PDA

View Full Version : Black Knights conversion

Magic Karl
09-10-2009, 16:57
Hi to all.

As any VC player will know, the Black knight models aren't great, even going as far as to say they're awful might not be too far off (in comparison to newer released models of course, I could never sculpt so well obviously).

Many VC players simply convert their own, but from empire or bretonian horses. What I find bad about this is the fact of the steeds being Skeletal, where empire horses clearly aren't... however the simplest conversion that makes sense I haven't even heard discussed, or mentioned yet, which is Tomb Kings with Grave guard torso, arms and heads. I'm aware this doesn't allow for barded armour without some sculpting (same goes for matching the legs), but in-game this seems to match the theme quite well.

So is it worth me buying the TK cavalry & Grave Guard for the conversion (2 spare for wight kings :D), or would my conversion be wasted on some unforeseen detail within the models (scale, alignment issues etc)?

gorenut
09-10-2009, 18:00
From what I've seen.. unless you green stuff some kind of leg armor on skeletal legs, it comes off looking strange. The best conversions I've probably seen was someone kitbashing Grave Guards, Dark Elf Cold One Knights, and then sculpting barding on skeletal steeds.

Malorian
09-10-2009, 18:23
Best I've seen is empire knights with skeletal legs replacing the regular ones.

Then do whatever you want for the knight riding it.

BigbyWolf
09-10-2009, 18:32
A cheap way of doing it is seeing if you can get any of the old Undead horsemen from ebay or the like. They already have lances, then just use some greenstiff/ bits to armour them. It's what I did, they look good enough, and I have 19 Black Knights that set me back around 15.

Midevil216
09-10-2009, 20:11
This supposed campaign next summer is supposed to have calvery releases for alot of armies, at lease that is what I have read here, so maybe the Black Knights will be released next summer. I am going to wait until then and just proxy them in for the time beign.

Midevil216
09-10-2009, 20:12
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217779

This is where I seen it.

Jedi152
09-10-2009, 20:16
Mine are Empire horse barding over skeletal steeds, bretonnian legs, grave guard bodies and heads and skeleton spears.

Magic Karl
09-10-2009, 20:59
Even better would be if some people could post pictures of their conversions, or other's (with credits due)... hell this could even be a competition :p

Dr. Acula
09-10-2009, 21:40
I did mine with ethereal painted elven steeds to give them more of a wraith-like appearance as opposed to skeletal. I used Bretonnian knights with skeleton heads and spears for the lances and I think they've come out reasonably well.

Gaargod
10-10-2009, 01:15
If you want to be lazy, empire knights box + skeleton/grave guard heads looks fine. YOu just have to paint them to look like wights, as opposed to actual skeletons.

syrme
10-10-2009, 08:30
if you have the cash you could use this skeletal steed

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300345&prodId=prod1140295

along with the graveguard parts.

the_picto
10-10-2009, 11:00
I was lazy and skipped the whole conversion step. Mine are empire knights with the armour painted to look rusty and the horses and any visible skin on the rider painted to look ethereal. They look ok, though the orange rust has turned out a bit bright.

Griefbringer
10-10-2009, 12:15
I would think that trying to use the tomb king riders as a basis would look too light - you really want to have some folks with properly armoured legs. And most plastic knights legs would not probably look that good on the undead horses, being rather spread out.

I think a better option would be to try to skeletonize the Empire/Bretonnian horses (cut pieces of skeletal horses to replace some of the original bits), or to paint them up like zombie horses (with zombie knights as riders). Bretonnian horses actually show very little horseflesh, so they are probably the easiest option to go with.

Sylass
10-10-2009, 18:43
Bret. Knights + Tomb King horsemen/horse bitz + Grave Guard torsos, shields, green stuff etc are what I chose as a basis for Black Kights. Lots of different bitz but they seem to work quite well. Attached you'll find my first try at converting a Back Knight (sorry for the poor picture quality, no daylight left).

Melchiah
10-10-2009, 18:56
To be honest Ive never liked the skeletal steeds, I always liked the idea of them riding Nightmares. This way you can keep your barding and not have to make GS over the skeletal ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=%22nightmare%22%2B%22horse%22&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=&start=0

shredshredxx
10-10-2009, 19:50
i went with the idea that they're ethereal steeds, but not necessarily skeletal. mine are just empire knights, with the horse skin/fur painted in the same manner that the 'eavy metal team paints their wraiths, plus shields from the skeleton kit, minus their heads, plus bloody greenstuff'd stumps.