PDA

View Full Version : Orcs+Goblins Questions Thread!

zeekill
17-10-2009, 18:45
So I was thinking of starting a thread that is sort of a tactica-oriented FAQ.

Just post whatever questions you want here and people will probably give you some ideas.

Here are my first 2 questions:

1) As Orcs and Goblins what is the best way to take out an Empire Steam Tank? I cant think of any good way.

2) What is better to equip your orc boyz with? There are two paths which are either Shields for a 4+ AS, or Extra Choppas, for 2 Attacks each. Which is the overall best? I'm thinking the extra choppas because Orcs are only good in combat when they charge because they get to go first in addition to being S4, so I would want to take as much advantage as that as possible. But I have been both agreed with and told otherwise. What do you think?

Ozorik
17-10-2009, 19:59
1. Bolt throwers

2. Shields and choppas for large anvil units, extra choppa for smaller hammer units and big 'uns if you are using them.

gab-skull trasher
17-10-2009, 20:39

1) As Orcs and Goblins what is the best way to take out an Empire Steam Tank? I cant think of any good way.

I would have to say that the best option would be to use Mork wants ya! since it's going to autohit it since the steam tanks fails any initiative test it has to take, and thats D6 S10 hits, but if you don't get the spell like Ozorik said already Spear Chukkas

2) What is better to equip your orc boyz with? There are two paths which are either Shields for a 4+ AS, or Extra Choppas, for 2 Attacks each. Which is the overall best? I'm thinking the extra choppas because Orcs are only good in combat when they charge because they get to go first in addition to being S4, so I would want to take as much advantage as that as possible. But I have been both agreed with and told otherwise. What do you think?

I personally go with 2 big units w/additional choppas and 1 big unit w/shields
the ones with additional choppa are devastating on the first round of combat but the drawback is that if they don't break the enemy their probably gonna break next turn

gab-skull trasher
17-10-2009, 20:53
All right here's my question:

1) If you're playing less than 2,000pts. meaning you can only take 1 rare choice would you take

--A) Giant

--B) Trolls

2) Why?

Ozorik
17-10-2009, 21:26
Trolls but only 1 or 2 of them. A giant is an arrow magnet and in small games there isnt likely to be much else to shoot at in an O&G army.

Trolls aren't great but they can be useful and small units are pretty cheap.

Regarding steamtanks they are immune to spells (IIRC). Warmachines work best, failing that characters with great weapons or giants can work but are a bit of a last resort.

Avian
17-10-2009, 22:40
In smaller armies I tend to stay away from very expensive single models, such as Giants, and concentrate more on getting a good number of models on the table. A single Troll is good because it is highly flexible and only costs 40 pts, but with a maximum Ld of 8, I would stay away from them in smaller battles too.

So I'd go for C) Neither (try a Pump Wagon or two, or a Doom Diver instead)

gab-skull trasher
17-10-2009, 23:47
Well thanks for the info. :)

I have another question, when most people take rare choices they tend to take Pump Wagons over everything else, to me it never even cross my mind to get one. So my question is are Pump Wagons really that effective?

w3rm
18-10-2009, 01:13
So I was thinking of starting a thread that is sort of a tactica-oriented FAQ.

Just post whatever questions you want here and people will probably give you some ideas.

Orc Warboss on a wyvern with Ironclaw Cleva. 4 auto hits 4 auto wounds every turn. BOOSH!

zeekill
18-10-2009, 02:48
Orc Warboss on a wyvern with Ironclaw Cleva. 4 auto hits 4 auto wounds every turn. BOOSH!

Yea but I dont really want my Warboss on a Wyvern, maybe in 3000 points but before that I need my general near my army for Ld 9 pretty badly.

Aratus
18-10-2009, 05:06
Well thanks for the info. :)

I have another question, when most people take rare choices they tend to take Pump Wagons over everything else, to me it never even cross my mind to get one. So my question is are Pump Wagons really that effective?

Well Pump Wagons can be pretty nice to use to soften up the enemy's lines before your boyz get up there. Hell try and put them on the flanks and try to get them into a flank. 2d6 Str 4 Impact Hits can do something. And if they die to shooting then they focused at shooting a 40 point model instead of thinning your ranks instead.

The only problem with them is if they dont get the charge off they are pretty useless in combat. They are pretty much there for either a 1 turn suicide charge, or a supporting charge from another one of your blocks.

w3rm
18-10-2009, 13:08
Yea but I dont really want my Warboss on a Wyvern, maybe in 3000 points but before that I need my general near my army for Ld 9 pretty badly.

Well doesnt have to be a Wyvern I guess. Could be on a boar but it's just easier to kill it if he's on a Wyvern.