PDA

View Full Version : Where is Leman Russ

Thanatos_elNyx
11-10-2009, 07:59
So Leman Russ disappeared some time after the Heresy and no one knows where he is now, though they did find his armour much later on.

So what do you think happened to him?

If Other please specify.

Firaxin
11-10-2009, 08:10
At best guess, he's guarding the Black Library.

If he had turned to chaos, GW would've told us about it. It's more grimdark.

abasio
11-10-2009, 13:15
Nah, GW doesn't know. I reckon he was slowly corrupted and is now a demon prince in his own right. In the final battle for wolfkind he will slay all his own legion himself.

Tedurur
11-10-2009, 13:19
Im with Firaxin on this one.

LordLucan
11-10-2009, 13:31
Russ is a primarch-sized wulfen now, leading the 13th Company. His armour was ripped from his body by himself, as he began to change. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! ;) (It'd also explain why he left the SW. He knew he was changing, so decided to give over command to someone else, and left to where being a wulfen would be most useful: in the eye.

S_A_T_S
11-10-2009, 13:34
I like Abasio's suggestion, especially as in the original norse myth of Ragnarök, it's Fenrir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir) who leads the 'bad guys' against the gods, and kills Odin, King of the Gods, himself. Would be an interesting climax to 40k, but of course we'll never find out, exactly cos it would BE the climax to 40k, and the game would struggle to continue (unless they just decide to kill off the Space Wolves, but that'll never happen).

herald of kairos
11-10-2009, 13:54
abasios seems the most entertaining option but hes probably in the black library unfortunatly we'll never know

TheBigBadWolf
11-10-2009, 14:08
I like to think there is a big hairy naked man running around the eye kicking the crap out of chaos.

That or he is with 13th Co

Idaan
11-10-2009, 14:12
Why exactly would he be in the Black Library? I mean, he's not really into books.
The only explanation I could see is that the Norse saw Alfr as divine creatures and revered them, but we don't see any reverence from the Space Wolves towards the Eldar. And I don't really see the Harlequins letting a giant frothing bearded ale-drinking wolftoothed berserker into their sanctuary.

Master Jeridian
11-10-2009, 14:23
I too want to repeat the question- why is he in the Black Library? That doesn't make any kind of sense, even if the Eldar were for some bizarre reason to hire Leman Russ to guard their most precious depository of knowledge- I don't see a Space Wolf Primarch sitting around in a security guard outfit doing nothing for 10,000 yrs.

Most likely he died fighting Chaos in the Eye, and the myths of his return or survival are just that 'myths'.
It's not grimdark if you Primarch-daddy will come to save you in the end, it's grimdark if the Space Wolves have their Primarch-daddy torn from them, then perpetuate the myth of his return (much like real-world myths proclaim the return of Arthur or other great leaders in times of need) as inspiration to their recruits.

Primarchs weren't immortal.

snottlebocket
11-10-2009, 14:47
Where is Leman Russ

http://merijnreerink.com/vaag/leman_russ.jpg

MagosHereticus
11-10-2009, 15:28
i say hes being held frozen in the warp by the power of the emperor who is keeping him as an ace up his sleeve for the 40k equivalent of judgement day

Inquisitor Engel
11-10-2009, 15:35
This has been asked and answered - Intergalactic pub crawl.

guillimansknight
11-10-2009, 15:55
Valhalla. Nuff said.

Or Folkvangr.

spetswalshe
11-10-2009, 16:24
Liver failure would be my guess. If they did find his armour in the hands of Chaos, that probably means a Chaos Lord somewhere is wearing his skin as a cloak. As a mark of respect, of course - much like Russ did with those animals he killed.

TheBigBadWolf
11-10-2009, 16:42
I just figured out why Russ could be in the black library -

He was playing a mental game of Scrabble with the 13th Co and had just picked out a hellish set of letters, he was so annoyed at picking out the X tile again that he proceeded to raid the BL to find a good word so that he could gain the tripple word score and use up all his letters.

