PDA

View Full Version : Von Dreisel's Danse Machine (VC)

ManusMarines
17-10-2009, 03:54
Hello all, and welcome to my first foray into the Fantasy game system.

I am a 40k player of several years and have collected a small High Elves army (mostly for the models) and am now getting into actually playing the game with the Vampire Counts.

Basic Info:
- I enjoy painting, and usually paint at least a little every other day. School/work loads tend to shorten or extend that time.
- I'm looking to build to a predetermined list, as opposed to my past armies where I just bought the cool looking units and built from there.
- I play Imperial Guard, Orks, and Ultramarines in 40k, and you can see their painting progress in the link in my sig.
- My friends and I are going to be building our armies in 500pt increments, starting with 500 of course. Well, at least that is the general idea.
In reality, this idea turned out being me going on a spending spree and quickly amassing a legal, 2000pt army. Oh my...

CURRENT STATUS OF ARMY
Start Date: October 16th, 2009

**INSERT ARMY PICTURE HERE**

Painting Status:
White = Purchased
Yellow = Assembled/Work In Progress
Orange = Basecoated/Painting In Progress
Red = Finished

LORDS/HEROES
- Vlad von Dreisel - Vlad
- Annabelle von Dreisel - Isabella
- Mikhail von Dreisel - Vampire
- Johan von Dreisel - Vampire
- Gregor von Dreisel - Vampire
- Anton von Dreisel - Vampire
- Nebuchenezzar, The Ancient - Wight King (mounted)

CORE
- Skeleton Warriors w/ Spears (20)
- Skeleton Warriors w/ HW/Shields (10)
- Grave Ghouls (20)
- Grave Ghouls (10)
- Zombie Horde (20)
- Corpse Cart
- Dire Wolves (5)
- Dire Wolves (5)

SPECIAL
- Grave Guard (20)
- Black Knights (5) (Tomb King Skeleton Horsemen/VC Grave Guard kitbash) <--- Idea credit of zigoR

RARE
- Varghulf
- Bestial Giant - Counts-as-Varghulf

Let the horde rise!

Ganymene
17-10-2009, 05:31
Undead! Yes!

Have you decided on a color scheme for them yet?

Looking forward to seeing the first test models!

ManusMarines
17-10-2009, 08:01
Undead! Yes!

Have you decided on a color scheme for them yet?

Looking forward to seeing the first test models!

Color scheme is as of yet undecided. Will be working on some ideas over the weekend.

I need to grab some more primer to coat the first 10 Grave Guard and Crypt Ghouls that are assembled. Will post pics of assembled units tomorrow.

ManusMarines
18-10-2009, 23:09
After a bit of shopping, I now have a lot to work with!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC001.jpg

A battleforce, 2 boxes of Grave Guard, two boxes of Crypt Ghouls, and Vlad.

After assembling my purchases I will be able to field the following:
- 20x Grave Guard (10x Swords/Shields, 10x Great Weapons)
- 30x Crypt Ghouls
- 20x Skeletons
- 20x Zombies
- 1x Corpse Cart
- Vlad/Standard Vampire

That means I'll be in possession of over half of my eventual 2250 army. <3 25% off coupons.

Tonight will be spent assembling things, and trying to get my rank construction down so things seem fluid.

I might spray a GG and ghoul test model later on, and start trying to come up with a color scheme.

For the horde!
~Manus

Elazar The Glorified
19-10-2009, 06:33
Looks like plenty of boxed goodness. Look forward to seeing you get these guys painted! :)

ManusMarines
19-10-2009, 16:07
Looks like plenty of boxed goodness. Look forward to seeing you get these guys painted! :)

Thanks, Elazar! That makes two of us!

I completed a full 20-strong unit of Grave Guard last night, including basing and movement tray. Will post pics after work.

Time to start on the Corpse Cart :)

~Manus

ManusMarines
20-10-2009, 02:41
*UPDATE*

Here are the promised pics of the completed Grave Guard.

Now that I've had a chance to see them all up close and magnified, I realize I need to go back and tidy up some mold lines, especially on the weapons. Oh well.

I built the Grave Guard as a 10/10 split, that being 10 GG are equipped with Swords/Shields, and the other 10 are equipped with Great Weapons. That way I can field either configuration simply by shifting the correct models to the front two ranks. That is, at least until I nab two more boxes somewhere down the road.

Anyways, here is the Sword/Shield configuration:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC002.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC003.jpg
Side view.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC004.jpg
Great Weapon configuration.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC005.jpg
Side view.

I will hopefully be basecoating them tomorrow or Wednesday.

I absolutely love these models! I am noticing that there is a lack of individuality in Fantasy as opposed to 40k, but the ranking system necessitates conformity.

The GG will remain a closed, non-filler unit. For my ranks of Ghouls, Zombies and Skellies I will be crafting some fillers, and perhaps some regiment bases for massed IoN markers. These regiments will also have open-backed movement trays to show the ability for them to increase past their initial space constraints.

On to building the corpse cart!

Ganymene
20-10-2009, 03:48
I like the Grave Guard, very cool. The shields look good, but the great weapons look awesome!

Did you have anything in mind for the banner?

ManusMarines
20-10-2009, 04:18
I like the Grave Guard, very cool. The shields look good, but the great weapons look awesome!

Did you have anything in mind for the banner?

They better look awesome..those things are a pain to put together (the Great Weapon ones, at least)!

As for the banner, nothing comes to mind at the moment. There will definitely be something there. I just might be trying some freehand (after much pencil practice on paper ;))

Corpse Cart is about 70% put together. The main structure and Necro are put together, but remain separate for painting purposes. I just need to put together the Zombie slaves, and find some decoration for the base.

Upon further digging in my Battalion, I DID manage to find the chariot base that I thought was M.I.A. Turns out I just need to look harder when the clock reads 3am :eek:

Elazar The Glorified
20-10-2009, 08:08
The Graveguard look great. The Great Weapon wielding Grave Guard are amongst some of my favourite Fantasy minis, they look brilliant and I would imagine they are a pain. My Marauders with flails and great weapons were a paint to put together, that's the problem when 3 or 4 bits need to be glued at the same time for it to work, can get very messy!
Glad to see you've textured your movement tray! :D
Have you thought any more on your colour scheme?

ManusMarines
20-10-2009, 11:30
The Graveguard look great. The Great Weapon wielding Grave Guard are amongst some of my favourite Fantasy minis, they look brilliant and I would imagine they are a pain. My Marauders with flails and great weapons were a paint to put together, that's the problem when 3 or 4 bits need to be glued at the same time for it to work, can get very messy!

Ain't that the truth! :p

Glad to see you've textured your movement tray! :D
Have you thought any more on your colour scheme?

I've been playing around with two major color schemes (at least for those models with Armor).

A) Dark Gray robes, Liche Purple armor dressings, heavily washed Boltgun Metal/Chainmail armor

B) Black robes, Blood Red armor dressings, heavily washed Boltgun Metal/Chainmail armor.

As soon as I get the GG primed I will be painting up a tester in each color, which hopefully will be tonight.

npow34
20-10-2009, 14:12
Looking good so far! Cannot wait to see them painted! Decided on a color scheme? (Maybe someone asked already. Sorry if they did.):D

ManusMarines
21-10-2009, 00:16
Looking good so far! Cannot wait to see them painted! Decided on a color scheme? (Maybe someone asked already. Sorry if they did.):D

Thanks, npow. Color scheme is still undecided between two different ones: Purple/Gray/Metallics or Red/Black/Metallics.

