PDA

View Full Version : All Orcs?

Seabo
11-10-2009, 15:31
Just wondering about the Orcy love out there. Can they be fairly competitive in friendly type games and at tourney level?
Here's a little breakdown on my thoughts of the Orc Specials.
Now there is the Grimgor 'Ardboyz list and it looks pretty...'Ard :D 7 S7 ASF, 1+ Armour, 5+ Ward...pure pain lol.
Gorbad
ASF S5, No Armour saves, ability to field all Big'Uns, 3+ Armour save with a S4 boar. Not bad :D. However, it seems like 'The Boss 'as a Plan' is a huge disadvantage. Sure he has 18" BSB and Gen leadership but dropping to 6" from 1 wound? Ouch, the poor guy doesn't even have a ward...
Azhag
Ability of mixing a sorceror and the Orcy Warboss goodness seems pretty good. Stupidity at Ld9 is not that big of a hindrance.
And yes, I need a Wyvern...love big flying terror things :D
What is peoples experience with them? I would only use these boys in a competitive game or tourney...anyone that brings a special character to a friendly game without warning deserves a smack upside the head...
Now, about the Orcs....
Is an all Orc army viable? Thinking unit of Big'Uns, a unit of Black Orcs, then at least a couple of regular boys with Choppa/Shield. All warmachines wld have a Bully.
Already have a ton of Night Gobbos and Spider Riders (thanks to Skull Pass). But looking for ways to expand the army in multiple ways and different tactics.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated :)

Tokamak
11-10-2009, 16:45
HELL YEAH!

I've got an orc only army (bar the three trolls) and it's all infantry as well:

-Lord-

Black Orc Warboss - 154 points
+ Heavy armour
+ shield

-Heroes-

Black Orc Big Boss - 139 points
+ Heavy armour
+ Battle Standard - Nogg's Banner of Butchery

Orc Big Boss - 78 points
+ Light armour
+ Shield

-Core-

29 orc boys - 233 points
+ Shields
+ Spears
+ Full command

30 orc boys - 240 points
+ Additional choppas
+ Full command

30 Big uns - 350 points
+ Spears
+ shields
+ Full Command

10 Arrer Boys - 65 points
+ Musician

-Special-

34 Black orcs - 592 points
+ shields
+ full command
+ Mork's spirit totem

1 Orc boar chariot - 80 points

-Rare-

3 Trolls - 180 points
+Stone Troll upgrade

---------------------------------------- 2246 points

Grimstonefire
11-10-2009, 16:50
This is vaguely related, why do you think there aren't Black Orc boarboyz?

Those would definately be worth it in any O&G army, let alone an all Orc one.

EDIT: Black Orc Boarboyz in the army book.:rolleyes:

Tokamak
11-10-2009, 16:51
Because they don't appear in the army book.

Sparda
11-10-2009, 19:57
I would not go for Big uns, to overcosted for what they do.

Also heard that Orc Warmachines aren't to good due to the Waagh! rule. I wouldn't know as I never field them anyway.

Tutore
11-10-2009, 20:00
Orcs only list is viable, although the list above lacks mobility (thus 1 unit of boar boys) and countermagic (at least the banner which gives + 3 dispel dice should go to a BSB).

Seabo
11-10-2009, 22:14
Would always be adding Staff of Sneaky Stealin too. Always great taking your opponents Power Dice :D.
Thinking of a Black Orc Warboss, Orc BSB and 2 Orc Shammies. Will post a list once I figure out points.
Would think that Choppa/Shield wld be better due to the 4+ save as opposed to a 5 with spear...extra s3' are meh at best...

Seabo
11-10-2009, 23:04
Doh!!
All power to the Gobbos lol

Tokamak
11-10-2009, 23:55
Why would you need mobility as an orc? If you spent the points on cheap troops your army is simply so huge that there's no way around it.

Seabo
12-10-2009, 00:35
Here's what I'm thinking of...
Orc Warboss
LA,Enchanted Shield, Best Boss 'At, Boar
Orc Big Boss
BSB-Banner of Butchery, Boar, LA
Orc Shaman
Lvl2,Idol of Mork
Orc Shaman
Lvl2, 2 Scrolls
25 Orc Boyz
Spears, Shields, FC
24 Orc Boyz
Choppas, Shields, FC
24 Orc Boyz
Choppas, Shields, FC
10 Arrer Boyz
Musician
4 Snotling Bases
80 (Probly 2 units of 2)
25 Black Orcs
Shields, FC w/Morks Spirit Totem
2 Spear Chukkas w/Bullies
6 Boar Boyz
FC
2 Snotling Pump Wagons
2000pts

Chose to go with Snotlings as opposed to Orc Boar Chariots because I love the scrappy little Gits and some of the figs just rock :D. Also wanted that element of randomness.