:D

Rabid Bunny 666
11-10-2009, 16:51

Heh, I can picture Russ waking up in a Space Hulk with about forty drunken Genestealers, three suits of Thousand Sons armour and a very confused ork.

On a more sensible note, I reckon that he has joined up with the 13th company to help them with their mission, although I do remember reading something about Russ departing to try and find Lion' El Johnsson.

Dhazzakull
11-10-2009, 17:48
in the space wolves codex stands he suddenly stand up from hie meal, The first miracle in this story, his eyes lit up and he deposit his drinking horn on the table, the second miracle. Then he gathered his comrades around him and left the fang forever.
It must have been a vision of the emporer, nothing less could made him leave a feast before full and drunk.

he could be still on this mission, whatever it is, he could be dead, or he could be in stasis somewhere so he can come back at wolftime.

Inquisitor Engel
11-10-2009, 17:54
although I do remember reading something about Russ departing to try and find Lion' El Johnsson.

That'll be a long mission since he's in a nice cozy box in the middle of The Rock...

The Anarchist
11-10-2009, 17:56
always lied the idea that he went to the eye to go into the warp and find the Emperor and unleash the Numan. either that or hes looking for his lost brothers, forever fighting deeper into the warp, hoping either to find them or be able to use the warp to send himself, the Emperor or one of his brothers a message about the HH before it starts. remember Russ always felt a little at fault for not being at his fathers side during the seige or terra, so a quest to mae up for it by fighting is way bac to that moment via the warp strikes me as his sort of quest.

canucklhead
11-10-2009, 17:57
I think Snottlebocket wins this thread hands down. That's the funniest thing I've seen in days.

TheEndIsHere
11-10-2009, 18:01
Procreated with wolves.

This made the geneticly enhanced wolves strong enough for SW to ride.

He WAS hairy...

D-End

Xisor
12-10-2009, 00:14
Dead probably. And the Space Wolves found his armour in the same way that we found the Shroud of Turin...

Vesica
12-10-2009, 02:06
Dead probably. And the Space Wolves found his armour in the same way that we found the Shroud of Turin...

You mean its all lie :D

Well we haven't seen the Daemon Primarchs in a while, maybe he killed them and is wearing them for armour now?

Or maybe he is with Lion El in the rock.

Dhazzakull
12-10-2009, 06:32
Or maybe he is with Lion El in the rock.

playing poker untill the last day comes?

Nicha11
12-10-2009, 06:39
I like to think that he and Khorne are having a beer drinking competition, everytime Russ wins Khorne loses abit of his devloped background.
As you can tell, Russ has won alot.

Iuris
12-10-2009, 07:52
I say he removed the armor in order to be able to move around without attracting suspicion, being at best tall and not as gigantic as people would have him be (I'm convinced that marines and primarchs are at best tall, not enormous).

snottlebocket
12-10-2009, 08:12
I say he removed the armor in order to be able to move around without attracting suspicion, being at best tall and not as gigantic as people would have him be (I'm convinced that marines and primarchs are at best tall, not enormous).

Despite the evidence to the contrary? There's a really nice picture in the tau codex of a water caste tau talking to an imperial diplomat with a space marine watching over the preceedings.

Both the tau and the diplomat barely reach up to the marine's chest and his head is quite a bit larger than the human's head.

Thanatos_elNyx
12-10-2009, 08:17
Well we haven't seen the Daemon Primarchs in a while, maybe he killed them and is wearing them for armour now?

Well I like to think that Magnus had the last laugh and defeated Leman Russ in revenge for Prospero, but I suspect he didn't kill him, merely imprisoned him to humiliate him so Russ still has some hope.

genestealer_baldric
12-10-2009, 09:27

Seconded.

wasnt he after the tree of life.

