PDA

View Full Version : Challenges from the rear?

fishound7
11-10-2009, 04:45
If a unit is attacked from the rear and has a charactor which is in the front rank am I allowed to issue a challenge still or do i need to be in base contact to issue the challenge??

nosferatu1001
11-10-2009, 05:00
See BRB Faq part 1.

The character needs to be "involved in the combat", i.e. fighting in it. IF they are not fighting in the combat then you cannot issue a challenge to them.

Nurgling Chieftain
11-10-2009, 05:00
A character/champion can only issue or accept challenges from base contact. Note that they will be able to move into base contact later if the combat continues.

wena
11-10-2009, 05:01
The character has to be in base to base contact with an enemy model for it to accept or declare a challenge. (too slow - as above)

fishound7
11-10-2009, 05:05
OK if a charactor is in combat from the front and the unit is attacked from the rear am I able to issue a challenge?? the charactor is in combat just not with that unit.

nosferatu1001
11-10-2009, 05:16
Yes, you are then in a multiple combat - see page 5 of the first BRB FAQ, which talks about what happens if odd things happen in multiple combats.

Essentially, if the character is in combat you can issue it a challenge.

Shield of Freedom
11-10-2009, 06:25
Be careful with your wording you don't issue challenges directly to characters. I saw it twice in this thread. One character (or champion) in a "fighting" rank issues a challenge, then the other player may choose any character (or champion) that is in a fighting rank to accept that challenge.

Condottiere
11-10-2009, 08:49
If the challenged player declines, he has to retire the character model to the rear of the unit.

Doesn't that bring that character model back into combat, assuming that the rear is still engaged?

Belerophon709
11-10-2009, 09:27
If someone declines, then the OPPONENT may pick a character or champion to retire.
Retiring is USUALLY done to the back ranks, but in fact it doesn't have to. A retired character has to be placed somewhere within his unit, where HE IS NOT ENGAGED IN CLOSE COMBAT.

If this isn't possible, the challenge cannot be declined.

Bele

Foxbat
11-10-2009, 13:28
@fishound7, one last thing to keep in mind.
Even though your character may not be in combat this close combat round, on your next movement turn and assuming the unit is still in combat, an unengaged character can be moved into a position to be in combat (BRB, pg 74)

jaxom
11-10-2009, 22:42
If you win combat and change facing, the unit command and characters then move to the front of the unit unless already engaged in b2b with something. This is a way of getting a character into combat on your opponent's turn as well. Note that once a character *is* engaged in b2b with something, he is not allowed to move under any circumstances unless he is answering a challenge.