I did get to basecoat my GG before I went to work, so I will be knocking out two quick test minis in a little while here. Pics up hopefully tonight (well, tonight EST anyways :rolleyes:)

~Manus

ManusMarines
21-10-2009, 03:32
As promised, here are two quick test minis showing the two different color schemes I'm considering.

There are no highlights/etc on the models, as I'm still trying to figure out which scheme looks the best.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC006.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC007.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC008.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC009.jpg

The red scheme is a "traditional" VC color option, especially for models with armor. It is very sharp, and nice.

The purple scheme is a little cooler (color temp wise) and gives a subtle, darker feel to the models. Plus, I always think of Roman Praetorians (Emperor's Guard) with purple robes w/ armor.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the purple.

Thoughts?

~Manus

Elazar The Glorified
21-10-2009, 05:39
Purple gets my vote. As you say, it has that Praetorian feel to it. It really darkens the mini in comparison to the red and for a Vampire Counts army darker is better I reckon. Plus, I'm a Slaaneshi player so purple would always get my vote in such matters ;)
I reckon an army based on the purple scheme would look pretty awesome! :D

No-One
21-10-2009, 05:39
personally i say go with the colder purple color, it looks great, and with highlights, will look even better, i'll definately be keeping an eye on this

ManusMarines
21-10-2009, 16:16
Purple gets my vote. As you say, it has that Praetorian feel to it. It really darkens the mini in comparison to the red and for a Vampire Counts army darker is better I reckon. Plus, I'm a Slaaneshi player so purple would always get my vote in such matters ;)
I reckon an army based on the purple scheme would look pretty awesome! :D

personally i say go with the colder purple color, it looks great, and with highlights, will look even better, i'll definately be keeping an eye on this

+2 for purple thus far :p

Before I fully commit to it, I'm going to start painting the rest of the guard, leaving out the parts that would be purple.

That, and trying to figure out my basing scheme.

Updates up later today/tonight!

~Manus

Ganymene
21-10-2009, 17:45
I think they both look very nice. This one is going to come down to personal preference.

I know you think I'm going to vote for purple, but the red really contrasts well with the dark armor.

They are fairly equal, so that is my vote. :)

ManusMarines
21-10-2009, 18:01
I think they both look very nice. This one is going to come down to personal preference.

I know you think I'm going to vote for purple, but the red really contrasts well with the dark armor.

They are fairly equal, so that is my vote. :)

Yea, definitely wasn't expecting you to stray from Purple.

I think I'm going to go with Purple, as I am definitely loving the Praetorian feel. The red can be saved for another Grave Guard unit down the road, and definitely for eventual Blood Knights.

Endor
21-10-2009, 18:20
Yes - I'd say go with purple as well. It will make the army stand out from the more traditional colour schemes.

ManusMarines
21-10-2009, 21:17
Yes - I'd say go with purple as well. It will make the army stand out from the more traditional colour schemes.

Definitely. Thanks for the input!

I've just entered the final stages of fully painting the purple test mini: Highlights, shading, etc. I know Ganymene told me how to create a glowing effect on the Wights (as all Wights should have, IMHO), but I forgot.

Any pointers?

Will post current status of mini once I get home from class.

~Manus

bob_the_small
21-10-2009, 22:09
I would say purple as well... just it needs to be a bit brighter so that it stands out amongst the rest of the army

Indreth
21-10-2009, 22:11
The purple works better with the gold I think. But there are too many purple VC armies...
I think you should try the red one.

ManusMarines
22-10-2009, 01:25
*UPDATE*

Here is a (mostly) completed Grave Guard in the purple scheme. I still need to wash his boots and apply some dead grass to the base, but he is pretty much complete.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC010.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC011.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC012.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC013.jpg

Thoughts?

No-One
22-10-2009, 03:19
consider me sold on the purple completely now, looks great

Elazar The Glorified
22-10-2009, 06:26
He's looking pretty damn awesome I think :) The highlights on the purple are looking nice. I think the blade on his great weapon is my favourite bit though, you've put the shading on that well with the darker colour at the base of the blade. Looks really realistic. Well done! :)

No-One
22-10-2009, 07:29
another little bit i forgot to mention, and since Elazar mentioned the greatswords... great work on them

personally since you didn't do the whole "oooooh glowy weapons!" approach, i'd throw a dash on blood on the edges of the blades, to give them that killing blow feel

ManusMarines
22-10-2009, 07:58
He's looking pretty damn awesome I think :) The highlights on the purple are looking nice. I think the blade on his great weapon is my favourite bit though, you've put the shading on that well with the darker colour at the base of the blade. Looks really realistic. Well done! :)

Thanks, Elazar. I totally stole a page from Ganymene's book there on the Purple-on-Black highlights.
Washes are a magical invention :-D

consider me sold on the purple completely now, looks great

another little bit i forgot to mention, and since Elazar mentioned the greatswords... great work on them

personally since you didn't do the whole "oooooh glowy weapons!" approach, i'd throw a dash on blood on the edges of the blades, to give them that killing blow feel

Thanks, No-One! The purple is definitely feeling more and more like the correct choice.

I was still debating on the glowy weapons thing, but the blood idea seems like an awesome one!

I'm about 90% done with painting the front rank (Command Group..yay!), just need to finish their bases. Considering I need to be up in 4 hours for a class, I will be accomplishing that after a nice afternoon nap ;)

~Manus

ManusMarines
22-10-2009, 18:38
*UPDATE*

Here is the completed front rank of the Grave Guard. Standard Bearer is left blank at the moment while I attempt to think up a design, as well as the blades remaining pure until I decide on Glowy vs. Bloody.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC014.jpg
Command Group of the Grave Guard

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC015.jpg
From the side

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC016.jpg
From the other side

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC017.jpg
Seneschal

I'm torn between using dead grass on an already dark base. Ganymene expressed that perhaps regular green grass would look better, almost as if it was the last bit of life left before the power of undeath swallows it all.

Thoughts?

Elazar The Glorified
22-10-2009, 18:47
They're looking really good. GWs Scorched Grass flock is quite good, it has greens and reds in as well so might give you the best of both there.
I have spotted one little thing though, the Grave Guard standing next to the standard bearer, carrying a shield. You've give the purple a highlight around the gold metal. As it's the gold that's the raised surface it should be a darker purple there.
Otherwise though, they're looking really good, I really love the way you shade the metallic colours, they look really great! :)

ManusMarines
22-10-2009, 18:52
They're looking really good. GWs Scorched Grass flock is quite good, it has greens and reds in as well so might give you the best of both there.
I have spotted one little thing though, the Grave Guard standing next to the standard bearer, carrying a shield. You've give the purple a highlight around the gold metal. As it's the gold that's the raised surface it should be a darker purple there.
Otherwise though, they're looking really good, I really love the way you shade the metallic colours, they look really great! :)

Thanks, Elazar. I just realized that about the shield as well, that something looked a bit off. I'll def. correct that :)

Ganymene
23-10-2009, 02:10
A nice start! The unit looks very cohesive.

The Warlock Purple highlights on Lich Purple really looks good. And, I think you made the right choice to paint the horn in bone rather than gold. It fits perfectly.

Paraelix
23-10-2009, 08:30
Purple was going to get my vote... Glad you stuck with it :D They're looking very nice.

