PDA

View Full Version : Skaven in 40k?

Negafex
12-10-2009, 05:23
so, a buddy of mine at our LGS was telling me about how excited he is for the new skaven releases. knowing full well he doesnt play fantasy, i inquire as to the source of his new found enthusiasm. he tells me he's been wanting to model skaven in space (werent they called the hrud or something?) for a few years, but has withheld the attempt due to his large disfondness for the old skaven models. he says he knows roughly what he wants to do, but is not sure on what codex he would use to play it.

the point of this thread, which codex would be best for running space skaven.

so far, amongst our LGS group, it sounds like orcs because they can pull off both a shooting and a melee horde, and have looted style vehicles, which is something he wants to do with the space skaven.

any other suggestions? tyranids were presented as an option, but obviously monstrous creatures pose a bit of a conundrum, and their codex is being redone soon.

CrownAxe
12-10-2009, 05:32
Guard

the Ratlings are actually a reference to when "skaven" where still in 40k

bdo
imperial guard. simple as that. rathumans in space.

orks? seriously? not sure if skaven are that bulky to pull off a believable T4 appearance, or if furious charge and the like would be fitting for the models...

but thats just my personal opinion :P

megatrons2nd
Why not Eldar? I don't know much about the Hrud or Skaven, but it looks like the one in the 4th edition book is holding a sniper rifle. Just use Guardians and Rangers as your troops and flesh it out from there.

Negafex
12-10-2009, 05:43
well, he specifically stated guard as a definite "no", as he wants to avoid a gunline or artillery battery style army.

the general feel for the army is supposed to be ravenous (and possibly piratical, if im interpreting his idea right) hordes that spill forth gnawing and biting.

CrownAxe
12-10-2009, 06:05
So disregard the army that represents them the most

His description of Skaven isn't really skaven

hummus
12-10-2009, 06:09
could be tau skyre weapons being the advanced pulse weaponry
actually the etheral would be a good representation of grey seer ie the army runs away if the etheral gets killed. as the kroot are mercs that seems very skavent too with the big kroots being kinda moulder mutants too, and the tau suck at close combat also.

Hypaspist
12-10-2009, 06:58
...the general feel for the army is supposed to be ravenous (and possibly piratical, if im interpreting his idea right) hordes that spill forth gnawing and biting.

Sounds like the Dark Eldar to me...

The Custodian
12-10-2009, 07:03
Hopefully he is aware that Hrud have undergone a complete makeover and now resemble nothing like Skaven in space right?

Firaxin
12-10-2009, 07:07
Yeah, they look like carapaced yeti now.

Your description does sound like Dark Eldar would be best.

Kriegfreak
12-10-2009, 07:08
I've thought of doing something similar to this. I'd personally like to see them in rusted out imperial guard type style. Something chaos warped, to kind of go along with the Fantasy theme at the same time as bring them into the 40k universe. New Skaven models look tasty, I'd imagine with some green-stuff work you could take a few guardsman and make em look like they were transforming into Skaven. Maybe a were-rat type of thing! Using the Ork codex would work well to I'd imagine. I'd stick to the Imperial Guard or Ork codexes personally.

Negafex
12-10-2009, 07:31
i dont think he's aware of the bit about the hrud, though he didnt call them hrud, that was just my assumption. he's only referred to this idea as "space skaven", so i really doubt theres any connection.

is dark eldar still any good? ive heard their codex is in such dire need of an update that its very difficult to win any games with.

also, i think he plans to incorperate all 4 clans of skaven into this thing.

the only codex im familiar with are orks, in which case maybe komandos for the assassin guys (eshin?), gretchins with a slaver for moulder (theyre all about slaves right?), big mek w/shokk attack gun for skyre, and for the last one i have no idea. granted the army composition would actually be something playable.

Einholt
12-10-2009, 07:42
I'd definitely suggest Space Wolves, they were practically made to be used for all kinds of count as stuff. And the fur connection, you can't lose.

