PDA

View Full Version : Picking an army

Thoras
09-10-2009, 23:52
I've been playing with starting fantasy for ages now but am struggling to really get in to it. Rather than buy loads of models and find i don't like an armies play style, i was hoping folks could throw some ideas my way on the army that is (most likely) to suit me, some guidelines,

* I'm one of those perfectionist painters who takes ages, so preferably not a 'horde' army.
* Pref an evil race (not ogres though, they're my one race boycot)
* Strong magic phase
* Fun not cheese

Any thoughts?

grissom2006
10-10-2009, 00:03
40K No Magic
Orges aren't in 40K they have Ogryn's almost the same thing, their a Imperial Guard unit.
Evil Races Necons, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines or you have Tyranids.

Tyranids heavy models wise and new Codex is said to make them even heavier.
Necrons not bad but require a good hand to use well.
Chaos Daemons/Space Marines both great armies.

As to you playing style well only you can know that and your not going to see how it works till you try them. So best bet is get down to a GW and see if you can try a store version of the armies. If you can't then your next bets are watch them being used or see if a games club member would let you play along side him to see what they are like.

Bunnahabhain
10-10-2009, 00:18
If you want a lowish model count army, with powerful psychic powers your best bets are:

Chaos space marines
Space wolves

There are lots of people looking to use the space wolf rules to count as chaos marines, so also meeting your evil critera as well. They look to have the potential to be cheesy, but just be careful with your unit selections, and you'll be fine.

Vaktathi
10-10-2009, 00:28
I've been playing with starting fantasy for ages now but am struggling to really get in to it. Rather than buy loads of models and find i don't like an armies play style, i was hoping folks could throw some ideas my way on the army that is (most likely) to suit me, some guidelines,

* I'm one of those perfectionist painters who takes ages, so preferably not a 'horde' army.
* Strong magic phase
* Fun not cheese

Any thoughts?

I guess what do you define as "low model count" and what points level? You can make low model count armies even with traditionally "horde" lists (e.g. IG Mechanized Vets, Ork Nobz lists, Nidzilla, etc).

Also, "evil" is sort of ubiquitous in 40k. Chaos is adversarial, but the Space Marines won't hesitate to do horrific and terrible things if they feel they are required, the Inquisition has no qualms with butchering billions of people to accomplish their goals, the Imperial Guard will trample and destroy anything they need to and will attack and exterminate/conquer any alien races and non-Imperial humans they come across simply on principle, the Eldar will butcher colonists in their homes if they feel they are trespassing on their precious maiden worlds, the Tau will bomb a world form orbit for refusal to join the greater good, etc. You can make any army you want to into an "evil" archetype.

That said, for a quick and dirty, Chaos Space Marines fulfills all of your requirements at a glance.

w3rm
10-10-2009, 03:17

* Strong magic phase
* Fun not cheese

Any thoughts?

Ummm shouldn't this be in Fantasy General Discussion? Just a thought for a Fantasy army...

laudarkul
10-10-2009, 10:12
If that's about Fantasy,do not forget that this is 40k section. If you still want an army perfect with your guidelines (except one:) ) I would say go for High Elves. If you want a "bad" army with a strong magic phase, maybe Dark Elves.
As for 40k I would say CSM.

The Red Scourge
10-10-2009, 10:48
Dark Elves or Warriors of Chaos :)

Absolutionis
10-10-2009, 14:10
If you want an 'evil' race in 40k, I suggest Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Tyranids, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters, or Necrons. Any one of those armies is 'evil'.

Tooooon
10-10-2009, 14:46
Indeed, as people have said, all of the races in the 40k universe could be classified as "evil" in reference to modern day standards of good and evil.

Only good race I can think of is Squats, and alas they were eaten ^^