PDA

View Full Version : New 40k army, dunno what to collect...

eyescrossed
11-10-2009, 08:11
I've decided that, after I finish my Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Warriors, I'm going to collect another 40k race.

I was originally going to collect Ogres in Fantasy, but I only know 2 people who play Fantasy. One's a bit of a dick, and the other (you know him as killboss)... Well, that leaves me with killboss, who is the only non-dick Fantasy player, compared to the 4 or 5 40k players.

I collect Daemons, Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids and Eldar.

I want an army that has a lot of conversion potential, but can be built normally and still look great, and with reasonable internal balance.

So, what should I collect?

Thanks in advance.

eyescrossed
11-10-2009, 09:58
Or... Not. 20 views and no replies. Nobody knows what army I should collect?

After some pondering, I'm thinking Orks.

ekalb
11-10-2009, 10:02
The orc biker army is extreemly good... but I would go with Tau. They are just cool.

slayerofmen
11-10-2009, 10:21
take a green tide and as you get bored replace orc sluggas with other stuff so basicaly:

1500pts 2 warbosses and roughly 160 boys

drop the boys as desired and add things that are orcy

Corpse
11-10-2009, 10:32
Chaos, Daemons, Eldar and Tyranids.

Could wait to save up for updating your tyranids when the codex comes out. Finish off your other armies for apocalypse and/or planetstrike until nids codex arrives. Lightly spend if you want to save for nids, though.

Aside from all those, very little in the game retrospect that you cant taste with those 4. Got the dance-around stuff with eldar, rough tough marines in chaos and numbers/swarming/monster lists with the rest.

Orks, I do say one thing. If you combine lots of orks with different ranges, close combat/18" and long range and/or vehicles then the army will feel easily picked apart by methodical armies.

With orks, you have to bash with a flowing force of similar range/focus units. Lots of shoota boyz with stormboyz is a good combination. First or second turn shoot and assault with most of the force, annihilate a target and move on. Combine a few shooty units with a melee force and its like a numerous zerker army with a few predators.

Think of what you like with orks if you want to be numerous. You move a lot of guys, and roll lots of dice. Figure out what appeals in that. Owning a lot of orks myself made it hard to enjoy unit I found my spot with them. I enjoy 2 warpeads with 2 tankbusta units (teleport them around if I can) with 1 loota unit, 3 units of 20 shoota boyz inside 3 battewagons with 4 rokkits+kannon each. Wagons roll forward, unload all 20 orks and I get a good first turn of firepower, then they hop back in for a 7" move(red+1", no penalty) and fire out of an open topped vehicle. Or keep it still to remove other tanks so its easier to use my tankbustas. Trade the bustas around if its wiser to have them inside my wagons.

Pretty fun force and it entails a style of shooting I can't get anywhere else.

My advice on an army for you though would be to expand on your existing armies as they are now. Finish up painting what you already have if something isnt done, because collecting more will be more weight on the nerves to complete it.

eyescrossed
11-10-2009, 11:32
The orc biker army is extreemly good... but I would go with Tau. They are just cool.
Tau... No thanks :p
I suppose they're cool, but they have no conversion potential whatsoever.

take a green tide and as you get bored replace orc sluggas with other stuff so basicaly:

1500pts 2 warbosses and roughly 160 boys

drop the boys as desired and add things that are orcy
That's a good idea, actually.

I'm tempted to do that, but I don't want such a big "swarm" army.

Chaos, Daemons, Eldar and Tyranids.

Could wait to save up for updating your tyranids when the codex comes out. Finish off your other armies for apocalypse and/or planetstrike until nids codex arrives. Lightly spend if you want to save for nids, though.

Aside from all those, very little in the game retrospect that you cant taste with those 4. Got the dance-around stuff with eldar, rough tough marines in chaos and numbers/swarming/monster lists with the rest.

Orks, I do say one thing. If you combine lots of orks with different ranges, close combat/18" and long range and/or vehicles then the army will feel easily picked apart by methodical armies.

With orks, you have to bash with a flowing force of similar range/focus units. Lots of shoota boyz with stormboyz is a good combination. First or second turn shoot and assault with most of the force, annihilate a target and move on. Combine a few shooty units with a melee force and its like a numerous zerker army with a few predators.

Think of what you like with orks if you want to be numerous. You move a lot of guys, and roll lots of dice. Figure out what appeals in that. Owning a lot of orks myself made it hard to enjoy unit I found my spot with them. I enjoy 2 warpeads with 2 tankbusta units (teleport them around if I can) with 1 loota unit, 3 units of 20 shoota boyz inside 3 battewagons with 4 rokkits+kannon each. Wagons roll forward, unload all 20 orks and I get a good first turn of firepower, then they hop back in for a 7" move(red+1", no penalty) and fire out of an open topped vehicle. Or keep it still to remove other tanks so its easier to use my tankbustas. Trade the bustas around if its wiser to have them inside my wagons.

Pretty fun force and it entails a style of shooting I can't get anywhere else.

My advice on an army for you though would be to expand on your existing armies as they are now. Finish up painting what you already have if something isnt done, because collecting more will be more weight on the nerves to complete it.
Hah, I collected Tyranids to start because I liked the Alien movies and they were in BfM, but now... Not so much. I love painting metal and you can't paint any metal with Tyranids. Also, Gaunts get so boring to paint with the exact same colour scheme (and model) for each one of them.
Then I started Eldar. Oh the pain. I still have a box of unassembled Harlequins, and my Howling Banshees were broken by my little cousin.
Then I started Chaos. Oh how I love Chaos, even if the current CSM codex sucks.

Cool army you've made with Orks.

Also, I don't need to expand my armies. I have 3000 of Eldar, 3000 of 'nids, about 2000 of Daemons, 2000 of CSM (well actually I got 15 CSM from a friend, so more).

Oh, I also have Scabeiathrax (giant GUO) and a Traitor Shadowsword.

By the way, I've sort of given up on the Tyranids and Eldar. I'm not going to do anything with them until I actually feel like it.

But, I'm not collecting any other army until my Chaos Marines are finished, so it might be a few months anyway.