PDA

View Full Version : Gaming protocol

UrbanKnight
19-01-2006, 14:47
Well I am recently actually trying to play games, sucks because I dont really have a close circle of friends in the town I live in in Florida. There are a few places around to play at, I just have never done this before so Its not like I really know too many people to play, do you just show up with all your stuff at a place trying to find a pick-up game or what? I guess I'm just unfamiliar with how that all works.. Anyone want to help me out?

Xander-K
19-01-2006, 14:49
yea staff are usually chosen for their friendly outgoingness, so just walk in ask when they usually play games and bring your stuff in there, its usually quite informal.

UrbanKnight
19-01-2006, 14:51
ah no GW stores around here. just RT ones. is that any difference?

Xander-K
19-01-2006, 14:56
nah, most geeks are friendly :)

jfrazell
19-01-2006, 15:06
1. First check out the stores. Bring your stuff but just be friendly. if the place doesn't give you good vibes than try it once more but move on. A good store owner will say hello and mayhaps introduce you to other players there (or recommend a good time to game).

2. When there, just strike up some conversaiton with some players. note good paintjobs etc. That way you can kind of warm up to the people there. If some people look like they don't have a game then proffer what you play and ask if they are looking for a game.

3. If you're friendly and the crowd there is decent sportsmanship wise it should be easy to break in and potentially set up a further game in the future.

EVIL INC
19-01-2006, 16:59
Yes, good ideas so far. Try to only bring enough for a good game. If you show up with too much stuff, you can lose track of it and lose your stuff (not everyone is a thief but if your new, you wont know who to watch). Watch a few games, talk with the store owner and some of the players but dont offer too much advice (people get bad vibes from "the new guy" "tellin them what to do". Be sure to introduce yourself by name and its a good idea to just ask people what they think about such and such army, the game in general ect. Ask what any house rules are, what nights they play what games and find out if they have a notice board.

berzerka
19-01-2006, 17:54
I've had the same problem and still have actually. the closest store is 40 km away and I went there twice to play, but I dont like the vibe there so I have to try find some thing else to play.
It totally suck though when you spent a lot of money and time painting your entire army and you dont have many option to play.

but to answer your question. make yourself a 1500 points list and jusst go by and talk to the people their and some way the question pops up.

marv335
19-01-2006, 18:23
gaming protocol?
wash before visiting club/store.
seriously if more people did this gaming shops would be more pleasant places to visit.

also i'd have several army lists prepared.
for example
400pt combat patrol
750pt standard list (for 1500pt doubles games)
1000pt
1500pt
2000pt
just generic all comers ready made lists so that if someone offers you agame,you're ready to play. no fiddling with notepad and paper.

Ozendorph
19-01-2006, 18:38
Leave your army/books/etc out in the car initially. If the only guy looking to play is a jittery psychopath with an unidentifiable crust rimming his mouth and a Star Trek badge pinned to his chest, flee. If the store gives you a good vibe and you find a player to give you a match, go grab your gear.

bryankia
19-01-2006, 18:43
All of the above is good advice. If the store is a good store they will take good care of you. I know when we get a new player we roll out the red carpet and make sure they have a good time. If they are new to the game we make sure they play a very experience player who can help them and not just beat the bloody hell out of them.

The players there should be just as happy to have a new player as you are about finding a place to play.

Remembers the animals are just as afraid of you are as you are of them :)

Bryan

Quin 242
19-01-2006, 18:50
Well I am recently actually trying to play games, sucks because I dont really have a close circle of friends in the town I live in in Florida. There are a few places around to play at, I just have never done this before so Its not like I really know too many people to play, do you just show up with all your stuff at a place trying to find a pick-up game or what? I guess I'm just unfamiliar with how that all works.. Anyone want to help me out?

Come out to Goblin Shoppe in Tampa this Sat from 10AM -8PM..

I know it's a bit of a drive but if you play GW games there are guys that drive out from there every other weekend. This Sat is a 40K tourny and it's free to enter.

Go to www.goblinshoppe.com to sign up and get the particulars.

They have a stack of good guys to play against, and as I said, there is a core group of like 4 guys that drives out on the weekends from there so you could get hooked up with them if you play nice :)

If you contact the Store owner (Charles) he might get you in touch with the players from there for a lift if you don't have a car...

Like I said.. it's a good group that play there.

Quin 242
19-01-2006, 18:53
gaming protocol?
wash before visiting club/store.
seriously if more people did this gaming shops would be more pleasant places to visit.

also i'd have several army lists prepared.
for example
400pt combat patrol
750pt standard list (for 1500pt doubles games)
1000pt
1500pt
2000pt
just generic all comers ready made lists so that if someone offers you agame,you're ready to play. no fiddling with notepad and paper.

The first bit is probably the best advice EVER. I can't stand to play the smelly gamer and for some darn reason.. that's a great number of them. I have a table at my house but I can really only cope with a few guys being over at my place. I'd have more games if my nose didn't work so well.

I got some glares the last time I went to a tourney and put a spray can of deodorant on the table next to my dice bag.. but I encouraged ANYone who wanted it to use it :)

UrbanKnight
19-01-2006, 18:58
Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. Tampa is a bit of a huff for me with a 60+ hour work week but I might be able to get out there. Thanks for the help folks

kermit
19-01-2006, 19:00
When I moved up here, I didn't know anyone... not one... I just knew where the Rogue Trader was. All I did was walk in, hang out in the GW section and wait until the staff talked to me. Most people who are into this kind of stuff will break the ice for you. I know I do to people hanging out in the GW section of my local. (Well I also run the league so more people showing up is only good!) By doing this you will get to know how many people generally come out to play, what nights/days they get together on... what armies you might be facing.

Like most people have said, gamers are gamers... they want to play and the best way to get to know them is to play them. You will quickly learn who are the jerks and who are the nice people. Try to play with the nice people until you know how to deal with the jerks.

One other thing I learned too... don't bring your A game... really don't. If you are new, locals are usually (that is what I found) very not happy losing against the new person. I made enemies with one kid because I came in and won best painted and continued to win best painted and he had been the one winning for the last year at every tournament... now he never plays... for "money" reasons...

There is no protocol... just go, get to know the staff and everything will be easy from there. Go have fun!