PDA

View Full Version : Starting Necrons..?

Matt1982
09-10-2009, 15:56
Hey folks, it's been a hell of a long time since I dabbled in 40K so was hoping for a little advice. I've been thinking of returning and starting a Necron army. I'm not too fussed about whether they're ultra competative, but are they still use-able, as I think it's been a while since their codex came out? On that point, is there any rumour of a new version coming out that's worth waiting for? One final question, are there any basic kits I should be picking up immediatly to start building the army from and any units to avoid like the plague?

Cheers
Matt

Scorcher505
09-10-2009, 16:06
Well there is talk of a codex being worked on for them (and they REALLY need one). You can still use them, and still win, it is just difficult as they have some severe downsides and not a whole lot of upsides to make up for it. I used to play Necrons, just sold all of mine actually, and you NEED monoliths, warriors, and a lord first and foremost. After that decide if you want immortals or destroyers, and then make sure you assemble those scarabs because they may be puny but they will save your butt many times.

thoughtfoxx
09-10-2009, 16:08
Welcome to the fold! I wrote a bit of a summary on one of my blogs around this question, its the 'Necron Army' link. :)

You cant go wrong with the battlebox. You will need a lord, monolith, a C'tan and warriors minimum.

You may be able to get some of this stuff off e-bay as well - a lot of guys were selling their necrons when 5th ed came out. You ask if they are competitive - there are a lot if different opinions on that score. They are no longer easy to play. They are also no pushover either. I like them though!

As to new releases? nothing on the cards and if the SW are anything to go by Necron players have to wait another 4 yrs for their update. This is rumour of course as is any commentary you recieve as to a codex update for them.

As to some of the more expensive metal units there are a number of good conversion blogs as to how you can make almost everything you need from the plastic model range.

Welcome to the Red HArvest and good luck!

Matt1982
09-10-2009, 16:22
Cheers guys, thanks for the very quick response. I love the imagery of the army and the fluff behind them, units like the flayed ones and wraiths look excellant. I'll scour ebay over the weekend and pick up a cheap codex and battlebox. My regular Fantasy army is Beasts of Chaos so I'm happy playing a more 'challenging' army, glad to hear Necrons aren't considered over-powered actually. Thanks again guys, I'll go have a look at that link and read up a bit more.

Bonzai
09-10-2009, 19:15
Necrons are still workable, though they suffered 2 hits in 5th edition.

1. The new Combat resolution: Now it's very easy to get swept in one turn. If your swept, then there is no WBB and it's 180+ points gone in one round of assault. Warriors are very prone to this, and usually losing your 2 minimal squads of warriors count for about 50% of your phase out total. So rushing the warriors in assault becomes the opponents fast path to victory.

2. Changes to the glancing rules: Now that it is no longer possible to destroy a vehicle on a single glance, the majority of Necron's anti-tank comes down to relying on rolling multiple 6's. This makes is a little more unreliable.

If you can get around those issues, you should be fine. I play a wraith wing, and do ok.

Oh, and the New Codex is apparently still in the concept phase. They have been working on the new fluff, and that's all we know. It has also been stated that they well be after Dark Eldar. If they keep with the 2-3 codex a year policy, then we can probably expect them some time in 2011, after Tyrannids, DA, BA, and DE.

The Inevitable One
10-10-2009, 03:20
Welcome to the harvest! I myself have just started Necrons and so far it is a blast. I would look at getting a Necron Battleforce or a Necron Warrior Phalanx for a solid start. The Necron Battleforce is $90 and comes with:

7 Scarab Swarms
28 Warriors
3 Destroyers

The Necron Warrior Phalanx is a bit tougher to get considering Games Workshop does not sell it online anymore. If you go to your nearest Games Workshop they may have one. If you happen to find one, your lucky. It is $200 and contains the following:

1 Necron Lord with a Resurrection Orb
48 Necron Warriors
12 Scarab Swarms
6 Destroyers
1 Monolith

Codex: Necrons came out about 2002, so it is rather old. Is it still playable? Yes, it just depends on how good the person playing it is. As for avoiding models, it is up to you, for it is your army and your play style is most likely different to others. I would start off with getting some of the core units like a Necron Lord, Warriors, and a Monolith. From there you can add a bit of this and a bit of that.

Some people consider Necrons to be overpowered because of the We'll Be Back rule, but in reality all armies are balanced to some degree. You can roll a dice for each model that was killed during the last turn to see if it is able to get back up and fight once more. If you roll a 1-3 it stays dead, but if you get a 4-6 it gets back up. Phase Out is one of their weaknesses and occurs when your Necron army is reduced to 25% or less. This excludes C'tan, Monoliths, Pariahs, Scarab Swarms, and Tomb Spyders.

They are currently on the list for a new codex and possibly newer models. If you are interested in what models have for their strengths and weaknesses you can look at this Necron Tactica article from the Games Workshop website:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=200008&section=&pIndex=0&aId=11300001&start=1

Good luck and have fun harvesting!

The Inevitable One

thoughtfoxx
11-10-2009, 16:03
2. Changes to the glancing rules: Now that it is no longer possible to destroy a vehicle on a single glance, the majority of Necron's anti-tank comes down to relying on rolling multiple 6's. This makes is a little more unreliable.

Until yesterday I would have agreed with this. Yesterday I shot a 10 man squad of Warriors at a vendetta that had just moved over 12". He failed his cover saves and I got a 6 result on the glancing table. yep. One destroyed vendetta! it brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye I tell you.

