PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike

Hero adamite
13-10-2009, 00:56
There is a Planetstrike Mega battles at my local GW store coming up. I don't have the Planetstrike rulebook and i don't know much about it. I was wondering how different is it to a regular 40k game. Would I be able to participate without the rulebook and not knowing the planetstrike rules?

Imperius
13-10-2009, 01:09
Its not too much different, but the big planestrike events held at stores usually suck because of disputes over strategy points and terrain set-up.

Mannimarco
13-10-2009, 01:18
indeed the stores do try to maintain some order but it quicky boils down to everybody just shouting over each other (and if its anything like story apocalypse) lots of little mini games going on rather than one big game with everybody just ignoring the guy next to them and doing there own thing (or using sombody elses models)

once i lost 2 squads of plague marines, didnt have a clue what had happened to them until i was told another player moved them off to help him and promptly got them killed, yeah thanks for comandeering my troops without telling me then running them in front of a baneblade squadron

Hero adamite
13-10-2009, 01:23
indeed the stores do try to maintain some order but it quicky boils down to everybody just shouting over each other (and if its anything like story apocalypse) lots of little mini games going on rather than one big game woth everybody just ignoring the guy next to them and doing there own thing (or using sombody elses models)

once i lost 2 squads of plague marines, didnt have a clue what had happened to them until i was told another player moved them off to help him and promptly got them killed, yeah thanks for comandeering my troops without telling me then running them in front of a baneblade squadron

Haha :P Don't really like the idea of people using eachother's models kinda, unless they do some good but if someone did something similiar like what you said (running them infront of a Baneblade squadron and getting them blown to bits) i would turn my bolter fire on them :p

Zingbaby
13-10-2009, 01:36
I love Planetstrike, but so far every mega-battle version of PS I've tried has basically sucked.

That said, being a mega-battle you will likely have a teammate correct? - he can select all of the strategems and let you know of the minor differences in deployment, and terrain and what not... All you need to do is build a proper 'attacker' and/or 'defender' list, which will either require guidance from your teammate or getting the book, as the force-org chart is slightly different for each.

Col. Tartleton
13-10-2009, 01:45
I think these things must be planned with the detail of operation overlord. You need a plot, plans of attack, coordinated armylists, painted models, aids, supply lines, and most importantly opponents and allies willing to do the same.

Imperius
13-10-2009, 02:23
aids

A.I.D.S.?

If your looking for a fun warhammer game (the key word is fun...) it boils down to aving a 1v1 or 2v2 in a comfotable setting.

anything larger and it becomes arguements and confusion.

If your not comfortable where you are (and by this I don't mean a poofy chair) you generally don't have as much fun.
I for one feel very out of place playing at the store with little kids screaming, literally screaming, during what was hopefully going to be an intelligent game.
Now the only games I play are at my house, with friends I know.

A1TEC
13-10-2009, 08:54
It is pretty much the same just different objectives

eyescrossed
13-10-2009, 09:31
And different FOCs.

Hero adamite
14-10-2009, 02:05
And different FOCs.

Sorry, What are FOC's?

Mannimarco
14-10-2009, 02:12
force organisation charts

that thing with hq, elite, fast attack, troops and heavy support on it is your FOC

IIRC the attacker foc has more elites on it and the defender has more heavy support slots, attacker also has 3 hqs

eyescrossed
14-10-2009, 02:12
Sorry, What are FOC's?

Force Organisation Charts.

The attacker gets 6 Elite and 6 Fast Attack slots, and doesn't have to take any Troops if they don't want to.

Defenders get 6 Heavy Support slots.

Both armies can have 3 HQs.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

jams86
14-10-2009, 14:32
planetstrike is the perfect game to get that artillery gunline out on the table all at once and start bringing the thunder :D