PDA

View Full Version : Woc Player Looking for Help Againt Demons

Morglum5780
16-10-2009, 01:30
I'm playing in the second round of ardboyz and I know that I will be facing at least 2 demon armies with my WoC. I've never had to play demons with my WoC and I've always worried about what I would do if I had to. What ways do WoC have to take down greater demons? I dont have any shaggoth models, sadly.

PeG
16-10-2009, 04:02
I believe the two best options would be either Gateway or a lord with lots of attacks and flaming weapon that do multiple wounds.

Or as an alternative feed him marauders, hounds or horsemen.

The main problem that you will have is to actually get to hit them in close combat meaning that gateway may be the prefered option. Thirsters fly and the other greater daemons will most likely be well protected or strike first with lots of attacks.

cold0
16-10-2009, 08:48
I believe the two best options would be either Gateway or a lord with lots of attacks and flaming weapon that do multiple wounds.

The problem is that any chaos lord combo can't survive a confrontation with the Greater Daemon of Khorne+ Obisidian Armour+ Firestorm Blade+ Immortal Fury combo.

My suggestions are:

a) Make most of your units Immune to Fear. Even if you choose no Slannesh-Mark, a hero with a daemonic steed (cause fear) in the unit can really help.

b) Chaos Knight of Khorne. Take one, or better, two units of Khorne Knights, without standard nor champion, equip them with lance, and cover them with an inexpensive unit of chaoshounds. Place them to cover the flank/rear of our army, then charge the Bloodthrister, the Lord of Change, or any Deamonic “top unit” (fleshounds, bloodchrushers and so on) who come within our charge’s range. The knights are immune to psychology, hit anything with 3+ or 4+ (even the ‘thrister), and wound everything with 2+/4+ (even the ‘thrister). Specifically against the Bloodthrister, you can place at least 12 attacks (hit 4+), wounding with 4+, and leaving the Bloodthrister with a 6+AS/5+ Daemonic Aura save. No other unit can match the knights in this role, not even the Dragonogres, and if they work against the ‘thrister they work vs. anything.

c) For a time you don’t need to march to fight in melee with the enemy, so don’t’ move our army from our deployment zone and make sure to don’t give the Daemons the possibility to charge from the flank/rear (use the terrain and the table border).

d) Use the marauder horsemen to march-block the slow but indestructible Daemonic units as the Plaguebearers, and then fight piece-meal what arrived against tour battle line.

e) For our heroes go magic-heavy, especially 2 or 3 sorcerers with the lore of Tzeencht.

f) Use the flyer characters to kill the annoying daemonic flyers, as Tzeencht’s flyers mantas.

g) Use 2 or 3 blocks of infantry to hold the line the charge the daemonic units of the flank. Warriors and Chosen work really well (..and kill many daemons), but even a unit of Khorne Marauders with Festus can work.

Morglum5780
16-10-2009, 17:54
I like most of these ideas, and I too think gateway is the best bet to do any real damage. The only thing i dont agree with is the knights. they will do some wounds, but the BT gets to fight too and in the end i will maybe win by 1ish (going by odds) and then next turn i am doomed.

4 knights = 12 attacks, 6 hits, 3 wounds and the ward save saves 1
BT has 7 attacks, hitting on 3s with rerolls and wounds on 2 with -3 to save. that is like 2.5 dead knights.

shartmatau
16-10-2009, 19:04
well you could try hitting it with a hellcannon, which may be difficult. But you would still have the option to hit all the other smaller daemon units with it.

You can try to lure him to charge a Slanneshy Giant or get a counter charge with it. Unless a Bloodthirster has the 2d6 attacks its unlikely to kill a giant in one round of combat. The giant has a decent chance of stacking either multiple wounds on a greater daemon or just autowinning combat.

A WoC fighty hero with that plague mace, the one that reduces an enemy S and T would be great to bring. Slap him on a daemonic mount for that long charge range, sacrafice him to reduce that greater daemon to a pile of expensive garbage.

Just some fun ideas.

Scactha
16-10-2009, 19:07
Slaanesh spell lvl 6 halves any block of Horrors. Itīs a good start.

Arguleon-veq
16-10-2009, 19:30
It really depends on the Greater Daemon.

If its a Thirster, you will have some real trouble.

The others arent so bad. You can beat the Unclean One with static res from Marauders, you can blast down the Keeper and Warriors can beat it with Static Res too. A Lord of Change is a bit rougher but it can be blasted down but Chaos Knights easily beat it too if you can catch it. Perhaps trying and pin it down with a unit of Horse with Regen.

For the rest you want to be in combat, cutting them up. Take out those Heralds!. Flaming Sword comes in very Handy vs that Plague Herald. Allways allocate attacks on the Horror Heralds. That Slaanesh Spell wrecks Horrors.

blackstork
16-10-2009, 20:00
Maybe will you try something with Eye of the Gods? Warshrines, Chosen, heroes fighting in challenges plus Valkia can really strengthen your units.

cold0
19-10-2009, 08:43
I like most of these ideas, and I too think gateway is the best bet to do any real damage. The only thing i dont agree with is the knights. they will do some wounds, but the BT gets to fight too and in the end i will maybe win by 1ish (going by odds) and then next turn i am doomed.

4 knights = 12 attacks, 6 hits, 3 wounds and the ward save saves 1
BT has 7 attacks, hitting on 3s with rerolls and wounds on 2 with -3 to save. that is like 2.5 dead knights.

Probably you will inflict 3 wounds, so you are trading 1/2 of 500+ point of the BT for 280 points of Khorne knights. With 2 (but even with 3) wounds left your opponent could be forced to take cover with his BT to preserve it and even if BT remains in play is quite vulnerable, and even lucky Flickering Fire (cast 3+, 1d6+1 hits at s D 1d6+1) can kill it outright.