PDA

View Full Version : Least played Army?

Draxonicar
09-10-2009, 22:38
What do you all think is the least played army, and why

Edonil
09-10-2009, 22:42
At the moment? I'm going with Dark Eldar. Terrible models, old rules, nearly non-existent in most groups. At least with the Inquisitorial stuff, the models look great and will show up as allies every once in a while, if not full armies.

Although, I suppose I should also mention Kroot, Squats, and any list from Eye of Terror excepting Traitor Guard...

darker4308
09-10-2009, 22:42
It's dark eldar. The models are awful. It only has a few very functional builds. That would be for an overall army. There are certain builds that are also very rare like pure SOB witchhunter, inquistorial stormtrooper army, footslogging eldar .... It's kinda a hard question to answer.

Absolutionis
09-10-2009, 22:43
Space Wolves 13th Company
These players are even less common than the Lost and the Damned players. Plus, they're furries and Warhammer suffers not the furry to live. Regardless, they're a really old codex and almost all tournaments don't acknowledge.

If you're talking about something that some tournaments acknowledge, the Kroot Mercenaries are the most uncommon. I am basing this purely on the fact that I never met anyone who played and that they never had a formal printed Codex

If you're talking about Codex armies, I am going to make a guess and say Daemonhunters. They're overcosted in points, each of their models are metal, and the army costs a lot to gather. They also don't leave much room in terms of conversions. Finally, they're not very competitive. The reasons are arguable, but Daemonhunters are quite sparsely played.

Draxonicar
09-10-2009, 22:44
ah, I've heard that dark and blood angels are also rare, but that's just from what I've seen

Edonil
09-10-2009, 22:48
We've got three of each in Erie PA (Blood and Dark Angels) who continue to use their Codex, whereas I'm the only one who fields pure Sisters of Battle (or I would, if I didn't really want to use the Grey Knights I own).

And one Dark Eldar player who owns said army but never uses it.

AFnord
09-10-2009, 22:58
Not counting minor sub-armies (like those in campaign books), I would guess daemon hunters, followed by dark eldar & witch hunters.

Laurela
09-10-2009, 23:01
Dark Eldar, I've only ever seen one DE army in my gaming group

Draxonicar
09-10-2009, 23:01
I'm thinking of either doing a BA+DH army, or of doing a kroot/vespid heavy tau force, and so I don't wanna be accused of hopping on the bandwagon or being called cheezy

Kulgur
09-10-2009, 23:02
Dark Eldar, then probably DaemonHunters who just pip WitchHunters to second

The Inevitable One
09-10-2009, 23:09
To my knowledge it is the Dark Eldar. This is probably due to their models and codex being rather old. Their models have been pulled from most Games Workshop stores, but can still be purchased on their website. Dark Eldar players are rare to see, or at least in my neck of the woods they are.

The Inevitable One

Archangel_Ruined
09-10-2009, 23:13
WH and DH are pretty rare, they're expensive to buy and have old lists with a fair few issues. DE have the same codex problems, and whilst cheaper to collect they're *****. Most of the armies I see with these codeces, however, are very nicely done and usually horrific to play against as the builds that work are nasty. Verr nasty...

Absolutionis
09-10-2009, 23:18
DE have the same codex problems, and whilst cheaper to collect they're *****.I assume you have never or rarely played against a good Dark Eldar list then. Dark Eldar are a rather strong army.

Mánagarmr
09-10-2009, 23:24
I would 'reckon Dark Eldar for that title, with Necrons and Daemon Hunters fairly close behind.

I haven't seen any of these three armies played in a long time in my area.

Archangel_Ruined
09-10-2009, 23:24
No, for some reason warseer has starred the word f-u-g-l-y. Now, to the best of my knowledge this isn't an expletive (it was clean enough to be used on the Simpsons). As I said, there are DE builds that make me shudder, rapid firing shouldn't be a second turn do or die job...

Draxonicar
09-10-2009, 23:28
Just how popular are BA? in 1 thread I hear they have a big following, in another I hear they are near extinct

guillimansknight
09-10-2009, 23:32
I use DE with Kroot merc. Which is pretty rare.

LonelyPath
09-10-2009, 23:34
Ultra Smurfs and Black Templars are the rarest in my group, no one uses C: SM, lol. We have 1 DE, 1 Nids, 2 Crons, 3 Ork, 1 CSM, 1 Daemons, 2 Inquisition, 1 pure SoB, 1 pure GK (me), 2 BA, 2 DA scattered among us, we have pretty much all but 2 codeci covered.

TheEndIsHere
10-10-2009, 00:33
ah, I've heard that dark and blood angels are also rare, but that's just from what I've seen

I hear DA players whine more than Daemon hunter, necron and dark eldar. They might have less players but DAMN do they whine.

