PDA

View Full Version : A new player with a vets army.

CraftworldsRus
10-10-2009, 04:37
Well, today in my local GW there was a new-ish Eldar player, about 12-14, if I had to guess. Anyways, the GW staff had sold the kid on the Eldar Army box. He already has a few units, but the thing is, I don't really think the Eldar army box is a great deal or a great army. Too many Guardians, and I don't love the fact it has a Falcon.

Anyways, the young'un and I got to talking, and he set up a game against another player, using the new wolves. New kid lost. So, after his game, he came and asked me what he did wrong. I gave him some pointers, and then someone else wanted to play him(a guy of around 24). I suggested the new kid try out some other units, since he planned to make a large Eldar purchase in the near future, and gave him free pick of my nearly fully painted Eldar collection. So, he had access to everything but Dark Reapers.

His game starts. His opponent is a known power gamer, so I was surprised to see him bringing the IA Zombie horde with Necrosis and a Leman Russ executioner, 2 squads of Plagues in Rhinos(with meltas), and the rest zombies. The new kid had found in my case a pair of Falcons, Eldrad, and 10 warlocks. "Oh no"...I think to myself, "he stumbled on my(4th ed) tournament list. But there is no way such a new player would know to...". He did. Through almost chance, he ended up with Eldrad and the Warlocks in a Serpent, 9 Destructors, and Enhance. Cringe. He had found a few other things too, like my Rangers, but nothing else too bad.

Anyways, he wrecked his opponent, hard core. Problem being, his opponent, a long time vet, lost with such poor grace. The whole game he moaned about how the kid list-tailored to beat him. This kid didn't even know what Imperial Armor or Forgeworld WAS until the game started. He then lectured the poor kid about how list-tailoring was immoral and that he would make sure no one ever played him again ect.

I guess I didn't know how to react, how to make the new kid feel like he didn't do anything wrong and the vet was out of line. Thing is, new kid is a having fun, good sportsman type. I just don't want him shamed out of the hobby by a jerk, or getting a bad view of older vets.

Bouncl
10-10-2009, 05:19
That's awful! You should let the kid know he wasn't doing anything wrong the next time you see him. It'd be awful if he quit the game because he did well :/

IcedAnimals
10-10-2009, 05:21
If you were there listening to him moan and you know the kids situation I would have butted in. Informed the power gamer of the situation and that he needs to not get so butt hurt and emotional over a game especially when dealing with younger kids who it might put off from the hobby having to deal with raging nerds.

Mánagarmr
10-10-2009, 06:11
You showed a lot more restraint than I would of, I'd of had a chat with the veteran and informed him the only thing worse than being a cheese gamer, is being a bad-sport.

Drazhar83
10-10-2009, 09:24
Just tell the kid everything you told us. And tear the cheese gamer a new one. Throwing a tantrum like that you would think he was the kids age.

Skraal2099
10-10-2009, 13:10
...Throwing a tantrum like that you would think he was the kids age.

Actually, that was probably something a 6 year old would do, not a 12-14 year old.

JHZ
10-10-2009, 13:34
Too many Guardians in the Battleforce? You get 10, which is the minimum unit size. And no other Battleforce gives you much beyond a transport, and maybe some walker(s).

Col. Tartleton
10-10-2009, 14:36
It's this crap why I just enthuse about the fluff and do the hobby aspects instead of playing games.

Why do social outcasts with pent up emotional trauma and complexes and the lack of social skills caused by a life spent in self induced isolation have to ruin things for people... It's something to do to pass time, not a sport. If people care about winning play football or baseball or something. Its a game, no one gets upset when they lose monopoly because it just means they had bad luck or got outplayed (both usually) there isn't much you can do about it.

Urath
10-10-2009, 14:50
I've seen this kind of thing before, from a store worker no less. These are the people who were bullied in school, for looking different or having different interests or for whatever, often shallow, reason. Yet, after spending the rest of their time in self induced isolation and spending lots of money on small models they emulate the bullish behaviour and inflict it on much younger children and ruin it. Make threats, lecture and act like they're the boss.

