PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play inquisitorial armies anymore?

drizzt73
12-10-2009, 09:07
Hi all, I've been thinking about this for a while and am wondering if many people still play demon hunters, witch hunters or deathwatch (aka alien hunters)? I ask as I don't see many in my area or online for that matter.

I am a huge inquisition fan and love their background and imagery but imho their army lists don't match this (even when they were newly released).

I would love a new codex -dare I say it a combined inquisition dex with new plastic minis (especially GK's and Deathwatch). I know that Marine armies are popular and having been involved since Rogue Trader days I have had a few marine armies myself and understand that they probably make up 40-50% of sales, but I am sure with some love the inquisition sales could rise significantly.

I also realise that Dark Eldar and Necrons need new dexes as well but the inquisition is nearly as old and they never released the third book- Alien Hunters.

Anyway I just wanted to know other peoples thoughts and if they feel the same?

Cheers

Kurisu313
12-10-2009, 09:16
I mostly use my Inquisitorial units as allies to my Guard or Marines, to add a bit of fluff to why we're fighting.

I have 3 Inquisitors (1 of each ordo) and have some of each chamber militant, 1 squad of Grey Knights, one sisters of battle squad and 2 Deathwatch Kill-teams.

I've also done a True-Scale GK and DW squad to look cool with my guard

I've just added a fourth inquisitor in terminator armour just because I wanted to, and to keep the other 3 from squabbling :p

grissom2006
12-10-2009, 09:16
DH & WH Armies still get played DW not really as the rules are out dated and the Sternguard take up that role anyway in the SM Codex.

You will find a large thread covering the concept on combining the Codices together.

I myself still have and use a 3500pts SOB army.

drizzt73
12-10-2009, 09:29
DH & WH Armies still get played DW not really as the rules are out dated and the Sternguard take up that role anyway in the SM Codex.

You will find a large thread covering the concept on combining the Codices together.

I myself still have and use a 3500pts SOB army.

Do you have a link to the thread?

Cheers

grissom2006
12-10-2009, 09:46
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214661&highlight=inquisitor hope that helps.

drizzt73
12-10-2009, 09:52
thanks grissom!

Karhedron
12-10-2009, 10:11
I have a few DH models but I have never really used them. I could not justify building a 4th complete army. While I could bring in units as allies, it just seemed a bit cheesy somehow. A couple of cheap units of storm troops to baby-sit objectives and soem GKTs to teleport in and kick chaotic butt are fun but just seemed unfair on my opponents somehow.

If I came up against a real power-player who thrashed my army, I might feel justified in coming back a week later with some inquisitorial reinforcements. As it stands, my gaming group seems to lean more towards the fluffy side of things rather than power gamers and I have no desire to upset the happy balance by starting an arms race.

Barbarossa
12-10-2009, 10:12
Jup, I still play my demon- and witchhunter armies regularly, as well as adding units to my guard. The codices still work fine, even though some stuff is simply no longer apllicable.

mr.kislev
12-10-2009, 10:21
i have a 2000pt pure grey knight army including 2 forge world dreadnaughts

billytheid
12-10-2009, 10:48
My mate has a combination Grey Knight/Scout army that is utterly devastating. He uses a scout land speeder and scout bikes combined with a sniper squad and a close combat squad

Backing that he has a Whirlwind, a squad of Grey Knights Terminators in a Land Raider/drop pod, a squad of 5/10 regular Grey Knights and a scratch build Grey Knights Dred.(looks like a huge mecha-Knight with a power-glaive, hand sculpted medieval helm-esque head, bloody amazing)

I thought this was a really good application of the 'hunters' aspect of the army. The scout sneak in and find the target, try to pin it down with sniper fire and indirect Whirlwind bombard/mines, they can also zoom about and cause mayhem in the land speeder and bikes. Then all of a sudden the bloody Grey Knight death-machines-from-hell show up and cut everything to bits.

He uses this army all the time and it honestly doesn't feel cheesy to play against. If his precise strike plans fail he's cactus but if they work then CHOP! Feels like Daemon Hunters should I reckon.

chromedog
12-10-2009, 11:21
I still play them. Daemonhunters. GK+inquisition.
I don't care if they aren't 'top tier' (and at a major tourney here, GKs wiped the floor, so that's not necessarily true) - they look cool and that's why I chose them.
Yes, they're expensive, so unlike marines, not everyone will play them. They have, like most armies, a learning curve. A little steep - steep enough that kids who like the look and hate to lose - give up on them after a couple of games. Either that or their lack of skills and patience with metal models makes them give them up.

To someone who has the skills (and tools) to deal with metal models, and doesn't care overly if he wins or loses they are a fine army. A challenge to paint and assemble (unlike most GW (plastic) kits which can be assembled with your eyes closed and no instructions.).

KaldCB
12-10-2009, 12:06
I only play with inqusitorial army now, as i have a huge imperial guard army converted to be inqusitorial troops, and lots of storm troopers and grey knights and space marines everything is being painted in the same colurs to represent that they are the same force.
it's fun as you change change between 4 different codexes depending on what you want to play with.

DaSpaceAsians
12-10-2009, 12:59
3 of the local players at my LGS play Daemonhunters and Witchhunters. 2 are very good and one's getting better.

The Red Scourge
12-10-2009, 13:09
Just starting 40K with Daemonhunters. It was either that, Tau, or Tyranids.

But Daemonhunters won out, because my interest was peeked from playing the Dark Heresy RPG :)

And I primarily choose my armies based on their models, thats how I ended up with HoC, WE, VC and slayers in WFB :)

edward3h
12-10-2009, 13:16
There are several at my FLGS. I play Sisters, and there are a couple of others Sisters armies. There are also two regular Daemonhunters armies and another guy working on one.

Edonil
12-10-2009, 13:29
I have a pure Inquisition force (2000 point list of pure Sisters with a Grey Knight Terminator squad) that I've been using since January. I could probably field about 3500 in pure Inquisition, if I really wanted to put the effort into it. Love the army, will continue to play it, looking forward to the new book. Unfortunately, I'm one of three people in town who will build an army out of Witch Hunters or Daemonhunters- the rest have a squad or two from one of the books that they'll take as allies on the rarest of occasions. It does make things interesting, cause people still don't know really what to do against my Sisters beyond get them into close combat, and I've been getting better at denying them that option.

stormboy
12-10-2009, 13:49
It is my belief that the Inq. codexes got a big bump from the Guard and Marine codexes (codexi?) due to the allies rules. I have seen a few very nicely themed armies. In fact, in the League I am running a pure Sisters army unseated the top player with his Tallyman of Nurgle Daemons. There is still a little life left in the Inquisition.

Edonil
12-10-2009, 13:57
It is my belief that the Inq. codexes got a big bump from the Guard and Marine codexes (codexi?) due to the allies rules. I have seen a few very nicely themed armies. In fact, in the League I am running a pure Sisters army unseated the top player with his Tallyman of Nurgle Daemons. There is still a little life left in the Inquisition.

See, I really hate this belief, that because two 'sidebar' armies got an update, my core army (which I ally only with the other 'core' army that got this supposed buff) doesn't need to receive an update? I really don't see how Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters got a big boost with the update of Imperial Guard and Space Marines, especially since GW has further restricted the options for allies by denying us anything like Imperial Guard Veterans. Pure WH and DH still are at the same level they have been, and since that's the army I'm playing, they haven't gotten an update.

Inquisitor Gideon
12-10-2009, 14:20
Yo! about 8000pts of pure sisters right here.

Shas'O Dorian
12-10-2009, 14:33
I can't justify GK's against anything but chaos marines & daemons. Mainly because they are highly expensive in point cost & at the end of the day they die just like regular marines.

Raven Down
12-10-2009, 14:36
Yo Mama,

Every Branch of the Inquisition, Whether they have rules or not.

Commisar
12-10-2009, 14:41
I have 3000 points of pure Sisters of Battle, who I find still work as a reasonably competative army list, I also have an Inquisitor and a couple of different assassins that I can slot into my IG army at will.

I think Pure sisters of Battle still work realy well, Pure Gray Knights seem to work slightly less well... I think that Inquisitional stuff allied with IG can work realy well.

