PDA

View Full Version : New Beasts of Chaos player with some questions

clearasil
13-10-2009, 14:19
Hi,

Just thought I'd get into the Fantasy side of Warhammer, now that my Orks are up and running. I chose Beasts of Chaos. I like their looks and their style of play. I've always had a bit of chaotic mis-chief in me, too ;) One more thing was the fact that they're one of the worse armies in Warhammer. It sounds silly, but now I don't have to think about 'is this army too cheese now with this unit/item', like most people have to do with ie. Delves and Daemons. I'ts a bonus in a friendly enviroment.

Ok so, I'd like some answers for the following questions:

1. I definitely want my army to be lead by a Wargor. What would be the best configuration for him in lower point battles? Just a plain Great weapon, or maybe Chaos armour, shield and Sword of ***? The points are between 500 and 1000.

2. Magic defense. Is a single scroll caddie enough in 1000 points? Or do I need more than that to protect myself from magic?

3. Chaos Ogres. I really want to use a unit of Ogres, and as I'm planning on going for a Nurgle theme, I can convert them alot, yay (Plastic Ogre Kingdoms box)! What would be the best way to equip these? I thought of Great weapons.

4. The Chaos Spawn. The kit is so damn fun! Is it just useless? I'd put a mark of Nurgle on hi... it. How should I use the thing?

That's about it I guess. Oh, one more thing; I thought I'd have a Wargor, 1-2 Shamans, 2 Beast Herds, 3-4 Chaos Ogres and a Spawn. Would this list fare well in a very diverse, friendly enviroment?

Thanks!

P.S. Other general tips on collecting BoC are very welcome!

Rogue
13-10-2009, 14:48
In the span of 4 months the new book will be out so I would hold off on getting any special and rare units. I have not seen anything confirming that the beasts will still have chaos ogres and spawn in their army list. I think that you would be safe on your character and beastheard choices to get a head start, but I could be wrong.

sulla
13-10-2009, 19:21
1. I definitely want my army to be lead by a Wargor. What would be the best configuration for him in lower point battles? Just a plain Great weapon, or maybe Chaos armour, shield and Sword of ***? The points are between 500 and 1000.For small games, a wargor is probably the best option. That may change when we get a new book (hopefully next year.) Slaughterer's blade, mark of nurgle is a good combo too.

2. Magic defense. Is a single scroll caddie enough in 1000 points? Or do I need more than that to protect myself from magic?If you can squeeze a slaanesh chariot into your list (e.g. if you have an undivided general, not a nurgle one.), that allows slaaneshi mages, who have one of the most powerful lores in the game (3 movement/movement restriction spells make it very powerful). If not, magic defense depends on your gaming buddies. Start small and only go as big as you need, otherwise you can start a magic arms race.

3. Chaos Ogres. I really want to use a unit of Ogres, and as I'm planning on going for a Nurgle theme, I can convert them alot, yay (Plastic Ogre Kingdoms box)! What would be the best way to equip these? I thought of Great weapons.For nurgle, minotaurs are much better in game terms, just not in model terms.

4. The Chaos Spawn. The kit is so damn fun! Is it just useless? I'd put a mark of Nurgle on hi... it. How should I use the thing?They are a bit outclassed by many of the units you will face on the tabletop. They were supposed to be speedbumps to hold enemies up but it's rare that they last more than a single combat round these days. If you like them, get one though; they are very cheap in terms of points and good looking in temrs of the model. (I have about 12 at home even though I can only use them with Morghur).

That's about it I guess. Oh, one more thing; I thought I'd have a Wargor, 1-2 Shamans, 2 Beast Herds, 3-4 Chaos Ogres and a Spawn. Would this list fare well in a very diverse, friendly enviroment?

It's a good starter list. Make sure the ogres have great weapons. You will need some high strength to crack armour. As you get more points,get chariots for ranged strike power, consider dogs or small beastherds (5+5) to 'redirect' enemy charges (an advanced tactic, you'll learn about it as you play), possibly a giant or some other big monster to showcase your painting talents. For now, stay away from bestigors. They are a poor unit; expensive, and can't take a charge. Hopefully they will get better in the next edition of the rules.

Midevil216
13-10-2009, 19:30
I would hold off getting anything for that army until the new book comes out, I think it might be after Skaven.
Anyway, you could probably get the beast herds and wargors but most of it I bet gets, either new minies, removed from the book and replaced with something else,which would mean MORE new minis :), or removed from the book all together.

I am thinking Centigors might be safe to get now too, but who knows.

Midevil216
13-10-2009, 19:32
Lets face it, that army is uppercase F*&%*D right now and I think there might be a pretty big overhaul to it, but thats just my opinion.

clearasil
13-10-2009, 19:44
Well, guess I'm gonna paint my Ork army up all the way, and if more rumours of the Beasts of Chaos have arrived around Christmas or so, I'll decide wether to start ahead or wait for the new armybook. I think I'm gonna go after the latter, though

mrtn
13-10-2009, 22:08
I wouldn't buy more than a beastherd or two, and a wargor with great weapon.

