PDA

View Full Version : what does everyone carry their army in?

mafty
07-10-2009, 01:27
title says it all, im using an old toolbox which needs to upgraded to something more appropriate

Edonil
07-10-2009, 01:33
I use the Army Transport cases. Expensive, but they work well.

ntin
07-10-2009, 01:33
I have a very old Gamesworkshop case for about 10 years that has served well but it does not work with irregular sized models. Sabol foam and cases are popular but can be expensive.

Mánagarmr
07-10-2009, 01:35
Sabol Army Transport.

One of the best purchases I've made for this hobby, period.

BladeWalker
07-10-2009, 01:41
Sabol Army Transport.

Agreed, the foam trays are great but what really makes the carrying cases is the additional storage for dice, lists, books, etc.

Enfid
07-10-2009, 01:44
GW's carry case for normal models. Keep cutting to a minimal, and semi-reversible.

For larger things like tanks, I use the Ferrero-Rocher chocolate plastic boxes and put bubble wrap inside, secured with rubber bands. Most Imperial tanks (eg Rhinos and Chimeras) as well as Tau tanks fit perfectly in it, as well as trios of Tau battlesuits, Sentinels, and larger models. The key is having enough bubble wrap and make sure that the model can't move around after the lid is on.

I have never played with anything larger than that (Monoliths and Land Raiders come to mind). But if I do I tend to look for tupperwares that fit the size and do the same thing with the bubble wraps.

I also magnetize anything that is unwieldy so it is broken down into manageable chunks (eg. the Soul Grinder/Defiler), and thus can fit into a small container.

acme2468
07-10-2009, 01:46
Well as we're talking about 9000+ points of orks here,

1 Sabol Army Transport, (Most of the Fast attacks, and Heavy supports )
1 Generic figure Case with Four 10x4 space Foam trays in it, (The Main Troop Units and Most of the Elites)
A large Foam filled Shoebox ( For the Dreads and Killakans )
A GW Army Transport Case (Trukks and Battlewagon and leftover troops)
A 3' by 2' Cardboard Tray with 7 inch sides ( 3 Stompas, 1 gargant, 1 Big pulsa rokkit)

Loki73
07-10-2009, 01:48
GW cases and sabol. Good stuff.

mafty
07-10-2009, 01:50
yea the sabol stuff is nice just so dam expensive, and impossible to find a canadian seller

Edonil
07-10-2009, 01:52
yea the sabol stuff is nice just so dam expensive, and impossible to find a canadian seller

Order it from The War Store, Neal's prices are good.

Mannimarco
07-10-2009, 01:58
aluminium KR multicase

lightweight, resilient and a lot more stylish than the GW one

librerian_samae
07-10-2009, 02:09
I use bog standard games workshop case, but the foam trays are getting knackered.

Imtrying to save up for a case from kr multicase, there range is fantastic and the variations of foam inserts are great.

primarch16
07-10-2009, 02:15
At the moment I've got a normal GW case (had it for around 7 years) but got some KR multicase foam in it. Works pretty well.

Threeshades
07-10-2009, 02:22
Well in the past i used to put everything into boxes filled wiht tissue paper, cotton wool and packing foam bits. Which wasnt very good, but everything I had. No I'm using a more professional army transport, a German brand "Feldherr" case with modular foam trays that can be adjusted to all kinds of unlikely-dimensioned units by taking out or reinserting bits. Very neat stuff.
Also I have a reaaaaaaaaaaaaally old GW miniature case that is fitted out with this kind of foam:
http://www.extremeaudio.de/images/accessories/Dietz/dietz_23501.jpg (my otherwise so extensive english vocabulary fails me on this one unfortunately)

Red Beard
07-10-2009, 02:25
Order it from The War Store, Neal's prices are good.

This is very true! When you factor in shipping its hard to beat anything Neal sales. I buy all my merchandise/transports from there.

mafty
07-10-2009, 02:32
This is very true! When you factor in shipping its hard to beat anything Neal sales. I buy all my merchandise/transports from there.

neh, $20 to ship to canada, not spectacular consider its 5 for US residents. so the price goes up 50% when i buy there.

Silentexile
07-10-2009, 02:56
Battlefoam P.A.C.K. 432 all the way. (roughly 3.5k-4k Eldar, including 6 grav tanks and 2 Wraithlords.)

Edonil
07-10-2009, 03:01
neh, $20 to ship to canada, not spectacular consider its 5 for US residents. so the price goes up 50% when i buy there.

