PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with Wolfs. What should I buy.

Capamaru
07-10-2009, 12:58
A long time I been flirting with the idea to play space wolfs and with the new dex and models I think the time is just right :D. So I need your help on what should I buy to get an army at about 1500 points (or more:p) started.

I am thinking about the following

3xSpace wolf pack (2 will become Grey Hunters 1 Blood claws)
3xRhinos??
1xVindicator??
1xLandraider??
Drop pods??
HQ?? (which are the models for wolf lord and wolf priest?)

I also want to ask the following. How I will make Long Fangs? Devastator squad + bits from wolf pack?
Lone wolfs and wolf scouts will have new models?

Thanks in advance for any help :).

Tokugawa100
07-10-2009, 13:01
A long time I been flirting with the idea to play space wolfs and with the new dex and models I think the time is just right :D. So I need your help on what should I buy to get an army at about 1500 points (or more:p) started.

I am thinking about the following

3xSpace wolf pack (2 will become Grey Hunters 1 Blood claws)
3xRhinos??
1xVindicator??
1xLandraider??
Drop pods??
HQ?? (which are the models for wolf lord and wolf priest?)

I also want to ask the following. How I will make Long Fangs? Devastator squad + bits from wolf pack?
Lone wolfs and wolf scouts will have new models?

Thanks in advance for any help :).

I dont know about Long Fangs and Devestators but from what i can see you can make Lone Wolves from the Space Wolves pack or the Terminator pack.
There is no official model.

Haunted_Undead
07-10-2009, 13:06
2 rhino`s for your grey hunters

Mount your blood claws in the LR with an HQ. As for HQ models it depends what you`d like to use. There is the rune priest with plasma pistol there is also Njal or you could easily convert your own.

Wolf Lord model wise. If you want him in power armour you could easily get the Space Marine commander box and use bits from the SW pack box.

I see you have not included any Wolf guard terminators models which could be something you would want to look at also for a Wolf Lord.

For your Long Fangs you just need the devastator box and a SW pack box

Lone wolves again can be built using SW pack or WG termie box. It maybe advisable to get yourself another SW pack box just incase

isidril93
07-10-2009, 13:08
yeah some termies would be grea...get a lord or chap or something and pt them in the lrc

Petay1985
07-10-2009, 13:11
I would recommend looking at the 'wolf lords' section in the codex, pick one that you feel suits your play style and use the bits of information from there to help build a themed force representative of a particular great company!!

Think about the force before purchasing!!

Karhedron
07-10-2009, 13:11
I would get the Space Wolf Battleforce set. This includes 20 guys in power armour (Hunters, Claws or Wolf Guard as you choose) 5 scouts and a Drop Pod all for 50. This is like getting the Drop Pod for free.

I would see a core SW army as 2-3 large units of Grey Hunters as a minimum and a squad of Wolf Scouts as a minimum. A pack of Blood Claws is optional but work best in a Land Raider.

Long Fangs are quite good. A Devastator box will give you lots of choice and you can wolf them up with spares from the pack boxes. Wolf Scouts are also just normal scouts with wolfy bits added. There are no specific Lone Wolf models since they can have almost any wargear. Just make up an appropriate model and use it.

The HQ models are rather dated. The only Wolf Priest model is Ulrik which dates from 1st edition (along with Ragnar and PA Njal). There was a nice Wolf Priest made for Games Day 2003 which you might be able to find on eBay with a bit of luck. There is a decent Rune Priest model available. In fact the model only has a few Rune and could esaily be used as a Wolf Lord or similar by filing off the runes (or gicing him Runic armour). Logan Grimnar dates from around the same time and is OK although looks a bit skinny next to the current Terminators.

This brings us to the last option. Given the great new plastics for both power armoured and Terminator models, the easiest way to make most HQs is simply model one up in plastic. Lod the model up with lots of wolfy parts and spend extra time painting and detailing it.

Voila, custom HQ!

Capamaru
07-10-2009, 13:48
Thanks for all the quick responses guys :).

So to sum it up again I will go for the following

4x Wolf Pack (2 Grey Hunters, 1 Blood Claws, 1 Spare for Wolf Guards + bits)
2x Wolf Guard Terminators
1x Scouts
2x Rhino
1x Razorback
1x Land Raider
1x Devastators
1x Vindicator
Njal for wolf priest
Will convert one Wolf Lord.

I cant find the wolfs battle force. Can someone post a link on GW site :).

t-tauri
07-10-2009, 14:30
I cant find the wolfs battle force. Can someone post a link on GW site :).They've not put it up yet as it's not out until 17th October. It's not up for preorder either. Probably so people buy Wolf Packs rather than waiting a fortnight. Maelstrom (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_40k_ssw_ess_201_000) and the rest of the indies have it up.

Capamaru
07-10-2009, 14:57
They've not put it up yet as it's not out until 17th October. It's not up for preorder either. Probably so people buy Wolf Packs rather than waiting a fortnight. Maelstrom (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_40k_ssw_ess_201_000) and the rest of the indies have it up.

Hmmm think I will wait just a bit more :).

pookie
07-10-2009, 15:17
Hmmm think I will wait just a bit more :).

i would, and since you want to get 4 SW Packs, id get two battleforces, with the discount you could get online ( which would be enough to pay for the Dex in itself), getting the extra DP and Scout sqd imo is a bonus, if you decide you didnt need them, you could always try and trade them for something more useful.