PDA

View Full Version : I call upon the List-Daemons to help me build a 2000pts list step by step...

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 14:44
Hello! I'm an old Fantasy player who hasn't played for years and I want to get back to what I love. I've written out about 50 lists over the last few days and am really struggling.

First I'd like you to help me choose my Characters as I always like to base my armies on my characters. I already own a Slaanesh sorceress so I was thinking of having her in the list. I would also love a Nurgle Beast model in there too as I have a great idea for one.

I want my army to be undivided so here's my initial thoughts:

General
Doombull of Chaos Undivided:
Chaos Armour + Crown of Everlasting Conquest + Blade of Blood
275pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 1 - 2 Dispel Scrolls
135pts

Bray Shaman:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
135pts

Wargor of Nurgle:
Mark of Nurgle - Great Fang - Heavy Armour - Shield
156pts

All together this comes to 701pts which is a bit much if you ask me so how about I drop the Bray Shaman and make it 566?

Yak
19-01-2006, 15:11
The most obvious thing to be sure of is that you want to take a doombull as your general. It's a viable option, but only if you have enough Minotaurs to take advantage of the fact that they are now core choices. This is to offset the fact your herds and dogs lose the ambush ability.

If you're sure about that then have a look at your mages. Firstly the shaman could at the very least do with a bray staff, if not the staff of drakenhoff. Secondly, are you sure you wouldn't have 2 slaanesh spells as opposed to the lores aavaialbe to the shaman? I don't know about you, but I love the lore of Slaanesh.

I tihnk you need two mages (if you go with a melee lord) simply to generate dispel dice, as I imagine you aren't going for many khornate units given the character set up. Also bear in mind that if you keep the marks you have at the minute, you'll have to take at least 1 slaaneshi marked and one nurgle marked unit, heavily reducing your options.

NakedFisherman
19-01-2006, 15:13
Doombulls can only take magic weapons.

UrbanFarmer
19-01-2006, 18:35
Yea and trust me I play beastmen. Unless your going for a minotaur army a beastlord or great bray shamen is always a better choice. (The Doom-Bull can't take the damage and the whole extra attack is not worth sacarficing look out sir and beastmen ambush)

Your Mum Rang
19-01-2006, 19:57
Okay. I finally decided on what I want.

- A solid core of Chaos Warriors able too both take and dish out punishment.
- This accompanied by a fast, reactive element. (Spawns, Heroes and Mounted Daemonettes)
- Accompanied by a tough, hard-hitting counter-chargers (Ogres/Chariots)

So here are my final, Slaanesh dedicated heroes.... Characters V.3

General
Exalted Champion of Slaanesh:
Mark of Slaanesh - Steed of Slaanesh - Great Weapon - Shield - Bindings of Slaanesh
196pts
Runs around challenging whoever he wants and hopefully gaining lots of overkill

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Power Stone - Sceptre of Domination
190pts
Leads a unit of Chaos Warriors

Bray Shaman of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll - The Dark Heart
180pts
Rides in a Beastmen Chariot

Wargor of Slaanesh:
Great Fang - Heavy Armour
134pts
Rides in a Beastmen Chariot

700pts on the nose. Too many on Characters?

Trunks
20-01-2006, 04:18
Unfortunately, Beastman characters that have a mark other than undivided may not ride in chariots according to the rules of the book. Mortal Sorcerers can though.

Your Mum Rang
20-01-2006, 12:35
Beh thats okay then. More mortals it is!

General
Mark of Slaanesh - Steed of Slaanesh - Great Weapon - Shield - Bindings of Slaanesh
196pts
Runs around challenging whoever he wants and hopefully gaining lots of overkill

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Power Stone - Sceptre of Domination
190pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - 2 Dispel Scrolls
190pts

This comes to 576. Should I bulk the Exalted Champ up to a Lord or leave these as they stand?

PelsBoble
20-01-2006, 14:33
Well the main reason for having a Lord in a chaos army is imo if u need his LD 9. Since you are going to let him roam free i would not spend that extra points on him.

And i would actually try to split the SCrolls over the two sorces. Risky if he gets one luck cannon ball or some spell and both ur scrolls vanish :p

Your Mum Rang
20-01-2006, 21:32
Okay! On to my army... pls note I've dropped a sorceror to make room for more units....

NEW LIST FURTHER DOWN..

General
216pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - 2 Dispel Scroll
190pts

15 Chaos Warriors:
Additional Hand Weapons - Full Command
240pts

15 Chaos Warriors:
240pts

Chaos Chariot:
Mark of Slaanesh
130pts

5 Chaos Hounds:
30pts

5 Chaos Hounds:
30pts

12 Daemonettes:
180pts

12 Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

2 Fiends of Slaanesh:
150pts

Fiend of Slaanesh:
75pts

Skaven-win
21-01-2006, 00:37
I think your exhalted champ is 20pts under what it should, but I might be wrong. Go over the math again, just but your list onto armybuilder and the warriors also came out higher then what you have.

Not sure how people play around your area but,.

I'd be a little concered about magic. If you end up getting swamped by magic your cooked. It won't take much for your opponent to get ahead of you in the magic phase even with just 2mages. But I'm guessing thats what all the fast units are for, tie up the enemy till the tought guys get there.

Also those small units as quick as they are will be shot at alot. And due to the small unit sizes, they won't last too long. Try to increase unit size just a tad. Unit size 7 maybe.

Overall I like the looks of the army, but those 2 factors would/do cause a deal of concer. Trade out one unit to add numbers to a few units and maybe squez out another mage.

If you drop the unit of 12 daemonettes, then you can put 2 more to each unit of dogs, and put in another Lv2 mage of slaanesh.

but I'd rather drop 2 of the spwan but there good cause they so tough.

anyway. theres my 2cents. hope that helped.

Your Mum Rang
21-01-2006, 16:44
Okay, checked all my prices and came up with the following changes:

- Upped the price of the Exalted
- Added another Sorceror and shared scrolls between my 2
- Fixed the prices of the Warriors and dropped them to 12
- Added 2 x 16 Marauders with flails
- Dropped both units of Hounds
- Dropped the Chariot
- Dropped a unit of Daemonettes

216pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

12 Chaos Warriors:
234pts

12 Chaos Warriors:
234pts

16 Marauders:
Flails - Standard Bearer and Musician
111pts

16 Marauders:
111pts

12 Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

2 Fiends of Slaanesh:
150pts

Fiend of Slaanesh:
75pts

2005pts

Skaven-win
21-01-2006, 18:15
now that looks very sweet! should be able to handle most armies. Good amount of troops, some quick units and magic offence/defence to help those daemons out. Looks solid from here.

could save pts by dropping shield on lord, he won't be able to use it in combat if your using the great wpn.

I like.

Your Mum Rang
21-01-2006, 18:41
Meh the model has it so yeah.

I have a friend who may be selling me 2x16 Flail Marauders and 2x12 Dual Hand Weapon Warriors for really cheap! YAY! So hopefully I'll save over 60!

Also I have good ideas for the Spawns using the Inquisitor Simeon and Damien the Arco-Flaggelants:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/newimage.asp?Size=A&Img=212241

Skaven-win
21-01-2006, 19:22
you'll have to post pics of that, I gotta see.

Neknoh
21-01-2006, 19:56
What I advice you to do is to get 2 Marauder Sprews and 2 Warrior Sprews, this will upp each unit of Marauders to 20 and each unit of Warriors to 16, these are very solid numbers for those troops. To get enough point for the extra Marauders, remove the lone Fiend of Slaanesh, two is sufficient by far.

I also advice you to hide your Sorcerors in your Warrior units if you boost said units, this is because the Warriors include Champions whom can accept challenges from big nasties that were tooled to kill your Sorcerors.

Your Mum Rang
24-01-2006, 16:02
Hey again all. I am perfectly happy with this list but money is a bitch so I'm bidding on some stuff on Ebay which will hopefully save me money.

But what if I were to swap the Chaos Warriors for Knights and Marauders for Chariots and Marauder horsemen? This would make it a very very fast army.

Your Mum Rang
25-01-2006, 13:16
How about this? All I've done is removed the Daemonettes (don't relish painting them) and a spawn and adding in some Knights.

Now I have an even tougher fast elemnent (Exalted, Mounted Daemonettes x2, Knights and Fiends) to the army along with a good solid core (Marauders, Warriors and Sorcerors).

216pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

6 Chaos Knights:
Full Command
248pts

12 Chaos Warriors:
234pts

12 Chaos Warriors:
234pts

16 Marauders:
111pts

16 Marauders:
111pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

2 Fiends of Slaanesh:
150pts

2005pts

BETTER OR WORSE?!

Skaven-win
25-01-2006, 18:46
I'm leaning towards worse. Just for the lack of numbers. Off the start you're losing combat by four, uhnles you get in your opponents flanks.

But if you played it right it would still be a strong force.

But thats just me.

devolutionary
26-01-2006, 00:49
Take a unit of 16 Warriors and a 20-25 unit of Marauders. The Warriors are capable of herding and defending one flank on their own, while the marauders pack a very nice punch. Use the Knights with the Warriors in a flanking style, with the warriors forming a wall and the knights leaping out to charge. Marauders up the middle, it's sort of how I treat a denied falnk with armour in 40k, use the hard units to hold one side, the fast to pop out from behind, and the solid infantry core to charge up the middle and hit them hard.

Your Mum Rang
26-01-2006, 12:25
After reading people's replies on both Chaos Warriors and also MSU tactics and Flanking I have come up with this list. It has:

- A tough centre of with 2 large Marauder units each side.
- Small, flanking detatchments of Marauders for hopeful flank charges.
- A fast, reactive flanking force of Mounted Daemonettes and the Champion.
- Very hard-hitting unit of Chaos Knights to accompany the Daemonettes and Champion.
- Furies for war-machine and lone Mage hunting.
- 2 very tough, fast(er) and annoying Chaos Spawns for the flank charge or to tie up units.

216pts

Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

Sorceror of Slaanesh:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

6 Chaos Knights:
Full Command
248pts

22 Marauders:
Flails - Light Armour - Full Command
179pts

10 Marauders:
Flails
60pts

22 Marauders:
179pts

10 Marauders:
Flails
60pts

5 Marauder Horsemen:
Spears - Shields - Musician
86pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

9 Furies:
135pts

2 Fiends of Slaanesh:
150pts

2001pts

spawn
26-01-2006, 16:51
Hi There,

This looks like a very playable army. It has imho all the unit's (strength in numbers) it needs, has a reasonable magic defence (not that offensive though), nice and speedy and certainlty enough heavy hitters.
I would even recommend to switch at least one unit of 22 marauders to HW+LA+S instead of Flails. This will make them more difficult to break because they will have way better saves (4+ vs 6)in cc. You could also switch the spears on the horsemen to flails by taking out one magic level more, leaving you another 30 extra points to spend as you like (a few more marauders or that nice warbanner for the knights).

Anyway, I would not mind playing with it or playing against it. it looks like a fun list either way.

good luck

Your Mum Rang
27-01-2006, 19:55
Simpe question. I play on a 4x4 table. Is this list better or worse? than the last one? I have dropped a unit of Mtd Daemonettes if only to save myself money.

"Lord Jehnannum"
Mark of Slaanesh - Great Weapon - Enchanted Shield - Helm of Many Eyes
159pts

"Herem"
Sorceress of Slaanesh:
Mark of Slaanesh - Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll
165pts

"Moksha"
Sorceror of Chaos Undivided:
Lvl 2 - Dispel Scroll - Biting Blade
155pts

6 Chaos Knights:
Full Command
248pts

6 Chaos Knights:
Full Command
248pts

22 Marauders:
Shields - Light Armour - Full Command
179pts

10 Marauders:
Flails
60pts

22 Marauders:
179pts

10 Marauders:
Flails
60pts

5 Marauder Horsemen:
Spears - Shields - Musician
86pts

6 Mounted Daemonettes:
180pts

9 Furies:
135pts

"Flesharrower and Kinslaughterer"
2 Fiends of Slaanesh:
150pts

2004pts

Neknoh
27-01-2006, 20:22
This is a list I like, and I do strongly believe it would do good on a larger table where you can utilize your Mounted Daemonettes and Marauder Horsemen better.

However, drop the Shields and Spears on your Horsemen, Flails are far superior, there's even a guide (if yet small) on how to convert them into flail-wielders in the HoC book.

Just remember that your Exalted Champion still suffers from Stupidity, so, the helmet is actually best used on an Undivided character.

