PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit- Effect on model range?

LordLucan
10-10-2009, 11:48
So, does GW have the rights to make models for the hobbit films? If so, what sort of new models could we be expecting/looking forward to?

Obviously, we'd be new getting models for the thirteen Dwarves and Bilbo. We'd also get Bard the Bowman and the men of Laketown. And Smaug obviously.

However, I've also heard the new director wants to alter the appearance of wargs, and the trolls in the Hobbit are of course very different. Will we be getting alternative wargs and such-like? Also, I wonder if the reason GW are holding off on the Stone Giants is because the Stone giants will be in the hobbit. If they end up making a 'The Hobbit' line, they'd end up having to change the thing's appearance.

Anywho, I just thought we could discuss this here (or is this topic more of a topic for the modelling sub-forum? If so, I apologise for putting this in the wrong place in advance!;) )

Nuada
10-10-2009, 14:55
Yeah they got to rights a while ago. It's difficult to add to the range GW has already done, because alot of them already exist.
I've heard they want to do the "comings and goings of Gandalf" in the hobbit movie, which basically means the White Council storming Dol Guldur. But the white coucil already exist.

You could add Beornings to your list
(woodmen of mirkwood?)
Bolg the son of the Great Goblin
Iron Hills dwarfs
another Thranduil figure

The best opportunity for a game will probably be the battle of five armies, maybe that as a WotR scenario

Adyger
10-10-2009, 14:56
You might be right about the Stone Giant. That was the book they were actually mentioned in right? (or am I thinking of the FotR?). Yeah, the trolls especially were completely different in the Hobbit. They "spoke" and wore clothing with big pockets. They seemed much more intelligent and less beastly than how they were portrayed in the LotR films (and the books too I suppose).

mrtn
10-10-2009, 18:01
Nuada, you could add Azog to that list as well, he's getting chopped by Gandalf, after all. Possibly a Smaug as well.

Somewhat unrelated I just bought my first LotR plastics, some dwarf rangers. I'm painting up half of them as Thorin's friends, with hood and beard colour. Not sure what I'll do about Dwalin's blue beard, though... it's blue-grey ATM.

Baggers
11-10-2009, 08:55
Stone Giants are briefly mentioned in passing in the Hobbit. In terms of new models. We'll see Bilbo, and 13 dwarves, Beorn, a new Legolas and lots of Dwarves, Elves and Goblins.

Dr Death
11-10-2009, 11:36
Well the trolls for the Hobbit are quite interesting in that they were already designed in Lord of the Rings for the scenes when Aragorn and the hobbits come across them. Whether Guillermo del Toro will accept that as 'sorted' or whether he will want them redesigned (perhaps the faces dont have enough character or whatever) is a big question.

Personally, having read that scene again quite recently i would imagine this will be a case where the screenplay will tread carefully away from the written version with less anthropomorphic trolls in keeping with the Cave and Mordor trolls of the films. We may even see the trolls given their own language rather than speaking in the 'common tongue' subtitled for the scene (i am a supporter of the 'star wars' method of alien language when it comes to talking beasts in The Hobbit: have them speak in their own tones with subtitles rather than try and get them to speak english).

As for the rest of The Hobbit, it offers a chance to see a whole swathe of middle-earth that isnt so much as touched upon in the Lord of the Rings films. Ironically it's going to render a hell of a lot of GW's supplement work entirely moribund. All their Dwarf stuff, Mirkwood, Dol Guldur, it's all going to have to be replaced come the release of the films. In some cases this wont be any great pity but it's going to be very interesting to see just how close stylistically GW are to Weta (i have a sneaking suspicion that the Khazad Guard may very well be close to the Dwarf rank and file in the film).

The other thing that it will have a direct effect on is the 'War of the Ring' element of Lord of the Rings: We'll now have official figures to show the attack on Dale and Erebor, the assaults on Lorien from Dol Guldur etc.

As for the Wargs, personally i would imagine PJ and GdT will not try to 'replace' the current wargs but probably try and justify the redesign as a 'different breed' (in the same way Bilbo's trolls from the film look significantly different to the exact anatomy of their other trolls). The Hobbit wargs will probably be shown as the LotR warg's northern forest cousin, differently adapted than their plains dwelling counterparts.

Dr Death

LordLucan
11-10-2009, 12:24
GdT said he wants to change the Wargs, as he wants them to look like 'demonic wolves' rather than being hyena-like.

I would be interested in how the three trolls will be portrayed. Perhaps they will wear clothes like that troll from the Arnor supplement? With ragged patch-work clothes and such-like?

Dr Death: I do suspect much of the Dol Guldur stuff would be have to be re-designed.