If I ever get around to doing VCs I intend to do green. Not one that tends to be bandied around.

ManusMarines
23-10-2009, 17:55
A nice start! The unit looks very cohesive.

The Warlock Purple highlights on Lich Purple really looks good. And, I think you made the right choice to paint the horn in bone rather than gold. It fits perfectly.

Muchas Gracias! Yea, a complete gold horn would have been a bit much. Also, I'm glad I didn't go with the giant purple horn idea. *shudder*

Purple was going to get my vote... Glad you stuck with it :D They're looking very nice.

If I ever get around to doing VCs I intend to do green. Not one that tends to be bandied around.

Glad you like them, Paraelix! I'm digging the purple as well. Green would definitely be a departure for VC! Which shade though, darker or lighter?

*UPDATE*

The Corpse Cart is assembled. I need to figure out what I want to do with the base, and I also need to do a little green stuff gap filling on the necromancer, as his cloak just doesn't line up properly.
Starting work on assembling the Skellies. Will post pics of the corpse cart and hopefully the next rank of Grave Guard painting in progress later on tonight.

OutOfContext
23-10-2009, 18:20
Very nice work :)
I love how well purple works with VC. Good stuff.

As for the Corpse Cart base, I did mine as a country lane/road. Simple but effective. There's some pics in my log if you want a nosey.

BeatTheBeat
23-10-2009, 21:39
Great start to an army, now keep this up! :) Looking forward to seeing the whole unit finished.

Cheers,

BTB

ManusMarines
24-10-2009, 01:02
Very nice work :)
I love how well purple works with VC. Good stuff.

As for the Corpse Cart base, I did mine as a country lane/road. Simple but effective. There's some pics in my log if you want a nosey.

Thanks! Good to get some input from a fellow VC player. And I've definitely already had a nosey browse through your log. Love the unit fillers!

I was thinking of using some Green Stuff to make some wheel tracks of mud on the back of the base, or at least some sort of depression where the cart was riding through.

Great start to an army, now keep this up! :) Looking forward to seeing the whole unit finished.

Cheers,

BTB

Thanks, Beat! It took about 3-5 hours to fully paint that first rank. It would have taken about and hour and a half less, but I kept getting distracted by Man Vs. Food. And Transformers. And Ocean's Eleven. :D

As soon as I finish a bit of homework it's back to painting the second rank of the GG. Huzzah!

~Manus

shredshredxx
24-10-2009, 03:12
these look awesome so far!!

it would appear we have extremely similar tastes in undead color schemes.

ManusMarines
24-10-2009, 06:38
these look awesome so far!!

it would appear we have extremely similar tastes in undead color schemes.

Purple is just such an awesome, subtle, evil color! Especially when it comes to the undead.

ManusMarines
24-10-2009, 06:56
Double post, yea yea...but this one is an update!

I had some time to sit down and start painting more of the Grave Guard.

Instead of following my "One Rank At A Time" mentality, I decided to layout the base colors across all of the remaining models, and go from there.

That being said, here is the progress!
(Note: Totally forgot to fix that shield, Elazar. I'll get it next time)

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC018.jpg
Front View

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC019.jpg
Angled Shot. Just seeing this picture makes me realize that I will definitely be buying another Grave Guard box in the future to make a full Great Weapon Grave Guard unit. Just look at the awesomeness!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC020.jpg
Current Unit Status

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC021.jpg
Unit Status Angled Shot

Unsure if I will have some time to sit down tomorrow to paint in any length, but I will at least aim to get the rest of the purple down on the models (including some shields).

~Manus

Ganymene
24-10-2009, 07:08
True batch painting, that is the fastest way, I think.

You definitely need another unit of Great Weapon Grave Guard, they all look sweet together!

This unit should look very nice when completed.

Paraelix
25-10-2009, 02:35
Glad you like them, Paraelix! I'm digging the purple as well. Green would definitely be a departure for VC! Which shade though, darker or lighter?

I'd be thinking a rather bright green, with everything else dark... Like emperor's children if you used scorpion green instead of pink.

Farnsworth
26-10-2009, 14:22
Some great skellys there - I thought purple and metals would make the unit too dark, but that front short really proves me wrong. Especially the shields, some great highlights bringing out the depth.

Are you going to follow the same colour scheme with the other unit or try a different colour?

Keep them coming.

ManusMarines
26-10-2009, 15:58
True batch painting, that is the fastest way, I think.

You definitely need another unit of Great Weapon Grave Guard, they all look sweet together!

This unit should look very nice when completed.

Yea, definitely liking the batch painting, at least when it comes to painting ranked fantasy units.

I'd be thinking a rather bright green, with everything else dark... Like emperor's children if you used scorpion green instead of pink.

Ooo, interesting. Should be a very eye-catching army, for sure.

Some great skellys there - I thought purple and metals would make the unit too dark, but that front short really proves me wrong. Especially the shields, some great highlights bringing out the depth.

Are you going to follow the same colour scheme with the other unit or try a different colour?

Keep them coming.

Thanks, Farnsworth! I generally plan to follow this scheme for most of the armored units in the army. Regular skeletons, Black Knights, Black Coach, most characters, etc will follow the Purple/Black/Gold scheme.

I am unsure if I want to step outside that scheme for my Blood Knights. The red test model's colors would look great on the Blood Knights. But then again, so would the Purple.

I am still undecided on the zombie/ghoul colors, and will most likely vary the stage of decomp for each unit.

Updated Grave Guard pictures will be posted after I get home from work.

~Manus

ManusMarines
27-10-2009, 05:27
So I had a chance to sit down and paint a little bit tonight, and the Grave Guard are looking better and better.

I still have all the highlighting to do: Burnished Gold on the golden bits, Mithril Silver on the weapons, Liche Purple on the black areas, and Warlock Purple on the Liche parts. Ugh...

Pics!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC022.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC023.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC024.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC025.jpg

Tomorrow I will be finishing up the highlights, as well as adding grass to the bases. Woot.

ManusMarines
27-10-2009, 05:34
I've been looking around for some substitutes for the Spirit Hosts, and I think I've found them. There's just something about the comically scary GW Spirit Hosts that doesn't draw enough fear for me.

Thus, I will be using another product in GW's range (an idea that has probably been used before, but oh well)...

The LOTR Army of The Dead!
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/m2360071_99121466004_LoTRArmyoftheD.jpg
Credit: Games-Workshop

They definitely have a more martial air to them, and will fit better with the rest of the army.

While they aren't a part of my initial army list, you never know when I might just get to cast a Wind of Undeath for some free Hosts :evilgrin:

Once I finish the Grave Guard I will be finishing off building the Corpse Cart, as well as the Skeleton Regiment.

~Manus

Elazar The Glorified
27-10-2009, 06:52
The Grave Guard are indeed looking better and better. Will be a great looking unit when you've done those last bits.
The LoTR Army of the Dead idea makes a lot of sense. Certainly looks more at home in a warhammer ARMY than the GW spirit hosts! :)

Rochie83
28-10-2009, 02:13
Thats some very nice progress on the grave guard! I went for the cheap option on my spirit hosts, i just stuck spare empire, dwarf and high elf models in groups on bases and painted em all ghosty like, and robert's yer mothers brother!

