PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Thunderhawk Key?

Curis
12-10-2009, 15:48
I've recently had the insanely generous present of an original metal Thunderhawk Gunship complete and untouched in its original wooden box. It's a beautiful beast I've lusted after since I got White Dwarf 194.

But, sadly there was no key. I took it down to a locksmith to see see if they could reverse engineer it. No luck, but they were able to open the hinges on the back so I could get to it (and I was relieved to find it was a Thunderhawk inside and not just sawdust).

Anyway, they would be able to cut me another key if I presented them with one of an identical design. Does anyone here own a Thunderhawk, and still have the original key they'd be willing to lend me so I can get a duplicate cut?

Sleazy
12-10-2009, 15:52
wow what a fantastic prezzie. Sorry I cant help with the key but am insanely jealous. Are you going to try building it? apparently it is mental. I remember it even came with a warning.

grissom2006
12-10-2009, 15:53
Lost mine ages ago but i seem to recall it was a fairly standard one key fits all type. So maybe a call to GW may get a spare or put you intouch with a man who can help.

Warning for you now i found the kit a swine to put together make sure you have plenty of drill bits as the beast does need pinning heavily.

Curis
12-10-2009, 16:28
I've seen a few in the flesh and they do seem to simply fall apart under their own weight. I'm looking forward to assembling it very slowly with a lot of structural reinforcing and epoxies.

grissom2006
12-10-2009, 16:42
Pin it deeper than you normally would and invest in the hardest metal rods you can find as well with which to do the pinning.

rabblerouser
12-10-2009, 16:49
Did you get that on ebay? I think I was watching that auction.

Ph4lanx
12-10-2009, 17:05
Did you get that on ebay? I think I was watching that auction.

He said it was a present. Although someone may have got it for him :)

Curis
12-10-2009, 17:05
It was a birthday present from my partner last month - I wouldn't know. It came from America though as Customs and Excise insisted on a big chunk of cash to let it into the country. Gits.

shin'keiro
12-10-2009, 22:37
I've seen a few in the flesh and they do seem to simply fall apart under their own weight. I'm looking forward to assembling it very slowly with a lot of structural reinforcing and epoxies.

Why on earth are you going to build it?!!!:wtf:.. this thing is worth much more in the box untouched!

Mánagarmr
12-10-2009, 22:44
Why on earth are you going to build it?!!!:wtf:.. this thing is worth much more in the box untouched!

It seems in bad taste to sell a "gift" for profit..

puppetmaster24
12-10-2009, 22:44

that sentence made me so angry it is not even funny.

Fugazi
12-10-2009, 22:47
Life should be lived, not tallied.

(For crying out loud, it's a model.)

Sleazy
12-10-2009, 22:50
It was a birthday present from my partner last month - I wouldn't know. It came from America though as Customs and Excise insisted on a big chunk of cash to let it into the country. Gits.

They are odd arent they?. I have imported 2 titans with no probs.

sigur
12-10-2009, 22:56
Wow, this has to be the most awesome present. I didn't even know they were still being traded; the only time I saw one was at Warhammer World and it was impressive eventhough it was just the box and the single parts. It looks incredibly heavy and I second the suggestiopn about deep pinning and real metal rods instead of the usual pinnig stuff.

@shin'keiro: I beg to differ; it's worth Jack if it lies in the box unassembled and unpainted. Just like any other miniature or model kit.

TheBigBadWolf
12-10-2009, 22:59
From the look of the lock its just a simple key that any locksmith worth their salt could reproduce, maybe your better off taking it to a furniture/antique place that does keys for old cabinets and the like, they will definatley be able to help.

Curis
13-10-2009, 01:04
That's a great idea TheBigBadWolf, I'll lug it to one in town this weekend.

As for it being more unassembled - that's only because you're buying the thrill of assembling it yourself. It'll be months before I get to it, when I've cleared the decks of projects and have some serious hobby time to enjoy it with.

Sildani
13-10-2009, 01:17
Echo what others have said - find some steel rod to pin it all together. Especially the landing gear - it tends to bend under the weight. Still, there's something weirdly cool about seeing Marines in open gun turrets, and a nose that has more in common with a Mack truck than a flying machine. Congrats on having such an excellent friend. Mind you, you'll have to do something equally as cool in return!

Master Jeridian
13-10-2009, 01:49
Aye, they're reputed to sag under their own weight.

As others have said, pins and supports, but I'd also build a display base/storage that supports the undercarriage, so the landing struts aren't bearing the weight.

What colours are you painting it? DA?

Please tell me it's a display piece only, and that you haven't got back into 40k...

wilsongrahams
13-10-2009, 07:50
Hi, sorry, no help with the key either, but some advice on building the kit as I helped a friend build is (I'm a better modeller).

