Rabid Bunny 666
19-01-2006, 11:57
need a little bit of help deciding what type of force to go for

*all Chariot and cavalry force
*foot sloggers with a casket of souls

so any ideas which force would be more versatile

Morph
19-01-2006, 14:08
Well a versatile force would be more a mixture of the two. Start defensive with a casket, but able to counter charge with chariots.

I've tried an all cavalry/chariot force for a while and it turned out absolutely awful. You don't have anything strong enough, and your army is too small and fragile. In fact it turned me off chariots so much I no longer use them at all. So I'd definitely avoid that.

But at the same time I'd find an all defensive force too dull. Sitting back and not thinking just aint my thing. Still it's an effective army, so if you're looking to win I'd choose this over the all cavalry/chariots.

My current army is a mix of units and I've found it much more fun and effective to play. My main advice is to take lots of magic, you can be versatile and deal with anything if you can get your vital movement spells off.

Bloodknight
19-01-2006, 14:09
I believe that footsloggers are the better army. I tried both and the all chariot force is too much of all eggs in one basket. Meet a lizardmen army and youīre hosed (or any other army with fast S7 heroes). Footsloggers are far more dependable and sturdy, but slow.
ATM I play a combined force, one regiment of skellies, one regiment of tomb Guard, 3 chariots, 12 Heavy horsemen, a catapult, one unit of archers, king, prince and two priests. Sometimes I take out the horsemen and take two scorpions and a unit of carrion.
The casket however is not as mighty as it may seem, I used it extensively when I started my TK army but got it off only 2 or 3 times in its whole career. People tend to take scrolls or leave dispel dice behind just to stop it.
Best effect yet: against a skaven army it fried 3 warlocks, a grey seer and most of his jezzail teams in one round :D

Scabby
19-01-2006, 14:51
Well I played the "fast" type army with chariots, heavy cav, light cav, scorps, carrion, and bone giant with very good results. While combined arms is probably your best bet the offensive list can be great fun.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-01-2006, 20:49
having a raid through WDs, i'm probably going to go for a strong base of skellies, maybe a unit of chariots to take the tomb kings bullets ;) and some heavy cavalry for support, that bone giant will probably get in there

gah, so much to choose, and i haven't even got the army book yet :(

Papa Onagal
20-01-2006, 02:03
I have had some good luck with chariots- two units of three, usually. I have a good sized block of archers that attract missile fire, which is OK:evilgrin: Don't undervalue the Casket's ability to draw out dispel dice- often an opponent will let Urgency or Smiting through in order to dispel the greater threat.

Bloodknight
20-01-2006, 02:41
The bone giant is a nice unit, but has a bit of a learning curve and has to be used carefully as it is not strong enough to win from the front. Itīs more there to provide damage to the rank bonus from skellies. Donīt use it too offensively, as it will crumble. Also itīs a nice model if you donīt use the ridiclulous head with the twin skeleton turban :)

CuLane
26-01-2006, 00:36
itīs a nice model if you donīt use the ridiclulous head with the twin skeleton turban :)
You mean the "Carmen Miranda" head! LOL!

marv335
26-01-2006, 03:19
i always found that the benefit ofthe CoS was it made people save dispel dice so i managed to get more incantaitons through unchallenged. (-1 to spellcasting is a nice bonus too.) rather than the damage it causes.
best ever was taking out 20+ dark elves in one magic phase

Morph
26-01-2006, 08:37
best ever was taking out 20+ dark eldar in one magic phase

Dark Eldar? Even in the 41st Millenium, the Casket kicks ass! I suppose that's because all enemy squads have 360 line of sight.

Frankly
28-01-2006, 08:50
Well a versatile force would be more a mixture of the two. Start defensive with a casket, but able to counter charge with chariots.

I agree, footsloggers are the way to go imo(due to the lack of marches), but those flanking chariots are combat winners.

I played footsloggers for along time before added chariots, I can tell you the they are well worth it even as special selections.