ManusMarines
28-10-2009, 06:25
The Grave Guard are indeed looking better and better. Will be a great looking unit when you've done those last bits.
The LoTR Army of the Dead idea makes a lot of sense. Certainly looks more at home in a warhammer ARMY than the GW spirit hosts! :)

That was my conclusion as well.

Thats some very nice progress on the grave guard! I went for the cheap option on my spirit hosts, i just stuck spare empire, dwarf and high elf models in groups on bases and painted em all ghosty like, and robert's yer mothers brother!

That's a pretty sweet idea, Rochie. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of extra High Elf models (my only other Fantasy 'army'), but plenty of extra 40k models. Would look a bit off ;)

Update! The Grave Guard are finished (sans Banner). I'm still trying to figure out what the hell to paint on it, so it will remain a big gray slab for now.

What are your thoughts on the base color for the Guard? Should I leave them Bestial Brown, or drop them down to Scorched Earth (or even Chaos Black) to blend into the tray a bit better?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC026.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC027.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC028.jpg

I started on assembling the Varghulf (boo gaps!) and also started on the Corpse Cart base. Pics will be up tomorrow.

~Manus

Farnsworth
28-10-2009, 08:23
They're some quality grave guard! They've turned out really well and are very characterful. Well done.

I personally like the bases as is - maybe I'd still be worried about darkening the whole unit, but I think they blend in just nicely as is.

Are you any good at freehand work? If so, I really like some of the "silhouetted castle in front of the moon" banners, but they do take a lot of work (and I've never been happy with my efforts.)

Alternatively, you could alawys go for the classic white skull, black background or some random white or red characters or symbols - not as effective, but can still look ok.

Elazar The Glorified
28-10-2009, 08:54
That's a really great looking unit. Well done! That's quite a way to start off this army, looking forward to watching it grow if this is what we can expect :D
As for the banner I like Farnsworth's idea of the castle but does sound like some hard work.
Oh and definitely leave the bases as they are, they look good like that :)

Ganymene
28-10-2009, 11:21
The Grave Guard look great! All the purples and gold really mesh well together in the unit.

I think the brown bases are fine. The brown adds a touch of dirt to the rocks and grass.

As for the banner, if you don't feel up to painting a ridiculous freehand design, you could always come up with a symbol (perhaps a rune or something) to represent your Vampire Lord and paint it in blood (red) on the banner.

Anardakil
28-10-2009, 14:18
I agree. The grave guards look great :) And the colour scheme works very well.

Rochie83
28-10-2009, 14:28
That was my conclusion as well.

That's a pretty sweet idea, Rochie. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of extra High Elf models (my only other Fantasy 'army'), but plenty of extra 40k models. Would look a bit off ;)

~Manus

If we could arrange how the hell i'd get them to ya, i've boxes of spare plastic fantasy stuff comin outta my ears (i used to work in a gw store many moons ago, back when the staff discount made it worthwhile being there!)

ManusMarines
28-10-2009, 19:56
They're some quality grave guard! They've turned out really well and are very characterful. Well done.

I personally like the bases as is - maybe I'd still be worried about darkening the whole unit, but I think they blend in just nicely as is.

Are you any good at freehand work? If so, I really like some of the "silhouetted castle in front of the moon" banners, but they do take a lot of work (and I've never been happy with my efforts.)

Alternatively, you could alawys go for the classic white skull, black background or some random white or red characters or symbols - not as effective, but can still look ok.

My freehand work is sketchy at best (no pun intended). I will definitely be drawing out stuff on paper beforehand. I might try my luck at creating a more anatomically correct skull than the one I have on my Imperial Guard Basilisk.

That's a really great looking unit. Well done! That's quite a way to start off this army, looking forward to watching it grow if this is what we can expect :D
As for the banner I like Farnsworth's idea of the castle but does sound like some hard work.
Oh and definitely leave the bases as they are, they look good like that :)

Thanks, Elazar. I'm glad to hear the bases blend nicely. I just might have to try my hand at the castle banner, but I might save that for the BSB :)

The Grave Guard look great! All the purples and gold really mesh well together in the unit.

I think the brown bases are fine. The brown adds a touch of dirt to the rocks and grass.

As for the banner, if you don't feel up to painting a ridiculous freehand design, you could always come up with a symbol (perhaps a rune or something) to represent your Vampire Lord and paint it in blood (red) on the banner.

The rune/symbol is a fantastic idea! Slightly less imposing than freehand work. Hmmm....just need to think what would adequately represent the Von Dreisel clan. Time to search German/Russian/Romanian coat of arms...

I agree. The grave guards look great :) And the colour scheme works very well.

Thanks for the comment, Anardakil! Good to see everyone is digging the purple.

If we could arrange how the hell i'd get them to ya, i've boxes of spare plastic fantasy stuff comin outta my ears (i used to work in a gw store many moons ago, back when the staff discount made it worthwhile being there!)

:eek: *droooooools* We should talk more :)

EDIT: I'm really liking Galeforce Nine's Winter/Dead grass. Adds just enough color without it looking too green.

ManusMarines
28-10-2009, 21:01
So I've been working on getting some of the other models together, specifically those that require some Green Stuff work, and here is what I've accomplished thus far.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC029.jpg
Varghulf is put together and glued/GS'd tightly. If I have enough time I'm going to stop and grab some cork from a craft store to make a raised cliff/hill top for him to be gazing over. If not, I'll pick it up tomorrow.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC030.jpg
Corpse Cart. The front two missing zombies, the necromancer, and the dragging corpses are all unattached for painting purposes.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC031.jpg
Another view.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC032.jpg
Green Stuff work on the base. Essentially it will be two wheel tracks, and the 3 small green stuff blobs in the middle will be muddy/dirty terrain to match the tracks. The rest will be based in my other base colors.

Hopefully I'll get to base coat today, if not tomorrow. Stupid rain.. Off to class!

~Manus

Rochie83
28-10-2009, 23:38
:eek: *droooooools* We should talk more :)

well wipe your mouth and we're in business!
on the subject of freehand work, i dunno if it'll help, but we use stuff called thermafax paper for applying tattoo stencils, it's kinda like carbon paper but makes more precise copies. I've not tried it yet myself, as i prefer totem style standards, but if you're interested, pm me and i'll try help you track some down...

ManusMarines
31-10-2009, 06:57
*UPDATE*

No pics at the moment, but I have been busy.

I finished putting together the Skeleton Warriors regiment. 20 Skellies with spears need to be based, and base coated, and then I shall start painting them.

I also did manage to get the Corpse Cart and Vlad basecoated. I think I'm going to save Vlad, as well as the 5 models from Reaper coming my way as "rewards" for getting regiments painted. That means I WILL be painting Vlad up soon, as I did finish the Grave Guard.

I'm still working on the Varghulf base. I think I'm switching from "Standing on a rock" to "meandering through a graveyard". We'll see how things work out.

Pics up tomorrow of progress, assuming I'm not completely worn out from all-day Airsoft.

Cheers!
~Manus

ManusMarines
02-11-2009, 17:33
*UPDATE*

Painting progress has been lacking due to some due dates for school projects fast approaching, but I have been building like a maniac!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC033.jpg
Skellies!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC034.jpg
I love the look of infantry w/ spears.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC035.jpg
Zombies!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC036.jpg
The unit filler in the back consists of two zombies fighting over a better weapon.

Hopefully I'll get some painting started on the Corpse Cart, or even Vlad tonight.

~Manus

Daniel36
02-11-2009, 20:35
I really really REALLY like the purple and gold on your Undead. It looks almost ethereal.