Dhazzakull
12-10-2009, 09:35
that occurs once in the ragnar books, in the firdt if i'm right, but i never read it anywhere else

madprophet
12-10-2009, 17:39
He's on extended vacation in a hot tub in Tahiti - when he's sufficiently tanned, rested and ready he will come to kick the crap out of everyone Chuck Norris style. In fact, Chuck Norris IS Leman Russ! :D

Askil the Undecided
12-10-2009, 18:16
Chuck "Leman" NorRUSS

Fugazi
12-10-2009, 18:20
crossing my fingers for the first one. Not sure if I'd buy the miniature version, but anyway...

mightymconeshot
12-10-2009, 23:33
hes looking for malal to challenge him to a drinking contest as he has alreeady beat all the current gods.

guillimansknight
12-10-2009, 23:44
I like to think that he and Khorne are having a beer drinking competition, everytime Russ wins Khorne loses abit of his devloped background.
As you can tell, Russ has won alot.

This wins.

that Just wins everything

madprophet
13-10-2009, 00:47
Chuck "Leman" NorRUSS

I like! :cool:

madprophet
13-10-2009, 00:49
http://merijnreerink.com/vaag/leman_russ.jpg

OMG! He's standing on Waldo!:D

Lionsbane
13-10-2009, 01:02
Leman Russ was given a vision by the Emperor to bring back the fruit of the Tree of Life from the center of the Eye of Terror and use it to wake his sleeping brothers and heal the Emperor. Read. Your. Fluff.

Either that or he challenged Mork and Gork to a drinking contest. Once he finally wins Orks will no longer be a playable race in 40k.

Thanatos_elNyx
13-10-2009, 07:41
Leman Russ was given a vision by the Emperor to bring back the fruit of the Tree of Life from the center of the Eye of Terror and use it to wake his sleeping brothers and heal the Emperor. Read. Your. Fluff.

Where is that stated please?

wilsongrahams
13-10-2009, 09:38
I believe it is in fact stated in every 40k codex ever written, that Russ took his armour off to take a leak whilst travelling the milky highway, some jippo stole his armour, and his map blew away in the wind. He is now trying to hitchike a ride but being naked is getting few offers...

Did I get that right? I may have misquoted a little...

genestealer_baldric
13-10-2009, 09:45
That post was 99% correct the only thing you got wrong was the letters and the arangment ;)

daroo
27-10-2009, 21:35
no no no he is out drinking mork and gork, killing demons in the eye of terror or on the other side of the universe trying to hichike back with the nids

loveless
27-10-2009, 21:49
Through a series of unfortunate events, Leman Russ became the Hive Mind. He's been trying to send his agents to free the Emperor for some time now, but that pr*ck Calgar keeps getting in his way.

Either that or it's not the Outsider in the Dyson Sphere...it's Russ.

Wolfblade670
28-10-2009, 14:18
I imagine at that pivotal last battle between the Imperium and the Tyranids, just when all hope seems lost, Russ will suddenly come surfin' in on a primarch size longboard riding a wave of gaunts.

Or he quite possibly might have tried to backtrack the Nids to their source, and in the process found Sarah Kerrigan...thus why he's been gone for so long...

gwarsh41
28-10-2009, 14:23
I imagine at that pivotal last battle between the Imperium and the Tyranids, just when all hope seems lost, Russ will suddenly come surfin' in on a primarch size longboard riding a wave of gaunts.

I like the way you think!

mightymconeshot
28-10-2009, 16:00
wolfblade its already decided angron is getting her. no he probably is drinking with the squats wondering when if ever he gets to return to the world.

any one else notice that all the primarchs that were alive that were loyalist disappered? is GW setting something up for like the 10th edition? primarchs save the universe

Wolfblade670
28-10-2009, 18:23
I like the way you think!

Grazie. :D

wolfblade its already decided angron is getting her.