Your Mum Rang
27-01-2006, 20:44
Me and my pocket are very glad it's a better list. Also the guide looks quite useful.

And I could make my Slaanesh Sorceror the General and then make him undivided and make use of the 20pts to buy command for other units.

Neknoh
27-01-2006, 20:54
Actually, you couldn't do hat, as Sorcerors can NEVER be the army general (Exalted Sorcerors can, but not the Hero level ones).

And, you actually don't need to have a Slaaneshian general in order to have the Mark of Slaanesh on the majority of moddels, all that it takes is that you have at least one Slaanesh-marked unit if you have any Slaaneshian characters.

So, you can simply remove the Mark of Slaanesh from him without any problem, just remember that he can't join units with the Mark of Slaanesh or units including characters with the Mark of Slaanesh (for instance, he cannot join the Knights, nor can he join a unit of Marauders if a sorceror is in it too)

Your Mum Rang
28-01-2006, 19:17
Been putting some thought into the use of my Lord. If he is in a unit and I am taking stupidity tests then the opponent will try to avoid that unit.

So if I place the 2 large marauder units close enough only to fit a character or 2 in between them he can take his tests separately and join either one of the two. This keeps the enemy guessing and allows me to bolster whichever unit needs it most.

WHere should I put the sorcerors? In these units or nestled safely between the Marauder blocks and thei Marauder detatchments?

Nitron
28-01-2006, 23:07
That lists 4 pts over limit. And yes, it does matter.

Neknoh
29-01-2006, 08:27
Seeing as your sorcerors are using the Lore of Slaanesh, you can even put them behind the detatchments (though not reckomended), because of the fact that they only need Line of Sight with a single spell

Your Mum Rang
29-01-2006, 11:52
Playing at my local GW they say you can be over up to the cost of the cheapest model in the army. So I'll be okay as far as points go.

And I never noticed that about Slaanesh magic. It's great. I reckon the Sorcerors can go in between the detatchments and their parent units.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 17:44
Its not bad at all but why 2 units of ten marauders? will they be not shot to pieces?

Your Mum Rang
29-01-2006, 17:48
I'm aiming to use them in a similar way to Empire Detatchments. They hang around the flanks of the big blocks and will hopefully counter-charge any charges absorbed by the big marauder units.

Also with 2 units of Knights, Mtd Daemonettes, Furies and Marauder Horsemen harassing the enemy they will hopefully be overlooked. Also if the enemy decided to take one out and cause panic tests my general is central to my battle-line and so can support them with his Ld.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 18:30
Hey!!!!!!!!! That IS a pretty good strategy. but do you tjink that they will BE overlooked? I mean that if the enemy has leftover fire power but not enough to can your knights, then he might blast them.

Your Mum Rang
29-01-2006, 18:32
He can go for it. They only cost 60pts for the enitre unit.

Any shots not going at the fast elements is ok by me.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 18:36
True, i like this list. Go forth and crush in the name of chaos. Oh and imho 5 knights per unit are more than enough.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 18:37
oh, i almost forgot! Do you like tsugor chariots? have you thought of using them?

Your Mum Rang
29-01-2006, 19:17
Well, I have and my original list was undivided with Daemons, Beasts and Mortal but the list was just too cluttered and so I had to settle for a Slaanesh list.

TUskgor chariots are cheaper and more fun than mortal ones and do great charging a units flank.

ROCKY
29-01-2006, 19:47
Have you ever tried making a marader chariot out of a tsugor one? its darn good fun!

Your Mum Rang
05-02-2006, 12:08
Hmm that seems a good idea. Okay, reviewing my army.

Any advice on how to use it?

I have a slow and a fast part of the army. Do I send my fast elements on a mission to destroy the enemies flank?

Or do I take it slow and use the marauders to recieve charges and then the fast elements to react to any enemy movements.

Besically Aggressive or Reactive? Also do I have enough magic? I hear Slaanesh magic is great. Will I usually be able to get some spells off or should I swap the Exalted for another Sorceror making it 3xlvl2?

ROCKY
05-02-2006, 19:00
Nay, keep your exalted as you will need someone to hammer other offensive characters. as for the method of using the army, do both. start out reactive and then after a couple of turns if you see the enemy screwing up to what the orc man says "lets getum!". and dats da plan!