Not sure about the banner though. Is it going to stay grey? Because that just doesn't suit the rest of the regiment at all...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my Wood Elves, heheh...

ManusMarines
03-11-2009, 00:57
I really really REALLY like the purple and gold on your Undead. It looks almost ethereal.

Not sure about the banner though. Is it going to stay grey? Because that just doesn't suit the rest of the regiment at all...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my Wood Elves, heheh...

Thanks, Daniel! The Purple/Gold scheme was based off of the Praetorian scheme in Gladiator, but I see what you mean about the Ethereal-ness. Hadn't noticed that before. Woot!

The banner will definitely be painted up proper in the future. I'm still debating about what to place on there. For the meantime, it will remain gray.

Farnsworth
03-11-2009, 06:34
Yup, spear armed infantry do look better than usual handweapons/shields. Too bad they suck in the actual game!!!

So how did you paint up the bone on your skellys? It looks more sharply shaded than most I've seen (not that that's a bad thing.)

Like to corpse cart base too. Is it supposed to be on an actual road? If not, then it wouldn't have wheel tracks both in front and behind the wheels?

Can't wait to see the Vargulf painted. Those things are a pain to assemble.

Keep the updates coming. . .

Ganymene
03-11-2009, 08:44
Zombies! ...and they're marching through a field of sesame seeds! :wtf:

The undead are coming along nicely. I really like the Zombie horde, it looks like a very cohesive unit (especially with the brawl in the back). I also really like the look of those Skeletons, they should look very nice once painted up.

ManusMarines
03-11-2009, 11:11
Yup, spear armed infantry do look better than usual handweapons/shields. Too bad they suck in the actual game!!!

So how did you paint up the bone on your skellys? It looks more sharply shaded than most I've seen (not that that's a bad thing.)

Like to corpse cart base too. Is it supposed to be on an actual road? If not, then it wouldn't have wheel tracks both in front and behind the wheels?

Can't wait to see the Vargulf painted. Those things are a pain to assemble.

Keep the updates coming. . .

Thanks, Farnsworth! Like my Grave Guard, I intend to pick up at least one more box of Skellies and equip them as HW/Shield, that way I can switch out whether they are spears/HW in game. Or I'll just buy two boxes and run two units ;).

Bone was done as follows: Chaos Black undercoat, Khemri Brown base coat, Gryphonne Sepia wash (heavy), Bleached Bone overbrush, Skull White drybrush/highlight.

The Corpse Cart base is indeed supposed to be an already traveled path.

Varghulf is my next target, once I figure out a base for him.

Zombies! ...and they're marching through a field of sesame seeds! :wtf:

The undead are coming along nicely. I really like the Zombie horde, it looks like a very cohesive unit (especially with the brawl in the back). I also really like the look of those Skeletons, they should look very nice once painted up.

Thanks, Kory. Speaking of Sesame seeds, I might try throwing some into my basing mix in order to give it some pizzaz!

Elazar The Glorified
03-11-2009, 13:24
I like the Corpse Cart base, looks really promising and the two units look great. Like the little zombie battle in the back there. Adds a lot of character to the unit.
There is definitely something about a unit of spearmen, it has a real look to it that's hard to match. Sadly a look I can't replicate in my WoC army :(
Anyhow! Get painting!

ManusMarines
08-11-2009, 17:37
Oh look, an update!

School work has kept me from putting paint to model, but I did manage to start on the Corpse Cart and Vlad last night. They are still very much PiP.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC037.jpg
Vlad von Dreisel.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC038.jpg

He's still missing all of his washes/highlights/touchups, obviously. I'm kind of liking the pale gray skin. I might add a little Graveyard Earth to make him look a little more alive, but the gray seems good. Thoughts?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC039.jpg

The wood on the Cart is still missing washes and an overbrush of a slightly darker brown, but it is slowly coming together.

I'm thinking of having the two torches with standard red/yellow/orange flames, but having the center Balefire upgrade radiating a purple light.

Hopefully more painting tonight!
~Manus

Lunar
08-11-2009, 19:10
Really nice work there, love the purple on the Grave Guard. I agree with not leaving the banner grey, it doesn't suit the Grave Guard at all, but still, your painting is amazing.

ManusMarines
08-11-2009, 19:34
Really nice work there, love the purple on the Grave Guard. I agree with not leaving the banner grey, it doesn't suit the Grave Guard at all, but still, your painting is amazing.

Thanks for the compliment, Lunar! I'm still going through designs in my head of what banner to give the guard. I'll start sketching some things soon and hopefully post a few pics of my thoughts.

ManusMarines
09-11-2009, 01:48
I was able to get a bunch of work done on Vlad. So much so, that he's complete!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC040.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC041.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC042.jpg

I did end up going with a slightly browner skin. I mean, he is a vampire, but still must have a little bit of color to him ;)

I will most likely be putting the same effect on his sword that will eventually be on the Grave Guard blades....as soon as I figure out what that will be.

Time to work on the corpse cart!

ManusMarines
10-11-2009, 17:36
After browsing the Black Knights models, I find myself once again disliking the current offerings. The comical, cheesy nature of the skeletal steeds, as well as the early 90's look to the wight riders leaves me wanting something more.

Thus, I will be making another model substitution. And in order to further bring the army together, I will be using another Lord of The Rings product: Riders of the dead!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/m2420039_99061466032_LoTRRiderOfThe.jpg
Credit - Games Workshop

The rider will be painted in a similar style to the Grave Guard, both in armor and skin/bones. Unsure on the horse scheme. Since they are (mostly) ethereal, I might paint them in the traditional ethereal gray/green (Statue of Liberty Green, as I call it).

They will obviously be mounted on cavalry bases.

Tenebre99
11-11-2009, 04:54
I agree with you 100 percent on the lotr models being better choices. Im curious though how do they stack up scale wise compared to the gw models?

ManusMarines
11-11-2009, 17:18
I agree with you 100 percent on the lotr models being better choices. Im curious though how do they stack up scale wise compared to the gw models?

Scale wise they stack up just fine. The rider blends in perfectly, and I'd even go so far as to say that if they Grave Guard models weren't so damn cool, that I would be using the Army of the Dead figures as GG.

Still working on the Corpse Cart. Deciding on what zombie flesh color to use is slowing me down. Should make some good progress on it tonight, though. If I get the chance I will also paint up the Rider of the Dead to get a preview of the whole eventual Black Knight unit.

~Manus

No-One
16-11-2009, 08:39
you could always go with multiple colors for the zombies, i mean, contrary to alot of GW/real world stuff, people come in a bunch of different skin tones, so that in itself can make a variety for you

ManusMarines
23-11-2009, 06:15
you could always go with multiple colors for the zombies, i mean, contrary to alot of GW/real world stuff, people come in a bunch of different skin tones, so that in itself can make a variety for you

Definitely a good idea.

School work (and Modern Warfare 2 :p), and a lack of decent priming weather have kept my painting low. I am still building things, but work is slow.

Thanksgiving break will hopefully see the completion of the Corpse Cart (and basecoating of other stuff), as well as a hopeful arrival of my Reaper order. I need more vamps!

