PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Ice

Keeperofthepies
14-10-2009, 18:55
Hail!

I would really love to do my Warriors of Chaos so that they look like they are made of ice! I initially was thinking a base coat of white, some highlights of a light blue, and then covering them in water effects liquid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to botch any models if I don't have to.

catbarf
14-10-2009, 19:50
Don't think that would work, to be honest. The problem with ice is that it's translucent to a degree, and that makes it extremely difficult to paint.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
14-10-2009, 20:15
This:
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62711

Keeperofthepies
15-10-2009, 00:51
That's a really awesome paint job. I'd probably make the whole model up with the blue base and white highlights. I should probably buy that little pack of 3 warriors to test on first, especially if I'm gonna try to do ice with some water effects liquid over it.

Jaythulhu
15-10-2009, 05:10
I'm doing an icey sort of colour scheme for a squad of CSM. I'm using a slightly modified version of the colours used to paint the wolf guard's power claws in the most recent WD, and a technique showcased in an older issue, that uses many layers of glazing instead of blocks of colour. The trick is to cover less area with each layer. 1st coat covers the entire mini, and each additional coat starts a a millimeter or two back from the start of the previous layer.

(Sorry I can't show any pictures atm, my camera suffered a chaos-spawned cat attack. I suspect my schemes have upset one of gods who isn't my patron)

I painted the metal areas with boltgun, then a wash of badab black, then highlighted with boltgun and then mithril silver first, because for a really icey feel, you should add a layer or two of each glaze colour to the metal. My first attempt, I painted the metal after doing the armour, and it looked... odd.

After the metal was done, I painted the armour with a solid basecoat of regal blue.
1st glaze colour was around 6 layers of hawk turquoise (leaving inner sections of armour untouched after the 1st layer - upper arm plates, underarm-region of the chestplate, etc. Deep recesses, i think the technical term is).
After that, it was 5 layers of a 3:1 mix of hawk turqouise and ice blue, then 4 layers of a 1:1 mix of hawk turquoise and ice blue.
The final glazing colour is 4 layers of a 1:1:2 mix of hawk turquoise, ice blue and skull white.

Once completely dry, I added solid highlights of skull white to the sharpest raised areas, and 2 layers of skull white glaze to the highest block areas of armour (top of the shoulder pads, tops of kneepads, etc).

After that was completely dry, I gave them a coat of water effects, and after it went tacky, I added some citadel snow to the areas I'd painted with pure skull white (both glaze and solid lines). Just remember that you don't need a lot of the stuff, it's purely for effect.

Last thing I did was paint gems. My army is pure tzeentch, so for just for dramatic effect i wanted them to look like they were made of purple flame, and since fire doesn't freeze...