These were people I'd often defend and, seeing stuff like this, it makes me glad that the **** was often kicked out of them. I just wish I was there, adding to the pain.

brawnyman1989
10-10-2009, 15:52
That's terrible, it was a new kid getting into the hobby and some vet has a poor attitude. It's a miniature game for goodness sakes, not something actually important

banik
10-10-2009, 16:23
I agree with some of the above. You should have stepped in, informed the older guy how exactly the kid made his list, and then take the older guy aside and explain to him how he's being a poor sportsman, how he's like twice as old as the kid and has a responsibility not to be a douche, etc.

polymphus
10-10-2009, 16:28
Beyond finding the kid and telling him that he hasn't done anything wrong, there's little you can do really. The guy's just pissed about being beaten by a kid. Good for him. He should step outside the shop, take a deep breath, and then realise he's getting worked up over toy soldiers.

Hadafix
10-10-2009, 16:38
You should talk to the kid and make an example of the Vet player. The kid seems to have a talent for the eldar, or maybe the game in general, and it would be a real shame if he were to quite because of some cry baby.

Whats up with some gamers!?

lowrider
10-10-2009, 16:51
sadly it seems that some players expect to win as they have "the bestest stuff" or have been in the hobby for years and if a less experienced player comes along and happens to kick their butt then they get steamed about it and let rip at them telling everyone that they are cheating powergaimers or WAAC players its sad but it happens.

the best thing you can do is talk to the kid and tell him he did nothing wrong and maybe offer to play him and coach him in how to play better if he is a good kid one disgruntled vet isnt going to deter him from the hobby.

CraftworldsRus
10-10-2009, 16:53
Too many Guardians in the Battleforce? You get 10, which is the minimum unit size. And no other Battleforce gives you much beyond a transport, and maybe some walker(s).

Not the Battleforce, the 200 or so dollar all plastic Eldar Army. It has a less then ideal mix of units.

Hero adamite
10-10-2009, 17:02
Im actaully surprised that a 24 year old Veteran was complaining, probably just a sore loser because he lost to a beginner.

Vesica
10-10-2009, 17:11
As said tell him he did good.

It annoys me to see people lose with bad grace, hell i lost to my GF twice when i was teaching her the rules (and i was trying to win /cry).

Amareo Davion
10-10-2009, 17:39
What a jerk. Its a shame you didn't make him eat humble pie but you can tell the kid he did good and did nothing wrong. That was probably one of the kids first wins(if not his first) and so he shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.

Alexlee
10-10-2009, 18:28
If you cannot stand losing, then don't play at all.
A good thing the vet got what he deserved for his behaviour!

Amareo Davion
10-10-2009, 19:00
If you cannot stand losing, then don't play at all.
A good thing the vet got what he deserved for his behaviour!

Um the vet didn't get any punishment.

Mannimarco
10-10-2009, 22:06
ah a vet powegamer getting beat by a newbie who (accidently) discovered a power list, things like this make me happy hehe

ill second whats been said elsewhere, the reason the vet was complaining is he sees it as an insult to be beaten by a new player.....of course it would also be an insult to him if the all powerful vet powergamer had to get his kudos from beating new players (oh you managed to beat sombody who has only ever played a handful of games and only one game with this new list? how nice for you)

Alexlee
10-10-2009, 23:17
bah I mixed up with other peoples comments >_>

Mosedeke
11-10-2009, 02:42
As said tell him he did good.
hell i lost to my GF twice when i was teaching her the rules (and i was trying to win /cry).

Hate it when that happens. "Oh, yeah honey, I'm going easy on you. Yep. Would I lie to you? Now would you stop tabling me?"

And be sure you talk to that kid and tell him to keep playing. Good life lesson to him: some people are jerks, no matter how old. Take it and keep rolling.

-=Lazuli=-
11-10-2009, 02:50
What's wrong witht the army set? Guardians are awsome. Drop them off from a Wave Serpent with a Shirikan Cannon and they can mow down most weak sqauds (Tau, Guards,small squad of orks, etc.)

Oldguny
11-10-2009, 05:33
they can mow down most weak sqauds (,small squad of orks, )

when are there any small squads of orks. lol:D;)

Did anyone else in the shop see this? They also should have done something if they saw what happened.

pauduro
11-10-2009, 11:00
lol a VET is just some one that has played MORE than others not means he is smarter let him cry :cries:

and hop you beat the crap out of him next lets see if he has de ba*** to lectur an adult :angel: