PDA

View Full Version : Skeletons: spear or sword?

Magic Karl
17-10-2009, 16:15
As I recently bought a VC battalion, I am wondring whether to assemble the 20 skeletons as suggested int he title. Now I'm not a fan of spears, especially given that skeletons are more of a bog down unit it seems... the anvil perhaps. Is it worth the extra point per unit, or should I add to my existing swords, bootsing to 33 (or more depending on fillers)?

Phytrion
17-10-2009, 18:59
You definitely want to go with swords. The +1 armor save in hand to hand is crucial. Skeletons aren't supposed to cause wounds, they either need to bog down a unit so you can get a flank charge off or as a transport for a vampire(s) and he'll cause your wounds.

PeG
17-10-2009, 20:17
Swords are more useful for the extra save. The point with skeleton is to not give away CR by dying. If you want to kill things ghouls are better.

The extra attacks from spears are only useful if they actually kill something which they normally dont do. I can see them work against a few enemies such as skaven slaves, zombies and similar things but normally they dont do anything.

Harwammer
17-10-2009, 20:34
Spears are also good if the skeletons are facing str6+ enemies.

Generally sword + shield works better. Skeletons should be used to max frienly CR while giving away as little CR as possible.

Magic Karl
17-10-2009, 20:47
Thanks, I thought so too.. but so many people choose spears over swords that I thought there may be a hidden tactical advantage

shredshredxx
17-10-2009, 21:50
you've got it exactly right, they're meant to be used as an anvil, to hold the enemy unit in place so you han hit it in the flank with something scary.

so the extra armour save from hand weapon+shield is definitely more important.

the only reason people would choose spears is because they look cooler.

which is also debatable. hahaha

Friendly
17-10-2009, 22:08
Well here are my two cents.

If you have a heavy magic list, you could start off with a unit of 10 skeletons with spears and then use IoN to raise it. So it would only be a small amount of extra points in the beginning.

Having the option to choose spears or hw/shield in combat is always good, because if you're against attacks that are -3 AS, hw/shield won't do much good anyways. One example I can think of quickly would be white lions.

Leo85
18-10-2009, 04:43
Spend as little much points on your core, remember VC armies are raised from the ground during the game :p and its free too XD

Spar666rawk
22-12-2009, 10:15
sorry for posting here, but i just saw u commenting on ManusMarines's thread of Skelies, and i got interested about ur skely bone painting... and i wonted to know where can i find pictures of ur skelies ??

Gokamok
22-12-2009, 13:20
@Spar666rawk:
Just send the guy a PM, it's much easier, and you won't need to apologize;)

On topic, I often run some of my Skeletons with spears. Since I tend to start out with small units and raise them up, it is only a marginal points investment, and spears tend to be a better option against other crappy troops, as well as some elites as has already been pointed out.

This being said, I've recently moved to the "Ghoul Camp", since Ghouls are probably the better option against the armies VC struggle against.

thenurgler
26-12-2009, 07:49
I always take spears. The amount of damage that you deal doubling is much more important than the increased armor save.

Skeletons are meant not to die. But they do get some kills, every little bit helps win combat. And the bottom line is the amount of enemies killed by the extra rank of attacks will usually be greater than the amount saved by the hand weapon and shields.

PeG
26-12-2009, 09:37
Spears are also good if the skeletons are facing str6+ enemies.

If you are facing S6 enemies your extra attacks from spears are not likely to kill anything anyway and you have wasted your points.

The only time spears actually kill things are against really bad enemies and then you should be able to win anyway with static CR and fear.

klini
26-12-2009, 10:47
Sword and shield every day. As said, skellies are supposed to take the enemy and hold them in place for other units to get a flankcharge and break them. When I have been facing VC, most of the time skellies actually kill something it is because they run them down due to fear.

Grebulon
26-12-2009, 15:48
I think spears can be useful if you use the Crown of Command, because even though they are still strength 3 a unit of weapon skill 6 or so skeletons can be pretty good. The extra armour save does sound tempting though[/I]

Nurgling Chieftain
26-12-2009, 18:42
If you are facing S6 enemies your extra attacks from spears are not likely to kill anything anyway and you have wasted your points.I don't know about that. A lot of S6 out there is armed with great weapons, so you'll get to go first, and not all that tough, either, typically boasting T4 and a 4+ or 5+ save. You've got a reasonable chance of causing a wound.

PeG
26-12-2009, 19:16
assuming that the skellies are 5 wide you get 5 extra attacks. Best case scenario is that you also have WS 6 or 7 from crown meaning that you hit on 3+, against a T4 you wound on 5+ and then a 4+ save resulting in on average 0,5 wounds.

Nurgling Chieftain
26-12-2009, 20:49
I'd call that a reasonable chance, especially given that that wound might turn the combat resolution and is almost certainly worth over ten points, meaning you need at most a couple to make up the points cost of the spears.