Use sheet plasticard inside with all the metal pinned together and then glued to it so the outer shell is not stressed. Use I-beam plasticard along the corners of this card to strengthen them, and also some diagonals across the void would help too.

As mentioned, pinning the legs is useful too, but I would reccomend drilling through most of the leg and inserting thick steel rod as the white metal is flexible with this weight on it - 6kg. I did the same for the engines and then poured resin inside them to have a solid core - extra weight, but then the engines do hold the wings and undercarriage and are made of a series of rings which will not hold weight evenly.

I would also highly recommend clearing the canopy and using clear plasticard for a replacement but that depends on if you want to make a cockpit and interior.

Curis
13-10-2009, 22:08
Well Si, yes and no. At the moment I've got this approach to 40K and Fantasy where I collect the models, and if I accidentally end up with an army so be it. As much as the rules pain me, I love collecting and painting the 28mm models.

It'll be done in Blood Angels colours. I started a collection, and even entered my Captain into Golden Demon (http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/2009/09/golden-demon.html).

Bloodriver
13-10-2009, 22:41
Looks like you have a very special model there. You're only going to get one chance to do it, and without being at all familiar with the kit, I would suggest assembling it by soldering it rather than glueing and pinning. A metal kit of that size needs all the strength it can get and the best way to achieve that is by soldering it. Congratulations, and good luck.

grissom2006
13-10-2009, 22:44
Chances are the model will be lead and soldering lead isn't that good.

TwoKingMick
13-10-2009, 23:14
Any chance of a photo of the beast?

grissom2006
13-10-2009, 23:16
this is the beast.

Grimbad
13-10-2009, 23:25
this is the beast.

That is a scratchbuild/conversion based on the beast and its epic version, built prior to the Forgeworld version of the beast.
Not to be confused with the beast itself. The builder's page...
http://www.ironhands.com/thawk.htm

The beast itself.
http://www.ironhands.com/thawkgw.jpg

Count de Monet
13-10-2009, 23:50
Keep it in pieces, and build a gaming table around it. "Battle in the Thunderhawk Forge".

rabblerouser
14-10-2009, 01:21
that sentence made me so angry it is not even funny.

Why? I wouldn't build it either. I have quite a few limited edition models still in packaging. They're collectors items so I enjoy them on a different level.

Frep
14-10-2009, 02:18
I think part of the anger is over the fact the model was a gift, trying to preserve the value of a gift by never opening it could be seen as quite rude. As it sends the message you intend to sell something given to you as a present, even if you never do or have not intention of it.

CraftworldsRus
14-10-2009, 02:37
Why? I wouldn't build it either. I have quite a few limited edition models still in packaging. They're collectors items so I enjoy them on a different level.

I feel the same way. I have Star Wars toys I have gotten as gifts that I keep in the box, although, I think that anyone giving Star Wars toys to a 22 year old assumes they are collected, not played with.

Geep
14-10-2009, 04:20
With the age of these models I'm sure it'd be made of lead, so I strongly suggest- Do not solder it.
I'd build supports for the wings and body when you have it on display, and make sure it's on a sturdy bookshelf/ cabinet.

trigger
14-10-2009, 04:26
Well Si, yes and no. At the moment I've got this approach to 40K and Fantasy where I collect the models, and if I accidentally end up with an army so be it. As much as the rules pain me, I love collecting and painting the 28mm models.

It'll be done in Blood Angels colours. I started a collection, and even entered my Captain into Golden Demon (http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/2009/09/golden-demon.html).

My god , that was you ??? i remember that being in WD ... well done dude ...wow .. blast from the past .
No help on the TH though ..sorry

ThePope
14-10-2009, 10:24
Mate's got one when they first came out, an utter beast of a kit that needs heavy pinning and he used araldite on it. He chaosafied his and it is still holding up well these many years down the line. Congratulations on your bit of 40k history.

ctsteel
14-10-2009, 11:16
The real challenge now is how you will give your partner a present of equivalent awesomeness for their next birthday.... :)

ThePope
14-10-2009, 11:27
The real challenge now is how you will give your partner a present of equivalent awesomeness for their next birthday.... :)

What you mean they aren't all ways happy with sexy underwear?!

DarthSte
14-10-2009, 12:39
The captain is brilliant! Nice to see Mike McVeys model and an interesting article too!

Master Jeridian
14-10-2009, 23:34
I here yah, I still have my 28mm 40k and Fantasy models purely for painting purposes (the backlog has a purpose, hurrah).

I still have the new metal Hive Tyrant and SM Drop Pod waiting to be painted, as I like both models.

I agree GW does really nice 28mm models.

It's hard for me to 'stumble' onto an army since I don't even know what things cost in the new Codex's.