PDA

View Full Version : DE and BoC combination for doubles tounament?

billytheid
12-10-2009, 01:58
Trying to find a good mobile army to work with a BoC army in a doubles tournament(1500pt each). Don't say 'BoC are useless don't take them', it's neither constructive or true.

My major concern here is having good backup for a BoC assault. Thus far the best I can find is Dark Elves. The massive weight of mobile fire power that those AP repeater crossbows can dish out appears to be very appealing.

Magic would fall to the BoC army which is entirely Tzeench themed and dishes out an adequate 9 PD. The BoC army includes a nasty regiment of dragon ogres(4 with GW and LA) and 2 ambushing beast herds, one of which contains a nasty and surprising Hero. (Please no lectures on army composition, this BoC army has shown itself to be very effective in battles below 2000pt. That and the rest of my army is in storage so it can't help me)

My real question is about the Dark Elves; are they reliable enough to support a very mobile BoC army?(yes I know this sounds like an 'ironic' question) Do they have the range needed? Tactical input would be appreciated, I have previously stayed away from tournaments after a very bad experience a few years ago (I beat a guy, he had a tantrum and smashed half my army off the table with a piece of terrain) and I'm honestly not sure of the idea of mixing my tactics with someone else. I predict angry glares and aggravation.

Paraelix
12-10-2009, 02:05
Dark Elves are all the things you list... However, leaving magic to a 9PD BoC army in a game that will likely be around 4000pts? Seems a bit ridiculous. Both armies should take some form of magic off/def

Basically though, you're looking at Dark Riders, Shades, RBT/Hydra, maybe some Harpies... Maybe a Manticore char.

Axis
12-10-2009, 04:27
Dark Elves are all the things you list... However, leaving magic to a 9PD BoC army in a game that will likely be around 4000pts? Seems a bit ridiculous. Both armies should take some form of magic off/def

Basically though, you're looking at Dark Riders, Shades, RBT/Hydra, maybe some Harpies... Maybe a Manticore char.

Errr what? 1500+1500=3000 not 4k. 9 powerdice is fine, its a middle of the road amount.

billytheid
12-10-2009, 09:11
My game partner really likes the Hydra, and after revisiting the rules I can see why, but all the same I cannot help but think that two RBTs could really be a bit more versatile.
However, Ive not used BoC with missile troop back up before and as such I'm not sure; the appeal of a big, many headed monster stamping around and breathing uber-fire is very appealing...

What to do?

Axis
12-10-2009, 14:00
Well, beasts can field some good monsters themselves. Shaggoths and giants are pretty good. I would run with the repeater bolt throwers because beasts cant get anything to fill that role.

That said, they hydra is never a bad choice.

I would take some dark riders and maybe some cold one knights. Beasts dont get any fast cav and that type of support could be very useful. They also get no heavy cav. Having a good amount of firepower will put your opponent in a bit of a pickle. They can't advance fast cos of all the skrimishers and fast cav.. if they do they get hit by dragon ogres etc

Paraelix
12-10-2009, 16:08
Soz. I missed the points reference and assumed that an army running 9 PD likely had a Lord.