Negafex
12-10-2009, 07:59
...space wolves? i dont think you could justify giving skaven troops a 3+ save

Einholt
12-10-2009, 08:03
You don't read many SW threads do you, when the Sons of Russ are involved you can justify aaaaanything. Alas I think my community joke was lost on you =P.

Negafex
12-10-2009, 08:10
yeah, sorry. i dont come here much.

elite_dannux
12-10-2009, 08:12
Tyranids would probably work best, lots of lots of cheap cannon fodder and some "ratogre" monsterous creatures.

Genestealers and Broodlord could be Stormermin or Eshin warriors.
Using the (current) tyrnanid codex i think that clan Moulder or Eshin would work best

genestealer_baldric
12-10-2009, 08:14
put there heads on a white scars army and wolla biker mice from mars. :)

Lothlanathorian
12-10-2009, 08:14
I'd definitely suggest Space Wolves, they were practically made to be used for all kinds of count as stuff. And the fur connection, you can't lose.

I was totally hoping I would get to be the one to say that. Damn you, good sir :p

genestealer_baldric
12-10-2009, 09:19
arnt they fairly elitish and small in number??

in that case eldar i think may work which would also fit with lower T than orks etc.

CrownAxe
12-10-2009, 09:29
Skaven are the hoarde army of Fantasy

genestealer_baldric
12-10-2009, 09:31
Skaven are the hoarde army of Fantasy

i meant the hurd or the race he planned to use them for, sorry i didnt explain clearly.

Karhedron
12-10-2009, 09:42
Tyranids would probably work best, lots of lots of cheap cannon fodder and some "ratogre" monsterous creatures.

Genestealers and Broodlord could be Stormermin or Eshin warriors.
Using the (current) tyrnanid codex i think that clan Moulder or Eshin would work best

I would second this, Nids seem to fit the horde idea fairly well. If you can track down the old Fantasy Vermin Lord model that would make a fitting Hive Tyrant. No idea how yuo would justify that in the fluff though. :confused:

Colonial Rifle
12-10-2009, 09:54
DE sound like a good fit - you can even turn the Talos into some sort of giant Rat gribbly.

CrownAxe
12-10-2009, 10:03
I don't see nids working though

Nids are hordes, but Skaven are kinda steam punk and have a plethera of machines they use, from Warpligthing Cannon to the Ratapult to the Doomwheel that tyranids just don't work with at all. Plus Skaven have kinda of a lack for big creatures (though i don't think that's the case with the new book)

Then their is Orks which are basically hoarde and have plenty of machines from artillery to vehicles but they don't seem right either. Ork by them selves are pretty buff which Skaven just doesn't fit. Plus Orks are already an army in Fantasy as Orcs and Goblins so its almost like trying to use Skaven to play another army in the same system. It just doesn't seem right.

Brother Loki
12-10-2009, 10:18
I could certainly see Tyranids working:

Gaunts - skaven clanrats
Tyranid Warriors/Tyrant Guard - rat ogres
Zoanthropes - lightning cannon

...etc.

elite_dannux
12-10-2009, 11:29
I would second this, Nids seem to fit the horde idea fairly well. If you can track down the old Fantasy Vermin Lord model that would make a fitting Hive Tyrant. No idea how yuo would justify that in the fluff though. :confused:

Easy the Skaven follows he/she/it out of fear. Btw wich army wouldnt be "fearless" when followed by their god/gods into battle?

Ironhand
12-10-2009, 12:41
Well, first of all, the Hrud aren't "space Skaven" nor even necessarily rat-like. That idea came about from one sketch that showed a hooded creature that had a vaguely rat-like tail, and some people leaped to a totally unwarranted conclusion.

Hrud are, from the available bits of fluff, not at all like your friend envisions them. They are apparently very stealthy and make considerable use of plasma technology. One of the odd-ball weapons you could use in the Inquisitor game was a "Hrud plasma fusil". They are also apparently quite technologically advanced, since the Eldar once invaded a world to keep the humans from gaining access to Hrud technology.