For more beastmen goodness, check out The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx).

sulla
13-10-2009, 22:20
I wouldn't buy more than a beastherd or two, and a wargor with great weapon.

For more beastmen goodness, check out The Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx).Well, herds are safe, spawn models won't change, dogs, giants won't change, the wargor models are nice enough to keep no matter what models they get next edition, same with the chariots, and the OP did say he was going to convert ogres... conversions will still be good in any edition.

Totally agree about herdstone, might see you there Clearasil.

Lets face it, that army is uppercase F*&%*D right now and I think there might be a pretty big overhaul to it, but thats just my opinion.It struggles, but it is still a fun army unless your opponent brings too much psychology (2 * hellcannon plus doom totem... :wtf:). I'm sure they will get a big overhau;l, but it won't hurt to get the core of the army built, painted and get some practice with it now in prep for the 7th ed book.

clearasil
14-10-2009, 07:00
Guess I can start with a Wargor, 2 Herds and the Ogres without shooting myself in the leg then? I'm just so tempted to start another project. When exactly will they get an overhaul? I heard Tyranids are first in line?

Harwammer
14-10-2009, 07:12
Its probably worth getting some hounds.

If ogres get dropped from the BoC list I wouldn't worry; your intended conversion sounds like it will make a fine minotaur proxy!

Zilverug
14-10-2009, 09:09
Or you can still hire your ogres as mercenaries from the Ogre Kingdoms...

Minotaurs are also certainly a unit that will stay. If you can get (relatively) cheap second hand ones you like it probably wouldn't set you back more than buying new plastic ones in the future.

mrtn
14-10-2009, 13:35
Ral Partha have a mino that costs 1.50, and two that cost 2.50. They're not awesome, but they're certainly not worse than GWs minos (IMNSHO), and if you're paying 1/8 of the price you should smile all the way to the bank...

lcfr
14-10-2009, 15:47
1. I definitely want my army to be lead by a Wargor. What would be the best configuration for him in lower point battles? Just a plain Great weapon, or maybe Chaos armour, shield and Sword of ***? The points are between 500 and 1000.

Run him as cheap as you can unless he has the MoT (in which case you may consider powerstones or other arcane items) or you need a boost in your ambushing skills. No other magic item is really worthwhile for a wargor, and so it's best imo to run them as cheap as possible.

2. Magic defense. Is a single scroll caddie enough in 1000 points? Or do I need more than that to protect myself from magic?

Yeah, a single scroll caddie at 1k should be more than enough (unless, of course, the players you regularly face off against sink half their points into magic even at such a low level). That, or run your wargor and maybe your minos w/MoK.

3. Chaos Ogres. I really want to use a unit of Ogres, and as I'm planning on going for a Nurgle theme, I can convert them alot, yay (Plastic Ogre Kingdoms box)! What would be the best way to equip these? I thought of Great weapons.

There is really no good reason I can think of to run Ogres in a BoC army. Not only does it feel unlikely that they will make the cut in the next armybook, for 5pts more you can run much better and much more characterful minotaurs. I've converted some plastic bulls and ironguts into nurgle 'minotaurs' using lots of greenstuff and replacing their heads, as often as I can, with plastic boar heads. Take advantage of the plastic models but apply some converting skills and run them as minos instead (yes, great weapons is the way to go)

4. The Chaos Spawn. The kit is so damn fun! Is it just useless? I'd put a mark of Nurgle on hi... it. How should I use the thing?

I've had a lot of back luck with my spawns and so quit fielding them awhile ago. Others will swear by them, though....imo MoS is the best thing you can give to one; it can keep up with your army and is a bit more of a wild card in your enemy's eyes.

billytheid
22-10-2009, 01:59
Firstly, BoC are not crap. Anyone who says this is either seriously underestimating them or just doesn't know how to play with them. This is not intended as an attack, it's just that BoC tactics are pretty unique in Warhammer Fantasy.

I'd ditch the Ogres, they are just not worth it. Get some Hounds and use your Ambush as much as you possibly can, Ambush is your greatest weapon. Seeing as Hounds can ambush, if you field two units of 5 both of your Beastherds can ambush. Bestigors are also not that useless, but it all depends on how you manage your Beastherds and warhounds. Screening is a pretty good option with Bestigors. Again, you have to remember that your key assaults are NOT coming from your deployment zone.

If you can get your hands on some Dragon Ogres you really want them, can take a beating and if they get to the enemy at the same time as your ambush chaos is assured.
Chariot spam is overrated, I wouldn't use it. As I've said before, the best tactics for BoC is misdirection and ambiguity. Ideally you don't want your opponent to have an inkling of your battle plan until you trigger your ambush.
You may want to consider a BSB as well, that Preyseeker banner in a beastherd can decide a battle.
Chaos Armor goes to only one character in BoC I believe(can't remember if that is an old house rule that I use out of habit?) and that being the case you really want to give it to a Shaman. Combined with a Braystaff the shaman actually becomes pretty hardcore for a mage.
Also, give serious consideration to the mark of Tzeentch on a wargor for your magic. Costs a lot of points but some of those spells are just wonderful in combat.