PDA

View Full Version : Ogres any fun for newbie?

Samurai33
07-10-2009, 15:33
Gents,

I'm looking to get into the fantasy part of the GW universe and am considering starting an Ogre army. Anyone got any experience playing them or advise pro/against? Are they a good force for someone new to fantasy?

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Regards.

Agoz
07-10-2009, 15:43
They are a fun army, but one of the more difficult ones to get good with. As for rules, I don't think they are any more complicated than some of the other armies, they would be good for teaching you how to use tactics like hit and run, and redirection.

In the end, choose an army because you like the army, for example, my first army in 6th edition was vampire counts, though they were complicated to play, I enjoyed playing them, and thats what made them a good starting army.

Heres what the ogre pros and cons are:

Pros:
alot of large, powerful ogres and monsters
Cheap, throw away gnoblar fighters
Good characters, with high stats
ogres cause impact hits if more than 6" away from the enemy when they charge
Models are easy to paint, and there aren't alot of them
The army looks amazing on the tabletop
everything (except gnoblars) causes fear
interesting magic

Cons
restrictive unit and character requirements
low weaponskill in general
overpriced units
usually no rank bonuses
overpriced command choices
low combat resolution
relatively weak magic phase
low leadership
poor magic banner selection

Onidan
07-10-2009, 15:46
Well, OgreŽs are indeed fun and cheap to collect, but they are on the lower steps of the power level ladder.

Chances are that youŽll loose quite often in the beginning (depending on your gaming enviroment, unrestricted games see them having troubles, but restricted games tend to give Ogres next to none mali and thus they do quite well there), and that could be putting someone off who just started fantasy.

Tokamak
07-10-2009, 15:47
Ogres are one of the lower tier armies, so you will definitely not have an easy time as a newbie.

Samurai33
07-10-2009, 16:00
Thanks guys for the quick input. Some good pointers here, and much appreciated.

eyescrossed
07-10-2009, 17:21
They are a very fun army to play, I've heard, and conversion opportunities are only second to 40k Orks.

Agoz
07-10-2009, 18:14
They are a very fun army to play, I've heard, and conversion opportunities are only second to 40k Orks.

Yep, you can pretty much convert them to be from any part of the warhammer world, I'm working on a cathay theme myself.

scarletsquig
07-10-2009, 18:18
Fun army, won't win a bunch of games but that should vary depending on your opponents.

On the plus side, their battalion is the best value for money out of all the warhammer battalions, and it's really easy to paint a whole army... the models are big and there aren't many of them.

BlackVomit
07-10-2009, 18:46
Hi I'm also interested in starting Ogres, but for me they will be my second army after Orcs & Goblins. Since O&G are typically a horde army & Ogres are on the other end of the spectrum, how does one normally play with Ogres? Do you have MSU and try to outflank units?

Cheers

Seville
07-10-2009, 18:50
I think they look like a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind losing a lot. The nature of the army seems very weak to me. But I have never actually played with or against it, so have no idea.

But the models are beautiful and the theme is really fun. Worth a shot, I think.