PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Ogres: Damn near a horde!

Ganymede
19-01-2006, 04:48
This is my latest ogre army design. It focuses around a large number of drops (16) and a large number of models (119). With 16 drops, I can easily outdeploy my opponent and hopefully keep my strategy hidden until after the first turn. My large numbers of relatively cheap units will make it more difficult for my opponent to prioritize his shooting and magic, and will allow me to bait chargers with relative ease.

I have a modest magic defense with four dice and two scrolls, and my most important unit is virtually immune to magic thanks to its banner. The rest of the targets are thankfully worth few points. As for magical offense, I'll have six chance to cast some spells a turn. Not too bad.

Combat wise, I have a number of threats. I have numerous, quick flankers which can bait chargers and overwhelm. I have several units of gnoblars which are backed up with leadership 9. I have trappers and leadbelchers to help against more maneuverable enemy units. I have a maneater and slavegiant that can use their maneuverability to lend a couple wounds to a combat when it is truly needed.

What do you guys think?

Drunken McLoud (Tyrant) @ 281 Pts
General; Luck Gnoblar; Heavy Armour
Wyrdstone Necklace [20]
Tenderiser [50]

Butcher @ 155 Pts
Dispel Scroll [25]

Butcher @ 155 Pts
Dispel Scroll [25]

4 Ironguts @ 247 Pts
Look-Out Gnoblar; Standard; Musician
Runemaw Banner [20]

3 Ironguts @ 144 Pts

5x3 Ogre Bulls @ 575 Pts
Musician

2x2 Leadbelchers @ 220 Pts

1 The Woodsman (Maneater) @ 90 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour

1 Slavegiant @ 175 Pts

4x20 Gnoblars @ 160 Pts

8 Gnoblar Trappers @ 48 Pts

Casting Pool: 6

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 119

Total Army Cost: 2250

Ganymede
20-01-2006, 02:47
Wow, I love it. Add some DoW canons.

made_of_metal
20-01-2006, 03:57
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
that made me smile

Actually i think that list is well thought out. The only thing i would be worried about is table space and terrain slowing you down.
The other question is how will you handle knights, like the brets, who are the bane of most ogre armies?

Ganymede
20-01-2006, 05:35
I have two ways of dealing with knights. Firstly, I can shove a gnoblar unit in their most aparent charge tragectory. They are either going to charge the nusiance or take the time to go around. In either case, they are will be in a fairly predictable position (either about where they started or about 12 inches directly forward.) in which I can set up an appropriatte counter charge.

I can also do the same by fleeing with one of my many cheap ogre units. My bull units will be rallying on 8-10, and can set up a deadly flank charge with a giant, unit of bulls, or something even nastier. While slavegiants aren't too hot against big targets, they are golden against cavalry.

I will tell you though, it takes finesse and a lot of balls to get right in a bretonnian army's face like that. Hell.. normally that's the last place you want to be.