PDA

View Full Version : Can mono-slaanesh survive?

minionboy
07-10-2009, 08:12
So I've got an itch to begin a demon army (i've been painting them for fun anyhow) and I've been wondering if a mono-slaanesh army can work?

If not, what other daemon units should be added to make a viable slaanesh heavy army? (conversions can always happen, daemonettes with great weapons for bloodletters for example)

Thanks!

isidril93
07-10-2009, 08:24
of coarse it can...you just have to be more tactical and use their speed to your advantage
a kos is really good, daemonettes are great against horde, fiends are good against more or less everything, seekers are one of the best fast cavalary as they are m10

Nathangonmad
07-10-2009, 11:29
I suggest some sort of spider rider/daemonette conversion for Flesh Hounds :P

There just so good and I've seen it done before and it actually looks pretty bitchin'

EvC
07-10-2009, 11:34
Perhaps in an all Slaanesh army such a conversion could be used to represent Seekers of Slaanesh instead (Given that they have no currently available model)?

selone
07-10-2009, 11:56
How would an all slaanesh army deal with heavily armoured and/or tough units?

Whitehorn
07-10-2009, 12:02
Fiends offer S4 and -2 armour save.

Herald with Etherblade.

Failing that, any mono-Slaanesh army should have a KoS really. Incredibly fast, with 6 S6 attacks at -4 save, ASF.

PeG
07-10-2009, 12:25
and provided that you are not looking to make friends -2LD banner, Masque + slaanesh magic is probably on eof the most powerful daemon builds against anything that isnt immune to psychology.

I sometimes run almost a mono Slaanesh army without a greater daemon, special characters or the -LD banner but with the addition of a single Tzeentch herald in a min sized horror unit for magical defence since I tend to go up against armies with lots (10-14) PD quite often. That army gives me a win ratio around 50% which I think is a good point to be at if the goal is for everyone to have fun.

minionboy
07-10-2009, 17:42
and provided that you are not looking to make friends -2LD banner, Masque + slaanesh magic is probably on eof the most powerful daemon builds against anything that isnt immune to psychology.

I had thought about that, but the group i play with is VERY tournament driven, GT's that is. So soft scores are as important as kicking butt.

I absolutely hate the daemonette/spider conversions, but I'm sure I can dig through Giger's work and find a more appropriate style for me. :-)

shredshredxx
07-10-2009, 18:51
it should work totally fine if you're tactically sound, it's destroyed me often enough.

against high armour, you have a keeper with high enough movement to reach the units you want it to fight, and etherblade heralds are awesome can openers as well. not to mention they can take a daemonic icon on top of their etherblade.

Jericho
07-10-2009, 19:59
Granted I don't play any ITP armies myself, but mono-Slaanesh is incredibly nasty to fight with most armies. They can run circles around even Wood Elves, out-magic almost anyone (capable of either crippling units or simply annihilating them with direct damage), and their relative fragility is compensated for by their slippery nature. You really do struggle to get to grips with one of these armies, and often you simply get charged by a bunch of big nasty heralds and the Keeper. Charging them is rarely an option.

I think you'll be able to come up with some viable tactics for this army, with or without mixing gods and using "counts as" rules.

Areku
07-10-2009, 21:44
One thing you could do (which is what I did for my slannesh army) is if you choose to use bloodletters, paint the models with a purplish/bluish ethereal look. I don't have pictures of it, but basically Leviathan Purple wash over Ice Blue paint (I used the same color theme for my Daemonettes, Fiends, KoS). Basically it's a random mix of dark purple to lighter blue once it dries that swirls and fades.

Sure, they use Bloodletter stats, but think of it. If Slannesh is the Chaos God of pleasure and ecstasy, doesn't it make sense to put masculine daemons in as well? Women have lusts as well!

This is, of course, only if you wish to follow the themed look. If you want to go Mono-slannesh units only, I'd use a mix of fiends and riders to cover your flanks.

The same idea can be applied to hounds (the paint idea) but I'd avoid nurgle models, they just don't give off the correct vibe.

EvC
07-10-2009, 22:23
I had thought about that, but the group i play with is VERY tournament driven, GT's that is. So soft scores are as important as kicking butt.

Well that's all fine, but then this thread isn't really about mono-Slaanesh then, is it? Just another undivided Dameon army.

I do love Fluffy Khorne Flamers though. They're in the Bible, you know :cool:

w3rm
07-10-2009, 22:41
I suggest some sort of spider rider/daemonette conversion for Flesh Hounds :P

There just so good and I've seen it done before and it actually looks pretty bitchin'

copy cat thats how I did my seekers.

P.S. Haruhi sux...

Lijacote
07-10-2009, 22:48
P.S. Haruhi sux...

Totally does not suck!

Women have lusts as well!

That is not how humans work, monsieur, it is not so clear-cut this human sexuality as you think it is. I refuse to interpret your remark as humour!

I'd avoid nurgle models, they just don't give off the correct vibe.

I think Beasts of Nurgle are wonderful for Slaanesh and for pretty much any Power when it comes to conversions. A multi-armed nagawomanthing for Slaanesh, some gribbly with blood and gore for Khorne and whatever for Tzeentch. The potential is unlimited!