Which explains why he's been gone for so long. He and Angron have been duking it out in the pub on a nondescript daemon world after Russ bought Kerrigan a drink. :p

Logan_uc
28-10-2009, 20:25
He is dead.. had an accident in is way to the eye because he was drunk driving the strike cruiser :p

colmarekblack
28-10-2009, 20:45

You sir are sigged :D

ctsteel
28-10-2009, 21:42
Perhaps the "vision from the Emperor" was in fact a trap set by Magnus, to lure Russ to the Eye and away from the protection of his legion where he can be easily trapped and captured.

Or he did what animals sometimes do when they suddenly know they are about to die - he wandered off away from his pack to die secretly, without causing fear or woe to his legion. He took his trusted guards with him to act as honour retinue and to hide the secret from the other marines. They hid his body and armour, or perhaps leman's body dissolved into nothing, leaving the armour behind, which was later found and assumed to have been discarded, but was in fact his burial site. Imagine the Space Wolves traipsing around that spot never realising their primarch died under their feet.

Or (depending on how long after the heresy this was), he decided that the world was boring, there were no more big conquests or battles to fight as the Imperium was busy policing itself and repairing the damage. He knew his own legion wouldn't be able to just leave as it may have been considered an act of desertion, and they would be needed to protect the imperium from the traitors. So he decided to leave them behind, and took himself and his guards off to the Eye to join up with the 13th Legion for some good honest fighting. He couldn't tell the others why he was going or they'd all beat him to the landing pad to join him.

Urath
28-10-2009, 22:12
Wheres Waldo!? There he is!

Helikaon
28-10-2009, 23:08
I'd like to think he's leading the 13th Company on a crusade through the eye, smashing daemons and making life hell for any traitor who dares call himself an Astartes. Eventually he's going to lead the 13th back into Imperial space and all hell is going to break loose when he see's just how messed up the Imperium has become. Cue Space Marine split, half following the Primarch, half loyal to the High Lords.

abasio
29-10-2009, 11:06
I'd like to think he's leading the 13th Company on a crusade through the eye, smashing daemons and making life hell for any traitor who dares call himself an Astartes. Eventually he's going to lead the 13th back into Imperial space and all hell is going to break loose when he see's just how messed up the Imperium has become. Cue Space Marine split, half following the Primarch, half loyal to the High Lords.

The Russ Revolt :D

Sam skywalker
29-10-2009, 13:32
Why do I have a vague recollection that Canis Helix makes space wolves immune to the corruption of the warp?! Why do I think that lol?! Im sure I read it somewhere...

If I did actually read that and not dream it, then surely he wouldnt be corrupted by chaos and not a daemon prince...

My thought is that he is chasing after a passing space cruiser... Had to lose his armour to keep up...

TheDarkDaff
29-10-2009, 13:49
I thought it had something to do with that young women who turned up with little Russette. Russ went for a pack of smokes and hasn't been seen since.

Wolfblade670
29-10-2009, 14:52
Why do I have a vague recollection that Canis Helix makes space wolves immune to the corruption of the warp?! Why do I think that lol?! Im sure I read it somewhere...

I remember reading that too; though I think it said they were highly resistant, not immune.

Ramius4
29-10-2009, 17:23
My thought is that he is chasing after a passing space cruiser... Had to lose his armour to keep up...

Passing space cruiser? Even better if it was parked...

Or better yet, someone threw a ball across the galaxy and he simply could not resist chasing it.

junglesnake
29-10-2009, 17:40
I remember reading that too; though I think it said they were highly resistant, not immune.

I think its immaterial - when did they go off in to the Eye? How many of them were there?

Essentially there can't be many of them left now - fighting the forces of Chaos does not come without itse cost in blood. I thought the dissguarded armour was a reference to him Wolfing out?

