I don't even own any. I make up for the lack of mobility in other ways in the armies I play and I have always enjoyed the challenge of fielding all infantry vs. various other types of armies. Sounds like a fun game you had, you should try it at different points levels.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 01:43
Easy we were doing space marine on space marine crime! lol. It adds up trust me. I had a battle company of sorts!

LonelyPath
07-10-2009, 01:57
It sounds like a fun game, I may have to try it out sometime. It's always good to mix things up a little :)

Mosedeke
07-10-2009, 02:04
How do you get 2800 pts of infantry onto a 6X4 table? That's something like 300-400 models a side... EDIT. guard player....

Don't worry, I thought the same, and began to shudder when I thought how much of a pain just 150 models are.

Though a full on Infantry battle between two Guard armies that point value, on say an 8x4 table, would be something to see. WW1 all over again.

Bunnahabhain
07-10-2009, 02:18
I wouldn't put 2800pts on anything less than an 8x6, as a bare minimum, or bigger if possible, as I like to use an 8x6 for 1500.... I'm lucky enough to have a club with a decent amount of space and terrain.

All infantry guard are fun to use, but not overly fast to set up, move, or play in general.

Threeshades
07-10-2009, 02:34
OK a few weeks ago my friend and I decided to do an all infantry fight. No amored tanks or APC's no speeders no cav and no bikes. No arty. NO drop pods. You get the picture. We played on a 4x6 2800 points. standard deployment......with a twist. Night fighting turn one, and six numbered objectives. 3 on his 12" deployment line and 3 on mine. At the end of each turn we rolled a die. Whatever number came up we pulled the obj off. If in another turn we rolled the same number before it was ignored and no obj was pulled.

We really just wanted to get away from the mech list thing (space marines). I gotta say it was a lovely change of pace. The carnage was great. I used things like devsquads and Vanguard! The vanguard took out 2 squads by themselves!

It changed the dynamics and was entertaining. Made us think out of the box! Long story short this game gets fun when you stop uber listing and just make some stuff up a and plop down! I highly recommend giving it a try. Anyone else recently done anything similar to change it up?

BTW all out stuff was painted! Yeeeayah!

Now that's cool.

Yes I also gotta say just a casual "hey let's play"-lists-game is a lot more fun than your average tournament-lists-off. Especially because I'm not very good at making powerful lists. :angel:
Well that inability to make powerful lists is also partly based on my inability to just leave out units I find cool because of the fluff and/or the models. So altogether it's a can't and don't want to, that keeps me from building über-lists.

My Exodite eldar army that i am building up is supposed to contain two maxed out squads of Shining Spears, because they're the only thing half way properly representing the old Dragon Knights, even though they Spears are generally considered to be more than sub-par (again) the rest is going to be built on jetbikes (moire dragon riders) some guardians and rangers and wraithlords and avatars (for megadons)

Also my Tyranids haven't seen any light on the battlefield in ages because I trimmed them all toward close combat. Hormagaunts, Raveners, Warriors, yes even Carnifexes. Needless to say they keep getting their asses handed to them regularly.

But against another player with a style army, its just a hell of a lot of fun. Especially if both armies are fully painted and based.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 03:25
Yeah it was a bit short but my LGS had a MTG release day so the fact we got a table was good. It was over by turn three anyways. Belive it or not.

owen matthew
07-10-2009, 03:46
I always play with no vehicles, I don't even own any. I make up for the lack of mobility in other ways in the armies I play and I have always enjoyed the challenge of fielding all infantry vs. various other types of armies. Sounds like a fun game you had, you should try it at different points levels.

Me too. I think it is a superior stratagey. I've been doing it for years.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 04:48
I wish there were more players willing to do this. Maybe start a trend. Hard getting everyone away from thier uber lists.

Vandelan
07-10-2009, 07:57
I like to play games with three objectives scattering on the board for about three turns, starting with turn two.

It's a pretty fun way to have an all out brawl and then a scramble for positioning rather than just sitting atop objectives for most of the game.

I'll have to try the objective removal idea sometime, it seems like a pretty fun one.

Raphaus
07-10-2009, 08:11
I like the sound of that objective removing thing, adding a bit of chaos to the victory conditions is definately a plus.

Onisuzume
07-10-2009, 12:44
Meh, I was pretty much already firmly rooted in the all-infantry department.
Especially in case of marines - never underestimate the number of bodies a marine player can throw at you (80 in 1.5k). I don't think that most opponents are prepared for that.

WHFB can do even better than that: easily 600 models at 2k points. And that's one army... At least they have movement trays.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 16:28
Wow! 80 do you run alot of tac squads? Thats frekin sweet.

Threeshades
07-10-2009, 18:21
Me too. I think it is a superior stratagey. I've been doing it for years.

By that you mean going without vehicles you can beat mech armies (and I'm not talking tyranids here)?

Or do you mean a game without vehicle puts more emphasis on strategy?

If it's the former, I see a future for my C:SW based army, that I planned to have full size Squads with Wolf Guard Pack leaders.

Meh, I was pretty much already firmly rooted in the all-infantry department.
Especially in case of marines - never underestimate the number of bodies a marine player can throw at you (80 in 1.5k). I don't think that most opponents are prepared for that.

WHFB can do even better than that: easily 600 models at 2k points. And that's one army... At least they have movement trays.

For 40k you could use the LotR Movement trays.

CommissarGuard
07-10-2009, 21:01
As i have my own chapter of marines my guys are mostly foot sloggers but do have 1 rhino, 1 pred, 1 LR and 1 dred.
The low amount of tanks etc goes with my backing story where the spirts of the tanks went crazy

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222361

Loki73
08-10-2009, 08:48
NIce I just made a list involving C:SW @ 1750 with all infantry I think im taking the plunge for awhile.

Onisuzume
09-10-2009, 20:53
Wow! 80 do you run alot of tac squads? Thats frekin sweet.
About 5-6 tac squads, 2 devastator squads, and a company master (C: DA). Don't have many points for heavy weapons at 8 squads though.
At 5 tooled Tac Squads and 2 Tooled Dev Squads + Company Master I pay 1475 points in C: DA, and I pay 1435 for the same in C:SM. >_>
Which means that the Company Master gets more wargear in C:SM than in C: DA. Oh well, at least its only a 40 point difference.

For 40k you could use the LotR Movement trays.
Smeg lotr.