The Imperium has fought Hrud many times, but apparently has never had much trouble dealing with their "infestations".

I don't frankly see any current race in 40K that even comes close to the Hrud as they have actually been described - to the extent that they've been described at all.

The bottom line here is that it doesn't matter which Codex your friend uses. Tell your friend to pick whatever Codex he thinks he'd like, convert his Fantasy Skaven, and have fun.

TimLeeson
12-10-2009, 13:09
I like Hrud in their current incarnation personally, but I like the idea of Space Skaven TOO. Infact, when I saw the new Doom-Wheel I really hoped someone would do space skaven..that thing is begging to be 40ked up! i like to think space skaven are out there and their like mutated intelligent rats that orignated from human worlds.

Calixtus
12-10-2009, 21:34
Why don't you try my homemade rules instead. The blog address is http://calixtusloveswarhammer.blog.com

If there is anything you need to know about how to get about using the blog, just message me, and I will gladly explain to you. It is homemade rules for Hruds btw, taking into account that they have many units similar with Fantasy Skaven.

Negafex
12-10-2009, 23:34
k, weve prettymuch settled on the ork codex. the mixture of ocassionally haywire scrap-tech, hordyness, and expendable fodder made it the best option of the existing codecies. we decided we could justify the orks toughness in that skaven are touched in some way by nurgle with unnatural resilience.

so, ideas for units?

also, like i was saying earlier, i dont think this army has any connection to hrud. that was a poor conclusion i jumped to (im not really a fluff buff myself).

Tymell
12-10-2009, 23:40
is dark eldar still any good? ive heard their codex is in such dire need of an update that its very difficult to win any games with.

They're very much a competitive army. They're in dire need of an update in the sense that their many of their models are woefully out of date and there are a large number of balance issues within the codex. But Dark Eldar armies can be very dangerous even today if done right, they have a lot of toys, tricks and units that are highly effective, in some cases overly effective (adding to their need for update, but not hindering their potential to win).

Tooooon
12-10-2009, 23:50
Yeah, I personally think they suit Ork the best. Horde typed army, technology of a unique variety, etc....

For their toughness, theres a billion reasons why you could say its high for the space rats, from toughened underhair skin, or heck even the hair itself being durable and thick enough due to constant harsh weather on their home planet, etc...

Col. Tartleton
13-10-2009, 00:50
Skaven aren't that furry... they're humanlike rats. The less hair thing plays into it. Even rats aren't that hairy, their fur is short. I'd imagine skaven as being halway between a very hairy man and an actual rodent, not a super furry fluff ball so fluffy it can shrug off bullets. Just because the new models look like Hamtaro doesn't mean anything. (Yes, my slaves might get hamster colored fur and use the helmetless hamster heads...)

Regardless, I think Nids, Orks, Guard, and Eldar/DE could all work well. Inquisiton are my favorite pick, but they're way out of date and have no update in sight.

Drop-Trooper
13-10-2009, 00:52
Well, first of all, the Hrud aren't "space Skaven" nor even necessarily rat-like. That idea came about from one sketch that showed a hooded creature that had a vaguely rat-like tail, and some people leaped to a totally unwarranted conclusion.

Actually the picture your refering to is in the RT book and the rat like snout sticking out from the hood is why people assumed mice in space...

I would stay away from the Ork count as, the looted vehicles would be nice, but the T4 jsut wouldn't work, 'Nids on the horde idea would be nice, but as previously said, no vehicles.

Eldar maybe, with the guardians? or IG I think would be the best bet, just be selective with your (his..) choices

Oldguny
13-10-2009, 02:29
Go with Dark eldar. Or just tell him to MAN UP AND.......... play WFB!

Loki73
13-10-2009, 02:39
Ah man that was my idea lol. Personnaly if I did them I'd use the guard or even dark eldar. The guard dont have to be a gunline and they're cheap and can be grouped in a huge mob.

skaven = standard ig and or penal legion troopers
pack masters as commisars
rat ogers as well ogeres
you could put lightning cannons on chimera chassis as arty
ratlings guns as heavy bolters
use dark eldar raiders as valkeries lol
the list goes on and on....

would be realy fun!

Or orks even just use gretchin mobs for skaven slaves.....

then those elite skaven as orks

sigur
13-10-2009, 02:53
No, not Codex Orks. They just don't fit. The standard statline is just totally wrong. T4, I2 is the total opposite of Skaven, Furious Charge doesn't fit either.

Current codex IG gives you lots of possibilities to play with and by far doesn't dictate gunlines upon you.

Me, I'd personally vote for Tyranids (don't tell me you can't wait for that). They fit very well. You get hordes of human-like stats gribblies with improved initiative for your core troopers and pretty normal guns IIRC. Sounds perfect. You get some tougher, more specialized things like Warriors for Rat Ogres, you can use the concept of the screaming bell for Zoanthropes, the new huge evil monster thing makes a good carnifex, rat demon is a good hive tyrant, Stormvermin for Genestealers etc.

Fits like a charm.

Vermin-thing
13-10-2009, 03:06
A horde guard army, supported by weird unsafe tanks is the only way to play space Skaven.

I take it that he doesn't know all that much about Skaven in general.

RMHaggis
13-10-2009, 12:58
even though stated against i would go with guard, you dont 'Have' to form a gun line just mod up lightly armed infantry platoons into tides of crap assult troops, tanks can be made fo work as magical toys, and the leader type options are not miles beter away from the troops, also you can use ratlings, and ogryans as rat orges, storm troopers as stormvermin

i dont think there is any better codex to use

Poseidal
13-10-2009, 13:34
I think Dark Eldar or even regular Eldar would do the trick.

T3 mostly with 'light' saves on most units, and you can run hordes of troops in Warriors or Guardians.

Guardians have less skill, so I'm more inclined to have them as the 'clanrats', with Dire Avengers as 'storm vermin'.

The Avatar would be the Vermin Lord, basically the Eldar daemon -> Skaven daemon.

You can also fire on your own troops using the Vibro Cannon.

JHZ
13-10-2009, 13:45
the Ratlings are actually a reference to when "skaven" where still in 40k
How is that? I mean, little people, with hairy feet and like to cook. Sounds more like halflings to me.

Mannimarco
13-10-2009, 13:56
ratlings = halflings, heck i know people who wont take them on "General Principle" just because of the hobbit look

for space skaven its gotta be the dark eldar: ultra mobile, lots of bizzare weapons, lots of weak level troops with the big boys getting the best equipment (warlord as archon, stormvermin bodyguard as incubi)

Petay1985
13-10-2009, 14:04
you could even use the new plastic space wolf helmet that is supposed to be shaped like a wolves head, but infact looks more like a rat.

personally i dissike the idea of space rats more than i dislike, thunderwolf cavalry, space orks and lukas the trickster... those that know me know thats a lot of hate!! :)

if i had to do space skaven i'd do it like this:

...for space skaven its gotta be the dark eldar: ultra mobile, lots of bizzare weapons, lots of weak level troops with the big boys getting the best equipment (warlord as archon, stormvermin bodyguard as incubi)

nexus_six
13-10-2009, 14:45
Hah - I still have the 1st edition compendium listing "Rodotoxin" as one of the options for Ratling snipers - the anti-Space Rat poison...

the_picto
13-10-2009, 15:10
I think Dark Eldar or even regular Eldar would do the trick.

T3 mostly with 'light' saves on most units, and you can run hordes of troops in Warriors or Guardians.

Guardians have less skill, so I'm more inclined to have them as the 'clanrats', with Dire Avengers as 'storm vermin'.

The Avatar would be the Vermin Lord, basically the Eldar daemon -> Skaven daemon.

You can also fire on your own troops using the Vibro Cannon.

I'd go with this idea. Guardian horde with some more extravagant stuff thrown in. Fire prism could be a mobile warp lightning cannon, reapers as jezails etc. Striking scorpions would make fine clan eshin stuff.

Basically go for a weak, but agile, race with alot of hi-tech stuff.

primarch16
13-10-2009, 15:11
Warhammer skaven = Tyranids 40,000

I thought this was commen knowledge?

Draxonicar
13-10-2009, 17:35
Eeerm....hrud look much different now..
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/3/3b/Hrud.jpg/450px-Hrud.jpg

Tymell
13-10-2009, 18:41
Warhammer skaven = Tyranids 40,000

I thought this was commen knowledge?

Not as far as I can see. If you really wanted to draw links between every 40K army and every fantasy army in late 2nd/early 3rd ed., then maybe. But considering that at one point Tyranids were connected with the Fantasy world themselves (as something entirely separate from Skaven), I can't see it.

Col. Tartleton
13-10-2009, 21:38
In my opinion IG would work best. All plasma and flamers for special weapons and heavy bolters (stubbers would be better but lets digress.) Lasguns are lasguns looted by "skaven", plasmas are warp lightning rifles, flamers are warp fire projectors, bolters are belt fed jezzails with a two man team as are heavy warp flamers, (pretty much light and heavy versions of the weapon.)

Tanks would be modded doom wheels reconfigured to look more like the things in star wars, ogryn would be rat ogres, commissars would be heavy through the list as chieftains with an officer as warlord and a command squad of his various minions and whipping boys. Regular troops could be represented as clan rats given a bit of converting for guns and more skyre like stuff like cyber parts and scopes, stormvermin could get all sorts of conversion work to become stormtroopers with hand jezzails (hot shots). Tanks could be used, but preferably looted in appearence, not ork style with random plates, but covered in mud, with hay and nesting materials all over it, rats crawling around on the hull, tank riders looking ready for battle with combat weapons for jumping off, sponsons being torn open and just a fire point for a couple of maniacs with heavy weapons hanging out.

Its definitely doable. A few boxes of skaven and a few boxes of IG would easily make a couple platoons. (Every other skaven has a gun modeling wise... Woot! In game they're both armed with guns...)

Vermin-thing
15-10-2009, 11:04
Becasue of this I've decided to do a "space skaven" guard army as I like the rules, tanks, and the fluff, but I could care less about the models.

My army at 1500 points has:

command squad

two platoons with 2 chimaeras, and 40 conscripts (I think I need more) (90 on foot models)

three penal legion troops squads (30 models)

three Valkyrie assault carriers

one hydra flak tank

and three armored sententials.

Hardly a gun line at all. (besides the flak tank)

Whitehorn
15-10-2009, 11:05
I'd vote Tau. You have your fragility and strong technologies plus some vulnerable but horde combat units.

Thanatos_elNyx
15-10-2009, 11:10
I prefer Dark Eldar
Archon=Warlord
Archite=Plague Lord
Haemonculi=Master Moulder/Grey Seer
Incubi=Stormvermin
Wyches=Plague Monks
Mandrakes=Gutter Runners
[those FNP guys I can't remember name of]=Slaves
Warp Beasts=Pack Master with Giant Rats (multiple Giant Rats on a Cavalry base)
Warriors=Clan Rats
Raider=Modified Screaming Bell perhaps
Hellions/Jetbikes=some sort of Skryre conversions
Talos=Vermin Lord
Scourges=Clanrats with wings
Ravager=Doomwheel

Revlid
15-10-2009, 11:35
I started writing out a Hrud army list a while back, but it got left on the wayside.