Some contribution (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/isiri/sku-down/06207)

Areku
07-10-2009, 22:54
Lijacote, my remark was not entirely directed as humor. It seems foolish to believe that only the males in the Warhammer world would be attracted towards Slannesh. As such, (despite the fact they'd be called Daemons) there is every possibility that male "Daemonettes" can be created.

Areku
07-10-2009, 22:59
Also, keep in mind that Furies are not dedicated to a specific God. So use of them for march blockers, screens, war machine hunting and such is completely viable, just give them a Slanneshy feel!

Lijacote
07-10-2009, 23:01
Lijacote, my remark was not entirely directed as humor. It seems foolish to believe that only the males in the Warhammer world would be attracted towards Slannesh. As such, (despite the fact they'd be called Daemons) there is every possibility that male "Daemonettes" can be created.

You didn't get what I meant. I meant to say that there isn't a simple way to categorize the people who are attracted to masculine daemons. To state that only women are attracted to the Bloodletters is foolish to the point of provoking response! How very dire! Consider this my last post regarding this, since it is in fact horribly off-topic.

Paraelix
07-10-2009, 23:07
seekers are one of the best fast cavalary as they are m10

Negative. The best attributes of a fast cavalry unit are versatility and the ability to flee *really* far from enemies when needed. Seekers can... move... and charge things... And if charged, they have to hold.

Fast cav that get charged, usually end up a mushy mess on the floor.

Areku
07-10-2009, 23:09
If you dislike the spider conversion a simpler Warhound conversion may work nicely, but again, that wouldn't be mono-slannesh.

ps. Fail troll is fail, nice try Lijacote.

Areku
07-10-2009, 23:12
Negative. The best attributes of a fast cavalry unit are versatility and the ability to flee *really* far from enemies when needed. Seekers can... move... and charge things... And if charged, they have to hold.

Agreed, the fact that Seekers can't flee is a major downside to them. However, as a support unit in addition to Fiends tactical flank charges could still be managed. They're certainly not the best Fast Calv, but I wouldn't dismiss them either.

Paraelix
07-10-2009, 23:27
Agreed, the fact that Seekers can't flee is a major downside to them. However, as a support unit in addition to Fiends tactical flank charges could still be managed. They're certainly not the best Fast Calv, but I wouldn't dismiss them either.

I wasn't dismissing them. But they aren't the best fast cav. Personally I think that does to Dark Riders for sheer versatility.

minionboy
07-10-2009, 23:34
Well that's all fine, but then this thread isn't really about mono-Slaanesh then, is it? Just another undivided Dameon army.

I do love Fluffy Khorne Flamers though. They're in the Bible, you know :cool:

Well, I had more meant that I guess I would (reluctantly) make some conversions, but from the sounds if it, I shouldn't have to.

Areku
07-10-2009, 23:39
You shouldn't *need* to make conversions, but if you choose to then you may!

I wasn't dismissing them. But they aren't the best fast cav. Personally I think that does to Dark Riders for sheer versatility.

I was making a note for the OP, but I do have to agree with Dark Riders. ;)

However, as a Vampire player as well, my skeletons and zombies dislike fast food...

Lijacote
08-10-2009, 05:12
ps. Fail troll is fail, nice try Lijacote.

Excuse me?

Nathangonmad
09-10-2009, 14:53
copy cat thats how I did my seekers.

P.S. Haruhi is one of the best anime/light novels of all time...

Fix'd that for you bro.

isidril93
10-10-2009, 16:40

point taken

i guess that they ocme in really useful for flank charging and warmachine huinting (20 inches charge is no joke)

btw can heralds join fiends because if find that one of the problems of fiend is their base size...only 2 max 3 can fight a normal unit
a couple of extra attacks form a herald can add a bit of a punch

Areku
10-10-2009, 21:28
I'm pretty sure a mounted herald could join no problem. The only problem a herald on foot would cause is that the unit would have to move with the herald, lowering their movement. It's the same idea as a Vampire on foot can join a unit of knights, but they'd be limited to his movement. If you upgrade him with the lynci talisman this isn't a problem.

From what I recall (my army book is still at my dorm) As long as they're the same God you can join them in the unit. (I may be wrong though, as I can't look it up currently)

Anardakil
10-10-2009, 22:30
Areku; I just wanna point out that daemonettes arent women. They're daemons who resemble some sort of elegant mix between males and females, with a twisted feel of course. Look at the models more closely.

Mono slaanesh should work well. I havent faced them but on paper it seems quite deadly. Just be careful with your frail daemonettes and seekers who cannot flee from dangerous charges. And watch out for shooting with the Keeper. Some furies could help yeah.

Areku
10-10-2009, 23:00
Anardakil, I'm aware they're not actually women, but generally they have more feminine features. My mention fo bloodletters as deamonettes would be a more masculine mix of features (if converted slightly). It wasn't classing them as a specific gender, but more of a reference to overall features.

Anardakil
10-10-2009, 23:19
Okay fair enough. :)

.H.
11-10-2009, 17:04
I've found the toughest opponents aren't things with high armor (you can overhelm them with attacks and they will fail saves eventually), but things which have high toughness.

In these cases, your Demonettes will be useless, so leave them behind. I use my KoS with my friends to rip a flank and then come back to help my Demonettes who, by that time, are probably going to be getting the business.