PDA

View Full Version : Some news

Tancred II von Quenelles
16-05-2005, 17:49
1) wood elwes

They do not hawe shields and greatweapons at all

2) Not sure, but I was told about some GW plans

In 2-3 years they are planning to re-equip their model-casting mashienes. Their plastik and matal manufactures are going to be in one great new-built fabric. To get money bacc they are planning to sell really old models and all archiewe models they hawe through pre-order (mainly from US). They hope they can do it, as new mashienes and better pewter can afford them using moulds they cannot use now, cause nowday mashienes can not prowide good quality for such old moulds, but the new ones can (they think so). Mayby such old models as the Eternal Heroe series and old GW LotR can re-appear.
It s great. But there is another point - they are going in time to make all their production of plastik (some new generation of it. Only heroes and megarares mayby going to be still made in pewter. some words were told about making per two different plastic regiments of the same unit (2 entirely different boxes of saurus warriors for example).

Its hard to beliewe the second part of the news (about what is planned for the next 2-3 years).Mayby it s a lie, mayby not. Just I was told it by a man reliable enough. As for me, I hope thet are not going to make such stupid amounts of plastic and go on making pewter as main part of their production. Anyway, GW makes things not wery quickly , and I hope it ii take them more then in 3 years.

Brandir
16-05-2005, 18:16
GW made a corporate decision about 6 years ago that they would move to plastics for troops and only leaders/special characters would be metal.

Tancred II von Quenelles
16-05-2005, 18:26
Still, I can t imagine plastic Grail and Questing knights after their re-release, waywatchers etc. Why didn t GW make all new models in plastic, when they could hawe all-plastic armies from the beginning of 6th Edition I wounder and can t understand. andwhat about LotR :confused:

Drabant
16-05-2005, 18:50
It takes more effort to make a mould for plastic, and it costs more, but once you are producing it costs less. So it makes sense to have plastic for anything you make larger quantities of.
Since you don't use the same production methods, they can't just swap moulds over night, so it will take time before they have moved over to plastic.

Brandir
16-05-2005, 18:54
I believe that the circa 2000 plan was a 10 year project.

Guilliman
16-05-2005, 19:55
But I don't want to have a pure-plastic range of models. :mad: The details are often terrible and holding a plastic rat ogre doesn't feel like the right thing compared to one in metal. I hope you get my point.

Sgt John Keel
16-05-2005, 22:37
But I don't want to have a pure-plastic range of models. :mad: The details are often terrible and holding a plastic rat ogre doesn't feel like the right thing compared to one in metal. I hope you get my point.

I do. I feel the same as you. Besides, metal blisters are a much better impulse buy than a regiment box.

/Adrian

Drabant
16-05-2005, 23:25
I'm a metalhead as well. Atleast when you don't want to do any converting at all, it feels better with a pewter figurine.

Brandir
16-05-2005, 23:37
Whos to say that GW won't start releasing plastic mini in blisters? Will the plastics of the future be multipart? Maybe they will be one part plastics, made just like the present metals?

And remember that the first plastic Citadel/GW minis were those incredible psychostrene dwarves which were, as far as I can remember, sold in blisters.

Sgt John Keel
16-05-2005, 23:50
Whos to say that GW won't start releasing plastic mini in blisters? Will the plastics of the future be multipart? Maybe they will be one part plastics, made just like the present metals?

And the cries of pain will be heard forever more echoing through the dungeons at Lenton...

That day I leave this hobby. :(

/Adrian

Lion El Jason
17-05-2005, 00:05
Actually I've heard something similar. Space Marines will be the first as any change in sales will be easily measured, the last of the plastics will be released with the BT codex. after that any SM army can easily be all plastic (Aside from bits on some tanks but the vindicator is being re-done so that'll just leave the crusader).

Once everything has been anylised they'll start this with all armies for 40k and warhammer (Like with the lustria book, slowly releasing old metals as new plastics).

Guilliman
17-05-2005, 09:29
Well detailed models can not be moulded in plastic without loosing half of the details! The moulds for plastic models can't be bent in the same way as the ones for pewter an can not therefor "go round" details. That's why only SM characters look good in plastic (they still look better in pewter). Some may remember the old plastic adventurer box from the mid-90th. Lets all hope all heroes never will look like that...EVER!

The boyz
18-05-2005, 14:01

I agree. Some minatures just seem better in pewter than plastic. I dont know why this is.

Drabant
18-05-2005, 20:40
Some minatures just seem better in pewter than plastic. I dont know why this is.

Part of the reason for this is because the pewter moulds are made out of rubber, while the plastic ones are made out of steel. Since you can bend the rubber, you can do details in pewter that would get stuck in the moulds for plastic. For example, you could make a whole horse in pewter, but if you made a steel mould for that, you wouldn't be able to get the horse out of the mould. (unless you made it really, really ugly and two dimensional).

Guilliman
19-05-2005, 10:49
Part of the reason for this is because the pewter moulds are made out of rubber, while the plastic ones are made out of steel. Since you can bend the rubber, you can do details in pewter that would get stuck in the moulds for plastic. For example, you could make a whole horse in pewter, but if you made a steel mould for that, you wouldn't be able to get the horse out of the mould. (unless you made it really, really ugly and two dimensional).
That was exactly my point.

Raza Decon
19-05-2005, 11:04
I heard Pre-order of old/OOP models from the Collecters group i am a member of. Apperently Their are those in GW that do not like the Second Hand Market of Old/OOP Models, since it is out of their control. That added with the demand of older models it makes a good buissness venture/trial.

Avian
19-05-2005, 11:22
Actually I've heard something similar. Space Marines will be the first as any change in sales will be easily measured, the last of the plastics will be released with the BT codex. after that any SM army can easily be all plastic (Aside from bits on some tanks but the vindicator is being re-done so that'll just leave the crusader).
That's not really correct and in fact they are releasing metal troop types for SM in this edition as well (Veterans) as well as hybrids (reworked Devastators).

What *is* happening is that the threshold for when a model gets made in plastic is getting lower. Newer armies get three or four plastic sets when older ones got one or two. It's still a long way before they make all unit models in plastic, though.
Orcs, for example, need four new regiment sets (Savage Orcs, Black Orcs and both types of Boar Boyz) and ideally a re-work of the existing ones before they are at a decent level of plastification.