I envisioned them as a halfway-house between their original incarnation and the Xenology depiction of them. Physically, they were effectively humanoid naked mole-rats (http://www.corante.com/loom/archives/Mole%20rat.jpg), minus the buckteeth, with visibly spine-like limbs and tail - fairly far removed from Skaven, but still a recognisable "scavenger" archetype. Sickly but surprisingly tough. Swathed in raggedy robes and wielding primitive-looking (but advanced) long barrelled rifles (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/images/3484-1-1237394778.jpg)that fire warp-plasma. Something along the lines of a Gets Hot! sniper rifle. Tubes with glowing warp-plasma running along them. Heavy weapons teams likely have back-paks of the stuff with tubes running to the guns.

Hrud psykers come in two varieties - the weaker and far more common ones generally show up as dark splotches in the warp, as opposed to the bright lights of humans or eldar, and have the inherent ability to emit a sort of gloam - a supernatural darkness that shields those around them from view. They're viewed as anyone with a special skill would be, but not as anything particularly special. The stronger ones invert this, and are worshipped as prophets of their gods - they emit a strange frequency of warplight, and effectively look like naked mole-rat versions of the Glowing Ones (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/thumb/c/ce/Fallout3GlowingOne02.jpg/160px-Fallout3GlowingOne02.jpg).

Hrud are found travelling on Space Hulks, scavenged crashed ships, hijacked ships, or sometimes even on strange ships that look like nothing more than discs wrapped round with exposed tubing and scrap that seem almost organic. Where one Hrud is found, it is a fair bet that there's a teeming nest of them waiting. While the planets in the path of the Great Crusade were cleansed utterly by the Iron Warriors, more and more newly-charted planets are found to have colonies of Hrud infesting their dark places.

Hrud often tame beasts for the purposes of war, but the one that has stayed with them the longest is the Gruulwirm (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/animorphs/images/thumb/f/f7/Taxxon-fanart.jpg/180px-Taxxon-fanart.jpg). Effectively a stomach on skittering centipede legs, these semi-sapient creatures are insatiably hungry and will eat absolutely anything the Hrud give them - including other Hrud or Gruulwirms. In this capacity they follow the Hrud into raids, squirming carpets of their young, fully-matured wirms harnessed by daring Hrud riders, and Giant Gruulwirms that tunnel through the earth.

Hrud vehicles are almost all walkers of some variety, generally open-topped, including their transports. In order to compensate for the often-rough terrain encountered by the Hrud, they move on skittering (http://www.weslouie.com/spider_walker.jpg)semi-organic spider legs, ranging from four thickly-armoured ones to more than a dozen needle-pointed ones, warp-fuel flowing through tubes to guns and exhausts.

Hrud religion involves entities that may well be bastardized interpretations of the Old Ones, which makes their use of Daemonhosts (http://paizo.com/image/content/CrimsonThrone/PZO9008-PestilenceDemon.jpg) who burn with warpfire (something that has placed them on the kill-lists of every Ordo) curious. The Hrud worship these fleshbound daemons as messengers from their gods, and the daemonhosts themselves may well believe this - an Inquisitor confirmed to have banished several of these warp spirits reported that those he exchanged words with seemed convinced they were divine heralds of the Hrud gods, rather than daemonic parasites. The idea that the Hrud have somehow brainwashed daemons is intriguing.

Hrud science is a curious mix of science and superstition found elsewhere only in the Adeptus Mechanicus, although in this case it utilises the warp rather than the edicts of the Machine God. From warp-plasma weaponry to ritualised and standardised programs of mutation and possession, to the crafting of semi-organic weaponry and vehicles, to the culturing of warp-based life, such as moss that feeds off darkness and dryness rather than light and water (effectively emitting light and moisture), or cultures of tiny daemonic parasites that are injected into prospective raiders to enhance their physical capabilities. Given how ridiculous widely spread they can be found, it has been suggested that they have access to some kind of warp-gate technology.

Individual Hrud are largely considered unimportant - it is only as they gain skills and power and become more distinct from the rest of the raiding nest in some way that their life gains any value.