Him on earth
29-10-2009, 17:45
It’s simple the armor was slowing him down
Russ has spent the last 1000 years climbing up the throne of skulls with a chain axe between his teeth he’s about half way there

Wolfblade670
29-10-2009, 17:47
Russ has spent the last 1000 years climbing up the throne of skulls with a chain axe between his teeth he’s about half way there

I like this idea best. In fact, I LOVE this idea...:D

daroo
29-10-2009, 19:35

dude that idea rocks! thats got to be it!:D

junglesnake
29-10-2009, 19:42
dude that idea rocks! thats got to be it!:D

Nice idea but isn't space marine armour meant to AID the wearer and not slow them down? And in addition to that lets just say that it was slowing him down, wouldn't they have found the other surviving members of the 13th Company's armour as well?

Not trying to dissprove your concept or anything but it kinda leaves more questions than it answers.

Shrapnel
29-10-2009, 19:54
Nice idea but isn't space marine armour meant to AID the wearer and not slow them down? And in addition to that lets just say that it was slowing him down, wouldn't they have found the other surviving members of the 13th Company's armour as well?

Not trying to dissprove your concept or anything but it kinda leaves more questions than it answers.

Aren't they powered by a nuclear reactor in the backpack? Maybe it just ran out of juice.

Sam skywalker
29-10-2009, 20:37
I think its immaterial - when did they go off in to the Eye? How many of them were there?

Essentially there can't be many of them left now - fighting the forces of Chaos does not come without itse cost in blood. I thought the dissguarded armour was a reference to him Wolfing out?

Time passes differently in the warp... He might have been there for two weeks... There are still someone of the 13th company left so why couldnt he be...?

junglesnake
29-10-2009, 23:16
Time passes differently in the warp... He might have been there for two weeks... There are still someone of the 13th company left so why couldnt he be...?

I don't want to be sounding arrogant here nor that my word is law but where did I say he was dead? I said that the most likely thing is he wolfed out - hence the depositing of the armour.

I understand that time passes differently in the warp but I would suggest that the amount of time they have been there is longer than two weeks. I wouldn't expect him to have quickly shed his armour without good reason.

All I suggested was that if they had been there and battling the enemy that is chaos and its minions for any length of time that the 13th company would have suffered casualties. I am not suggesting they are ALL dead, just that they would not last for-ever as, so far as I am aware, they are not in a position to take on new recruits.

junglesnake
29-10-2009, 23:19
Aren't they powered by a nuclear reactor in the backpack? Maybe it just ran out of juice.

A possibility. However Space Marine heroes are equiped with ornate and better suits of power armour - eg Artificer armour. I would hope that the best suits were reserved for the primarchs themselves. And on that theory one would hope his armour lasts out longer than any of theirs.

Him on earth
30-10-2009, 12:41

Good point 2 solutions
1 in universe primarch are shown to be far more powerful then the average marine maybe the abilities of the armour can’t improve their stamina any more then there already supernatural levels and therefore only real works as a form of defences
Or
2 this is 40k where rule of cool is part of physics and travelling through hell is a sane method of ftl so which is cooler Russ dead on some demon world or claiming up a giant throne of skulls near naked to try and kill the god of war

burtnernie
30-10-2009, 12:58
The guy above nailed it...

He's with the other guys as chief executives and directors of....

Primark....

It even counts for the amour, he took it off to model the clothes range and left it behind.

Haskear
25-12-2012, 13:46
I think that all the loyal primarchs will slowly be written in to either being reborn (to some extent with mephiston kind of becoming sanguinius, who knows in a couple of years gw might change the model to have wings), being on a personal crusade or regenerating a la Reboute. Even Ferrous Manus will probably start re growing out of his metal hands! Just makes more sense for gw to perpetuate the myths of primarchs returning for the end of times.

So my money is on Russ, Vulcan (Hopefully they'll be a HH book which features him more), The Kahn and Corax met up for some post heresy beers and then decided to head into the eye to steal some road signs and cones.

I always felt it a little unfair that the traitor primarchs are all pretty much all alive (in a manner of speaking) as far as I remember only Kurze and Horus died! The rest all got mutated into daemon prince's.