On topic, legal army:

Dark eldar or a sub army of a main (like black templars).

If you don't mind being very close to one, you could use a not very used SM special cahracter or a Tau with that red battle suit, so on.

Best of luck!

D-End

Bunnahabhain
10-10-2009, 00:34
The self confessed cookie cutter cheesey unit internet list army.

People have identified the least used codexs, but people will say they're a pure Daemon Hunter player, or Dark Eldar player with pride.

Try getting anyone to say that they've just copied their list off the internet, right down to the wargear amongst the Nob bikers.....

Raibaru
10-10-2009, 00:56
Dark Eldar and Necron are probably pretty close when it comes to low representation. Basically anything that has poor rules (DA, BA, Necron, Khorne/Tzeentch/Slaanesh CSM) or an enormous lack of support from GW with large gaps in new releases (DA, BA, Necron, BT, DE, Tyranid) are going to see less players as they fail to keep up with newer lists.

People just forget them and as they play the game longer people tend to shift toward lists that perform less so then ones that simply exist.

Tooooon
10-10-2009, 01:20
Wait, is there any actual offical rules on Kroot Mercenaries? I thought there used to be something on the GW website, but can't seem to find it anymore

Kulgur
10-10-2009, 02:18
Wait, is there any actual offical rules on Kroot Mercenaries? I thought there used to be something on the GW website, but can't seem to find it anymore

On the old website there was yes, old rules from 3rd ed or so but I think they still work

IcedAnimals
10-10-2009, 06:36
another vote for dark eldar. And that is probably why GW is taking their time with em. screaming on the forums "we want them" isnt what they listen to. They listen to cash and no one is buying or playing them.

honestly I would collect them all it would take is new models. Their rule book is actually quite strong even if outdated. Their current are just so old and terrible.

around here not a single person plays deamon hunters. I am about as close as you get and I only bought a couple grey knight termies for my witch hunter army since my group had a "omg terminators" phase a while back and everyone was fielding as many as possible.

AFnord
10-10-2009, 11:08
Yes the old kroot merch list is still legal (though not very good). It's most likely even rarer than DE, DH, WH, BA & DA, but as it's one of those mini lists that never got much support i'm not sure if it's fare to say that they are the least played army. They have 2 unit types that you don't need to convert (unless you want any particular wargear on your kroot master shaper, although I think think that he had that many options to begin with).

bigcheese76
10-10-2009, 13:22
Dark Eldar are probably the least played army because they are desperately in need of a new codex. I dont see many Sisters of Battle or Daemonhunters players either, ut this could be down to the fact that the armies are mainly metal and therfore very expensive.

TimLeeson
10-10-2009, 14:05
Is this question restricted to just official armies ?

if not, id say us minor-xeno race players are the least played since we have to use counts-as and convert everything.

the1stpip
10-10-2009, 14:50
It all depends on the area.

In my area, we have three Dark Eldar players (me being one of them), but I never see sisters, Necrons or Eldar (shock, I know).

There are certainly plenty of loyal and traitor Marines, and a few puppies coming out to play.

Dexter099
10-10-2009, 15:10
You know, I get the feeling that even though the DE players are rare, they're not so rare as to be nearly extinct.

brawnyman1989
10-10-2009, 15:48
At the Chicago Battle Bunker, on the average Saturday there's 1 to 2 Dark Eldar players. One day though, there was 5! But I would agree that Dark Eldar are really rare, for all the reasons mention above.

Kulgur
10-10-2009, 16:34
It kind of depends what you call a DE player, I know plenty of people with DE armies who just never play them

Hero adamite
10-10-2009, 16:39
Would have to say Dark Eldar, hopefully when they redo them they wil be nice and more people will start collecting them :p

Absolutionis
10-10-2009, 18:16
People that have Dark Eldar actually play them from time-to-time because they're still rather viable. Their darklances are stupidly cheap and a list full of Wyches and Warriors and Raiders is as boringly viable as it was decades ago.

However, people that have Daemonhunters rarely play them.

Finn
11-10-2009, 02:45
You're all wrong about DE.

Absolutionis is right - DH are the rarest of the rare. It's a strange mix of mediocre-but-not-terrible rules and mediocre-but-not-terrible models. Not to mention that they're all metal, hardly anybody starts them because not only are they pricey points-wise but they hit your wallet hard as well. Plastic GK's would have went a long way towards us seeing more of them, IMO. Witch hunters are almost as uncommon, but IMO are the more viable standalone list.

Around here though....it's been the longest since I saw any Daemonhunters aside from an Elite IQ with 2 Mystics once or twice. Necrons and Tau are down there as well, seems the players who had them have mostly moved away or don't play much anymore and nobody has started them.

