PDA

View Full Version : Hive Fleet Tarentus Winged Tyrant (FW)

stormtrooper154
19-01-2006, 19:32
I thought I would share with you my construction and painting of my FW Winged Tyrant that will be leading Hive Fleet Tarentus in Carnage 06. I have to say its a lovely model, fine detail. I am thinking of using the scything talons from the new MC sprue as they are similar in size to the ones you get with the model.
I have attatched some pics and will update this thread as i go. I hope to have some construction done by the end of the evening after I have washed it in soapy water.

stormtrooper154
19-01-2006, 21:07
No replies?
Oh well. I have cleaned up the flash and mould lines and washed the resin pieces. I had to use green stuff on the rim of the base because of the breakup of the layers of resin. Once this has dried I can file it down to remove those finger prints. I have decided to use the current MC scything talons instead of the old ones, I think it looks better and it will blend in with the rest of the army.These are only held in with blu tac at the moment to get an idea on how to position them. Here are a couple of pictures from tonights work.

Mike Johnson
20-01-2006, 00:00
I also recently bought a winged tyrant. I'll watch this thread for inspiration and ideas. Good luck.

Samoth
20-01-2006, 03:37
Cant wait to see it painted, pose looks nice so far.

One question though - are you Phil Kelly?

stormtrooper154
20-01-2006, 17:35
No. why do you ask?

Grimtuff
20-01-2006, 21:13
No. why do you ask?

Cos Phil Kelly's taking his Nids to the Carnage tourney this year?

Also because your army is in remarkably the same colour scheme as his

I have to ask though, why does there appear to be some rather poorly mixed GS around the base?

Mike Johnson
20-01-2006, 21:27
Because of the breakup of the layers of resin. Although it doesn't appear to be mixed entirely.. it will undoubtedly still hold.

FearFrost
20-01-2006, 23:56
Holy crap I love that model.

I would mount it on something else, that base looks like its not really round...

-Brian

stormtrooper154
22-01-2006, 09:33
I see where your coming from. Yes my old army was the same colour as his. This is the colour scheme of the army I am taking -

stormtrooper154
22-01-2006, 14:29
Here are the latest pics of the model. The scything talons and wings are going to be pinned to give extra strength in the joints. These pics show the postion of the scything talons. I think it looks good because it gives the impression of it stalking across the battlefield. I should have it completed (construction) tonight.

stormtrooper154
22-01-2006, 15:40
Hooray!! The wings are on and its ready to be undercoated. It wasnt easy positioning those wings but i got there in the end. Here are some more pictures:

NAVARRO
22-01-2006, 20:05
love it, really FW tyrants are awesome detailed sculpts, and i like the little changes you did to the model it gives you the best of GW and FW.
How are you going to paint those wings? i was thinking that could be easier to paint them individually detached from mini but i guess its to late for that:)

cant wait to get my hands on a FW tyrant and cut it to pieces:evilgrin:

keep it going im liking it very much... and also colors on your nids are cool but remeber tyrants need that extra attention and buglove.

stormtrooper154
22-01-2006, 20:35
Yeah, i was gonna paint the wings seperately but needed to put some greenstuff to fill gaps so didnt fancy doing that post paint.
And it will get the extra attention, i changed the tongue for a flesh hook from the warrior sprue because i didnt really like the one that was supplied.
I will be undercoating it tomorrow and begin painting.

stormtrooper154
23-01-2006, 13:04
Finally started painting the model. Here are some wip pictures, lots of touching up to do yet.
I decided to keep to the same painting style that i used for the rest of my army so it wouldnt look out of place, plus its a very quick technique.
I will keep the thread updated as i go. I should have it finished by the end of the week so keep watching!

NAVARRO
23-01-2006, 13:24
more i see it more i like the tyrant. now that you have the base colors you need to clean and pick up details... do one degrade on face from darker green to clearer for greater impact...you can extend that aproach to the carapace on head....first scale clearer and getting darker has it goes to the other scales...its just an idea:)

stormtrooper154
23-01-2006, 14:11
Thanks. Well ive finished the base layers for the skin and the carapace. Next job is to tackle those scything talons and those on the wings.
Here are some more wip pictures of the basic colour scheme.

Great Harlequin
23-01-2006, 17:47
Hi, stormy!

As ever a lovely job, very cohesive. I especially like the tail, the highlighting really came of well there. :)

How're the wings going to be painted out of interest?

EDIT: See you went for Tarentus in the end. An agricultural planet in the Ultramar system if my memory serves correctly. Have you furthered the background per chance?

Lavfluris
23-01-2006, 18:52
Cos Phil Kelly's taking his Nids to the Carnage tourney this year?I can't say I have Mr. Kelly's registration form yet, but time will tell.

Keep up the good work, namesake! :D

FearFrost
23-01-2006, 19:33
I REALLY like the mixed color skin tone, I just wish it had more contrast...

If you took a black and white photo of the skin, it would be almost uniform gray, because the base and shade color are very close in value.

I think I would use the same colors, darkened up (inkwash?) and shade the recesses of the flesh.

Very aquatic looking Tyranids, I think the army will look really cool in this scheme!

-Brian

MIGHTYPanhead
23-01-2006, 20:20
Well ive finished the base layers for the skin and the carapace

I just wish it had more contrast

:), as far as i can tell, he's only done the base layers, and will be highlighting after he does the base of the talons/wings

FearFrost
23-01-2006, 21:35
Right...

But with a mixed color shade/base like that, the shading should be one of the early layers, hence me suggesting that now :) I didnt even mention highlighting.

Also, if you look at the test models on the first page, they look almost identical to the hive tyrant.

-B

stormtrooper154
23-01-2006, 21:43
Well thats the skin pretty much finished. A little neatening up in places is required. In the flesh the skin looks much better, the purple is also deper in colour in the flesh. Once hes done I am going to take a picture of the whole swarm to show you. Should be impressive i hope.

stormtrooper154
23-01-2006, 21:58
See you went for Tarentus in the end. An agricultural planet in the Ultramar system if my memory serves correctly. Have you furthered the background per chance?

Thats right. This fleet is a splinter fleet from Kraken, with the colour scheme first seen on Tarentus.
Thats about all i have thought of so far but i am thinking of expanding it.

MIGHTYPanhead
23-01-2006, 22:04
Also, if you look at the test models on the first page, they look almost identical to the hive tyrant.

blah! I guess I was maistaken, you win this time...but i'll be back!

FearFrost
23-01-2006, 22:07
Haha, its cool, we are 1:1 now :P

I would really like to see that flesh effect up close, I really dig it.

-B

stormtrooper154
23-01-2006, 22:13
Thanks for the comments so far folks. I will be the first to admits its not gd standard but im happy with the technique because its quick and looks good, it should look better once some of the details are painted because it will break up the skin more.

Mike Johnson
23-01-2006, 23:22
I love the skin tone effect... very nice. But an extra highlight with a lighter green(snot/goblin green) would look superb in my opinion. Not a fan of the carapace colour, but thats personal taste.

stormtrooper154
24-01-2006, 10:30
Here are some more wip pictures. Painting the scything talons and claws today. So here you go..

Deadleyheadley
24-01-2006, 10:37
Looking good :) ,The wings look like a chocolate carmal bar from the side :D ,i cant wait to see it finished ,keep up the cool work

stormtrooper154
24-01-2006, 11:36
Well i have done the first layer of bleached bone on the talons and claws. Ive only done the underside of the wings. Heres some more pictures.

immortal99
24-01-2006, 11:58
Looking cool atm, It will look great finished, keep up the good work.

stormtrooper154
24-01-2006, 13:53
Here are some more pictures. Stage one highlights on the carapace. Its beginning to come together now. Should finish it by tomorrow.

stormtrooper154
24-01-2006, 14:22
Stage 2 highlights. Sorry about the blurred picture.

stormtrooper154
24-01-2006, 14:43
Well I have finished it, a little quicker than I had imagined. Am really pleased with the result, it looks awesome with the rest of the swarm.
So here are the final pics.

FearFrost
24-01-2006, 22:49
I wouldnt want to meet that in a dark alley. Or on the tabletop, yikes.

Nicely done.

-Brian

The Dragon Reborn
24-01-2006, 22:56
nicely done, how many inches is the wing span??? looks HUGE.

you *say* it looks good with the swarm, but I would like to be the judge of that :)

stormtrooper154
25-01-2006, 09:10
nicely done, how many inches is the wing span??? looks HUGE.

Wing span is nearly 12 inches, it is huge.
you *say* it looks good with the swarm, but I would like to be the judge of that :)

I will post some pics up of my entire army later.

The wing span is nearly 12 inches!!