PDA

View Full Version : DE list, 2000pts (beginner)

sigur
19-01-2006, 10:20
Hi!

I'm not very experienced in WHFB as I just had 3-4 games yet but another gaming session is coming up at the end of the month, so I wrote a new army list:

Highborn [General] (Enchanted Shield, Gauntlet of Power, HA Sea Dragon Cloak), riding a Cold One - 249pts
Not sure if I should drop the enchanted shield or replace the Gauntlet with a cheaper weapon in favor for a 4+ ward save. He'll obviously go with the Cold One Knights.

Noble (Armour of Darkness, Lance), riding a Dark Steed - 111pts
Will join Dark Riders unit #1 (no RxB)

Sorceress (lvl2, Darkstar Cloak, Dispell Scroll) riding a Dark Steed - 187pts
Dark Magic

Sorceress (lvl1, Dispell Scroll, Dispell Scroll) - 140pts
probably Death lore

5 Dark Riders (Spears, Light Armour, Musician, Standard) - 111pts

5 Dark Riders (Spears, Light Armour, Musician, Standard, RxB) - 141pts

20 Warriors (Spears, LA, Shields, Musician, Standard) - 175pts

12 Warriors (RxB, LA, Shields) - 144pts

10 Corsairs (LA, SDC, 2 Handweapons, Standard, Musician) - 115pts

7 Cold One Knights (HA, Lances, Shields, Standard, Musician) - 230pts

10 Executioners (HA, Great Weapon, Champion) - 122pts

6 Harpies - 78pts

Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100

Models in army: 85
Casting Pool: 6
Dispell Pool: 4 (+3 Scrolls)

I will play against Lizardmen, Dwarfs maybe and maybe against HE (but this is very unlikely). Suggestions/critique would be appreciated.:)

Danger Rat
19-01-2006, 12:38
Personally Id go with a cheaper weapon (either a lance or a cheaper magical weapon that puts his strength up) and give him a 4+ ward save that should help keep him alive longer. I would put the noble in with the executioners to give them more hitting power in CC, I think he would be wasted if he went with the dark riders.

Your list suggests you are going to close as quickly as possible to get into CC if thats the case.

I would drop the corsairs and the warriors with RxB's in favour of making the executioners 20 strong and giving them a full command group. I would also increase the cold ones to a 9 strong unit as it increases your chances of outnumbering your opponent and ausing them to autobreak as you cause fear.

I would add a champion to the spear armed warriors. I would also drop one of the scrolls in favour of something else, 2 is usually enough.

Hope these thoughts are useful.

Danger Rat
25-01-2006, 10:17
Heres the list id go with based on your list

Highborn [General] (Enchanted Shield, Heartstone of darkness (4+ ward save), Heavy Armour great weapon), riding a Cold One - 231pts

Noble (Blood Armour, 5+ ward save Sea dragon cloak great weapon) - 130pts

Sorceress (lvl2, Dispell Scroll) - 155pts

5 Dark Riders (Spears, Light Armour, Musician RxB - 127pts

20 Warriors (Spears, Shields Full Command) - 180pts

9 Cold One Knights (HA, Lances, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Slaughter) - 341pts

19 Executioners (HA, Great Weapon, Full Command, War banner) - 264pts

6 Shades - 84pts

Army Total 1999 pts

Models in army: 70
Dispell Pool: 4 (+2 Scrolls)

Arnizipal
27-01-2006, 01:20
Nice set-up for your Lord. I'm more of a fan of the Draich of Dark Power (killing blow is always a bonus) but that's just personal preference.

Putting a Noble with Dark Riders is an interesting tactic, but if you want any success with it I'd suggest beefing up the Noble's unit to at least nine (+ Noble makes ten) with full command. Dark Riders are rather frail and die easily to missile fire/magic and you'll need them once you reach combat.
A downside to this tactic is that even if you make the unit larger, Dark Riders can't claim rank bonusses as they are fast cavalry.
And of course the Noble will slow the unit down somewhat, as he himself is not fast cavalry, so the whole unit doesn't get free reforms.
I wouldn't advise this against Dwarfs or any shooty army in general.