~Manus

Spar666rawk
23-11-2009, 08:55
nice stuff so far. i really want to see those LOTR ghost. but i must say that i'm skeptic about the blend in of the scale... i tried similar stuff with blend o GW and LOTR minis and wasn't satisfied with the result. hope ull change all that :)

ps: Subscriptioned :P

try my log here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218145) - got some VC stuff there

cheers :D

ManusMarines
24-11-2009, 11:32
nice stuff so far. i really want to see those LOTR ghost. but i must say that i'm skeptic about the blend in of the scale... i tried similar stuff with blend o GW and LOTR minis and wasn't satisfied with the result. hope ull change all that :)

ps: Subscriptioned :P

Thanks, Spar! I was skeptical at first (and still am of the Army of The Dead figures), but as far as the Riders of the Dead are concerned, they seem to blend in decently well. Their scale matches that of the Grave Guard. They look the proper size to be armored Wights on horses.

The only problem with their scale is if you set them next to the Zombies (which are freakishly huge!!!) or the Dire Wolves (also, freakishly huge). Everything else seems to blend in well.

try my log here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218145) - got some VC stuff there

cheers :D

Some good stuff there already. Keep up the good work!

ManusMarines
06-12-2009, 00:54
ZOMG, WHAT IS THAT?

IS....IS THAT AN UPDATE?

Yes, yes it is!

School work (especially this upcoming week's finals) have kept me at bay from updating for a long while. However, writer's block on a paper due Monday has inspired me to update with what I have accomplished!

Presenting the (majority of) Family von Dreisel! Huzzah for finally receiving my Reaper order!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC047.jpg
Johan von Dreisel, scholar of the Black Arts. Although he stands a full head taller than Vlad, I absolutely had to get this model. He has Mutton Chops for goodness sake!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC045.jpg
Anton von Dreisel, shadowy assassin. Awesome little scouter/assassin type model.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC046.jpg
Annabelle von Dreisel, concubine of Vlad. Yes, she is actually wearing a dress, perv!

Mikhail, Patriarch of the von Dreisel clan has yet to be assembled, and the same fate has been assigned to Gregor for the time being.

Also, the great fallen king, Nebuchenezzar has answered the von Dreisel call!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC043.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC044.jpg

The model is absolutely huge, but amazing. (Yes, that IS a 50mm base!) Can't wait to paint it up. And I definitely still need to do some GS work on the dragon's severed neck.

ManusMarines
06-12-2009, 01:00
That's not all folks!

I have also recently finished the Varghulf basing (besides the actual sand). It's pretty simple, but I think it works pretty well.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC048.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC049.jpg

I also have the current status of the Corpse Cart to show!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC050.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC051.jpg

The white flames will be a standard Red/Orange/Yellow flame scheme, while the central purple flame will be further highlighted with a lighter purple, and perhaps some white. The cart is still very much PIP, having received no detail or wash work as of yet.

As well as the nefarious Necromancer driving the cart:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC052.jpg

The Necro's status is much the same as the Cart: No detail and wash work done yet.

Once finals are over with I will be basing everything currently assembled, and then hitting them all with some basecoat. I aim to get me some painting done this Christmas break!

Stay tuned!

~Manus

Spar666rawk
06-12-2009, 07:27
uuuu, an update :D

great HQ minis u got there. cant wait to see them all finished up :)

could u put in some more pic of that amazing fallen king Nebuchenezzar, showing more angels of him ?? and as far for the neck why don't u try putting some scavenger, dont know, some dogs, maybe a vulture feasting on the remains off the neck ??

p.s: i know u didn't ask for some suggestions, but i couldn't resist :D

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 05:41
uuuu, an update :D

great HQ minis u got there. cant wait to see them all finished up :)

could u put in some more pic of that amazing fallen king Nebuchenezzar, showing more angels of him ?? and as far for the neck why don't u try putting some scavenger, dont know, some dogs, maybe a vulture feasting on the remains off the neck ??

p.s: i know u didn't ask for some suggestions, but i couldn't resist :D

About time, right? Haha.

I appreciate the suggestions. I was thinking of putting the small rats that come w/ the Corpse Cart on/around the dragon's head, as a vulture is a bit out of my sculpting skill.

I will gladly post some more pics of the King, as well as a scale comparison in just a short bit.

Elazar The Glorified
07-12-2009, 06:18
About time, right? Haha.

I appreciate the suggestions. I was thinking of putting the small rats that come w/ the Corpse Cart on/around the dragon's head, as a vulture is a bit out of my sculpting skill.

I will gladly post some more pics of the King, as well as a scale comparison in just a short bit.

Lots of cool looking minis to paint and the corpse cart looks as if you've made a good start. If it's any help, there's a vulture on the Giant sprues as well as a crow...

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 06:59
Lots of cool looking minis to paint and the corpse cart looks as if you've made a good start. If it's any help, there's a vulture on the Giant sprues as well as a crow...

...don't temp me. Hmm...Vampire Giant? New counts-as-Varghulf?

*Muahahahahaha*

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 07:14
What's this? Two updates in two days? INCONCEIVABLE!

Well, not really.

Introducing the FULL family portrait of the progeny of Vlad; The von Dreisel Family.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC053.jpg

Mikhail von Dreisel, the most powerful and senior vampire spawned by Vlad.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC054.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC055.jpg

Gregor von Dreisel, second of the von Dreisel progeny. He is the most martial of the brothers.
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC056.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC057.jpg

Also...the von Dreisels sure like capes!

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 07:16
As per Spar's request, here are some more shots of the Wight King!

Scale shot. Yes, he's THAT big!
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC058.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC059.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC060.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC061.jpg

Here's hoping for a chance to basecoat tomorrow, because they guys look too awesome to not be painting them right now.

Spar666rawk
07-12-2009, 07:24
thx m8 :)

ah yes, the good old swarm of rats, or just a few big ones, who cares...

i say u do that, cant wait to see this thing all done. hope it'll be soon :D

No-One
07-12-2009, 07:32
I look forward to seeing the "family" painted up, good choices, Reaper has a bunch of really cool vampire models, i've painted a few myself

awesome conversion on the the wight king, very good job, well done, i definately look forward to seeing it painted up, i suggest rats on the base, but if you can find a small crow, drill out the eye on the dragon's head and greenstuff it having been chewed/pecked out, the crow having a bloody beak, you might be able to find a good crow model in the familiar packs from Reaper, or failing that, like Elazar said, theres a crow in the Giant set

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 08:54
thx m8 :)

ah yes, the good old swarm of rats, or just a few big ones, who cares...

i say u do that, cant wait to see this thing all done. hope it'll be soon :D

I hope so too! I aim to get everything properly based and basecoated in the next few days, as this is finals week and free time will be tight. I'm currently taking a break from studying for my test in 3 hours time. Go all nighters!

I look forward to seeing the "family" painted up, good choices, Reaper has a bunch of really cool vampire models, i've painted a few myself

awesome conversion on the the wight king, very good job, well done, i definately look forward to seeing it painted up, i suggest rats on the base, but if you can find a small crow, drill out the eye on the dragon's head and greenstuff it having been chewed/pecked out, the crow having a bloody beak, you might be able to find a good crow model in the familiar packs from Reaper, or failing that, like Elazar said, theres a crow in the Giant set

That is going to be one evil family portrait! ;) And I absolutely love the Reaper range. I've used their range exclusively for all my D&D needs.

I am seriously considering that Giant kit now. Damn you, guys! Perhaps I'll hit the local game store some time today. Oh boy..

Back to studying!