For this list I would use shooty Eldar or Dark Eldar - DEldar for Warp Beasts, Talons, and Haemonculi. Eldar for Sniper Rifles, Walkers, and Reapers.

theblackmage
16-10-2009, 12:52
that sounds pretty cool! do you have a copy of the list?

gwarsh41
16-10-2009, 17:34
imperial guard. simple as that. rathumans in space.

orks? seriously? not sure if skaven are that bulky to pull off a believable T4 appearance, or if furious charge and the like would be fitting for the models...

but thats just my personal opinion :P

i agree with orks, the statlines might need adjusting, but they are pretty similar. both have crazy technology of their own, orks have garbage made mech, skaven have warp engines. Both sometimes bicker. I think orks used to have a rule where they would fight each other instead of the enemy. I have read that skaven higher command often bicker and backstab on who gets the glory.
They both run in swarms.

Calixtus
13-04-2010, 21:59
Duh, why don't you create your own Rulelist? Be creative c'mon and don't be lazy. Or I can post the Codex: Hruds I already developed. Do you want to see the Armylist? You have to choose though, because I made a separate Codex for each different Clan. There is Clan Skyre, Clan Moulder, Clan Pestilens, Clan Eshin, and Tribe Rancour. Tribe Rancour is vanilla Hruds, so it will be the base for you to follow before you add on the other specialised Great Clans. They are a pretty balanced army, and I have devoted a lot of work to their creation. Please tell me if you want to use them, then I will post them in the Rules forum.

Col. Tartleton
14-04-2010, 02:09
Orks fit if you only use Gretchin for your troops choices and leave the orks for other slots as Stormvermin and such. Clanrats fit as Gretchin with a gunblade warplock pistol and no real armoring led around by a things catcher armed packmaster guy with an attack giant rat. Then you can have Burnas as Stormvermin with skyre warpflamers or Eshin type Kommandos or loota boy Skyre, or Pestilent skaven-Nobs with Censor like Big Choppas led by a mighty Warlord warwheels with platforms for tank riders on the sides would make more then perfect ork trukks.

Firmlog
14-04-2010, 03:36
you could use guard and use them as penal troops or hardened veterans. That'd give them CC weapons; I think the penal troops get some sort of vicious attack. Rat Ogres are Ogryns, decent in CC and short ranged weapons. Doom wheels with cannons on them-the lemun russ. Ratlings and Jezzails as hvy weapon teams and snipers. Grey seer-Commissars or psyker squads. Some sort of model will have to be made into commissars, I'm sure the skaven have whip wielding models such as the ones Rat Ogres have, and it makes sense since typically you'd use commissars in Ogryn Squads.

I would see them best used as converted guard "mutants."

taphos
14-04-2010, 03:41
Wait for the new Dark Eldar book.

elite_dannux
14-04-2010, 07:44
Naah everybody knows that if some are rats its the Tau ;)

Nothing in their codex makes it a good Skaven list, but Tau are still the rats of 40k

Thanatos_elNyx
14-04-2010, 09:07
Duh, why don't you create your own Rulelist? Be creative c'mon and don't be lazy.

Because then you wouldn't have a tournament legal list.

AndrewGPaul
14-04-2010, 10:12
Meh, who needs that hassle? Make up your own list. :)

Calixtus
14-04-2010, 10:39
Why are you guys ignoring me again? And my offer to help? Trust me, my Codices are really well-made and fun to play. I would love to hear feedback from people who played with them, so I can learn and refine the Codex further from their experience.

I can post a sample armylist here if you want to review it.

dayfer
14-04-2010, 12:27
I think they allready settled on orks...

