PDA

View Full Version : The Old Space Wolves special characters

Astraeos
11-10-2009, 01:53
Hey, while looking at Space Wolves on Lexicanum, it mentioned in the 2nd Edition codex http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Space_Wolves_(2nd_Edition)
there were three special characters that I had never heard anything about, and there obviously weren't any models ever made for them either. The characters I'm on about are Durfast of Mordrak, Ranulf and Wolf Lord Kyrl Grimblood.
I've looked but unfortunately the site only has a tiny bit of info about Kyrl Grimblood, the other two have no articles about them at all.

I'd like to know more about these three, like what their background/fluff is, did they have any unique rules and what was their wargear?
Does anyone here know?

sigur
11-10-2009, 02:46
Durfast of Mordrak: Very cheap points-wise, Wolf Guard champion, wears the Helm of Durfast (re-roll to hit for shooting attacks with a minor twist). Storywise, he defended some sites from lots of Orks. Comes with power armour, bolt pistol and grenades.

Wolf Guard Ranulf: Huge bugger, said to be even bigger than Russ, used to push Land Raiders around. Him and his squad of Wolfguard terminators held some narrow passage against "thousands" of Orks so some other Space Wolves could retreat. His mates fell one by one and Ranulf was overwhelmed too in the end. When some SW returned to get the corpses and the equipment and stuff, they found the bodies in some hastily built shrines the Orks had built them because they were so impressed by Ranulf and his squad. Ruleswise, he always leads a squad of Wolf Guard and no other units, wears terminator armour (powerfist/stormbolter) and has a special rule that lets him strike one attack at Strength [MUCH] instead of using his normal number of attacks. His base strength stat is also very very high. (one point more than Grimnar)

Wolf Lord Kyrl Grimblood: Badass Wolf Lord who broke a massive siege of heretics trying to overrun the Fang (because it's awesome to try to throw one of the most ferocious SM chapters out of their quasi deathworld fortress) during the Age of Apostasy. He and his Great Company had taken a trip "into" the Eye of Terror and returned just in time to smash into the enemy lines from the rear and like totally kill them all dead. Regular Wolf Lord stats, usual equipment options (comes with power armour, Bolt Pistol and Grenades plus stuff you buy for him). Has a special rule that grants your army an awesome strategy rating.

Hope that helps.

Hellebore
11-10-2009, 03:27
Arjak is probably as close as you'll get to Ranulf. Always liked him, but apparently marines can't be bigger than primarchs, makes the primarchs less uber and the kids cry. The space wolves retreating due to defeat by orks and Ranulf dying to protect the retreat is what I'm talking about.

This is the grim darkness of the far future where heroes burn just as well as heretics and traitors when plasma bombs are dropped on their heads. It's not superhero land where a lucky teleporter, alien twin, clone, or mirror universe doppelganger takes the hit and leaves the hero alive.

It seems GW have simply forgotten what their own universe was supposed to be...

hellebore

Astraeos
11-10-2009, 23:01
Thanks for the info, nice to know something about the other heroes of the chapter.
Seem Kryl and Ranulf are dead in the current timescale, which explains why they aren't in the new codex seeing as GW seems to only include characters who are currently alive in their codexes, and as to why they retconned Lysander's death to merely just being captured.

Is Durfast still alive though?

AndrewGPaul
11-10-2009, 23:38
I think all of those characters were "historical" - at least, in their army list entries they were all described in the past tense.

sigur
11-10-2009, 23:50
Of course there are also characters around who are dead. GW wouldn't fall for the silly assumption that there is a "current time" in 40k. Nork Deddog is dead for example.

Caiphas Cain
11-10-2009, 23:55
Of course there are also characters around who are dead. GW wouldn't fall for the silly assumption that there is a "current time" in 40k. Nork Deddog is dead for example.

He's not dead! He's activley serving in the Vostroyan Firstborn!