Veteran Sergeant
25-12-2012, 15:52

Not trying to dissprove your concept or anything but it kinda leaves more questions than it answers.It may be a weight issue. He is strong enough to climb, but weighs so much that the skulls keep slipping out from underneath him.

In fact, this is my new favorite theory. Leman Russ crawling up the Skull Throne, Sisyphus style, for the last 10,000 years. ;)

Veteran Sergeant
25-12-2012, 15:53
I think that all the loyal primarchs will slowly be written in to either being reborn
Hahaha. The story changing or advancing. That's a good one.

Haskear
25-12-2012, 18:19
Well the HH series of books does make regular adjustments to pre HH series fluff. But i agree advancing the story would confuse the setting.

DarthMarko
27-12-2012, 10:00

+++++++wow

Jonny Draigo
27-12-2012, 14:14
there was one mention in Battle for the Fang, where one of the Thousand sons said something like the know where the Wolf king is and that he is not comming back

Grubnar
29-12-2012, 15:38
Time passes differently in the warp... He might have been there for two weeks...

I think this is correct.

IIRC it is said that Russ cathered up his personal bodyguard (all except Björn the Fell-handed) boarded a ship and set course for the Eye of Terror, after possibly reciving a vision/psychic message. It is possible that he went looking for someone or something to aid Lion El'Jonson or the Emperor. Personally, I think he went to the Eye of terror to wait.

Because time does inseed flow differently there. and I think he knew that it would be a long time untill he would be needed again. Notice that all the loyalist primarchs that still live are outside the realm of time.

Lion El'Jonson is in hibernation in the deepest chamber in the Rock.

Jaghatai Khan is in the Webway.

Roboute Gulliman is in a stasis field.

Vulkan is unknown but belived to be alive (if anyone knows anything about where he went, please tell me).

And Corvus Corax is belived to have also left for the Eye of Terror.

count chocula
31-12-2012, 08:37
it's quite simple really realizing he would never be a Ultramarine he ran to the warp discarded his armour and became friends to a sparkly vampire

ThunderLamb
31-12-2012, 08:54
He's fist bumping Kaldor Draig and winking at the reader to incite rage.

purge the daemon
01-01-2013, 07:39
I think he's probably in slaanesh's gardens doing you know what with some lovely female demons...

anarnii
04-01-2013, 19:31
I've always personally felt that all the primarch's were worried about an end to being a soldier.

I also think they all consider the CSM and chaos in general the biggest threat to life in the universe.

So what better to do that to constantly battle them in the eye? Where else is there more foes to kill?

I like how maybe black crusades only happen when theirs enough troops not delaying with the lost primarchs and 13th company to make a really plan for the outside world.

Russ, Jaghatai Khan , Vulkan, Corvus Corax all working together in the eye, trying to take out as much chaos as possible, as they can't return until their job is done.

omgadinosaur
04-01-2013, 22:00
Russ retired in order to live out his dream of being a chef. He currently heads his own five star restaurant specializing in Risotto.

Haskear
05-01-2013, 21:24
Now if you had said changed his name to Gordon Ramsay, I would have definitely agreed.

RunepriestRidcully
05-01-2013, 21:39
He got sent back in time, lost a bit of height, and took a new name, Jack Harkness ;) :P

Cutlet509
01-02-2013, 04:00
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's hilarious!

Malagor
01-02-2013, 07:31
Leman Russ was apart of Alpha Legion all along and has now joined up with the rest of the legion.

But seriously, he is no doubt giving the other daemon primarchs hell. Taunting Angron that he got banished, given Mortarion a bath, given Magnus a wedgie and stuffed him inside a locker and so on.
He will return for the final battle, watching fenris go Day after tomorrow and wipe out all life from the planet. He will defeat Angron in battle before succumbing to his wounds. And as the battle is over, the Emperor is reborn ala Balder.

Max_Killfactor
01-02-2013, 17:23
Giant werewolf that lost its mind somewhere in the eye of terror. Naked