PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard and Racial differences.

Tokugawa100
13-10-2009, 08:13
In the IG codex it saids that there are so many Imperial Worlds with incredibly varied cultures from highly sophisticated biggots, techno barbarians, cannibals, tribal people, rough riders and people like us.

How come we dont see much of these Racial differences in the army, I would love to see the Imperial Guard sprue vastly upgraded in varied components to give you some possibly incredibly alien looking humans who speak different languages and have different habits rather then everyone is a guard.

Whats your thoughts?

Grimbad
13-10-2009, 08:22
I have both Mordians and Vostroyans in my Guard army.
Either the Mordians are short by nature, or the vostroyans are abnormally large, but they do not look like they come from the same part of the galaxy.
Cadians are somewhere in between, and while only a little taller than a mordian they are much bulkier.

There will be no techno-barbarians or tribespeople, with doctrines gone. The biggest differences you might find in the Guard are like between the Tallarn and the Vostroyans. The Tallarn are rag-tag, with a barely uniform appearance and wherever they go they carry desert gear with them. They're also the size of the other old metal Guard- small by modern standards. The Vostroyans, while still not quite uniform, have a consistent level of ornate, high-tech stuff, and are clearly well-equipped nobles rather than rugged conscripts. They tower over all other Guard infantry.
The variety is there, though it isn't in equipment (we don't even have any autogun carrying regiments...) but instead in the look and feel of the models.

MagosHereticus
13-10-2009, 09:14
basically its licence to make what ever regiment you like themed around any culture you like from any time period in human history, quite a popular theme are regiments from the matriarchal society mentioned in the first guardsmen codex (which i sadly cannot locate even with bit torrent)

however the weapons and ammunition is apparently ruthlessly standardised by the department munitorium, so that supplying each regiment is less of a head ache (thats why everyone carries a lasgun) however autoguns are identical rules wise so there is nothing stopping you doing that substitution

The Anarchist
13-10-2009, 17:02
half of the racial issues you cna show by the way you put your models together and paint them. however looking at the actual models if you put them next to each other you will see there is a suppriseing amount of differnce between them, as mentioned above matters oif height, size and bulk are all showen in the model.
what exactly are you asking for when you ask for differnt racial gaurd units?

Threeshades
13-10-2009, 17:09
In the IG codex it saids that there are so many Imperial Worlds with incredibly varied cultures from highly sophisticated biggots, techno barbarians, cannibals, tribal people, rough riders and people like us.

How come we dont see much of these Racial differences in the army, I would love to see the Imperial Guard sprue vastly upgraded in varied components to give you some possibly incredibly alien looking humans who speak different languages and have different habits rather then everyone is a guard.

Whats your thoughts?

Of course there won't be any such thing in the "Sprues" the sprues are just Cadian and Catachan at the moment.
The different cultures and ethnicities are not present in a single regiment as much as they are in two entirely different Regiments, say for example Tallarn and Valhalla. Now there is where the difference comes in. The Tallarn will ALL be tribal desert folk while the Valhallans are ALL people living in arctic circumstances.
The technobarbarians (see here for a picture (http://www.fukhouse.ca/Tflyer.jpg)) will have a regiment of their own. If you want some, get some Chaos Barbarian sprues and mix them with catachans, should work well.

Marshal2Crusaders
13-10-2009, 18:11
Was I mistaken or did you ask how to represent the speaking of different languages and have real habits from a sprue? ;P

While GW lacks alot of racial diversity in their Showcase armies, a player is free to do as he pleases. My Templars have all manner of skin tones (I say tones because its hard to accurately represent racial differences in paint). If you want an army of blue tinted Hive Dwellers, go for it!

madd0ct0r
13-10-2009, 22:06
Well Humans do have a varying scale:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/4009070453_c9283332ec.jpg

and that's under the same growing conditions.

Still, I can't see it ever being worth GW's while to produce a sprue of esentialy mismatched parts.

madprophet
14-10-2009, 02:10
A lot of what you do with paint and conversions will tell the story of your army - my Valhallans are all painted in Caucasian skin tones because they are supposed to be Space Russians - if I played Catachans or Cadians I would probably paint them differently depending on what fluff I decided on for my armies.

You can also do a lot with tactical markings. My army used Hebrew characters and Israeli tactical markings on their vehicles (you see in my neck of the woods, there is a lot of cross-membership between the Russian and Jewish communities and well, if you really want to know more check out my website - link is in the sig)

Threeshades
14-10-2009, 02:23
Well Humans do have a varying scale:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/4009070453_c9283332ec.jpg

and that's under the same growing conditions.

Still, I can't see it ever being worth GW's while to produce a sprue of esentialy mismatched parts.

Cant you see the biggest one of them is obviously an autobot! Those are bigger than humans of course!

Captain Corallis
14-10-2009, 16:33
Black and white tend to band together to take out green.
(cookie to the quote finder:angel:)
I don't see any problem with this but as they are mostly grossly oversized (Catatchans) or covered up with cloth and armour (Cadians) its mostly just a matter of how you paint them. My guard army has a fair bit of difference in the skin colours although that might be down to my poor skill not my design...

madd0ct0r
14-10-2009, 17:54
It's a misquote of Terry Pratchett, one of the earlier Discworld Novels.

The problem I have with the current two sprues is that they're too distinctive - a Catachan in any other colour is still a beefy Catachan.

I don't really see how else it could be done, short of a sprue of mixed uniform torsos and GW let players sort and swap to build coherent units.

Hmmm. Actually, this could be an army 'themed' on ragtag remmenants, with an expensive option being to utilise only one of the types of uniform present.

I don't know if this would be a more effecient way of doing it then the metal models though.

MontytheMighty
14-10-2009, 18:08
yeah, humans tend all to be "european looking" in 40k art, but that's understandable because GW is a european company with a primarily european/north american market

you can always paint your guard to look different, that said it seems the Space Marines have a bit more diversity, with black skinned, red-eyed Salamanders and mongol/east asian looking White Scars

Col. Tartleton
14-10-2009, 19:04
Cadians are big because they're bred for war. Given enough time and resources they're what the Nazi's would have looked like. Well over six feet in height, blond, blue (even purple) eyes, tanned from the sun, fed protein shakes and creatine their whole lives, trained to spartan levels of discipline and have the lone disability of only understanding war. If you ask a cadian to pass a spoon he'll ask if you mean his LNRT-II (Liquid Nutrient Ration Tool Mark 2) ;).

Mordians on the other hand are hivers and they're short in stature fed less and generally not the same stock. They're probably pale, lean, dark eyed and dark haired, constantly scowling, and a bit less gung ho then the cadians. The Valhallans and Armageddians would be in this category.

Catachans are muscular gun fanatics with more hispanic features and skin tones, (I'd imagine) southern accents, and a fetish for killing.

You can do what you want.

There are differences in the range.

Crazy Ivan
14-10-2009, 20:49
Although I'm under the impression that the OP wasn't necessarily talking about skin tones here, I'd like to point out that the Catachans and Cadians, at least, are not all depicted as white-skinned. Unlike the studio armies, some of the artwork shows dark-skinned Guardsmen. Take a look at the current Catachan Battleforce box (or Codex: Catachans, as it's the same picture) for a Catachan example, and at the old Codex: Cityfight for a Cadian example.

That said, though the metal, plastic, and resin ranges do offer some vastly different Guard armies from very different planets and cultures, there's still a lot missing, like feral and Feudal World Guard armies, etc. But you can always create those for yourself, or take a look at one of the Black Library books which feature some very distinctly non-"European/North American" armies, like in for example some of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels and Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou (though I'm sure there are more).