Samba
27-06-2011, 03:04
I've been making a skaven 40k army for around a year now. Basically speaking orcs is a bad idea not just because of the whole toughness 4 thing but because they aren't particularly skaven. The only real similarity is that they are a horde army. If you are looking at it technology wise the orcs are basically far behind skaven. Skaven in warhammer are quite technologically advanced compared to the other races and their total disregard for the well being of other rats means that if you give them another 40,000 years to develop they will have either wiped themselves out or developed some pretty impressive weapons. Hence not orcs

I could understand tyranids as an army chose except for the whole fearless thing. Sure i know one of you said who wouldn't be fearless if they were following their god but by this logic space marines should be fearless too since they are following the god emperor (yes this is metaphoric not literal but the same can also be said for elder with the avatar and chaos marines with greater demons.)

tau: HUH? way too happy smiley

Elder: bit of a stretch, not swarmy enough

Dark Elder: I did think about this as a possibility but the whole pain tokens thing and being absolutely awesome at close combat doesn't quite match

Space Marines: no way in the world.

Chaos Marines: yea sure nurgle and all that but they wouldn't be skaven.

Imperial Guard: Now we are talking. Massive amounts of low cost poorly armed infantry. Conscripts are a beautiful way of showing skaven slaves. Commisars perfectly match the skaven ethos, "flee and i'll shoot you." yep, a commisar heavy lasgun armed swarm. Heavy weapons match too, like i said 40000 years of experimentation, they've gotta have something to show for it. Add to that the special characters all of which would get their but kicked by any other special character in the game but with beautiful unit augmenting abilities, commander chenkov is so beautifully skaven that he was the first SC i converted. As for tanks, well the imperium tanks aren't that special. take it at face value, something big armoured with big guns on it, doesn't have to look like an IP tank. (conversion wise, cadian troops arm sprue matches skaven clanrats so well.)

Poseidal
27-06-2011, 10:08
Eldar can field 20 strong Guardian units, which are reasonably swarmy in a smaller game.

Isfimbur
27-06-2011, 10:55
I think a Grot Rebelion army would do the trick. Lots of small bite size tanks and swarm infantry with heavy weapon support teams.

Poseidal
27-06-2011, 11:03
Skaven are mansized (they have actual swarms but the only ones in 40k are nurglings and rippers AFAIK).

Going by stats for regular rats, the ones similar to a man are:

Tau - Equip too good, low initiative stat isn't Skaven like.
Guardsmen - Equipment is about right level, has conscripts which can be like slaves - problem is they have exactly man stats (and aren't as fast)
Eldar - Gaurdians are a perfect fit except for leadership (though Ld. has less effect in 40k); larger games may have a problem with large numbers (if 120 Guardians isn't enough).
Tyranids - Gaunts are a pretty good match. Problem is none of the characters fit, and only abomination style (clan Moulder) can be represented really.

Sami
27-06-2011, 16:31
Dark Eldar could be a good fit: fast but fragile foot-sloggers, lots of poison, a large collection of freaks for Clan Moulder, etc. Only thing you would have a hard time representing are the 2-3 man special weapon teams and Engineers.

WWP could be holes in the ground ;)

Poseidal
27-06-2011, 16:35
Yeah, new Dark Eldar work well, though you're mostly eschewing normal rats for Plaguebearers or Stormvermin in this case.

Thanatos_elNyx
27-06-2011, 16:41
I've had this idea for years, and I finally built it.
I now have 1000 points of 40k Skaven, using Dark Eldar rules :)

I used converted Ork Trukks for Raiders and Ravagers.
I also used a converted 1:72 scale A-10 as a Razorwing.
I had to use the new Stormvermin models for the Warriors as the new warrior models aren't as poseable.
I used Nightrunners as Wyches.

I'll be adding some converted Ork Kopta's as Reavers, some Plague Monks as Wracks and some other bits.

wyvirn
27-06-2011, 17:24
Mmmm This is a tasty threadromancy!
Well, if you don't need the army for a while, I would read the '6th ed rumors' thread around page 27-32. :)

Rickdick
28-06-2011, 01:30
Key things to consider are fast, hi I, lots of em, sneaky stuff and no one believes they exist.

Rickdick
28-06-2011, 01:33
grey knights inquisitor henchman squads would be cool loads of options and rag tag.

Arnizipal
06-07-2011, 11:21
Threadomancy bad. Threadlock good.

Arnizipal,

++ The Warseer Moderation Team ++