The other unit of Dark Riders really doesn't need a standard. Captured standards are worth 100 Victory Points, which almost doubles the points your opponent will get for destroying these horsies in close combat.
Against the usual targets for Dark Riders (war machine crews, mages, skirmishers) the standard isn't really needed anyway.

The mounted Sorceress is a good idea to compensate the rather short range of Dark Magic. Just let her stay near the Cold Ones so the enemy won't be able to target her with shooting and magic missiles, and she should be fine. Do remember though that when the Cold Ones charge or are in combat, the Sorceress will become a viable target for shooting if she becomes the closest target to a war machine or shooty troops, as you're allowed to pick off models close to large units when they're the closest target(and you're not allowed to target units in combat).

The Corsair unit and Excecutioner unit seem a bit small. A little shooting/magic will make them practically combat ineffective. I'd drop one of the two and use it to boost the numbers of the other. And like Danger Rat said, your Noble would perform nice in either of these (boosted) units. Also, a champion might be in order for your spearmen. This way you can take/issue challenges and keep nasty characters from harming your regular troops (which means more attacks back for you :) ).

Hmm, that was a lot more criticism than I had intended. Hope I didn't discourage you. ;) :p

Danger Rat
27-01-2006, 10:25
I was tempted by the draich of dark power but opted for a standard great weapon as it gave me points to spend elsewhere.

szlachcic
27-01-2006, 19:02
Heres the list id go with based on your list

Highborn [General] (Enchanted Shield, Heartstone of darkness (4+ ward save), Heavy Armour great weapon), riding a Cold One - 231pts

9 Cold One Knights (HA, Lances, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Slaughter) - 341pts

19 Executioners (HA, Great Weapon, Full Command, War banner) - 264pts

6 Shades - 84pts

Army Total 1999 pts

Models in army: 70

Great list, it is very similar to what I used to field when I played vanilla DEs. Some suggestions would be to maybe make the Highborn a Noble to save points and drop the enchanted shield since he would only have 50pts. to spend. Also, I have found that Executioners usually work best in 18 man units deployed with 3 ranks of 6 models. This gives you a maximum amount of attacks and still a decent rank bonus. I would also drop the rxbs on the Dark Riders as they will do little to no damage unless you are lucky and catch a enemy wizard out in the open. I also don't like huge units of Cold One Knights, as Danger Rat said outnumbering the enemy is great since you cause fear, but that is a huge points sink. When I rarely use them I take 6 in one rank and use them to hit the flanks of units.

All the things pointed out where just to be nitpicky and really aren't too big of a problem besides the Cold One Knights taking up to many points. Try playing a few games with the army you posted and see how the units perform and that will give you a good idea of which advice you would like to take, but basically it just looks like it needs a tiny bit of tweeking and you are good. Good Luck!

Danger Rat
30-01-2006, 12:35
How does this look?
Noble [General] (Heartstone of darkness (4+ ward save), Heavy Armour great weapon), riding a Cold One - 155pts

Sorceress (lvl2, Dispell Scroll Ring of Hotek) - 170pts

5 Cold One Knights (HA, Lances, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Slaughter) - 225pts (joined by the general)

18 Executioners (HA, Great Weapon, Full Command, War banner) - 253pts

8 Shades - Champion, light armour RxBs 132pts

2 Cold One Chariots - crew have spears and RxBs 214pts

Army Total 1998 pts

Models in army: 69

Trunks
30-01-2006, 18:57
A downside to this tactic is that even if you make the unit larger, Dark Riders can't claim rank bonusses as they are fast cavalry.
And of course the Noble will slow the unit down somewhat, as he himself is not fast cavalry, so the whole unit doesn't get free reforms.

The unit still gets reforms. Characters do not affect the reform abilities of fast cavalry at all, they just don't follow the shooting rules that the rest of the regiment follows (characters in units of fast cavalry can't march and fire or 360 shoot).

ROCKY
31-01-2006, 22:01
Where did you get the rules for the heart of darkness?

szlachcic
31-01-2006, 22:49
Where did you get the rules for the heart of darkness?

It is from the Cult of Slaanesh list in Storm of Chaos. I believe all the magic items listed in the section can be used by any Dark Elf army though.

Danger Rat
01-02-2006, 09:22
Thats right all the magic items from SoC cult of slaanesh list can be used in a normal dark elf army