Tokugawa100
12-10-2009, 01:48
I tried all Orcs.
FAILED BADLY FOR SOME REASON.

Now Ive got all Night Goblins.
LOVIN IT.:D

Urgat
12-10-2009, 02:01
This is vaguely related, why do you think there aren't Black Orc boarboyz?

Those would definately be worth it in any O&G army, let alone an all Orc one.

EDIT: Black Orc Boarboyz in the army book.:rolleyes:

Actually, I seem to vaguely remember some reason given waaaaay back, during 5th edition, about the rarity of them. Then iirc it was implied that Morglum had mounted blorc units somewhere, go wonder. I've always said that considering the amount of "supercavalry" units these days, blorcs on barded boars would make a cool rare choice.

Back on topic, I tried it a few times, but I never did well, I just can't do anything worthwhile w/o wolf riders, my tactics are too dependent on them.

w3rm
12-10-2009, 04:02
Just made a thread on this.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224489

Dranthar
12-10-2009, 06:16
Hmm, well I think an orc army would be decent...

BUT, the lists that have been put up so far are, IMO crap.

Main reasons are;
1. Large block of Black Orcs. All those points for the rank and outnumber bonus is nowhere near worth it. I'd take about 12 as a support unit and that's it.

2. Big Uns. I'm not really sure about the value of Big 'uns on paper. Maybe it's handy to have a single such unit holding the centre, but I remain unconvinced. The points you pay for the stat boost is ridiculous.

3. Morks Spirit Totem. This should only ever be given to a BSB. The other units able to have it are way too expensive for the full +3 ranks, and with a BSB you can at least move it to a fresh unit if your own orc block is taken below 20 models.

I think if you're going to take an Orc army (or any O&G army for that matter), you need the following;

1. Numbers. Orcs are cheap and there's no reason not to take advantage of that. Also if you have alot more rank and file units than your opponent, it makes it alot harder for them to outflank you, and much easier for you to do the same to them. It also allows you to shrug off alot more magic/shooting that you otherwise might need to if your army is small and elite.

2. Diverters, in the form of snotlings and/or goblin cavalry. Put simply, they help distract the really nasty units and allow you to pull off flank charges.

3. Ranged Support, usually in the form of shooting but possibly also magic. The idea isn't to destroy enemy units with your shooting, but to weaken them enough to give you the edge in combat (ie, taking flankers below US5, reducing the rank bonus of infantry).

4. Redundancy. To put it simply, take at least two of every element that's essential to your army. O&Gs are not a reliable force so if one unit panics or bickers at the wrong time, you want to make sure there's another to fill the gap. The cheapness of O&Gs make this quite easy to achieve.

Gobbies
12-10-2009, 07:49
Don't forget, Grimgor also gets rerolls for hates everybody

All orc armies are cool. If that is what you like then go for it. Although i don't know how competetive they can be, i rely heavily on fast cavalry too so i'd have a harder time with them

Tutore
12-10-2009, 20:54
Hmm, well I think an orc army would be decent...

BUT, the lists that have been put up so far are, IMO crap.

Main reasons are;
1. Large block of Black Orcs. All those points for the rank and outnumber bonus is nowhere near worth it. I'd take about 12 as a support unit and that's it.

2. Big Uns. I'm not really sure about the value of Big 'uns on paper. Maybe it's handy to have a single such unit holding the centre, but I remain unconvinced. The points you pay for the stat boost is ridiculous.

3. Morks Spirit Totem. This should only ever be given to a BSB. The other units able to have it are way too expensive for the full +3 ranks, and with a BSB you can at least move it to a fresh unit if your own orc block is taken below 20 models.

I think if you're going to take an Orc army (or any O&G army for that matter), you need the following;

1. Numbers. Orcs are cheap and there's no reason not to take advantage of that. Also if you have alot more rank and file units than your opponent, it makes it alot harder for them to outflank you, and much easier for you to do the same to them. It also allows you to shrug off alot more magic/shooting that you otherwise might need to if your army is small and elite.

2. Diverters, in the form of snotlings and/or goblin cavalry. Put simply, they help distract the really nasty units and allow you to pull off flank charges.

3. Ranged Support, usually in the form of shooting but possibly also magic. The idea isn't to destroy enemy units with your shooting, but to weaken them enough to give you the edge in combat (ie, taking flankers below US5, reducing the rank bonus of infantry).

4. Redundancy. To put it simply, take at least two of every element that's essential to your army. O&Gs are not a reliable force so if one unit panics or bickers at the wrong time, you want to make sure there's another to fill the gap. The cheapness of O&Gs make this quite easy to achieve.

Agree, that was the point of my post above.

Gromloktpp
13-10-2009, 03:30
I tried going all out with Orcs but it didn't go so well =(

Dranthar
13-10-2009, 05:09
I tried going all out with Orcs but it didn't go so well =(

Why don't you post your list, and we'll pick it apart. ;)