What dosent seem to work is the 'Mixed Bag' Inquisitorial army were you take a bit of everything. So thats why you dont see that much.

stormboy
12-10-2009, 18:11
See, I really hate this belief, that because two 'sidebar' armies got an update, my core army (which I ally only with the other 'core' army that got this supposed buff) doesn't need to receive an update? I really don't see how Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters got a big boost with the update of Imperial Guard and Space Marines, especially since GW has further restricted the options for allies by denying us anything like Imperial Guard Veterans. Pure WH and DH still are at the same level they have been, and since that's the army I'm playing, they haven't gotten an update.

While I see your point, I have to say that you need to take what you can get. Inq. armies don't seem to be on anyone's priority list. You are right, Iqu. armies have not received an update of their own. But they are also the only codexes (codexi?) that allow for allies inside their armylist/force org. Therefore, part of their army list did receive an update.

Souleater
12-10-2009, 19:01
Played Sisters since 2nd Edition :D

I have a few GK and Inquistor models who show up as their allies now and again.

Hicks
12-10-2009, 19:07
I already had a bunch of Storm Troopers in my Steel Legion, so when the DH codex came out I couldn't pass getting some units from that codex. It wasn't as cheap as I planned since everything is in metal, but now I have a DH army. It's really centered around the GKs now though and more often than not I don't mix my IG and DH, a bit of a shame since I wanted the GKs to use as allies in the first place.

TheEndIsHere
12-10-2009, 19:16
Imagine this:

Put codex SM, SW (sorry guys), BA, BT and DA (I'd rather have them squated) into one codex, call it Codex Space Marine.

Trippy! but wait, theres more!

Put Eldar, Dark Eldar, Craftworlds, Exodites and Pirates into one codex, call it Codex Eldar.

You following me big guy?

Put Chaos Space Marines, Lost and the Damned, Daemons and Legions into one codex, call it Codex Chaos

And if you call in the next 10 minutes, cause we can't do this all day.

Put Witch hunters, Daemon hunters and Death watch into one codex, call it Codex Inquisition.

Absolutly free.

So for this you get:
Codex Space Marines
Codex Chaos
Codex Eldar
Codex Inquisition
Codex Imperial Guard
Codex Orks
Codex Necron
Codex Tyranid
Codex Tau

That 9 codices. You know what this means? If GW become lazy and only release 3 codices a year, every 3 years, your codex will be updated, which ever codex it is, every 3 years, a TOTAL rotation. The oldest codex now would have been puplished in febuary 2007 and would be coming out in 4 months, no way! You could get a codex every febuary, june and october, gives more time for designers, so bigger project, better rules, better play testing, you count even STILL be greedy, give 1 big codex every year (Space marines, Chaos or Eldar) in june and 2 smaller ones.

That would be awesome wouldn't it?

D-End

Fugazi
12-10-2009, 19:19
Imagine this:

Your clear-headed (and profitable) solution makes too much sense for it to ever work. :p

mdauben
12-10-2009, 20:22
I've got a fair sized Daemonhunters force including several Inquisitor Squads, Grey Knights, Storm Troopers, some inducted IG and a Leman Russ. I'd like to get some more GKs, and maybe a LR or two to fill out the force, but there always seems to be some other, more ugent, gaming purchase that I just have to buy instead. :rolleyes:

From a modeling viewpoint, its probably my favorite army with all the colorful and diverse models involved. It does not see as much play time as my Tau or my SM, though.

Caiphas Cain
12-10-2009, 20:33
TheEndIsHere, why won't GW hire you? I wish they would do as you say, you got the right ideas!

Max Jet
12-10-2009, 20:57
@ TheEndIsHere

How I'd wish your advise would be heard...

However you forget the hordes of Space Marine Players (unfortunately not little timmies, but even veterans) that look at the new DA Codex... Buy it because it is so much better, than the current Space Marine Codex.. buy miniatures and write their list around it..

And then buy everything again as soon as the Space Marine Codex Redux is finished, because it is so much better.