Ianos
11-10-2009, 05:45
I think it is Inquisition in general too. Especially DH who on top of expensive and the other drawbacks Finn described, are hard to play and considered sub-par due to many reasons, forcing older players to withdraw and discouraging newcomers to join (heavy 3, non rending assault cannons anyone?)

As for DE yeah they got ugly warriors but are VERY competitive, the germans play them a lot as it seems from tourney results and they have a unique style that will draw a huge fan-base when the new codex is released. They are also easier to assemble and probably paint.

-IronWarrior-
11-10-2009, 07:04
Least played army according to GW is Dark Eldar but I think it's strictly because of their models.

The book itself is very competitive.

I have 4,000 points of DE and I can honestly trash any list in the game with that army.

The only issue is roughly 80% of the units in that book are useless.

Only units worth taking are Warrior Squads in Raiders, 2 Lords, Archon and Dracon w/ full 9 man Incubi retinue, Ravagers and an occasional unit of Witches as a filler.

With the new skimmer rules the army is very viable. Excellent options for the Warrior squads.

In an 1850-2000 points game I can field 12 skimmers lol

Souleater
11-10-2009, 10:00
No, for some reason warseer has starred the word f-u-g-l-y. Now, to the best of my knowledge this isn't an expletive (it was clean enough to be used on the Simpsons).

Well, the 'F' is an expletive. People are allowed to use WTF here, or on TV. So...yeah...odd.

OT: DH, WH, Tau, Dark Eldar - each off these armies I've played and seen only one other person play.

Da_Killa
11-10-2009, 12:49
probably dark eldar

Agnar the Howler
11-10-2009, 12:59
I've never seen a DH army, but i've seen 2 sisters armies, 2 necron armies, 3 nid armies, and 2 Deldar armies along with 1 BA army. I'd vote for either DH, DA or BT, since they're the only armies that i've yet to see played.

Hawkmoon
11-10-2009, 13:24
The real question is, Do the Dark Eldar have low representation because the models are under-par or are the models under-par because they have low representation and GW doesn't think it worth their while to reboot the model range?

Interestingly enough people seem to forget that when the DE first came out they were somewhat popular and their models were about the same level of craftsmanship as the models in other armies. So what went wrong...?

thoughtfoxx
11-10-2009, 14:20
Its Dark Eldar. Not because they are a weak army. Its because there is no support for them from GW, fluff, model or rules wise. How many of you would go out and buy an outdated, unsupported operating system even if it was the best one in the world?

PS where is the poll?

SensounoTenshi
13-10-2009, 15:07
That's a good question Hawkmoon... I remember when DE came out in 3rd edition. There were loads of DE players... they do seem to be lacking in luv from GW. Maybe they're trying to move away from the fantasy battle parallels they did before. Who knows maybe De will go the way of the squats...
Oh and I vote DH... I have the book and 1/2 an army. I gave up on it... you're looking at 2/3 of your points in a 1500 point army on 4 squads of 10... without upgrades... they're not that good. Also I've only seen one DH on the field and at least a couple DE players within the last little while...

polymphus
13-10-2009, 15:12
Search function, search function
oh miraculous search function
This thread comes up every two weeks
I'm sick of turning my cheeks
Please use search before posting
Or I'll loose my will to live
and rhyme

*ahem*

For the record, I've never once seen DH on the table, as opposed to knowing three regular DE players and two WH players. I've never seen daemons though. Not once. One man's gaming experience is hardly the best evidence, but just pointing it out.

Poly

Kroggath
13-10-2009, 17:07
Dark Eldar. But if and when they get a new Codex and model range, I forsee that changing dratically. I had a small DE army that I recently sold to a buddy of mine who quickly built it up from 500 points to well over 2000. He hasn't touched his Space marines army since, thank the Emperor.

As for terrible models? The only models in that army I would consider terrible are the wyches, grotesques, and haemonculi. The troops look better then CE Edlar to me, and the vehicles are full of win. And Dark Elf Witches make excellent replacements (which is what I used for Wyches before I sold the amy).

Bloodknight
13-10-2009, 17:45
Interestingly enough people seem to forget that when the DE first came out they were somewhat popular and their models were about the same level of craftsmanship as the models in other armies. So what went wrong...?

The first book was crap which (even more useless units than now because the wyches were useless), in my experience, got people to stop playing them, and when the codex got its reprint most of the range was already lagging behind of what the other armies had for models. Many of the metal models are pretty crappy and some of them even were when they were new (Mandrakes especially). The plastics aren't actually that bad if you leave off the spikes and go for a monotone paintjob; it's the ridiculous colourful paintjobs that people used to paint them in (aftermath of the red period ;)) that makes people think the Warrior models are crap; the amount of detail isn't that bad, and at least there's not a quarter of them miscast in every box like it is with Firewarriors (just look at their legs...).

