PDA

View Full Version : What BoC units won't be remade?

Shrapnelsmile
12-10-2009, 05:36
I want to start painting a Beast army now, I enjoyed my trial game today. What units do you think will not get retooled? I'll want everything new if possible, but it seems things like War Hounds of Chaos and possibly even Ungors won't be re-released.

anyone have any info? I don't want to paint models that are going to be out of print in 6 months, in case I want more later.

Devil Tree
12-10-2009, 07:58
Its just speculation at this, but I’d assume the following will remain the same.

Beast Herds
War hounds
Chaos Spawn
Chaos Giant

They’re all fairly new kits and since Beasts have been a bit neglected, GW has bigger fish to fry such as decent Dragon Ogres, Better Character models and plastic Bestigors and Minotaurs. I also think that Centigors will stay the same, but others think they will be rereleased in plastic.

mrtn
12-10-2009, 09:50
Those kits Devil Tree mentioned seems safe, and so does the wargor models, atleast buy them if you like them, personally I tihnk they're lovely models. Gaming-wise the GW one is better than the AHW one, at least with the current armybook.

O&G'sRule
12-10-2009, 11:31
I would suspect nothing that is in the warriors book (dragon ogres etc) or the daemons book other than a daemon prince will make it back in. What new models there are is top secret, I'd just wait personally.

Tokamak
12-10-2009, 11:34
Beast Herds aren't certain. There are rumours the gors and ungors will become seperate units (I guess that's one way to add to the number of different units, way to go GW).

War hounds are just a definite stayer, they won't be replaced nor removed from the book.

overlordofnobodies
12-10-2009, 13:06
I want to start painting a Beast army now, I enjoyed my trial game today. What units do you think will not get retooled? I'll want everything new if possible, but it seems things like War Hounds of Chaos and possibly even Ungors won't be re-released.

anyone have any info? I don't want to paint models that are going to be out of print in 6 months, in case I want more later.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I will love to get started painting a Beast army right now but nothing is save. Like Tokamak said Beast Herds may get seperate.

Even hounds are not save as I hear there going to be breeds of them.

Seabo
12-10-2009, 13:39
Hounds will stay. Maybe be changed a bit but they will still be there.
Thinking the Chaos Ogres will be gone as they don't really fit in.
On the fence about Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth. Never used the Dragon Ogres and the Shaggoth, while being an awesome looking model, needs a serious upgrade. WoC Shag is both cheaper and has slightly better stats.

EvC
12-10-2009, 14:09
Realistically, the re-releases do not herald a massive wave of new kits. Skaven for example are getting 4 new plastics and 3 new metal models... and that's your lot! So for Beastmen a lot of the range will be safe.

Beast Herds are probably 50-50, GW like redoing the main core unit sometimes, but not always. Bestigor are 90% going to be made plastic, Shamans are sooooooo old that they're definite too. Minotaurs are a safe bet for upgrades as their models are pretty bad. Some models we don't even know will make it, like Trolls and Dragon Ogres!

shadow hunter
12-10-2009, 14:09
I think the beastherd models are really good still. I wont be replacing them (beastmen is only a side army for me - so want to keep it as cheap as possible).

The chariot is pretty good still too. For the hounds I'm gonna just use my dire wolves. So what if they look a bit undead, I like them.

I've got the Shaggoth, and it would be a shame if it didn't get into the book. Looks like it'll be staying in my cabinet and become a display peice permenantly.

I would think the shamans will be redone as I think the are horrible models. The wargors are ok - but I reckon new ones will still come out. Hopefully a new Doombull. Minotaurs aren't that great either, so I reckon they will be redone.

I think (hope) bestigors get done in plastic. I've never bought any (normal, Khorne or Nurgle) as they were too dear in metal.

I like my metal centigors, but would hope they get converted into plastic. I keep knocking off the arms.

Draquenoire
12-10-2009, 15:14
I'm willing to bet money that GW will drop the current Beast Herd for a new kit or kits.

mrtn
12-10-2009, 17:25
I'm willing to bet money that GW will drop the current Beast Herd for a new kit or kits.

Oh? If I were a betting man I'd take you up on it. Beastmen have one plastic kit that is theirs alone, it's looking good, and you think they'd change it?

@EvC: The difference with skaven is that they have 5 units (6 if you count slaves) in plastic already. You'd think that this could mean that they will make at least as many new sets for the beastmen, so that they will at least reach the number of plastics skaven started with...

Harwammer
12-10-2009, 19:55
I'm tempted to put £18 on the gor/ungor models staying the same (even if the sprues change slightly)... I could do with a fourth beast herd box...

I don't think BoC will be getting that big a release. Some new minotaurs, probably some bestigors and maybe the 'new gribbly' and that will be about it.

Out of the main units that people use (herds, hounds, giant, spawn, chariots, minotaurs and bestigors) only minotaurs and bestigors desperatly need replacing. The chariot is servicable for now, but hopefully something will arise with the new boar sculpts. Obviously the new monster needs a model, but that may go the same way as warshrine/forsaken.

Avian
12-10-2009, 20:05
It would make little sense to redo the Beast Herd kit when the army has so few dedicated plastic kits as it is, and the box is good enough. I would be willing to be a moderate amount of money that the priority is getting more of the Core stuff into plastic (Bestigor and Minotaurs are my bets) before starting to redo any existing kit.

shadow hunter
12-10-2009, 21:08
I hope the minotaurs turn out ok. I dont like these rumours of them being 'horrible' and a comedy giant eye of the forest?:confused:

The Red Scourge
12-10-2009, 21:39
Just check up on whats not available or going out of stock from independant retailers. This is usually a pretty good indication of what will be redone with an upcoming book :)

My money is on bestigors, centigors and minotaurs along with some new rare choices :)

DarkTerror
12-10-2009, 22:59
I'd bet that the Centigors stay the same.

As for the Dragon Ogres and Shaggoth, I really hope they make the cut, but I doubt it.

mbh1127
13-10-2009, 01:22
Beast Herds aren't certain. There are rumours the gors and ungors will become seperate units (I guess that's one way to add to the number of different units, way to go GW).

War hounds are just a definite stayer, they won't be replaced nor removed from the book.

please do this

Hate that mixed unit of gors and ungors

Seabo
13-10-2009, 02:50
Picked up a Mordheim Shaman to use as I agree that the original BraySham models were kinda ugly. No complaints about the Wargors though.
Please get a facelift, plastic mould for the Minotaurs!!! They are really ugly IMO and the only reason I use them is they are the hardest hitting unit we have lol (discounting the DOgres because they have to be within the top 5 of the Ugliest of All Time Award :D )

Arjuna
13-10-2009, 06:05
If I have to rebase my ungors AGAIN, someone at GW will DIE a very gruesome death that will involve small pointy metal toys and the most posterior portion of their alimentary canal.

I really do not think the plastic herd kit will be remade because the current one is pretty decent. Maybe they will figure a way up the unit cost per model though?

sulla
13-10-2009, 08:09
@EvC: The difference with skaven is that they have 5 units (6 if you count slaves) in plastic already. You'd think that this could mean that they will make at least as many new sets for the beastmen, so that they will at least reach the number of plastics skaven started with...DE got 2 plastic kits and one metal model plus characters... Beasts have beastherds, a giant, hounds and spawn already. Plastic Bestigors and minotaurs are probably all we can reasonably expect. Hopefully we'll get metal models for any new units they introduce, but maybe not. Being chaos, we may be expected to convert...

shadow hunter
13-10-2009, 10:30
I dont see why it has to be a forest theme. Didn't the beastmen book have a map of the location/spread of beastmen>? They were everywhere, including the mountains.

overlordofnobodies
13-10-2009, 11:37
DE got 2 plastic kits and one metal model plus characters... Beasts have beastherds, a giant, hounds and spawn already. Plastic Bestigors and minotaurs are probably all we can reasonably expect. Hopefully we'll get metal models for any new units they introduce, but maybe not. Being chaos, we may be expected to convert...

Beasts only have beastherds. The other were for other army so they dont count.
Hounds and Spawn are for WOC
Gaints were from OK,O&G

Skraal2099
13-10-2009, 12:22
Beasts only have beastherds. The other were for other army so they dont count.
Hounds and Spawn are for WOC
Gaints were from OK,O&G

Are you trying to troll?
Who says that the only box that BoC can have is the beast herd?

Tringsh
13-10-2009, 12:50
It would be silly to take out the Shaggoth and Dragon Ogres, they fall under the gnarly beast men theme. I also seem to remember a play tester hinting that they had received a plastic Dragon Ogre but you know what they are like.

mrtn
13-10-2009, 12:52
@Skraal2009: I don't think he's trolling, he's pointing out that beastmen only have one plastic box dedicated to that army.

Tringsh
13-10-2009, 14:26
Please excuse my ignorance but what is 'trolling'?

mrtn
13-10-2009, 14:45
Looking for fish with a trawler. It can also mean looking for trouble on the internet. If I post "I love Hitler, all Americans are gay" then I'm sure to anger at least one of you, which would be the whole point of the pointless exercise.

zak
13-10-2009, 14:54
I would be happy for new Bestigors and minotaurs. I can live with the rest of the range as is, although some new characters would be nice.

Tringsh
13-10-2009, 15:16
Looking for fish with a trawler. It can also mean looking for trouble on the internet. If I post "I love Hitler, all Americans are gay" then I'm sure to anger at least one of you, which would be the whole point of the pointless exercise.

I see, thanks :D.

Anyway back on subject! I think the only things that couldn't do with a revamp are the Beast Herds, Hounds and Beast Lord models. The rest looks I'm sorry to say, a bit naff. I do have a small crush on the Shaggoth though :p.

Tohellweride
13-10-2009, 15:19
Not that bothered about a plastic Bestigor box as i simply used bloodletters with some left over heads from my herd boxes, Plastic Minos are a must i think, other than that a chariot would be nice but if the rumoured move to special is true i wont need as many.

For dear god dont split the herds. Its the one thing we have thats pretty reliable. :D

Skraal2099
13-10-2009, 22:24
@Skraal2009: I don't think he's trolling, he's pointing out that beastmen only have one plastic box dedicated to that army.

Ok. Sorry overlordofnobodies, I guess I misunderstood your post.

On topic, will chaos trolls and ogres be in the next book? How about giants?

overlordofnobodies
13-10-2009, 22:31

Thats all right. I should have word it better. As for the Trolls and Ogres. I hear that there not in the book. Witch I agree with. They really dont fit. I dont now about the giant.

mrtn
13-10-2009, 23:15

Since the clamp down on the rumours we don't really know. Hopefully we'll get some when the skaven are out. If you're looking to stat up an army I wouldn't buy more than a herd or two, and a wargor with great weapon.

For more beastmen goodness, check out The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx).

Brotheroracle
13-10-2009, 23:58
"I love Hitler, all Americans are gay"

I think that is going to be my new sig.

billytheid
14-10-2009, 06:06
If they nix the Dragon Ogres and the Shaggoth I'm dumping BoC. Spent bloody heaps getting them and I love having a Shaggoth Champ as a lord choice, backed by 4 dragon Ogres.
As to not fitting with the feel of the army, nonsense. Beastmen are all over the Old World, from the north of Naggaroth to the islands of Cathay. Taking them out would be a really lame move designed to force BoC players to spend more on rare units. They do that and I'm done with them.

Sygerrik
14-10-2009, 06:42
Pretty much everyone knows Giants and Spawn are staying the same. I wouldn't be surprised if they redid beast herds, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. As for real, actual significant predictions... I'd guess redone Minotaurs/Doombull and plastic Bestigors. Besides that, no idea.

Lordsaradain
14-10-2009, 15:52
These will stay, I'm certain:
War hounds
Chaos Spawn
Chaos Giant

Beast Herds too most likely.

Col_Festus
14-10-2009, 17:10
My bet is they will get 4 new plastic boxes like skaven. Which will probably be 1 new unit that we dont know about, bestigors will probably become plastic, new plastic chariots, and probably plastic Minotaurs/trolls. HOWEVER, if the rumors are true of the upcoming cavalry release next summer you may see them redo centigors and chariots then. They will also probably split the Gor/ungor box into 10 man boxes of each for 25$ like they did with every single army around 40k and otherwise.
I personally would love to see a plastic doombull kit...

mrtn
14-10-2009, 18:55
I can't really see them splitting the herds 10/10, since 60% of the bodies and maybe 80% of the rest is for the gors.

Devil Tree
15-10-2009, 07:09
I don’t see them splitting them up either. Look at it from a cost/benefit perspective. Right now each sprue has 3 Gors and 2 Ungors. Since the prevailing trend with GW seems to be giving each kit at least 5 unique body types, that means they’d have to sculpt at least 5 more models for it to work. They would need an additional 2 Gors and 3 Ungors bodies, along with all the extra arms and stuff that go along with it. And if the sculpts are of differing quality...

As it is, it’s probably too much of a hassle for GW to effectively remake a box set they already produced. Mind you, being able to stock up on Ungors would be pretty cool, I just don’t see it happening.:(