PDA

View Full Version : new to ogres olf to fantasy 2k ogres

Wolfmother
14-10-2009, 18:45
i want an ogre list that is very cometative for local touneys ect but dont wan to use any specail charecters or rhinox riders

my 2K list atm consists of

tyrant kineater great weapon

butcher hell heart

3 bulls with additional ironfists

2 leadbelchers

2 leadbelchers

2 leadbelchers

2 leadbelchers

4 ironguts bellower

4 ironguts bellower

4 ironguts bellower

4 ironguts bellower

giant

any commets apricaited on either what else to include or how to rearange the list i dont know that much about ogres but like to think i know about fantasy :D cheers

Malorian
14-10-2009, 18:51
Slave giants are pretty bad.

Leadbeltchers should be used at a minimum and just for baiting (you have the unit size right).

You've also caught on on how good ironguts are ;)

I'd take a bruiser with the tenderiser over a tyrant any day.

Wolfmother
14-10-2009, 18:58
cheers for the reply

the giant is the DoW one ogres can take it right?

i like the idea of leadbelchers for nockin off rank bonus and shooting flying stuff that i otherwise couldnt get my hands on

having not played ogres i thought my bigest problem would be ld so i went for the ld 9 with re roll in 6?"

are yheties worth taking?

Malorian
14-10-2009, 19:07
Ogres can't get the dogs of war giant. Since the web site changed I don't know where to find it but the DoW giant had a list of which armies could take it and ogres wasn't one of them :(

Better off taking more ironguts anyway ;)

Leadbeltchers don't actually do that well at killing things, at least not more so than they kill themselves...

Ld can be a problem and the best way around it would be a gnoblar screen (I use 120 in my list) but that would be a MAJOR change.

Yheties suck, however their magical attacks are good against etheral units.

Wolfmother
14-10-2009, 19:17
yer i think ill use a slavegiant in the meantime then will get anothe runit of ironguts how easy is it to deploy that many units though?

Malorian
14-10-2009, 19:25
As long as you don't use a stupid amount of terrain it isn't hard at all.

Papawolf
14-10-2009, 19:26
yheties are fast cos they ignore terrain and get good base strength with 4 attacks but they are expensive and the models make me want to kill myself.
if you can't take a normal giant, does that mean i don't have to pin and greenstuff your metal one? cos that would be nice.
i would invest in another butcher with a scroll and either the bangstick or the mask (-1 ld against panic caused by the wearer and his unit) if points allow
i am still not sure about the kineater, i would go for longstrider and then have the gut plate which doubles ur unit strength o the turn u charge cos the combo means u can get round the side, break ranks on the charge and cut down as u pursue 3d6 when u are movement 7. the wyrdstone neclace and some luck gnoblars would be a good shout too.
drop a unit of leadbelchers and the giant and u will be able to get a butcher and the better stuff for the tyrant easy.

Jind_Singh
14-10-2009, 21:39
thing i like about yehtees is they overcome a weakness with orgres - often with so many units to deploy you run out of viable posistions for them - wereas yhettes can be put down anywere as they pretty much ignore all terrain anway!
yah they are little bit more expensive, but they also get 7" move - which means 3d6 to pursue, factor in no movement pens, and to boot they are -1 to hit, magic attacks, so etheral units better watch out!
fair enough the models are average - in an army were pretty much all the models are wicked, so thats a let down, but you cant have everything I guess!
id also find a way to sqeeze in a few trappers in your list - scouts are always great in any army, and these buggers get 2 missle attacks each (ok its str 2, and they need miracles to hit, but still!)

Papawolf
15-10-2009, 17:58
do some nice conversions for ur characters aswell (Y)

oCoYoRoAoKo
16-10-2009, 08:46
Hmm, dont underestimate the power of ogre magic. one bucher by itself is unlikely to achieve much but 3 is a different matter altogether. you get 8PD total to cast all those lovely 3+ spells. As they can take magic weapons, they are more then a match for any other hero out there.

Also, ive never been to enamored with the slave giant. I think a pair of gorgers would be a better investment.

As for your tyrant, ive always been partial to the longstrider/gutplate combo.

I think you got it right with MSU ironguts and i used to run lots of 2 man leadbelcher units myself so nice going. Target saturation is the key here.

Cy.

Papawolf
16-10-2009, 09:03
3 butchers does end up being very expensive and the problem with 8 pd is that after 6 castings then you are on 6+ to cast. i would go for grut's sickle though aswell, cos it is funtimes

MTUCache
16-10-2009, 15:56
Hmm, dont underestimate the power of ogre magic. one bucher by itself is unlikely to achieve much but 3 is a different matter altogether. you get 8PD total to cast all those lovely 3+ spells. As they can take magic weapons, they are more then a match for any other hero out there.
I've been struggling with this as well in my ideas for a 2k-2.5k Ogre list. While the third Butcher seems like a necessity in order to provide the fifth DD (and probably carry a scroll), I'm not sure he adds all that much to the offensive magic capabilities. With so many of the gut magic spells being remains-in-play, a punishing miscast table, and the fact he costs you another unit of Bulls/Ironguts, I'm just not sure it's worth one extra spell you get through a turn. I'm leaning towards 2 Butchers with as many bounds as I can cram in there, and then a BSB as my third hero choice. The leadership re-rolls, and the fact that he is actually a character that I want to get into combat make this seem a bit more efficient to me.

Also, ive never been to enamored with the slave giant. I think a pair of gorgers would be a better investment.
This I agree with for sure. Two gorgers can be frustrating for both you or your opponent, but they definitely let you mess up your opponent's plan if they're trying to stay out of combat with you.

Currently I'm leaning towards a list that looks like:
- Tyrant
- BSB
- 2xButchers
- 2x4 Bulls
- 3x4 Ironguts
- 4x2 Leadbelchers
- 2 Gorgers

Nine units, plus the gorgers and characters, makes for those extra targets that overwhelm your enemy. The only thing I'm really worried about is not having that 5th DD and only being able to fit one or possibly two scrolls in there. Well, that and having four of the same special choice, which most people look at as pretty shady.

(Sorry wolfmother, don't mean to jack your thread, just presenting my list as a discussion point, not as a list for others to review.)

Wolfmother
16-10-2009, 17:42
no wories MTUCache i apriciate seing a similar list

iv rethought with the help of some mates from my store is this better?

4x 2 leadbelchers

^^
7x ironguts bellower standard warbanner

butcher hellheart

3 bulls with ironfists

3x 4 ironguts bellower

although im stating to drift away from the idea of a tyrant seeing as ironguts are ld8 do these flee alot the only worry i have is that if a unit of ironguts flees there almout out of the game!

MTUCache
16-10-2009, 19:23
butcher hellheart
This thing bugs me... I just can't get my head around why this thing costs so many damn points.

My thought process for the Hellheart looks like this:
Magic defense in the ogre army basically has two goals:
1.) Stop a bunch of little annoying damage spells on your way into combat.
2.) Stop that one big-time spell or round that absolutely gimps your battle plan.

The Hellheart does a half-hearted job at trying to help you take on both these challenges, without doing a really good job of either. The little piddly annoying spells are rarely going to miscast on two dice (1/6 chance per spell), if they even need two dice to cast them. By the time they've burned through your normal dispel phase you're only scaring them out of that last spell anyway. When it comes to stopping that one really big phase, why not just burn your scrolls and be done with it. If he rolls up 5-6 dice and IFs it anyway he's obviously willing to risk the miscast to get it off.

If it actually stopped an entire magic phase outright, then I may consider it at 50 points... but seeing as how it doesn't even do that, I'd much rather have the two scrolls in it's place.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Ogre list... :p

mdauben
16-10-2009, 20:53
^^
7x ironguts bellower standard warbanner
It looks like you are going for a "deathstar" here. If so, I think you should seriously consider adding a BSB Bruiser with magic weapon to your list, so you can put him in this unit also. You might also want to consider replacing the Tyrant's mundane great weapon with the Tederizer and give him some magic armor and/or ward save for the Tyrant. With two high-cost characters in one unit, adding a look out knoblar to one of the standards would not be a bad idea, either.

If you are going for a "deathstar", you want to pack as much nastiness as you possibly can into this one unit, as it is the one that is going to win the game for you. Everything else is just there to screen the "deathstar" or if you are lucky provide a bit of support.

You might also want to try googling "ogre kingdoms deathstar". This seems to be a popular tactic and there are a number of good articles on how best to build and use one. ;)

Papawolf
16-10-2009, 21:41
swap the warbanner for the gut maw (i think its called that), the one whcih bounces the magic on a 2+ cos u have like, no magic defense otherwise, except for one turn.
i would definitely consider dropping a leadbelcher unit and an irongut unit for some yhetees becuase it makes manouevreability and set up easier

Wolfmother
16-10-2009, 21:42
This thing bugs me... I just can't get my head around why this thing costs so many damn points.

My thought process for the Hellheart looks like this:
Magic defense in the ogre army basically has two goals:
1.) Stop a bunch of little annoying damage spells on your way into combat.
2.) Stop that one big-time spell or round that absolutely gimps your battle plan.

The Hellheart does a half-hearted job at trying to help you take on both these challenges, without doing a really good job of either. The little piddly annoying spells are rarely going to miscast on two dice (1/6 chance per spell), if they even need two dice to cast them. By the time they've burned through your normal dispel phase you're only scaring them out of that last spell anyway. When it comes to stopping that one really big phase, why not just burn your scrolls and be done with it. If he rolls up 5-6 dice and IFs it anyway he's obviously willing to risk the miscast to get it off.

If it actually stopped an entire magic phase outright, then I may consider it at 50 points... but seeing as how it doesn't even do that, I'd much rather have the two scrolls in it's place.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled Ogre list... :p

youre just comparing it to ring of hoteck wich is redickulous

It looks like you are going for a "deathstar" here.

i hope not i dont call 7 ironguts a deathstar just the generals bodyguard

ogres dont do deathstars :D

mdauben
17-10-2009, 03:55
i hope not i dont call 7 ironguts a deathstar just the generals bodyguard
It does not have all the bells and whistles of a true deathstar (hence my recomendations) but I would consider it to big to be anything else. Its too many monster based figures to field in one rank, and not enought to get a rank bonus. Under the current rules, IMO Ogres just are not worth deploying in ranks, as the cost far outweighs the benefits.

Right now, I would personally consider this unit the worst of both worlds. Much more expensive than the more normal 3-4 ogre units, without the overwhelming power of a true deathstar. :(

ogres dont do deathstars :D
Um... sure they do. If you search the internet (or even this forum) you will see lots of people discussing and recomending OK deathstars as a valid tactic to try and make OK more competative under 5E. :eyebrows:

Wolfmother
17-10-2009, 08:50
i wouldnt justify taking a standard on 4 ironguts

i would on 7 ironguts

infact the unit would be better if it was one bigger because 3 would have to die to cause panic

the best ogre lists are scrag and gorgers not a deathstar

Papawolf
17-10-2009, 09:52
2 butchers with 1 scroll and the hellheart, bruiser with wyrdstone necklace, 2 luck gnoblars and a great weapon. that makes about 500 pts
unit of 6 ironguts with gut maw, bruiser in there, gut maw, fc, less than 400pts
3 bulls with musician and additional hw, these are for bouncing magic onto from the gut maw
unit of 3-4 yhetees, flanking and goes through terrain (and make a nice change and contrast in the look of the army if you don't want it to be too uniform)
3 x 2 leadbelchers
thenyou can get like 3 x 3 ironguts with musician

thats what i would go for

jimijames
18-10-2009, 13:43
For my tyrant I take:
Heavy Armour
Gut Maw
Wyrdstone Necklace
Ironfist
Skullplucker
Brace of Handguns (I usually forget to use these but I had extra points)

Makes him a very good character hunter

I also put him in a unit for 6 ironguts with a BSB with the dragonhide banner.

Wolfmother
11-11-2009, 18:38
right been reading up lots on ogre (espc Avian's website) and have come up with list 3
i have decided not to take yheties because i dont want to pay 45 for 3 ugly models

tyrant kineater great weapon heavy armour 255
butcher hellheart 180
butcher 2 scrolls 180
7 ironguts command, war banner 411
3 bulls ironfists 120
2 leadbelchers 110
2 leadbelchers 110
2 leadbelchers 110
3 bulls ironfists 120
4 ironguts 192
4 ironguts 192