And yeah.. then comes the Space Wolves Codex. Wait for the Blood Angels and then the Black Templar!

Mánagarmr
12-10-2009, 21:07
Your tears sustain me; just as Marines sustain GamesWorkshop.

Aubec le noir
12-10-2009, 21:12
GK (and DH) are my only 40K army
Aubec :chrome:

Xelloss
12-10-2009, 21:18
Yes, TheEndIsHere, we know you don't like divergent codices. Do you need to post it in every topic you join ? Why there is marine codices and how this is not only inescapable but indispensable to have them have already been answered in other topics, in answer to you in a quite good number of them btw.

Back to the topic, I always wanted to do a sister army, and with ebay and the rise of my fund income I finally was able to obtain one. I often see in my GWLGS GK, and one sister/IG army, so I guess in respond to the original question I can say Inq is still played, but is not among the popular armies (that would be SM and tau)

Ph4lanx
12-10-2009, 21:37
I play Daemonhunters as one of my two main armies (see my sig). It's not bad either. Pretty competitive, and does well against most types.

It's more of a "reaction" force than most others, in the fact that my strategy is to react to the enemy's strategy. Works well.

Drop-Trooper
13-10-2009, 00:18
I have about 3000 points of non-power armour (no SoB or GK) Inq forces. That's lots of stormies and other goodness, though not at all competative, it is fun to play.

Purge the Heretic
13-10-2009, 02:50
Sisters, 3000+ pts.

Sometimes I run a SM or BT base army with sister allies, but WH are my one true army, been running sisters since just before 3rd.

Working on getting more penitents and things.

carldooley
13-10-2009, 04:08
I used to have a pure GK force, but I didn't really care for the feel of the games. however, lately I have been taking a GK squad over sternguard for the reasons stated here*. there are definitely things to be said for DH, and WH. the Grand Master is a monster in games and still able to take wargear that makes it the preeminent HQ choice for any allied force. the DH inquisitor can take any number of buffs, my favorite of which is the null rod, which will surprise any number of people. then there is the WH Inquisitor with its Psi-tracker, a potent piece that makes the inquisitor worth fielding in any force. with fifth, I've had to rethink the loadouts on the inquisitors, but with the right mix you'll end up surprising any number of players. I don't play them by themselves anymore, but nowadays you'll be hard pressed to see me with a SM list without inquisitorial allies.

* http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224966

silashand
13-10-2009, 04:26
A challenge to paint and assemble (unlike most GW (plastic) kits which can be assembled with your eyes closed and no instructions.).

Obviously you haven't tried assembling the Stompa... :p

djinn8
13-10-2009, 04:33
I recently bought a Sisters army. £300 got me 1500 points exactly.

LonelyPath
13-10-2009, 10:24
I still play DH whenever I can, usually a pure GK force, though sometimes I throw in a Inquisitor and some ST to mix it up a little.

Fenrir
13-10-2009, 11:40
I've often mulled over a Grey Knight force, and came close to clicking the purchase button a few times.

The thing that puts me off, is the composition of the standard GK box - justicar, incinerator and three knights. For £20, although I could have bought when they were £18.

Still a class army, but I'll wait to see what plastics are produced.

Rob'
13-10-2009, 12:43
I've bought some grey knights, because they look like what all 40K space marines should look like. With scriptures, crusaders helms, etc...

But I've never played them over 750points. Too weak.

I've enjoyed witch hunters, as they are less of an army that's good against only one foe. And battle chicks in curved power armour sounds fun. As there were too many metal minis, I never had a full battle force though. And they are now ageing rule-wise.

Darkspear
13-10-2009, 14:39
I am still playing Witch Hunters. Surprisingly I have a better win ratio in this edition than the previous one despite the fact that our Codex is so old. And nope I do not use inducted or allied troops.

polymphus
13-10-2009, 14:47
I had 1500pts of Hereticus-heavy Witch Hunters that I sold to pay for uni. :( Not the greatest tabletop wise, but fluff and fun as hell. Noone expects stormtroopers in rhinos! I'm thinking about buying another Inquisitor plus some dominion squads and throwing them together with some marines once I've got enough spare cash lying about.