Just to balance out this fantastic result my deciever charged an immobilised chimera and managed to tear 2 weapons of it. I hate it when the probability gods torment us like that.

If they keep with the 2-3 codex a year policy, then we can probably expect them some time in 2011, after Tyrannids, DA, BA, and DE.

You forgot Tau. Therefore I expect sometime in 2012. Late 2012. At the earliest.
That said, any rumours or predictions of a codex release date are purely speculative and with GW's current media blackout policy it is really anyones guess.

susu.exp
11-10-2009, 16:12
Well, we have had confirmation that one of the designers is working on C:Necrons. While I donīt expect 2010, 2011 (and quite possibly early 2011) appears to be a reasonable date.

MoonReaper
11-10-2009, 16:58
Battleforce is a necessity I would say. It has scarabs which are always useful as well

MUST have units
-Destroyers
- a few Heavy Destroyers
- Ctan (deceiver)
- Scarabs
- 1 or more Monoliths

Nice units to have
- Immortals
- Wraiths (very nice to have a wraithwing. Cant have Wraiths and Destroyers in the same list if you want the list to be good eg you need 9 wraiths)
- More heavy Destroyers
- Destroyer lord

AVOID units
-Many pariahs (maybe 4 are not bad to have due to the LD effect)
- Flayed ones (awesome models though)
- Tomb Spider (maybe 1 max, awesome models however)

-

Matt1982
12-10-2009, 10:52
Cheers for all this, the codex is now in the post winging its way to me. Sad to hear that Flayed ones and Spiders are to be avoided, love the look of those guys. On the other side, very glad to hear a mass of wraiths isn't a bad thing though and I'm a big fan of monoliths and scarabs too so it isn't all bad!

Dyrnwyn
12-10-2009, 11:19
Until yesterday I would have agreed with this. Yesterday I shot a 10 man squad of Warriors at a vendetta that had just moved over 12". He failed his cover saves and I got a 6 result on the glancing table. yep. One destroyed vendetta! it brought a tear of nostalgia to my eye I tell you.
Vendettas are open topped?

thoughtfoxx
12-10-2009, 14:45
nope. skimmers moving flat out that are imobilised are destroyed.

Tethylis
12-10-2009, 14:54
Vendettas are open topped?

Not open topped, but an immobilized result is enough to kill a skimmer if it moved flat out

Regarding necrons however i dont think there is anything wrong with investing in a few tomb spyders. I take at least 3 in my army and am working upto field 9 in a full list. For only 55pts you get a MC that can draw alot of small arms fire and with +2d6 for armor pen thay are quite good at tank smashing, most units only real chance of hurting them in CC is with Power Fists or maybe a good furious charge.

A nice trick i learned is to use the Tomb Spyder to create a scarab base then join the lord to that unit and they will all become Toughness 6 thanks to the majority rule, any wounds can then be allocated to the scarabs with their +1 cover save this can make quite a resilient unit

The only unit i would really stay away from is Wraiths, they are far too expensive for a small fragile unit (by necron standards) that will often just get ripped to bits by small arms fire. Lack of power weapons and small unit size makes them somewhat lacking in CC

Commisar
12-10-2009, 14:56
I have a 3000 point Necron army, and in my experiance they can still be good fun to play.

Some of the units, like Flayed ones are fairly terrible, but depending on how large your army get, youll probably end up getting some for verity anyway, and they are nice minitures.

The Main thing with Necrons is, if you can trick the opponent into shooting you C'tan and your Monolith over and over, you win. Once they work out they have to kill your regular Warriors first, it can be harder to pull a win, but with clever deployment you can still force them to take on other targets.

Bonzai
12-10-2009, 19:24
The only unit i would really stay away from is Wraiths, they are far too expensive for a small fragile unit (by necron standards) that will often just get ripped to bits by small arms fire. Lack of power weapons and small unit size makes them somewhat lacking in CC

I couldn't disagree more. Wraiths are some of my favorite Necron units. The key is that they need support to work right. Mainly, 2-3 full units of them, and a destroyer lord with a res orb. They will chew through most units and vehicles for that matter. With str 6 and 4 attacks on the charge, they will rip through most things. In fact that is the biggest danger with wraiths. You worry more about them chewing through a unit too fast and then being exposed to return fire. However with a Lord and several units it will take nearly an entire armies fire power to take them down. They don't do so well vs terminator equivalents or Nobz, but they can certainly tie them down for most of the game with their inv saves and res orb support.

Imperius
12-10-2009, 20:52
Necrons have taken the butt end of 5th ed. But there are constant rumours of a new codex.

Arakanis
12-10-2009, 22:46
Necrons suffer primarily from the changes to combat resolution. Basically, if you didn't want your warriors in close combat before, you REALLY don't want them in it now.

The deceiver is key in large games because he'll get you out of those nasty assaults with little trouble. Same deal for monoliths. You want to use that energy matrix to pull the warriors out of assault before it gets bad. This was kind of always the way it worked, but it's even more crucial now, because you just cannot hold your own against even moderately skilled assault unit.

P.S. The signature of the poster above me is NOT a lie. ;P

A.Gentleman
13-10-2009, 02:54
P.S. The signature of the poster above me is NOT a lie. ;P

OH NOES! You've created a paradox!!:D

A1TEC
13-10-2009, 08:49
Go for it...I love playing necrons...they are a really challenging army to beat