Elazar The Glorified
07-12-2009, 08:57
I am seriously considering that Giant kit now. Damn you, guys! Perhaps I'll hit the local game store some time today. Oh boy..

Back to studying!

The giant kit actually has lots of cool little bits for theming Vampire Counts bases etc. There's the vulture, the crow, a gibbet with a skeleton in, and a skeleton signpost all of the top of my head. Seeing as your corpse cart is on a dirt road the sign post would make a lovely addition to the side of the base maybe...

:)

ManusMarines
07-12-2009, 10:19
The giant kit actually has lots of cool little bits for theming Vampire Counts bases etc. There's the vulture, the crow, a gibbet with a skeleton in, and a skeleton signpost all of the top of my head. Seeing as your corpse cart is on a dirt road the sign post would make a lovely addition to the side of the base maybe...

:)

Stop tempting me to spend money!

Wait. On second thought, don't! If only there were a game store open at 6:20am EST...

Meraklis
09-12-2009, 23:39
very nice conversions!
is the wight king also a conversion?

ManusMarines
10-12-2009, 03:59
very nice conversions!
is the wight king also a conversion?

Thanks, Meraklis!

The Wight King, besides the Dragon head, is actually the standard miniature that Reaper makes, called Golgoth The Ancient. Awesome model.

And as a random note, I did end up picking up a Giant kit. OMFG, the kit-bashing opportunities.

I will indeed be modeling him as a giant (no pun intended) vampire, and will either have him work as a counts-as Varghulf, or a Dogs of War giant who happens to pick up random people to use a blood juice-boxes. Om nom nom...wait, what's the "Om nom nom" equivalent for drinking something?

Also, FINALS ARE DONE WITH! Now I have no excuses to not work on my minis. Someone just needs to kick my butt into gear every so often.

Updates tomorrow? I think so!

~Manus

No-One
10-12-2009, 04:08
slurp slurp slurp?

good choice on picking up the giant kit, while personally i think the giant itself is a little lame looking, all the nifty extras are great! i second the idea of using the signpost on your corpse cart base

look forward to seeing these guys painted!

Spar666rawk
10-12-2009, 07:01
i must ask u - how much did that kit cost u ??

and could u give us (me :D) a short list of what all goodis are within :)

ManusMarines
10-12-2009, 07:21
i must ask u - how much did that kit cost u ??

and could u give us (me :D) a short list of what all goodis are within :)

I assume you mean the Giant kit?

Kit is only $45 US.

Well besides the Giant himself, the kit includes the following:
1x Vulture
1x Crow
Random Shields & bits o' armor
Miscellaneous arrows and pitchforks
Wooden cage
Empire citizen running away (fits inside the cage)
Skeleton in some sort of locked iron restraints
A cow (yes..a cow)
A squished goblin
A bag full of people
A tied up goat
Random extra Giant weapons
Sign Post w/ an awesome skeleton (will post pictures of it attached to the Corpse Cart base tomorrow)
Other miscellaneous bits and such
Oh, and a special 50x70mm (ish?) predecorated base.

Phew.

In the process of basing everything as I type this. Just finishing off the 2x Dire Wolf unit movement trays, and will probably stop there for the night. Ghouls will have to wait until tomorrow morning after class.

Furnace guy is coming out to check on things, so after he's gone I'll be priming inside. At the very least, all of my character models and the Dire Wolf units will be primed, as well as the Skeleton and Zombie units that have been patiently waiting for weeks now.

Phew, once again.

~Manus

ManusMarines
10-12-2009, 07:24
slurp slurp slurp?

good choice on picking up the giant kit, while personally i think the giant itself is a little lame looking, all the nifty extras are great! i second the idea of using the signpost on your corpse cart base

look forward to seeing these guys painted!

Ug glug glug?

Urp slurp slurp?

Meditate on this, I will.

Definitely going w/ the skele-sign post.

And definitely painting up one of the characters tomorrow. I think I "earned" it after all this Finals nonsense ;)

ManusMarines
13-12-2009, 01:35
Update!

I finally managed to base just about everything in my army that has been sitting aside and get everything basecoated!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC062.jpg

Here is everything besides the Ghouls and second Skeleton unit (which still need to be built). I love ArmyPainter primer.

And, as I said, I managed to start and finishing painting the Senior von Dreisel vampire: Mikhail!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC063.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC064.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC065.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC066.jpg

Thoughts?

I will most likely be starting on the Skeletons next, as I love the spears unit.

~Manus

Ganymene
13-12-2009, 08:02
Looks good!

I really like the red eyes, they are a very nice touch. I also like the gold armor, it is very fitting for a patriarch.

I'm curious, the cloak looks really shiny. Did you gloss over it to protect it, or is it going to remain like that?

Spar666rawk
13-12-2009, 11:01
looking good. love the face of the vamp, especially the teeth :D

but i still wona see the big guy him self (did u put rats on the neck? can u show us??) :D

ManusMarines
13-12-2009, 22:08
Looks good!

I really like the red eyes, they are a very nice touch. I also like the gold armor, it is very fitting for a patriarch.

I'm curious, the cloak looks really shiny. Did you gloss over it to protect it, or is it going to remain like that?

Thanks, Kory. I'm honestly not sure why the cloak is especially shiny. It was just washed with Leviathan Purple, just like Vlad's cloak was. Eventually all my metal models are going to get the Gloss/Matte varnish treatment to protect them.

looking good. love the face of the vamp, especially the teeth :D

but i still wona see the big guy him self (did u put rats on the neck? can u show us??) :D

Nebuch will make an appearance shortly. I ended up putting the little vulture from the giant sprue on his neck. Give me a few minutes and I'll put up a pic or two.

ManusMarines
13-12-2009, 22:12
Also, I'm not really sure about Mikhail's purple Neckerchief/Dickie. Does the purple work with the model, or would white suit it better?

No-One
13-12-2009, 22:39
the purple dickie looks good to me, it ties in well with the all cloth being purple thing you have going so IMHO it fits the model well

ManusMarines
13-12-2009, 23:17
As promised, here is a closer picture of Nebuch's vulture addition.

It will definitely be clearer once I get around to painting it.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC067.jpg

Spar666rawk
14-12-2009, 10:49
that looks GREAT !! it realy does. . . :D

now for a noob q - what does IMHO means ??

cant wait till this thing is all done and posted here :D

hurry up will u :p

No-One
14-12-2009, 11:42
IMHO = In My Honest/Humble Opinion

and Manus, i second Spar666rawk, hurry up and paint! :D

looking forward to seeing your work mate, loving everything so far, as i've said before

ManusMarines
15-12-2009, 08:49
that looks GREAT !! it realy does. . . :D

now for a noob q - what does IMHO means ??

cant wait till this thing is all done and posted here :D

hurry up will u :p

IMHO = In My Honest/Humble Opinion

and Manus, i second Spar666rawk, hurry up and paint! :D

looking forward to seeing your work mate, loving everything so far, as i've said before

Are you gentlemen suggesting I put off painting my rank and file models to do another character model? PREPOSTEROUS! :rolleyes:

Perhaps I will do Nebuch next..

Spar666rawk
15-12-2009, 12:59
well post something will u :p

just kidding :D

do ur best on all the models, dont mind us :)

ManusMarines
17-12-2009, 11:27
well post something will u :p

just kidding :D

do ur best on all the models, dont mind us :)

I suppose I should take a break from the new WoW patch and get back to painting. Damn you, Blizzard. Damn you.