Incidentally, what do we reckon the Men of Dale soldiers would look like? Similar to the men of Rohan? Or more Dunlending-esque? Or something totally different? ;)

mrtn
11-10-2009, 20:50
GdT said he wants to change the Wargs, as he wants them to look like 'demonic wolves' rather than being hyena-like.

I would be interested in how the three trolls will be portrayed. Perhaps they will wear clothes like that troll from the Arnor supplement? With ragged patch-work clothes and such-like?

Dr Death: I do suspect much of the Dol Guldur stuff would be have to be re-designed.

Incidentally, what do we reckon the Men of Dale soldiers would look like? Similar to the men of Rohan? Or more Dunlending-esque? Or something totally different? ;)I'd like the wargs to be more wolf-like, I never really like the film versions.

The Men of Dale should be like the Rohirrim, they're related.

Nuada
11-10-2009, 21:10
Incidentally, what do we reckon the Men of Dale soldiers would look like? Similar to the men of Rohan? Or more Dunlending-esque? Or something totally different? ;)

I've always thought of the Men of Dale looking somewhere inbetween Rohan and the Grey Company. Blues and greys as their colours.

precinctomega
12-10-2009, 08:17
I could see them releasing "Mirkwood Trolls" (or wherever it was that Bilbo met the trolls, because it's been about 20 years since I last read the book) as a more intelligent sub-species of troll.

R.

mrtn
12-10-2009, 10:43
Rhovanion Trolls or something, they meet them in the Wilderness, before they reach Rivendell.

jaws900
14-10-2009, 10:17
If you remmeber that in the Hobbit the Goblins where riding "Wolfs" not wargs. Hence why they are called "Wolf Riders". So this could mean that we get new wild wolfs etc which would just have a lower strength maybe. There are alot they could do tho.

Dwarves;
They could do every one of the 13 dwarves with possbily new rules for Balin and the long awaited Gloin. However remember that only about 5 dwarves did anything important too in the book.

Men;
We should get Brad and maybe some new plastic men from Laketown which will be fantastic.

Elves;
We should get some more heaveily armoured Wood elves and maybe an new Thanduril(Tho the Hobbit never actualy says his name and always calls him the Elf king or something like that). We might also get some new Rivendale elves and maybe a new Elrond.

Goblins;
We should get atleast 2 new named heros for goblins for the king who lead the battle of five armys and the ruler that Thorin(I think) killed in the misty mountains. We might also get Wolf riders or some sort of cavalry for goblins.

Other;
We would almost sertanly get a new Gandalf and obviosly Grimbeorn too and maybe some Beornings. I would expect that we would get Plastic Eagles and maybe new modals for Gwaihir's brothers(That legions promiced). We also should get Smug of course and the Stone giants too.

I am really looking forward to both the film and the modals (New modals out in less than 2 weeks ^-^)

precinctomega
15-10-2009, 12:20
We also should get Smug

I'm already smug! ;)

R.

jaws900
15-10-2009, 16:26
I'm already smug! ;)

R.

That is one of the worst puns i have ever heard........well done! :D

N810
15-10-2009, 16:41
How about the often forgoten...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beorn
Beorn the guy who can shapeshift into a large black bear. :D

Bladelord
15-10-2009, 20:56
There'll certainly be quite some releases following this, notably of heroes/villains (dwarves in barrels, anyone?), hopefully plastic Great Eagles and Giant Spiders (useful for Warhammer), the Beornings, Smaug, Dalemen, and of course some more goblins. And dwarves, I really hope there'll be more dwarves. And elves! :)

Those named stone trolls will probably be released, with a specific miniature for each one. I am really looking forward to this, although I wouldn't be surprised if the current, small new "Legions of the Eye" wave will be more interesting than the Hobbit releases.

We shall see.

Dr Death
16-10-2009, 11:32
I've just remembered that actually The Hobbit will have a really serious implication on the Lord of the Rings model range since it is likely that in renegociating the liscence will have to organise the terms distribution of the pre-existing range. The implications of this may be that many of the models currently available might become direct only (i would imagine that for models made by GW with the liscence from the Tolkien Estate at least). You're also likely to see a complete rebranding of the game with a new starter box themed to The Hobbit.

I wonder to what extent though the game will be rebranded. Obviously you cant call it 'Lord of the Rings' but it'd imagine that the studio wont be so blind as to ignore the existing consumer base, so would we be looking at the 'Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game': the MESBG?, 'War in Middle-earth'? Obviously not 'War of the Ring' since that's taken. Actually, until we start getting photos of the film i think this is the more interesting question than the actual models (sad arent i? :p)

Dr Death

jaws900
16-10-2009, 13:35
Maybe LOTR-5Armys