Then there's Maelstrom, I've heard a great deal of good here on Warseer about them.

Amnar
07-10-2009, 03:05
I use Charon skirmish packs, they're amazing.

Loki73
07-10-2009, 03:38
I'd do battlefoam but ...anyways Ill not start that here. I wont use them period.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
07-10-2009, 04:10
I use a 7 year old cardboard box that has about 4 shoe boxes and a number of the smaller boxes IG Storm Trooper models came in with various random padding for vehicles and troops in the shoe boxes. It's my "big box o' guard." Holds 4k+ points currently with room for more.

It looks like *****, but is cheap as hell and very effective. Only transit damage I have ever had was due to a car accident. That army is painted to table top standards.

I am working on getting actual army cases for my Marines and Elysians. Both are painted to a much higher standard.

Lion El Jason
07-10-2009, 04:12
I'd do battlefoam but ...anyways Ill not start that here. I wont use them period.

I was thinking of getting battlefoam, what's wrong with them?

fwacho
07-10-2009, 04:55
I buy a big plastic tub from target or walmart. I use hot glue and card board to make places for the models and then hot glue in quilt liner. then I make additional trays out of cardboard, hotglue, and quilt liner, and foam I have laying around. Work very well, movers failed to damage anything I moved this way (once I added packing peanuts and taped it up).

This really is my preferred method, though I use quilt lined tool boxes as well.

Absolutionis
07-10-2009, 05:33
I used to use a fishing tacklebox from Walmart, but now I stick with the Sabol Army Transport. Tyranids come is very odd shapes and only Sabol seems to have customizable trays at acceptable prices (TheWarStore).

Bodysnatcher
07-10-2009, 07:38
Figures in comfort Multi - with two 40K medium tank trays, 1 25mm Tank tray (for crisis suits) and two infantry trays. An extremely good case. http://www.figuresincomfort.net/

Cynisperer
07-10-2009, 13:58
A Gun case

Sunyavadin
07-10-2009, 14:14
I've got several cases. My choice depends on what I'm transporting.
Lots of vehicles get my large metal briefcase padded with foam custom cut for my purposes.
Large numbers of MCs will get the larger of my two drill cases.
Massed infantry, the narrower of the two drill cases.
Smaller forces, kill-teams, and Necromunda gangs get the knife case the set in my kitchen came in.
I might post photos at some point after I get home.

Harvey
07-10-2009, 14:18
I also use a Kaiser Rushforth aluminium multicase. I've got extra foam trays in a variety of configurations depending on what I need to transport. I'd definitely recommend them. I believe they do free international shipping too.

Macragge
07-10-2009, 14:19
1 x Large (New) GW figure case
1 x Small (Old) GW figure case

Lots of different foam insterts that sit in a draw at home with various models in them, I then put the ones required into the cases when I take them places.

Poseidal
07-10-2009, 14:29
Depending on army,

Some GW cases (have a couple of small ones and a large one, also the ammo tin that came with the 5th edition promotion)

A couple of KR cases (Kaiser Rushforth), really nice cases with good foam. Lots of different types of foam for vehicles, larger guys etc. Comes with either a hardcase or card case.

A Boxfile.

mdauben
07-10-2009, 15:20
Sabol Army Transport.

+1 The best way of transporting various sized miniatures (from weedy grots up to the largest tanks) in safety and comfort. Over the years I went through various toolboxes, tackleboxes, GW cases, etc. and nothing beats the flexibility and convenience of the SABOL cases. ;)

Doomseer
07-10-2009, 15:34
I use GW cases with various KaiserRushforth foam inserts.

I have found it very handy that the boxes they deliver the foam in are great for subbing my armies in and out depending on which one I'm travelling with.

It has saved a lot of storage issues without having to buy more hard cases:)

BrainFireBob
07-10-2009, 16:28
Sabol. There are better things than a Sabol, like sex, but sex doesn't transport my army. Sabol does.

Necronlord3
07-10-2009, 16:38
Sabol Army Transport for all my Necrons except the Monoliths which I had to convert some Rubbermade containers lined with foam to carry them.

Nexus Trimean
07-10-2009, 16:55
My entire Mechanized 1500 point IG army fits into one Sabol Motor pool case. My SM are in an old GW case, and a Fishing Tackle box for the vehicles. But im looking at getting some battlefoam after christmas.

Fire Harte
07-10-2009, 17:55
GW cases and battleforce boxes in a bag.

Because I'm a poor student... :(

Brady
07-10-2009, 19:12
Bubble wrap and the battle force box in a ruck sack fits everything!

tk7
07-10-2009, 19:36
I have a small GW for my Baneblade/Stormlord, large GW for my chaos (has one side infantry, one side pick/pluck for vehicles), and triple KR multicase for my imperial guard. I have a cardboard box/bubblewrap for my valdor

I like them all really, the multicase is my fave though, can fit a lot in there. I've no objection to spending a lot on a case, I spent a lot more on the figures.

Felwether
07-10-2009, 19:57
A big green GW case!

One side with enough room for 90 infantry, the other side customisable for tanks, MCs etc.

Pricey enough but it has served me well over the years (despite being kicked, knocked over and accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs none of my models have broken).

threewolftats
07-10-2009, 20:02
a couple of old plastic toolboxes with home carved sponge inserts made out of old settee cusions..... no breakages yet, so I must have got about right.....

HunterSkunter
07-10-2009, 21:08
I have big plastic case about the size of an army transport that was about 12 bucks from Hobby Lobby. I just use my own foam trays from the game store.

grissom2006
07-10-2009, 21:24
Depends sometimes it's GW cases other times i have to make my owns cases to transport stuff as you can't fit Titans in a GW case unless they happen to be in bit's or epic.

TheEndIsHere
07-10-2009, 21:29
I have a slighty similar question, whats the BEST one?

Radium
07-10-2009, 21:40
I use a Feldherr case, because I find a shoulderbag a lot easier to carry around with me than a stupid GW case.

w3rm
07-10-2009, 22:16
Egg cartons, ammo boxes and some security boxes I got from my grand father. And a sewing kit box but I tell everyone its a tackle box. Don't wanna look silly do I?

Ph4lanx
07-10-2009, 22:16
On a related note to the thread, does anyone know a UK Distributor of Sabol cases? I'd love to order one, but can't find anyone. Or does someone know a european trader who has a website in English?

grissom2006
07-10-2009, 22:37
None in the uk that i'm aware of but this is the few that do do in europe http://www.vincit.se/index.asp?url=VincitSabol.html&langCode=en

CommissarGuard
07-10-2009, 22:44
i use a plasic box taht i got from woolworths when they was tradeing going well so far

Trogdor
07-10-2009, 22:45
Biscuit tins thickly lined with bubble wrap. Does the job, I tell thee.

LKHERO
07-10-2009, 22:48
Battlefoam P.A.C.K. 432 all the way. (roughly 3.5k-4k Eldar, including 6 grav tanks and 2 Wraithlords.)

That's exactly how I roll.

Right now, my case holds:

3x 10x Tactical squads
3x 10x Grey Hunter squads
at least 25 Assault Space Marines
at least 25 Heavy Weapon Marines
at least 10 different characters

And I have 2 sheets of 72-slots left.

HerrDusty
07-10-2009, 23:01
Asda carrier bags and crossed fingers.

But seriously, I take most of my army in the larger GW carry case, with the top infantry layer cut up a bit to fit terminators in, and the tank side with the pull out foam hollowed out till its nothing but a box made of foam, and I cram as many Rhino-shaped tanks in there as I can, and lay a bit of loose foam on top to stop them from moving around, it seems to work pretty well (so far).

For strangely shaped or excess models that won't fit in my case, I pack them into a cardboard box full of tissue paper and bubble wrap, and slip that into my rucksack.

I'd like to get one of the more fancy and fully featured custom cases in future for transporting bigger armies around a bit more comfortably, but what I've got does for now.

LonelyPath
07-10-2009, 23:03
At the moment I'm reduced to padded cardboard boxes while i await the arrival of a new figure case seeing how my last one broke.

carldooley
07-10-2009, 23:40
I got one of the Sabol cases upon a time, but then I cut it for tau suits and the holes aren't suited for anything else. Now I use cake boxes with a layer on non-slip rubber on the bottom. Since I got a rigid gun case I could use that, assuming that I wanted to freak out everyone when I play a game on a campus (or anywhere else for that matter:angel:).

Hero adamite
07-10-2009, 23:44
a classic shoebox, it works fine but i would love to buy one of those GW cases, i saw one and it was like $120 so no thanks i would rather spend that money towards more models/paint etc. :p

mafty
08-10-2009, 02:23
anyone know any canadian retailers for sabol?

Frostea
08-10-2009, 02:53
Battlefoam 436. Its a really big transport considering the cost.

Troah
08-10-2009, 03:04
Not a damn thing, I make my friends come to me when we play.

Warpcrafter
08-10-2009, 03:19
Fishing tackle boxes, GW boxed set boxes, all stacked in a big cardboard box. I don't have much of a hobby budget, so I prefer to spend it all on the toy soldiers.

Raphaus
08-10-2009, 05:53
Shoe boxes and bubble wrap/tissue

I've used this method for 20 years and I'm not changing now, damn you!

mafty
08-10-2009, 19:08
Shoe boxes and bubble wrap/tissue

I've used this method for 20 years and I'm not changing now, damn you!

i lol'd

the message you entered is to short

08-10-2009, 20:32
LOTR in toolbox
IG in gun cases
SM in fishing tackle box
OnG in a army box with foam inserts
Bret in plastic tote with foam inserts
HE in sobel carrying cases
Necron....not sure yet right now sitting in a battalion box loose (possibly will buy a GW box)
Demon hunters (well I have 5 temries so not worried about it yet)

I live far from were my games are so I want to be sure to grab the army I need so I wont forget

Dyrnwyn
08-10-2009, 23:21
My first 40k and Fantasy armies (Tau and Wood Elves, respectively) are in Sabol Army Transports. However, I'm not buying those anymore, my Orks and Daemonhunters are in pistol cases.

Consider this: Sabol Army Transport costs about $50, and you may need to buy foam trays seperately at $9 or $10 a pop. On top of this, the foam doesn't hold the models particularly tightly, and the soft exterior of the case means that if a fellow neckbeard trips near your case, your army may be crushed. Or in a more likely situation that I have personally witnessed several times; if you take your army anywhere on a plane, Sabol cases generally don't do a great job of keeping the models inside intact. A hardshell pistol case on the other hand, comes with foam in it, for $16 at the local sporting goods store, and is larger than the small GW hardshell case.

Maine
09-10-2009, 00:33
Currently all Sabol, but I'm about to move to Battlefoam for my Guard (which has gone mechanized, finally with the new Codex - wanted to do that since I started Steel Legion in early 2001, but it hasn't been feasible until now).

At first I thought the Battlefoam was way overpriced at about 2x-2.5x the price of Sabol, but then I looked at the tray size - the trays are almost twice the size of a sabol tray: BF is 15.5x12" vs 15.5x13 for 2 side-by-side Sabol trays! On top of that, the custom cut foam is more efficient (less wasted space), and holds better as the foam is glued to the bottom of the tray, so no shifting/tearing like Sabol.

The Battlefoam also feels denser and stiffer than Sabol. The cases have stiff sides, and handles (tired of ArmyTransports cutting into my shoulder).

I loved Sabol for a while, but I'm moving on now for some of my armies.

My only complaints about Battlefoam so far: they aren't responsive by email (must call them), and they do take their time to ship (but it's worth it, in the end).

starlight
09-10-2009, 00:50
This time of the month again...? ;)

Still using my Charon Productions BattlePack and Delux SkirmishPacks (MAX-B versions)...oh and one GW case that came with an army I bought... :p The SkirmishPacks get my vote for best pack I've ever used. :D

smicha6551
09-10-2009, 03:13
I use the really large Sabol case. It's a bit of a pain to shape the foam though. I'm thinking of switching case for a deep Pelican case so I can fly with my minis...though that's an expensive way to go.

Bunnahabhain
09-10-2009, 04:41
A car.

Containing variations on a theme of, depending on army, system and points....

Figures in comfort soft case- 8 standard trays.officers, metal special weapons etc in here.

Wooden wine cases with felt and bubble wrap for tanks,and big stuff

Cardboard battalion boxes, with internal dividers, for 16 IG squads at a time. all plastic, therefore no chips.

AntsArmies
09-10-2009, 05:57
I've made foam inserts using moulds and chemicals to fill them. Its hard work to get set up but you have the advantage that you can make then any shape you want. I've put step by step instructions on my website if you want to have a look:

http://www.antsarmies.com.au/pages/foam/foam.htm

Cheers,

Ant

scarletsquig
09-10-2009, 07:07
I scoop 'em up and bung 'em in a shoebox.. works fine for plastic models, all that foam malarky just means it takes ages to pack and unpack them. :)

Lucky
09-10-2009, 07:11
"what does everyone carry their army in?"

Their sleevies