He's not dead... :cries:

sigur
12-10-2009, 00:25
Suuure, he lives at a farm now at Vostroya and is really happy there. :eyebrows: :cheese:

Astraeos
12-10-2009, 00:36
Nork's dead? That's news to me!

I was kinda under the assumption that there is a current timeline at the moment with everything leading up to some catastrophe, like for example the Golden Throne is beginning to fail.
I know Eldrad is dead but still has rules in the current Eldar codex, but Lord Solar Macharius doesn't currently have rules, but Eldrad is the Eldar's most iconic character so it makes sense he's not gone for good.

Shamutanti
12-10-2009, 01:21
I thought Macharius was dead >_>

Hellebore
12-10-2009, 05:35
Nork retired at the ripe old age of 115 and died on his home world.

Unless he's really LYSANDER IN DISGUISE!! Stupid GW and their obsession with superheroes in a universe they created where superheroes get squashed as easily as a chump... :eyebrows:

Hellebore

pookie
12-10-2009, 10:49
Wolf Lord Kyrl Grimblood - he may make a apperance in the next WD.

The Clairvoyant
12-10-2009, 11:46
i have a vague recollection that in WD, they had a conversion for Ranulf where they used a standard wolf guard terminator and bulked him out. Can't tell you the WD number but seeing as i only bought WD between 167 and 220-ish, its something in that range :D

There may well be a pic somewhere on the interwebz, though i haven't been able to find it yet

Leeman Russ
12-10-2009, 12:18
If it was the UK White Dwarf, it was something like 186 - Kim Syberg (might not be how it's spelt) had a big feature in it.

pookie
12-10-2009, 13:34
i have a vague recollection that in WD, they had a conversion for Ranulf where they used a standard wolf guard terminator and bulked him out. Can't tell you the WD number but seeing as i only bought WD between 167 and 220-ish, its something in that range :D

There may well be a pic somewhere on the interwebz, though i haven't been able to find it yet

If it was the UK White Dwarf, it was something like 186 - Kim Syberg (might not be how it's spelt) had a big feature in it.

ive every WD since 140 - and dont remeber this artical at all.

The Clairvoyant
12-10-2009, 13:41
ive every WD since 140 - and dont remeber this artical at all.

You'd better get revising then!

186-ish would be about right. Space Wolves were released around WD169-ish and it was quite a while after that.
And i'm sure it was before the layout change from 200 onwards.
So there you go, have a look at your old WDs from 169 - 199

And the name Kym something does ring a bell.

pookie
12-10-2009, 13:52
You'd better get revising then!

186-ish would be about right. Space Wolves were released around WD169-ish and it was quite a while after that.
And i'm sure it was before the layout change from 200 onwards.
So there you go, have a look at your old WDs from 169 - 199

And the name Kym something does ring a bell.

im fairly confident i dont :D

but

im not near them at the mo, so couldnt check till tonight, by then it may have been answered on here :)

The Clairvoyant
12-10-2009, 14:29
It was WD 185

But a little digging has found the model here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/28488

pookie
12-10-2009, 14:49
It was WD 185

But a little digging has found the model here:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/28488

well i can honestly say ive never seen that converstion before ( or more acuratly paid attention to it before :D )

WD185 you say, you wouldnt know what Pic that had on the front would you? ( i can find em quicker if i know the cover art )

The Clairvoyant
12-10-2009, 14:55
ultramarines if memory serves

Ahh, linky linky

http://www.gamehobby.net/white_dwarf_magazine/white_dwarf_185.html

Karhedron
12-10-2009, 15:17
Space Wolves were released around WD169-ish and it was quite a while after that.

SWs came out WD 157. I still have it somewhere. ;)

The Clairvoyant
12-10-2009, 15:27
sorry, i was referring to the 2nd ed space wolf codex rather than anything else

Astraeos
12-10-2009, 19:32
I thought Macharius was dead >_>

He is, I was using him as an example of a character who is dead and once had rules but doesn't currently.
I guess I wasn't being clear enough.

That is a very nice Ranulf conversion and paint job! The artist's name rings a bell, I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere.