PDA

View Full Version : Totengraber's Chaos Orcs Log

Totengraber
15-10-2009, 15:57
I admit that I'm not so good at the fluff-writing, but here's what I've got:

Gorbad Ironclaw, having been repelled at the gates to Altdorf, returns to battle leading an army of Chaos corrupted Orcs. After his defeat at Altdorf, he left the WAAAGH! in shame and ended up in the far north. There he encountered humans following a god who relished battle even more than Gork and Mork or the Orc race itself. "Blood for the blood god!" became Gorbad's new warcry. Through violence and bloodshed, Gorbad then gathered up an army of other Orcs who have learned this same truth. This new Ironclaw WAAAGH! is currently building strength with the intent of bringing Gorbad's new god all the blood and skulls he possibly can.

This whole thing started off with seeing the Gobtonnia army posted here in the Fantasy project Logs forum. I thought how cool it would be to make a good 'proxy' army like that one. Looking around I found the plastic Black Orc models. I think they are one of my favorite plastic kits out there just because they make the Orcs look really mean. I don't particularly like the O&G rules, but I do like the Warriors of Chaos rules (the models for WoC are awesome as well). So why not put them together? The idea being, "What if Orcs worshiped a Chaos god? Which one would it be and who would lead them?". Clearly Orcs would only respect Khorne as their god; what would get them to worship Slaanesh, Tzeentch or Nurgle? I wanted the leader to ride a Juggernaught, just because that is the iconic Khorne leader in my mind. With some help from other people here on Warseer, I decided to do this army with Gorbad Ironclaw. I really love the model and his boar makes a good Jugger replacement. Well, that's the motivation and idea at its core. What follows is the army list I plan to work from:

Exalted Hero of Khorne (MoK, Jugger, Collar of Khorne, Enchanted Shield)
Chaos Sorcerer (Dispel Scroll x2)
Chaos Marauders x19 (FC, GW, Shield)
Chaos Warriors x12 (MoK, Standard, Musician, GW, Shield)
Chaos Warriors x12 (MoK, Standard, Musician, XHW, Shield)
Chaos Hounds x5
Chaos Hounds x5
Marauder Horsemen x5 (Musician, Flail)
Marauder Horsemen x5 (Musician, Flail)
Chaos Knights x5 (MoK, Musician, Shield)
Chaos Knights x5 (MoK, Musician, Shield)
Chaos Giant
Chaos Spawn

This close to 2000 points. Also in the running to replace the Giant or Spawn are more Marauders, a unit of non-Fast Cav Marauder Horsemen and a HellCannon.

This is the list of models that will be used to replace the Chaos models (definite / questionable):

Hero on Jugger = Gorbad Ironclaw
Chaos Warriors = Black Orcs
Chaos Sorcerer = Avatars of War Orc Shaman
Chaos Knights = Orc Warlord on Boar and Morglum Necksnapper
Marauder Horsemen = Orc Boar Boyz OR Goblin Wolf Riders
Chaos Hounds = Chaos Warhounds
Marauders = Goblins (on 25mm bases) or Orc Boyz
Chaos Giant = Regular Giant kit OR Reaper Fire Giant
Chaos Spawn = Group of Fanatics on a 40mm base OR Avatars of War Netherhound
Hellcannon = Scratchbuilt

I'm still at a loss what to use for Marauders. I'm torn since the Goblin models are cheaper than the Orc Boar Boyz, but the Orcs fit the theme a little better.

Anyway, this is the start of my project painting log. Tomorrow I hope to be able to post a few pics of Gorbad and the first box of Black Orcs.

Papawolf
15-10-2009, 18:10
deffo khorne yeah
i like the idea
you will have to do some conversion work to get them to be obviously chaos though

Bladelord
15-10-2009, 18:42
Sounds interesting. Hm, if you can get your hands on some BFSP Forest Spiders, you could mount some orcs on top of them. I guess it would look really odd.

Acerbus
16-10-2009, 02:42
man get some pictures up, sounds like its gonna be cool.

Totengraber
16-10-2009, 12:45
Here are some pics of what I've done so far:

Gorbad
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/gorbad_ironclaw_003.jpg
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/gorbad_ironclaw_002.jpg
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/gorbad_ironclaw_001.jpg

This is the Khorne symbol I sculpted on the boar's head armor. It's the first time I've sculpted anything.
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/gorbad_ironclaw_002_close.jpg

Black Orcs
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/black_orcs_001.jpg
http://www.dertotengraber.com/wp-content/gallery/works-in-progress/black_orcs_002.jpg

I added spikes to their shoulder pads to make them more chaos-y. The spikes are from the Chaos vehicle sprue from 40K. I have a few of the 2-handed weapon guys started. I think Gorbad might need some spikes here and there too.

I think I've decided to go with Goblins to represent Marauders. I look at it that Gorbad and his Black Orcs forced theme into service to the army. None of the Marauder units have any marks. I am still in limbo on what to use for Chaos Warhounds. The plastics look really cool, but a bit too chaos-y for what I think this army should look like.

Thanks!

RaZeR
16-10-2009, 12:51
Good looking stuff :)
Maelzch did a chaos orc army a while back, try searching this part of the forum. Cant remember what it was called though, and that may not be how you spell his name :p

I would suggest using normal orcs for the marauders... They look pretty good, i think goblins would be too weedy... That would mean that your horsemen should be boar boyz though...

Looking forward to seeing this progress anyways

Totengraber
16-10-2009, 12:58
I found one thread a while back that had Orcs worshiping Chaos in a way.

Yeah, the Boar Boyz are pretty pricey and the faces don't look that great. I still might go back to Orcs instead of Goblins, though.

Elazar The Glorified
17-10-2009, 07:23
It's an interesting idea and Khorne would definitely be the Chaos God of Orc choice I reckon. I would avoid Goblins for Marauders if I were you. Marauders are on 25mm bases not 20mm which means having to rebase a lot of Goblins onto bases that are just too big for them. I reckon regular orcs with a bit of conversion work would fit that bill nicely.
Looking forward to your next update on this one.

mrtn
17-10-2009, 11:39
I like the idea, as I said in the earlier thread. What about using savage orcs as marauders? Heck, you could even give them MoT to simulate that 6+ painted ward save. :D

maze ironheart
17-10-2009, 11:58
Seems like a good idea shall keep an eye on this.

Bladelord
17-10-2009, 21:24
Good start. Perhaps you should go with the new plastic Warhounds, but add goblins on top of them? Just a thought.

Besides, that's a really good first attempt at sculpting (and especially for a symbol). You'll have some remarkable green stuffing in front of you, I suppose. :)

Papawolf
18-10-2009, 12:07
they don't seem very chaos yet...how u gna paint them?

mdiscala
18-10-2009, 13:13
You could just use regular goblin wolves as warhounds. For the marauder horsemen maybe stick orcs on marauder horses?

Totengraber
18-10-2009, 14:49
I actually considered both of those suggestions, and I'm still thinking on them.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Bladelord
18-10-2009, 20:37
You'll have a mighty fine army in its own right, that's clear already at this stage.

However, if you actually would aim at the high-level "army transition" of Gobtonnia, then it would be worth to pick up a Chaos Warrior, and look at it. Ask yourself: "How do I make my Black Orcs look like this?"

Fur-topped cloaks would actually be the only thing as far as I can see. :)

Then do this with the rest of the Chaos range you plan to explore. But if you want to keep more unstrict, care more about the painting and banners - and have fun!

Don't forget to have squigs in there!

Ξ H2O Ξ
18-10-2009, 20:50
Really like the idea. Was thinking myself of picking up some Black Orc models just for the sake of modelling/painting them cause they seem like nice sculpts.

For the spawn though u could use a huge jumbly mound of squigs, or even lots of squigs GS'd together to look kinda spawny and form an uber-squig...

Looking forward to developments,
H2O

Totengraber
20-10-2009, 19:46
The more I think about this, the more I want the army to be mostly grim and less funny (one of the things I dislike about the O&G army in general), so my choices of models will likely change for the Spawn and have already changed for the Warhounds as I picked up the Chaos Warhounds box yesterday. I also picked up another box of Black Orcs. I'm short 4 models (2 of each type) for the full 12 model units, but I'll figure out something.

Some thoughts on the Giant and Spawn, though. What do you guys think of this for a Giant?:
Reaper's New Fire Giant (http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/RPR/RPR65070_500.jpeg)
Whatever paint scheme I decide on for the Orcs, he'll have the same so that he looks like a giant Orc, in a way.

How about this for a Spawn?:
Avatars of War - Netherhound (http://www.microconstruct.com/shop/images/AOW14.jpg)
Seems very Khorne-y to me.

Anyway...there is progress being made. Adding those spikes to the Black Orcs is taking some time. I'm also trying to figure out ways to use the chains from the Chaos Space Marine vehicle sprue as well.