Bonzai
13-10-2009, 20:23
In my shop, the one army I have not seen played is Chaos Demons. In order of popularity the armies at my shop are;

1. Space Marines (ultra, salamanders, Imp Fists, etc..): Lots of these.
2. Imperial Guard: Nearly as many guard armies as there are SMs.
3. Chaos Marines: We have about 4 Chaos players.
4. Tyrannids: About 3 full tyranid armies, plus a guy who plays smaller games.
5. Eldar: however this is a back up army, as most of the Eldar players play other armies as well.
6-9: Tau, Necron, Sisters, and Orks all have 2 players a piece.
10-14: BA, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, DT, Space Wolves (though I imagine this will change with the new dex), all have 1 player a piece.
15: Chaos Demons: I have yet to see them in action.

Desert thunder
13-10-2009, 20:53
Definitly Dark Eldar, I have never seen one completed model except in pictures.

Cognitave
13-10-2009, 22:02
Statistically, in our group, Chaos Daemons.

We have 1 Daemon Player.

But of our 2 Dark Eldar players, 1 is always overseas and doing other stuff, the other has been working on his new 'guard list. Our top 5 are probably

1.) Guard
2.) Marines (go figure)
3.) Chaos
4.) 'nids
5.) Eldar

hmk17
13-10-2009, 22:20
Dark Eldar, overall.

Around these parts it has been about 4 years since I have seen a DE army on the table.

Haven't seen many Black Templars or Witch Hunters lately either. Daemons are also pretty light.

Max Jet
14-10-2009, 00:19

Wait.. do you mean in 1998 that was standard?
God I love the future!

Bloodknight
14-10-2009, 01:17
If you mainly compare the plastics, the DE models are lots better than almost everything that was out then, especially other armies' plastic models (monopose Nids...) and much other stuff. The only models that I preferred to the DE are the metal Guardsmen by the Perrys (no plastics were available which made IG armies ridiculously expensive because the metals were not actually cheaper then than today, look it up if you don't believe me) and some SM/CSM characters by Jes Goodwin - there's a reason why most special characters from the mid-90s are still in use (Kharn for example). If you want to see bad models I'd like to point you to late 90s metal CSM.

Dexter099
14-10-2009, 01:56
You're all wrong about DE.

Absolutionis is right - DH are the rarest of the rare. It's a strange mix of mediocre-but-not-terrible rules and mediocre-but-not-terrible models.

They are still the best army out there if played correctly, even if there is only one way of playing them (with a few variations), though it does tend to get boring sometimes.

LazarusKing
14-10-2009, 04:41
The Legion of the Damned list from Chapter Approved. Especially NOW, with the models going for some real money. That or some of the metal IG. Any variant list really. Feral Orks, Harlequins(okay, maybe not them, diehards as they are) and others are getting increasingly harder to find.

madprophet
14-10-2009, 05:02
I would say it's either Dark Eldar or Inquisitorial armies.

Writerski7
14-10-2009, 05:03
Genestealer Cult armies.

Hawkmoon
14-10-2009, 06:02
If you mainly compare the plastics, the DE models are lots better than almost everything that was out then, especially other armies' plastic models

Quite true. People who play today are spoiled with all these fantastic plastic kits. Just look at the Orks and gretchen that they released with the 2nd edition box! The Dark Eldar plastics were light years ahead of them. As for the DE metals they were OK then, not great but passable. They haven't aged well since then, especially compared to the armies today.

Maybe it was just the group I gamed with but there were 3 DE players when they were first released but by 5th Edition only one still played the army.

And I try to block out the memory of the late 90's CSM models. Lets just say it looked like they were all wearing dishwashing gloves! :p

Finn
14-10-2009, 09:15
And I try to block out the memory of the late 90's CSM models. Lets just say it looked like they were all wearing dishwashing gloves! :p

Yeah, it took them a while to make a proper-looking gauntlet (I know they're all gauntlets, but the ones that are more pronounced from the rest of the arm...).

Murphy's law
14-10-2009, 09:17
Dark Eldar, Kroot Mercennary's, 13th company.

Sir_Turalyon
14-10-2009, 13:22
I would say deamon hunters and niche armies like Deamon hunters. !3th company too, if it's still a legal army.

static grass
14-10-2009, 13:25
Squats....

genestealer_baldric
14-10-2009, 13:48
eldar off all styles are very few and far between in my store. i think i could count all the games in the past 2 years on my hands against the pointy eared ones.