PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld Tyranids or Blood Angels?

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 14:02
I have recently sold up alot of stuff to expand my 40K.
And now the money has finally cleared.
But what to do with it?
I have a large Tyranid force and Im tempted by the Titans and Dules from Forgeworld.
The models are stunning but I dony know If they would get used much because I very rarely play any games big enough.
On the other hand I thought about a second 40K force.
The Blood Angels have appealed to me since I was 12. Now 25.
And they would get more use but less conversion ang not look as nasty and imposing.

What to do?
What do you think?

Hypaspist
12-10-2009, 14:28
well, do you have the capacity to play bigger games on a slightly more frequent basis? (ie maybe once every three months? or so)
some friends (who are capable and eager to play) and the time?
if so, don't get put off by not playing many currently because the very fact that you will have bigger gribblies will be incentive enough for you to arrange more games.

of course, on the new force side of things, Blood Angels may not have a squillion conversion opportunities, but you can always go the whole hog on making each model slightly unique, from making the bases really nice (friend of mine is currently making bases of pooled blood and the crushed bones of foes for Blood Angel bases) and you can always add angel iconography from DA sprues as a lot of it is just generic Angel Iconography not specific to the Blood Angels.

Plus don't forget forgeworld do brass etched blood angel symbols and Resin Termy pads.
so mucking around with a few bits and pieces and you can make them plenty unique.

and you could always do a successor chapter....
depends entirely on whether you want
a) Ability to play big games with big beasts
b) variety to play 'normal' size games with an option of a different army.

answer that question and you have your answer :)

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 14:31
I see what you mean by the fact I would arrange more games. And that is likly since Im starting up a new club.
And the bugs are stunning!
But I may end up getting some of each

Raven Down
12-10-2009, 14:32
Nids,

Those ForgeWorld gribberlies are A blast to build and a pain to Kill, If you can get some Apoc games their a great choice.

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 14:35
I have the Barbed Heiro so far and he has taken out a warhound and a stompa in one game. What if he had help from 3 other giant beasts?

Hypaspist
12-10-2009, 14:42
What if he had help from 3 other giant beasts?
Then it would *Truly* be an 'Apocalyptic' game ;)

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 14:49
Im looking at going for 3750 in 5 models

pookie
12-10-2009, 15:34
personally i think you shodl actually make your mind up if the BA are for you, must be half a dozen threads by yourself on the BA and yet your still not decided..

Col. Dash
12-10-2009, 15:45
My take on them is this. Nids are less played, marines are extremely overplayed and BA are probably the 3rd or 4th most common chapter on the field. Most people go "oh great, more marines" when they see them on the table. I enjoy playing games against nids just because i do not see them very often.
On FW stuff, from experience, unless you play alot of Apoc games, dont waste your money. I just sold a bunch of my eldar stuff simply because it just gathers dust and rarely do people allow stuff like Phantoms on the table because they are super super heavies and make normal superheavies look small. Now normal sized FW stuff you can use in regular games of 40k(because IA has stated all normal FW can be used in normal games without permission unless its a tourney), go for it. I do it all the time with my Tau. I havent looked to see if FW has non-superheavy models but i would assume they do. Just make sure you can paint it, FW models are too nice to put on a crappy paint job :P

Fugazi
12-10-2009, 17:24
The FW Nids look amazing. Maybe there's a compromise in here. If you've been dying to play BA since you were a kid, build a BA army then get one FW model for display.

If you find that your new club games are bigger, you shouldn't have any problem selling your BA army to finance a new Nid one.

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 21:33
I ended up buying the FW Tyranids. (wife not happy)
And I think i will do Blood Angels one unit at a time. Starting next payday

Fugazi
12-10-2009, 21:35
I ended up buying the FW Tyranids. (wife not happy)
haha. No one told you to show her the price.

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 21:42
She clicked on the e.mail invoice. we use the same comp!

Inquisitor Kallus
12-10-2009, 21:55
So what did you get? Any formations, big stuff, etc?

hendybadger
12-10-2009, 23:34
Both Titans, Scythed 'Dule and Malanthrope

havokas
13-10-2009, 01:13
blood angels are getting a new codex next year. i would have gone with them

Mannimarco
13-10-2009, 01:20
nids are getting a new codex pretty soon as well

hendybadger
13-10-2009, 12:30
In the end I ordered Nids. And Im starting to make a BA force unit by unit. Reday for both new books!