PDA

View Full Version : Codexes. What's in them.

Borg451
07-10-2009, 22:48
Hi Guys.

In codexes they tell you about the army.. the backgroudn and all right?

what is in there that i actually need to play with that army?

the make up of a unit, the stats of soldiers/weapons and, force organisation charts right?

anything else?

marv335
07-10-2009, 22:50
A codex will have unit costs, stats, wargear, and any special rules.
Basicly if you don't have the codex, you can't play the army.

Borg451
07-10-2009, 22:58

I have the codexes but my abilitys make is hard for me to read it all..

i was asking what sections i could ask to be bookmarked for me by my helper/s so i can just read those parts.

(btw i am new to gaming as a whole too.)

thanks

Lord_Crull
07-10-2009, 23:00
Rules, fluff, pictures of models. Etc, etc.

Mánagarmr
07-10-2009, 23:01
I have the codexes but my abilitys make is hard for me to read it all..

i was asking what sections i could ask to be bookmarked for me by my helper/s so i can just read those parts.

(btw i am new to gaming as a whole too.)

thanks

Perhaps if you could explain what's "limiting" you, I, and possibly others can help you better.

What army codex is it you own?

grissom2006
07-10-2009, 23:06
You'd do better to go to a GW Store and get some intro games in they cover everything from rules and how to use a Codex. Also a local gaming club should be able to help as well as us pointing out what to look at and out for is going to lead to a lot of conflicting answers and idea's.

Gimp
07-10-2009, 23:11
I know of people who have never picked up the rule book and know the rules just by playing the game.

TheEndIsHere
07-10-2009, 23:26
I know of people who have never picked up the rule book and know the rules just by playing the game.

Do this if you play with friends, and try not to fight necron players (not to insult them, I'm part of you guys) just they seem to be known to not know their rules correctly.

Good luck!

D-End

Partisan Rimmo
07-10-2009, 23:38
Well, this is an interesting question!

Bare minimum, you can get by with the Summary Page, and then the entry for each unit which explains the special rules, for when you're gaming. When you're writing army lists, you'll need the section which lists points values and options for units.

Assuming you've written up your army list before the game, the stuff listed above contains pretty much all the raw data.

Hero adamite
08-10-2009, 00:58

^ Basically that, + it has lots of other useful information that is good/interesting to know such as background information about the army, paint schemes etc.

megatrons2nd
08-10-2009, 01:22
What is your problem? One of the guys I used to play regularly against(it's been a while now), is legally blind and needs help to know what he is shooting with and against at times. He is a fair player, even though he occasionally makes bad move do to his handicap.

Legally blind does not necessarily mean totally blind, for those who might not know. He can see vague images/ shapes and can read with difficulty. We tried to go easy on him at first which made him mad, so we just started treating him like every body else. He lost more but had more fun playing.

d6juggernaut
08-10-2009, 01:46
What is your problem? One of the guys I used to play regularly against(it's been a while now), is legally blind and needs help to know what he is shooting with and against at times. He is a fair player, even though he occasionally makes bad move do to his handicap.

Legally blind does not necessarily mean totally blind, for those who might not know. He can see vague images/ shapes and can read with difficulty. We tried to go easy on him at first which made him mad, so we just started treating him like every body else. He lost more but had more fun playing.

oh wow...where are you playing? cause there's a person with very bad eye-sight at my store as well

anyways, sometimes players who are unfamiliar with your army might want you to check the rules, it would be kind of frustrating if you don't have the written rules to back up you move.

megatrons2nd
08-10-2009, 02:04
It was in Portage IN at the time. I moved to Knox and haven't played him in a year plus. I saw him again about 6 months ago, he played at the time Marines, I believe he said he switched to Craftworld Eldar.

Borg451
08-10-2009, 15:57
Hello.

I am not blind. But i do have physical and learning disabilities which make it hard for me to take things in.

what chapters do i need to look at for putting together an army and fighting with them.

The ones i am looking at is Space Marines, Imperial Guard and Orks.

thank you.

Gimp
08-10-2009, 16:02
I once played a guy who was deaf

At first I thought he was not paying attention because he asked me to repeat everything made me a little mad but once he told me he was deaf I was cool with it. Was a fun game.

marv335
08-10-2009, 16:46
Let's assume you're playing a standard game of 40k.

You will be using the normal force organisation chart (FoC)

This means you need at least 1 Hq, and 2 Troop choices for a game legal force.

These 3 units are called your Compulsory choices

Once you have them, you can add;
a) 1 Hq,
b) 3 Elite,
c) 4 Troops,
d) 3 Fast Attack,
e) 3 Heavy support.

At the back of your codex is the army list. this tells you the points values (and characteristics) of each unit, and which weapons/upgrades they are allowed to take, along with the relavent costs.

Add up all the points for a unit, for example your character costs 100pts, you buy him a power weapon for 10 pts and a combi-melta for 10 pts, the total cost is 120pts.

add him to your army list, and subtract the points from the total limit for the game (for example, in a 1000pt game, you'd have 880pts left to spend)
Now you would do the same for your two Troop choices.

Then, once you've got the compulsory choices out of the way, you're free to spend the rest of the points on the other FoC slots mentioned earlier until you run out of points.

Hope that helps.

Hypaspist
08-10-2009, 17:11
Well Borg, I wrote a huge long spiel (and then realised that the wall of text was not going to help in any way)

What Marv said definitely, however regarding which army you want to play, which is probably a more immediate concern. It depends what sorts of themes you like.

Do you lots of WWI/WWII style tanks and lots of (squishy) men.

If so you may prefer the Imperial Guard

Do you like Green Brutish Aliens, who's whole civilization is based around fighting and who consequently go around fighting anything and everything that moves and shouting WAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH a lot "To Prove Dey is da Bestest!"?

If you are the sort of person that throws yourself into 'character' when reading a book or playing a game, Orks may be for you.

Do you like Tactical Super Humans who are good at everything and are Emperors finest warriors, employ a variety of weapons and vehicles though are generally outnumbered by the enemy?

If so Space Marines may be for you.

Marv is exactly right in that every game works from the basis of
1) a points total.
2) The Force Organisation Chart
(and works as Marv, in his badgery goodness, Described)

however depending on what aspects of the game you enjoy, it might be worthwhile thinking about what themes you like and enjoy playing/talking about to better enable you to choose an army that fits your persona best :)

fire away any questions and we can all help you find your army ;)

zoodog
08-10-2009, 17:30
I suggest you invest in a copy of army builder as it will help organize most of what you need to play into a few printed pages as well as help you put your list together. (something similar can be done with excell and some patience) Its not a substitute for a codex though and you should have one on hand.

Minimum bookmarks for those helping you
summery page
general army rules page
Page with HQ special rules
pages of any other units your using with listed special rules
armory special rules
The main book though is much tougher, hopefully your playing with someone knowledgeable (most people learn though play)