Expect PiP, if not completed shots of my skele unit tonight.

Nebuch will be following his lesser skeleton brethren on the painting table ;)

Spar666rawk
17-12-2009, 12:19
so u are also corrupted by the wow curse :p

what server do u play on ? :D

hope ull get them tonight

ManusMarines
17-12-2009, 21:41
so u are also corrupted by the wow curse :p

what server do u play on ? :D

hope ull get them tonight

I've been corrupted by the WoW curse since launch day, 5 years ago. I've broken the curse for 9-12 month hiatus periods at a time, but it always draws me back in.

I initially was on the Eonar server, but now I'm on Arygos.

Skele progress will be posted tonight (in a few hours time)!

ManusMarines
18-12-2009, 09:05
Well, that plan failed.

Between squeezing in some Christmas shopping, logging a short hour or two on WoW and falling asleep once or twice, I only managed to get the bones painted on the skeleton unit.

I still need to do all the skull white highlights, but the bones are 2/3rds done at the moment. I also readied all the areas where I will be adding the army color of purple.

I will be posting pictures "tomorrow" (relative statement, as it's already 5:00am here) after I get home from work. Bones, initial purple, and beginnings of metallics will be completed.

Ugh...I need to sleep.

~Manus

ManusMarines
21-12-2009, 17:47
*UPDATE*

Finally getting around to posting the pics I promised a few days ago.

Despite falling into one of my "I have no urge to paint" moods, I did manage to get everything but the final washes, highlights, and basing done on the skeleton unit. Huzzah!

The skellies are looking slightly too white for my tastes, so I might be hitting them with a Bleached Bone wash (thanks, Ganymene), or might just leave them as is. Opinions?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC068.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC069.jpg

Once I finish my Christmas shopping tonight, I aim to get the washing and highlighting done, if not the entirety of the unit (Including the movement tray). Hopefully.

Cheers!
~Manus

Ganymene
21-12-2009, 19:25
I think if you took just one and tried a few things out, it would be easier to decide.

The gold is very nice though, I didn't realize how shiny it was before all those washes were applied.

Magic Karl
21-12-2009, 19:38
My skeletons are basecoated Black, with Bestial brown as a next-up and the highlight is dwarf flesh, (extremes with a bit of bleached bone). This effect I LOVE becuase it's the total opposite of the GW standard white ones, these look like they've been buried for thousands of years.

Farnsworth
21-12-2009, 19:47
Nice looking skellingtons - They do look very white, put it's hard to say if they're too white. How about posting a couple minis next to a grave guard, to compare the bone?

Nice plog, not checked in for a while, but it's looking great!!!

Keep 'em coming.

ManusMarines
22-12-2009, 01:12
I think if you took just one and tried a few things out, it would be easier to decide.

The gold is very nice though, I didn't realize how shiny it was before all those washes were applied.

Hence the name "Shining Gold" ;) Seriously though, it is rather shiny. While great for Glory Boy marines, it doesn't really fit in with an undead force. It really makes it feel more ancient and battleworn once the Badab Black makes an appearance.

My skeletons are basecoated Black, with Bestial brown as a next-up and the highlight is dwarf flesh, (extremes with a bit of bleached bone). This effect I LOVE becuase it's the total opposite of the GW standard white ones, these look like they've been buried for thousands of years.

Hmm, interesting bone colors! I might have to knock up a test mini to give it a better look-see. I've been doing my bone as follows: Black basecoat, Khemri Brown undercoat, Gryphonne Sepia wash, Bleached Bone dry brush, skull white dry brush. The Grave Guard were done in the same fashion, but their heavily washed armor makes them seem duller, IMHO.

Nice looking skellingtons - They do look very white, put it's hard to say if they're too white. How about posting a couple minis next to a grave guard, to compare the bone?

Nice plog, not checked in for a while, but it's looking great!!!

Keep 'em coming.

Thanks for stopping by! As I said above, I think it's the lack of armor, as well as washes that are making them appear extra white, as the GG are done in the same scheme.

Spar666rawk
22-12-2009, 10:09
id say go with bleached bone wash, then maybe some highlights with mix of bleach bone and skull white, other than that, id leave them the way they are

p.s: but i still wona see those characters :D ;)

cheers

@Magic Karl: where can ur skelies be seen ??

ManusMarines
02-02-2010, 23:08
ZOMG, an actual update!

School (and Mass Effect 2..and Modern Warfare 2) have kept me busy and out of a painting mood. I do, however, have a few small updates for you guys.

First off: I started the Varghulf! He is missing base work, and some more detail work. Don't worry about the ridiculously bright-white pieces on the model, as they will be taken down to a washed, bleached-bone type color. I also aim to make his teeth slightly bloody, and perhaps throw some sort of shredded animal on his base. RAWR!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC071.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC072.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC073.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/VC074.jpg

Secondly, my Skeleton regiment is missing the final gold highlights and some grass on their bases and they will be complete! Huzzah!

~Manus

Ganymene
03-02-2010, 01:35
The Varghulf is coming along nicely.

I think it would look awesome with some glowing eyes. They would provide a nice contrast with the muted colors of his fur and wings.

No-One
04-02-2010, 10:11
w00t! progress!!!

good to see this hasn't fallen by the wayside, and i feel your pain about Modern Warfare 2, its addictive, worse than crack-cocaine lol

i look forward to some shots of the skeletons!

ManusMarines
04-02-2010, 18:04
The Varghulf is coming along nicely.

I think it would look awesome with some glowing eyes. They would provide a nice contrast with the muted colors of his fur and wings.

I agree. Stick with the red eyes of the rest of the vampires, or go with something else?

w00t! progress!!!

good to see this hasn't fallen by the wayside, and i feel your pain about Modern Warfare 2, its addictive, worse than crack-cocaine lol

i look forward to some shots of the skeletons!

Thanks, No-One! My logs never truly die, just get pushed aside by school, videogames, or a combination of the two.

Ganymene
05-02-2010, 08:49
I agree. Stick with the red eyes of the rest of the vampires, or go with something else?

Hmm, I think red would definitely tie in nicely with the other Vampires. I do, however, think that glowing green eyes would contrast better as far as the colors go.

It really comes down to whichever you prefer. But, If you want the eyes to be a focal point, go with green. If you want them to tie in with all the other Vampires, go with red.

Of course, you could always go with something completely different like black gloss...

ManusMarines
30-08-2010, 01:17
*UPDATE*

My painting juices are once again flowing, as all three of my logs have seen updates. Work continues on the undead legions, and the completed Varghulf finally emerges!

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/Vampire%20Counts/100_0472.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk232/osupoker85/Vampire%20Counts/100_0473.jpg

That's all for now! Once I get a less humid day, I shall be basecoating like mad. Until then, enjoy.

~Manus

benvoliothefirst
13-09-2011, 02:27
I have been thoroughly enjoying your thread... beautiful work! I love your color scheme, VERY glad you went with the purple... I haven't seen any other purple undead armies as other have mentioned. To me it's a very novel and well -executed idea. Keep up the great work!

ManusMarines
14-09-2011, 00:22
Thanks, Benvolio!

I haven't made much progress on the VC (read: at all) since my last post over a year ago, as I have been focusing on painting up my Tyranids, video-gaming, and just recently, starting a massive repaint of my Ultramarines.

I haven't forgotten the undead. They are just slumbering at the moment ;)