PDA

View Full Version : Helmet colours?

BaronDG
13-10-2009, 11:49
I'm painting captain Sicarius for a friend. He's holding his helmet in the left hand. What colour should it be? He's not a sergeant, not even a veteran. Any ideas?

grissom2006
13-10-2009, 12:10
Blue like any other Captains Helmet in the Ultramarines.

Onisuzume
13-10-2009, 12:20
Chapter-Colour Helmet with a vertical Thin Black Line-Thin White Line-Thick Red Line-Thin White Line-Thin Black Line:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Bob_Hunk/Miniatures%20-%20Crimson%20Fists/CrimsonFists01c.jpg

wilsongrahams
13-10-2009, 12:20
or even gold if he wants to be fancy.

pookie
13-10-2009, 14:48
Captains can be painted anyway they want ( hence why Dante/Tycho ware Gold) and dont have to stick to the Codex.

but as for your actual question, Blue, as per his painting article in WD.

Leftenant Gashrog
13-10-2009, 16:58
Chapter-Colour Helmet with a vertical Thin Black Line-Thin White Line-Thick Red Line-Thin White Line-Thin Black Line:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/Bob_Hunk/Miniatures%20-%20Crimson%20Fists/CrimsonFists01c.jpg

That is seriously outdated, however the concept sketches in WD346 actually show that the current white & red helmets for veterans & sergeants was meant to be accompanied by plain black for captains, although for some reason this was ditched in favour of the standard chapter colours, but I personally plan on using black for any (non-black) codex captain I do from now on.

Threeshades
13-10-2009, 17:02

It says Crimson Fists there. I don't think the fists and the Ultramehreens have the same markings, even if this still was up to date.

Leftenant Gashrog
13-10-2009, 17:09
I don't think the fists and the Ultramehreens have the same markings, even if this still was up to date.

They don't now but they did at the time that was published.

Deus Ruinus
13-10-2009, 17:47
i think it should stay blue, as it has some small gold decorations on it anyways :P

Inquisitor Engel
13-10-2009, 18:33
Captains seem to have their helmets painted the same was as line-troops in almost everything - perhaps to build morale with the less-veteran members of their company?

sycopat
13-10-2009, 19:01
Or perhaps so that enemy snipers are less able to pick out the actual captain...

It makes sense!

"I see a squad of specially coloured ones over there, which one do I hit? Him with the standard? nah, thats a grunt job. Him with the big fancy sword? Nah, he's probably just a bodyguard. Him in the snazzy white armour? Bingo!"

BANG!

The Apothacary dies

wilsongrahams
13-10-2009, 19:09
Or perhaps so that enemy snipers are less able to pick out the actual captain...

It makes sense!

"I see a squad of specially coloured ones over there, which one do I hit? Him with the standard? nah, thats a grunt job. Him with the big fancy sword? Nah, he's probably just a bodyguard. Him in the snazzy white armour? Bingo!"

BANG!

The Apothacary dies

That's just mean.

Funny.

But mean.

Vaulkhar
13-10-2009, 22:05
Funny, mean and a display of survival instincts completely at odds with the Codex. Take three Death Oaths as penance and explain to the Apothecarion why you're not returning geneseed.

As to the OP: most of the pictures I've seen have smurf captains wearing blue helmets. Captains who had served in the 1st Company could also arguably wear white helmets.

wilsongrahams
14-10-2009, 07:25
I thought all captains would have served in the first company before promotion?

destroyerlord
14-10-2009, 07:41
I imagine having served in the 1st and currently serving in the first are two different things.
So the current captain of the first company would paint his helmet white, but others would probably follow the colour scheme of the company they are attached to.

Dhazzakull
14-10-2009, 08:00
i would make it blue, if you really want to make out his veteran status, give him a white line or paint his crest white

pookie
14-10-2009, 09:59
does it matter we all really know bad ass marines dont ware a silly Helmet!

superdupermatt
15-10-2009, 22:03

It makes sense!

BANG!

The Apothacary dies

Either that or "Hmm, that one over there is bald, shouty AND pointy. Bargain"

eltanko
16-10-2009, 12:03
Blue, but you could always add some icons/writing etc to make him stand out a little.

ElTanko

Onisuzume
17-10-2009, 12:35
They don't now but they did at the time that was published.
Exactly.
Besides, the article was about markings in general, why else would there be an Iron Hands, a Rainbow Warrior, and a Silver Skulls marine in the background?

AndrewGPaul
17-10-2009, 12:54
That two-page spread has a Dark Angel, a Flesh Eater, a Flesh Tearer, a Space Wolf, an Ultramarine, a Whitescar, a Blood Angel, a Blood Drinker, a Crimson Fist, an Iron Hand, a Rainbow Warrior and a Silver Skull. For what it's worth, the Ultramarines, Flesh Eaters and Iron Hands use white helmet stripes, the Flesh Tearers, Space Wolves and Blood Drinkers use yellow and the Silver skulls and Blood Angels use black stripes, so adjust those rank stripes as appropriate. The Rainbow Warriors, as befits their name use a white central stripe with a rainbow fading from red out to violet on each side.