PDA

View Full Version : the age old question Warhammer Quest

toee66
14-10-2009, 10:53
this question has prob been asked on this forum thousands of times but iam a newbie so give me a chance to ask , any news or word on a warhammer quest re-release , we have seen talisman now spacehulk , ?? i very much doubt fantasy flight games would have anything to do with warhammer quest as they have descent , .... so it only leaves us with the hope GW make a 2nd ed.also heros quest would be nice but i think i readed many years back that mb had the lisence for many years . so any rumours about this subject . insight would be gr8 .

gunmonkey
18-10-2009, 12:04
Ok so two threads?? Bit much mate.

Anyways, the way the story goes is GW "lost" all the files for the floorplans or such so a reprint or 2nd edition never got made. But with the new direction GW is going with Space Hulk (old game, one of limited run) it is the pipe dream for a new WHQ for many, me included. It would sell a lot of copies among the nostalgia brigade plus lots of other boxes as players get new minis for alternate enemies.

HeroQuest is still owned by MB, the rules are available for free from their site and from what I hear, HeroScape (or whatever its called, the hex based game) is its spiritual succesor.

Dai-Mongar
19-10-2009, 20:08
If GW execs were happy with the Space Hulk launch, then maybe. Another option could be to buy Descent and play with Warhammer heroes and monsters, because it is a very good game.
HeroQuest will likely never return. From what I understand, MB is now owned by Hasbro, who own Wizards of the Coast, who produce D&D. In fact they made a HQ-style D&D game a while back. Wasn't a bad game actually. But they probably wouldn't want to enter into a partnership with competition like GW.

Shane
09-11-2009, 04:30
Wow, I had completely forgotten about Quest. Here's hoping they'll put it back out, it's a classic.

What really interested me though, was the idea that HeroScape is sort of an evolution of HeroQuest (which I loved). Has anyone tried it out? If it's half as much fun as HeroQuest, it's worth my money.

BigRob
11-12-2009, 07:57
From converstations with JJ and others at gamesdays as far back as 1997 the answer has always been a big no.

Despite fanatics support, and the publication of the skaven campaign pack in white dwarf, the final material was never fully released (including the chaos dwarf campaign pack :( ) and even though they put out deathblow and pits and traps the game dwindled into obscurity when fanatic became SG.

JJ did say to me back at GD 1999 that the card contents made the box more expensive to produce than others so unless the jacked up the price past 50 as was the norm for a box game it wouldn't be financially viable. One thing he did say that I liked was that he thought it had potential for a partwork collection (part 1 includes door, Well of Doom, 3 giant spiders and a dwarf) kind of thing but he didn't think GW would go with that since they acked the resources to do it in house.

HaunterV
20-12-2009, 05:21
Sadly Warhammer quest will never be rereleased. The discs and harddrives with the bibles and files for all that was warhammer quest, were lost/damaged never to be recovered.

BigRob
20-12-2009, 07:55
Sadly Warhammer quest will never be rereleased. The discs and harddrives with the bibles and files for all that was warhammer quest, were lost/damaged never to be recovered.

Is what they say. Considering a re-release now would need new artwork/bits anyway ala Space Hulk thats a pretty poor excuse right up there with "The nids ate them" and "We dropped the mould".

HaunterV
21-12-2009, 10:31
Is what they say. Considering a re-release now would need new artwork/bits anyway ala Space Hulk thats a pretty poor excuse right up there with "The nids ate them" and "We dropped the mould".

Thats what I heard anyway way back when.

BigRob
21-12-2009, 16:22
Yeah that was the excuse, they "lost" it when they moved offices. Given that they can just pop a copy open and scan/re-write it and the fact that you would have to be an incredibly stupid company not to keep backups anyway (but we are talkin bout GW here...), its just an excuse not to bother reprinting a game that wasn't making a profit.

They kept it going for a while (Deathblow, Pits and Traps) but for a game that potentially will result in the sales of nearly every kind of miniature to build a monster force, its a shame it was dropped. I look forward to the rumours of it being the next game to be given the "space hulk" treatment comming true.

Eon chao
23-12-2009, 17:10
I remember many years ago when I phoned mail order to try and order some of the old character models from Warhammer Quest that the person I spoke to explained that Warhammer Quest was also covered under the issues that prevented a new Heroquest and that was why most of the stuff is unavalible. Some of the models have made it through since then as I've certainly seen some of the old plastics avalible at one point or another (I've certainly seen the Minotaur a few years ago) but its still worth mentioning. I think I had this conversation around when Mordheim was released so I may have remembered it incorrectly.