PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Chaos Ogres with Great Weapons or Ironguts in an Undivided army?

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 11:45
Hey all! I am beginning to plan an army and I plan to base it around the principle of recieving charges and then counter-attacking in the flanks and rear.

Here's what I will be using to absorb charges.
3 units of 15 Plaguebearers.

And I also use a squad of 15 Furies to flank/rear charge the tied up units and hopefully pull off the "beaten by an outnumbering, fear causing enemy" for the auto-break.

Now: I need hard hitting units to hit the sides so Ogres seemed a decent choice. Units of 4 should be able to hit hard but then I saw their BS3 which.... made me reconsider.

I still want Ogres but which would be better? Chaos Ogres with Heavy Armour and Great Weapons ir Ogre Kingdoms Ironguts with their impact hits?

HELP!

Latro
19-01-2006, 12:42
Don't Ironguts need to charge a minimum distance to deliver impact hits? If so, they're probably not going to be able to do that because being flank-detachements in a battle-line means they'll usually be quite close to the action.

Chaos Ogres will do fine.

Another option however might be Minotaurs of Nurgle ... ws4, tough and hard-hitting with a 3d6 pursuit, what more could you ask for? :evilgrin:

:cool:

PS I would never consider charging a flock of Furies into large combats, they die to easy and can mess-up combat results that way. It's a saver to reduce their numbers and keep them for the usual flyer/skirmisher roles.

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 13:00
Chaos Ogres are also cheaper. If only by a little bit.

I also would love tot take Minotaurs but I really really really hate the models and I can't see any alternatives considering I mainly play in a GW store.

Latro
19-01-2006, 14:07
The model itself is a very valid reason to chose a certain unit (or not)! :D

:cool:

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 14:13
If only it weren't so! How well do Chaos Giants fair in games?

Darmort
19-01-2006, 14:35
They're expensive and have a tendancy to fall over, or get pinpricked by arrows (even from Asur Archers!). Personally, the Chaos Ogres would do fine. They get Heavy Armour, Great Weapons and Fear for cheaper than the Ironbutts (I. Hate. Ogre. Kingdoms.), and the Chariot Charge isn't really worth it.
It's also more fluffy to find Chaos Ogres in the Chaos Wastes or the Old World (or the new World if you come from the Southern Wastes), rather than 'Ogres that serve mouth that didn't exist until Gav decided Asrai needed to be put off and couldn't think of anything like Dogs of War, Chaos Dwarfs or a rewrite for Asur', that seem to gang up just to walk around looking for food...

NakedFisherman
19-01-2006, 14:44
Chaos Giants are like all other Giants. Good pincushions while getting to combat, and devastating monsters when they're in combat.

And they can become Mutant Monstrosities, which helps a bit against arrows.

Dark Lord
19-01-2006, 16:38
Look at the chaos orgre weapon skill first before deciding....

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 16:47
Thats what I thought. It leaves a lot to be desired.

oma
19-01-2006, 18:46
the ironguts dont need to charge a distance to get their impact hits, they just need to be 3 models or more to do so...

the fluff? you could just convert the ironguts to fit the chaos feal.. i don't know what i would take, but i think that the ironguts cost more for a reason...

TeddyC
19-01-2006, 18:50
Nope for impact hits ogres must charge a minimum distance... cant remember how far it is....

oma
19-01-2006, 18:56
ok my bad, remembered wrong, checked it out just now, they must charge 6" or more to get impact hits

Trunks
19-01-2006, 19:39
They're expensive and have a tendancy to fall over, or get pinpricked by arrows (even from Asur Archers!). Personally, the Chaos Ogres would do fine. They get Heavy Armour, Great Weapons and Fear for cheaper than the Ironbutts (I. Hate. Ogre. Kingdoms.), and the Chariot Charge isn't really worth it.
It's also more fluffy to find Chaos Ogres in the Chaos Wastes or the Old World (or the new World if you come from the Southern Wastes), rather than 'Ogres that serve mouth that didn't exist until Gav decided Asrai needed to be put off and couldn't think of anything like Dogs of War, Chaos Dwarfs or a rewrite for Asur', that seem to gang up just to walk around looking for food...

Quit your bitching and get over it. They have been out for a long time, they are here to stay.

If you really knew your background and armies, you'd know that Mercenary ogres have existed since the Dogs of War list included generic mercenary ogres. It is no less "fluffy" to use mercenary ogres than to use chaos ogres.

The Black Knight
23-01-2006, 15:17
aren't ironguts rare and chaos ogres special, well i see it as 6 and 2/3s so the choice is yours

the_night_reaper
11-02-2006, 15:56
What about Dragon Ogres? They have more hitting power, survivability and movement.

patataman
11-02-2006, 16:46
Minotaur of nurgle, beter tan ogres, beter tan Dragon ogres they are the best :D