PDA

View Full Version : Imaginative Wraithlords

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
14-10-2009, 15:22
Have Eldar ever made a wraithlord that isn't the average big guns or big swords? I would like to see a massive jet bike like thing, or maybe one that runs on all fours...like a goat.

grissom2006
14-10-2009, 15:32
Never seen it in the 25+ years i've known the hobby

Poseidal
14-10-2009, 15:43
Originally, the Wraithlord was just a dreadnought, and piloted like other vehicles like War Walkers or on the larger scale, Titans and Knights.

I don't think they've introduced any other types of 'wraithlord' as such, but this is pretty close:

In BFG, you can but 'Ghost Ships' for a craftworld fleet. These are ships that are powered by spirit stones as crew, similar to a Wraithlord but much much bigger.

Askil the Undecided
14-10-2009, 15:46
It wouldn't work. Wraithlords work because they are Eldar-shaped and piloted by an eldar soul If they weren't eldar shaped the piloting soul would have to learn how to be a Jetbike or a goat etc...

Then again there are Eldar Spacecraft that are run by the same principle as wraithlords.

Suffice to say there have never been non-humaniod wraithlords.

kylsnik ironhead
14-10-2009, 17:24
Anyhow aren't Wraithlords half blind so one riding a giant Jetbike would crash almost immediately.

Tethylis
14-10-2009, 17:38
Back in 2nd ed I used to have rules for a Harlequin Dreadnought/Wraithlord its weapon was some sort of psychic lance that got more powerfull with more psykers on the board. I belive the citadel journel also came with rules for a warpsider varient of Dreadnought complete with warpjump pack, deathspinners & 4 legs :D

Dr.Mercury
15-10-2009, 01:37
Originally, the Wraithlord was just a dreadnought, and piloted like other vehicles like War Walkers or on the larger scale, Titans and Knights.

Lets mot forget they had wraithlords in 1st ed, they were called Ghost Walkers I think.
And then they had the mini wraithguard Ghost Warriors.

Icarus
15-10-2009, 03:56
Whilst models for them may not exist, Wraithlords may well perform other non-combat roles in Eldar society. We already know from fluff that they are called upon to contribute their advice at War Councils, why not other tasks? Maybe an Eldar spirit who was once a great artisan might be placed in a Wraithlord to produce a major work of sculpture or architecture? There are potentially many uses for them.

However, as stated, it is likely that they would still be humanoid in shape, as the Eldar spirit is used to a humanoid body. True there are Wraith-ships, but I would imagine that the spirits contained within fulfill tasks with controlling the ship (such as naviagtion, engineering etc) in much the same way as a crew, just controlling things with their minds not their hands.

Twinmold
15-10-2009, 06:52
Whilst models for them may not exist, Wraithlords may well perform other non-combat roles in Eldar society. We already know from fluff that they are called upon to contribute their advice at War Councils, why not other tasks? Maybe an Eldar spirit who was once a great artisan might be placed in a Wraithlord to produce a major work of sculpture or architecture? There are potentially many uses for them.

I doubt the eldar will disturb the dead if it wasn't absolutly necessary. Just don't see how making sculptures and architecture fits into that critteria.

Icarus
15-10-2009, 07:03
Who said disturb? I was thinking more that the dead Eldar would request it. After all, they're not inert dead, they're swimming around the Infiinity Circuit as a group consciousness. Look to the story of when Harlequins perform for the Saim Hann craftworld, the spirits of the dead come to watch as well through the circuit. If they can watch performances can we not say that some souls may wish to pursue other artforms?

Tokugawa100
15-10-2009, 11:49
The fluff doesnt seem to ahve any imaginative Wraithlords, its up to you to be imaginative.

For example when the new Eldar codex first came out I wanted to make an Altansar themed army with Maugan Ra leading the force and containing one WraithLord.

I had two Dark Reaper squads to fill in the last two heavy support choices but the Wraithlord was my favorite.

I used green stuff to model skulls onto his shoulders and armed him with a big missile launcher.
I painted a big grinning skull on his face too so he looked like a big Dark Reaper, my idea was he was a fallen Dark reaper Exarch who was brought back as a wraithlord.

Ive bought two more since then purely for modeling and painting.

1. An Altansar themed Wraithlord cloaked, camouflaged and hidden in the trees with a bright lance sniper rifle.

2. Another sneaky Wraithlord painted like a Striking Scorpion and using greenstiff to give him the top head braids.
Armed with a blade and shuriken cannon.

Looked great.

MvS
15-10-2009, 12:46
Way back in the mists of time there used to be four-legged centaur like Eldar Titans that were, I believe, piloted by Eldar souls.

The models were from Epic or something similar. Anyone got any pictures?

Flame Boy
15-10-2009, 13:02
Way back in the mists of time there used to be four-legged centaur like Eldar Titans that were, I believe, piloted by Eldar souls.

The models were from Epic or something similar. Anyone got any pictures?

There were Knights Called Bright Stallions used by the Eldar as an equivalent to the Imperial Knights. They can be seen here: http://zachary.org/games/gw/epic12.jpg

Here's a conversion someonby seems to have attempted with a Wraithlord and a War Walker. I think it looks okay, but I'm not keen on the passenger compartment.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics12/img48203c044c16f.jpg

pookie
15-10-2009, 13:08
It wouldn't work. Wraithlords work because they are Eldar-shaped and piloted by an eldar soul If they weren't eldar shaped the piloting soul would have to learn how to be a Jetbike or a goat etc...

that would be a intresting 'Path' to take, path of the Goat, just hope theres no bridges/trolls :D

Sai-Lauren
15-10-2009, 13:16
Who said disturb? I was thinking more that the dead Eldar would request it. After all, they're not inert dead, they're swimming around the Infiinity Circuit as a group consciousness. Look to the story of when Harlequins perform for the Saim Hann craftworld, the spirits of the dead come to watch as well through the circuit. If they can watch performances can we not say that some souls may wish to pursue other artforms?
The 3rd edition eldar codex had a piece of fluff with the female warlock special character - she effectively had to call the spirit into a spirit stone (with some of her own blood to activate the stone) which then got placed in the wraithlord.

Maybe the infinity circuit's able to supply the spirits in it with sensory input in a much better way than Wraith constructs can.

Otherwise, there were the Ghost Warriors (the spirit stone piloted dreadnoughts in RT were Spirit Warriors), but they were still bipedal.

NightrawenII
15-10-2009, 15:42
The 3rd edition eldar codex had a piece of fluff with the female warlock special character - she effectively had to call the spirit into a spirit stone (with some of her own blood to activate the stone) which then got placed in the wraithlord.

Maybe the infinity circuit's able to supply the spirits in it with sensory input in a much better way than Wraith constructs can.

Otherwise, there were the Ghost Warriors (the spirit stone piloted dreadnoughts in RT were Spirit Warriors), but they were still bipedal.

Iyanna Arienal, the Angel of Iyanden. The ritual you describe is "normal" ritual to animate the Wraiths.

loveless
15-10-2009, 16:02
There were Knights Called Bright Stallions used by the Eldar as an equivalent to the Imperial Knights. They can be seen here: http://zachary.org/games/gw/epic12.jpg

Here's a conversion someonby seems to have attempted with a Wraithlord and a War Walker. I think it looks okay, but I'm not keen on the passenger compartment.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics12/img48203c044c16f.jpg

Those are really cool - the conversion needs a bit of work to get rid of the passenger bit, but it's quite interesting.

I'm surprised at how well the centaur look fits the Eldar - gives them a bit of a wilder appearance.

Thanks for sharing.

-----

There was a Golden Daemon entry...oh...a while back...it was a Wraithlord with an epic model of a titan or a wraithlord or something as a Marionnette if I remember right. It was quite cool - sort of showed a Wraithlord during his "time off" so to speak.

A more recent one showed a Harlequin (I think) Wraithlord (probably supposed to be a titan of sorts) leading some Epic Tanks away on a puzzle bridge. Also rather bizarre.

Now, my memory's not perfect, so there are probably some discrepancies between the descriptions and the actual pieces, but I thought they might fit for this topic.

Killgore
15-10-2009, 16:29
I know someone thats made a WraithLord type thing with 4 legs, yea was kinda like a Goat.

He did say it had a class name but I cant remember it.

Splog
15-10-2009, 19:54
Have Eldar ever made a wraithlord that isn't the average big guns or big swords? I would like to see a massive jet bike like thing, or maybe one that runs on all fours...like a goat.

Because that's the way to treat your honoured dead.

Wraithlords are powered by the spirit of heroes. Given they're a construct of war it is probably the case that means heroes in terms of warrior. The spirit of Exarchs are essentially already 'spoken for', so that leaves plucky guardians and Aspect Warriors. Presumably there would be 'aspected' wraithlords for whom the aspect they took on upon the path of the warrior is still particularly powerful.

Messiah
15-10-2009, 20:41
Huh? Why did it have to be a goat? There are several other four-legged animals, like donkeys and pigs..

Vesica
16-10-2009, 00:31

Wouldn't take an Eldar long to learn how to behave like a goat.

Askil the Undecided
16-10-2009, 10:46
Wouldn't take an Eldar long to learn how to behave like a goat.

But it maight take them thousands of year to get over the humiliation of being reduced from a mighty and respected hero who has already made the ultimate sacrifice for their craftworld, to a wraith-goat.

Also Eldar loathe waking the dead into wraith-constructs and see it as both a desecration of their kin's rest and a depletion of sacred the infinity circuit on top of that there the fact the you've opened up the possibility of losing that soul to utter destruction by she who thirsts... again.

So no they don't damn their most respected potters and achitects into eternal half-blindness and sorrow in wraithbone bodies or mock their dead by giving them the forms of lower creatures.

P.s. Does any current Eldar Titan have more than two legs?

Vesica
16-10-2009, 22:02
But it maight take them thousands of year to get over the humiliation of being reduced from a mighty and respected hero who has already made the ultimate sacrifice for their craftworld, to a wraith-goat.

Also Eldar loathe waking the dead into wraith-constructs and see it as both a desecration of their kin's rest and a depletion of sacred the infinity circuit on top of that there the fact the you've opened up the possibility of losing that soul to utter destruction by she who thirsts... again.

So no they don't damn their most respected potters and achitects into eternal half-blindness and sorrow in wraithbone bodies or mock their dead by giving them the forms of lower creatures.

P.s. Does any current Eldar Titan have more than two legs?

Are you calling Goats a lower life form compared to the foul xenos?

Atleast goats have a use and don't try using Human planets as a distraction for nids.

Tokugawa100
17-10-2009, 00:14

Why a goat?:confused:

Not majestic horse, powerful dog or graceful cat just dumpy little goat:confused:

I cant see it happening;)

Askil the Undecided
17-10-2009, 01:38
Are you calling Goats a lower life form compared to the foul xenos?

Atleast goats have a use and don't try using Human planets as a distraction for nids.

To an Eldar anything not Eldar is a lower form of being.

elvinltl
17-10-2009, 16:02
How about Wraithlords with Warp Jump Packs?

Imagine teleporting Wraithlords... shudders. :D

blindingdark
17-10-2009, 19:43
In rogue trader there were only three variants, the war-demon, the war-cry and the banshee.

all had the same humanoid build.

NightrawenII
18-10-2009, 17:53
Why a goat?:confused:

Not majestic horse, powerful dog or graceful cat just dumpy little goat:confused:

I cant see it happening;)

or fire-breathing dragon.:eek:

insan0
18-10-2009, 20:06
Goat?
no.
Goat-like Centaur or Satyr would be a possibility. But lets face it, goats have horns, horns generally equal Chaos [Dwarfs in WHFB are also big on goats. Bearded Wraithlord?]
Horses, Unicorns, Elk, Etc, Can be seen as majestic creatures and I'm sure they would feature in much of there art. Or maybe a long forgotten aspect?
Centaurs are very Wood Elf and its not out of place with the Space Elves.

I could also see multi-armed wraith lords.

Askil the Undecided
18-10-2009, 23:10

Then again there are Eldar Spacecraft that are run by the same principle as wraithlords.

Suffice to say there have never been non-humaniod wraithlords.

once again the same principle applies

it might take them thousands of year to get over the humiliation of being reduced from a mighty and respected hero who has already made the ultimate sacrifice for their craftworld, to a wraith-goat.

Eldar dead are not brought back in non-humanoid bodies because:

I) It is enormously disrespectful.

II) It isn't a body they are used to using thus the entire point of resurrecting able warriors is somewhat defeated.

III) It serves no noticable utility.

IV) It is a waste of precious wraithbone.

V) Wraithords simply don't need improvng on.

VI) When you need something better than a wraithlord you have Titans.

JHZ
18-10-2009, 23:43
I wonder if those Bright Stallions needed two Eldar souls, one controlling the front of the body and the other the hind legs.

What I wanna see, is the deadbeat wraithlord. One that just sits in a big comfy chair, five a clock shadow from two weeks ago, oil staining its joints and a little rust forming on its undies, beer in its hand and the remote in the other. Then you got the warlock standing there, nagging at it while a bunch of wraithguard with dirty armour, messy tabards and toy guns, run around her feet.

Nehemiah
19-10-2009, 07:57
A more recent one showed a Harlequin (I think) Wraithlord (probably supposed to be a titan of sorts) leading some Epic Tanks away on a puzzle bridge. Also rather bizarre.

I found this recently and thought it looked pretty crazy cool.
http://www.reapermini.com/ReaperCon2009PaintingContest/detail/193

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
19-10-2009, 16:40
I found this recently and thought it looked pretty crazy cool.
http://www.reapermini.com/ReaperCon2009PaintingContest/detail/193

That is pretty cool, do the Eldar ever put facial features on their wraithlords?

I can imagine some over-enthusiastic Eldar sculpture doing a picasso themed Wraithlord :D

Lord Of The Avatars
20-10-2009, 19:13
I love the harlequin Wraithlord, and also if it's disrespectful to be in a non-human body why did they have the Centaur-Knight things in editions back? Answer that cookie head =/

JHZ
20-10-2009, 19:28
I love the harlequin Wraithlord, and also if it's disrespectful to be in a non-human body why did they have the Centaur-Knight things in editions back? Answer that cookie head =/
It's only disrespecful for the one holding up the rear.
http://www.cats.hampshire.org.uk/horse2.jpg

Gavswine
21-10-2009, 12:05
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/gavswine/Exodites/th_spacehulk2009.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b333/gavswine/Exodites/?action=view&current=spacehulk2009.jpg)

Dobbin the wonder wraithlord fits nicely with my knights (counts-as wraithguard) in my exodite army. Shame he's so big. He can't hide and gets shot up. About as useful as a goat I'd say.

Alessander
22-10-2009, 02:09
the goat-lord only works with former exarches from the Craftworld C'aprad'rus that has the only known aspect shrine of the Horny Ibexi.

Bonzai
24-10-2009, 01:58
Lol, a whole new aspect for them to explore... Goat warriors.

Pooky
24-10-2009, 12:25
I have seen two intersting Wraithlord conversions...

1) Wraithlord with replaced hand for Brightlance, kinda like the Eldar Titan

2) Wraithlord that was prone on the ground. The modeller did this only so he could be a dirty cheater/ rules abuser.

Murphey
24-10-2009, 13:17

Sorry, to understand this, you must first understand what it is to be Goat. Without this, you will never understand the Eldar...

~Murphey