PDA

View Full Version : High Vs Wood[2000 no lords] quick replies please :)

jigplums
19-01-2006, 17:05
Commander - 178
- Bow of Loren, enchanted shield
-Great Weapon, Heavy Armour,
-Eagle

Mage - 197pts
-Seer, dispell scroll
-Level 2 Wizard
- Elven steed with Ithilmar barding

Mage - 197pts
-Annulain crystal, Silver wand
-Level 2 Wizard

Commander - 120pts
-Longbow, Shield, Heavy Armour, Halberd
-Sacred insense,
-Pure of heart

5 Silver Helms - 115pts
5 Silver Helms - 115pts
5 Silver Helms - 115pts

12 Archers Musician -150
12 Archers Musician -150

15 Shadow warriors 225
5 Shadow warriors 75
5 Shadow warriors 75
5 shadow warriors 75

Repeater Bolt Thrower 100pts

TheDrugLordX
19-01-2006, 18:21
Firstly, just want to say that this army has a lot of copy-pasting:p You could try to vary the army list a little more;)

Commander - 178
-Eagle
I like it.

Mage - 197pts
-Seer, dispell scroll
-Level 2 Wizard
What will he be joining?! You should get a unit of ellyrian reavers to him, or drop the steed. Alone he's kinda voulnerable on steed. Also, I would go with the channeler or jewel of the dusk on this mage instead of the scroll for more magic offense.

Mage - 197pts
-Annulain crystal, Silver wand
-Level 2 Wizard
Not my favorite, but it works, I guess...

Commander - 120pts
-Longbow, Shield, Heavy Armour, Halberd
-Sacred insense,
-Pure of heart
Are you allowed to use haleberd on steed? I'm not sure, even if you are, I would prefer giving him a lance. Also, Sacred Insense, IMO, isn't of much use. I would drop it.

5 Silver Helms - 115pts
5 Silver Helms - 115pts
5 Silver Helms - 115pts
OK. Though, you could use a standard bearer or two in there for combat res.

12 Archers Musician -150
12 Archers Musician -150
OK.

15 Shadow warriors 225
5 Shadow warriors 75
5 Shadow warriors 75
5 shadow warriors 75
OMG booring. What's the point of having so many shadow warriors? They excel at march blockong + handling warmachines/magehunting. But they can't do **** vs infantry & heavy cav (kinda bad vs fast cav too). Drop atleast 2 units and get something that can punch, like chariots or dragon princes. They might do OK vs wood elves, but they are so vulnerable to enemy fire that they will easily go down against his concentrated fire.

OK.

Good Luck! Seems like an OK overal list (considering that you will change the shadow warriors...). I would go for more magic power (considering as wood elves suck at magic).

(EDIT: Just noticed that it was vs Wood Elves :p)

jigplums
19-01-2006, 23:33
Thanks for the comments.

The commander with insense is not on steed :) hence halberd, the idea for him is to join the large unit of shadow warriors, giving -2 to all shots against the unit. Possibly not worth it though as i could just add 9 more shadow warriors for the price. Pure of heart helps though as well.

The main reason for the extra shadow warriors[usually i'd had 1 large and 1 small unit probably] was for protection for my mages and repeater boltthrowers. He like to have a sniping waywatcher hero+ pageant of shrikes? to take them out, and the scouts allow me to combat this slightly.

I do agree though they could do with a bit more variety, i'm quite constrained atm because of models.

Annulyian crystal seems like a great buy to me. saying that an average dice for is 3.5. I'm giving myself a 7 point advantage in every single one of my opp's magic phases[while he lives] With silver wand i will hopefully get some decent spells for him, whilst my seer can choose whatever nastiness i'm needing most.

Do you not find you need at least 1 dispell scroll? just in case.
I would possibly like more magic but have found in the case my magic to be very overkill. With all 5 games i've played with he being absolute massacre's so far, mainly due to the magic. It will become a very boring game if i go too magic, so my opp is forced to go very anti-magic as defense.

TheDrugLordX
20-01-2006, 08:44
The commander with insense is not on steed :) hence halberd, the idea for him is to join the large unit of shadow warriors, giving -2 to all shots against the unit. Possibly not worth it though as i could just add 9 more shadow warriors for the price. Pure of heart helps though as well.
Ah, didn't notice :P Though, if the shadow warrior use their scout special rule, how would you be able to go with them? you should give him the shadow armour (the armour which gives him the scouts special rule). This way he could follow up with the shadow warriors. But as you said yourself, the points could be better invested elsweway...

The main reason for the extra shadow warriors[usually i'd had 1 large and 1 small unit probably] was for protection for my mages and repeater boltthrowers. He like to have a sniping waywatcher hero+ pageant of shrikes? to take them out, and the scouts allow me to combat this slightly.
Yeah, I can see this. Though, I don't like that kind of defensive playing. Try investing in something more offensive, if you keep his units thretened then you're units will probably be safe. And I think 2 units can do the defensive parts good enough.

Annulyian crystal seems like a great buy to me. saying that an average dice for is 3.5. I'm giving myself a 7 point advantage in every single one of my opp's magic phases[while he lives] With silver wand i will hopefully get some decent spells for him, whilst my seer can choose whatever nastiness i'm needing most.
Annulian crystal is OK, though, I prefer giving my mages other stuff, as the HE magic items list has very good items. Only if I play with threee mages I consider the Annulian crystal.

Do you not find you need at least 1 dispell scroll? just in case.
I would possibly like more magic but have found in the case my magic to be very overkill. With all 5 games i've played with he being absolute massacre's so far, mainly due to the magic. It will become a very boring game if i go too magic, so my opp is forced to go very anti-magic as defense.
Against Wood Elves, no, I don't.
Wood Elves have a hard time getting a powerful magic phase. Even if he plays with 3 spellsingers, the lore of loren ain't very destructive and won't hurt your units much. Though, it's kinda annoying when he starts moving around those forests...

Major Defense
20-01-2006, 11:12
Commander - 178
-Eagle

This looks like a High Elves army except for the fact that there is no Bow of Loren in the book. Perhaps you mean the Reaver Bow?

jigplums
20-01-2006, 15:46
yeah, meant to be reaver bow :) whoops.

I'll work on the revisions suggested, then re-post. Any good ideas for dealing with treemen?

ShadowSoul
20-01-2006, 19:21
I'd drop the Musicians on the Archers, and pick up the Ring of Fury on the commander that has the -1 to hit. Vs Woodies, Flaming attacks can really do a number on dryads, treekin and treemen.

Also, some great eagles? They are a steal at 50points a pop.

You might wanna have one ranked unit of infantry if at all possible. You have a ton of support, but nothing really ranked up.

TheDrugLordX
20-01-2006, 19:24
With HE, I would say that RBTs and Magic is the way to go against treemen. Though, there are a few dmg spells out there that can do a doog amount of dmg vs the treeman, therefor you should try to use spells which somehow prevents him from fighting/moving.

ShadowSoul
20-01-2006, 19:29
A mage with a Flaming Sword of Rhuin can drop a treeman no problem at all =p

jigplums
20-01-2006, 22:24
Nice tips guys.

Some of the stuff i took or more accurately didn't take is because i usually use them against him, and i wanna keep him guessing. For example i usually have 2 eagles and 1 large(24) or 2 small (16) strong units of spearmen. Was hoping with all the skirmishers, especially the Large unit at -2 to hit and dont panic is could pound him with my missile weapons, and the finish him with the knights charges.