PDA

View Full Version : SQUIGS!!!!! who,how,and why use them?

gab-skull trasher
17-10-2009, 21:49
Basically i'm thinking of adding squigs into my O&G army and want to know

1st: Do a lot of people use them? are they fun to use?

2nd: How good are they on the tabletop?

3rd: What do people think of them?

4th: If you do use them, do you prefer Squig Herds or Hoppers?

Avian
17-10-2009, 23:36
Squigs are one of the (not very high number of) O&G units the designers got right in this edition, if you ask me.

I'm lazy, so I'll just link you to my article on Night Goblin Units and Characters (http://www.avianon.net/tactics/nightgoblin_units_chars.php)

Arguleon-veq
17-10-2009, 23:50
I use them, they are my fave and most effective unit.

4 ranks of 6, 25 models [1 extra]. So your looking at Static Res 4. You then get 12 S5 Attacks, you are ITP which is HUGE with our low Ld, and then when you finally do break, you hurt the enemy!, a fantastic unit.

Harwammer
18-10-2009, 00:22
I like my squig herders.

I'll often take two min sized units in a 2k game. They've certainly overperformed for their points (often killing giants, munching through cav and generally attracting a lot of shooting).

Becareful with herds placement though; big unz, boar boyz, black orcs and fast cav don't much like it if a herd explodes close by.

Edit: also, herds're only 30 points, if you can't find a use for them just have them threaten to claim a table quarter, while keeping clear of your own lines.

w3rm
18-10-2009, 02:22
Squigs would be the most over used unit in the game if they were affordable. I would love to run a unit of 4 Herds. 12 Squigs 8 Handlers. Use em as a nice hammer and then they explode and kill everything!

Chicago Slim
18-10-2009, 07:55
Suffice to say, I own a 25-model squig herd already painted, and have now on my table another 30-model herd, to be painted.

They rock. Solid fighty troops, ItP, everything a growing Warboss needs...

gab-skull trasher
18-10-2009, 16:36
All right thanks for the comments and info people, i'll probably get a Squig Herd some day soon then :)

bubbathebrute
20-10-2009, 19:35
I havent used herds yet but i always use two units of hoppers. They are amazing. They are a real threat to any unit and ItP is a nice treat for an OnG army. Their random movement can get themselves killed once in a while.

Ramius4
20-10-2009, 19:51
Both kinds are loads of fun. And coincidentally, both are some of the more reliable units in the list.

To really enjoy playing O&G you just can't stress over the randomness/ and or utter failure of any one unit.

Walls
20-10-2009, 19:57
Exactly. You must embrace the randomness of the entire army. It's what makes them SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO damned fun.

Leogun_91
22-10-2009, 15:59
Both are good and so is the great cavesquig though it is a little bit harder to use.

TheGrudgeBearer
22-10-2009, 19:10
hoppers and herds are amazing. I think herds are more reliable. but if you want relible unit you dont go for O&G. Hoppers are the most fun to use and they are superb against dwarfs. almost always gets the charge, often in the flank, and loads of st5 hatred attack for you. sucks agains HE thou. Hoppers gives you options, movment, front, rear flank attacks lots of pain. doesnt cost that much. moving inn forests and stuff is always good with them.

Tarian
22-10-2009, 20:28
Squig herds seem to do well against most armies. ASF HE (or other units with ASF) really hurt them, however, since they only have T3 with no save. (Even HE spears will rip them apart.)

w3rm
23-10-2009, 03:30
Pffft! HE Archers rip those guys apart!

Dranthar
23-10-2009, 05:05
Squig herds are a ridiculously cheap hammer unit for O&Gs.

They put out alot of high strength attacks, are immune to psych (perfect for facing VCs and the like) and when they finally bite the dust they explode, further damaging all your opponents units within range.

The only disadvantage of them is that they take up a special slot - something that O&G armies tend not to have enough of. Even so, 1-2 units is always a good investment.

wilsongrahams
23-10-2009, 06:45
I think I'll be getting Hoppers too, only because as stated they are a little fun in what has become a serious game.

All I wish is that I could purchase something like a baby attack squig as an extra weapon for my Big Boss as it's on his base...

Dranthar
23-10-2009, 07:28
I think I'll be getting Hoppers too, only because as stated they are a little fun in what has become a serious game.

All I wish is that I could purchase something like a baby attack squig as an extra weapon for my Big Boss as it's on his base...

Kickin Boots...

...or Iron Nashas. ;)

Paraelix
23-10-2009, 09:08
Herders are great. High strength, ItP, and they ASPLODE when the handlers die.

wilsongrahams
23-10-2009, 15:09
Kickin Boots...

...or Iron Nashas. ;)

Hmm, depends if I need WYSIWYG, or maybe if my opponent is a jerk I can show him some real Kickin Boots!

I think the Orcs with Doom Divers and Fanatics and Hoppers are the ONLY army out there with such random and amusing units.

Is there a consensus on whether herders are better than hoppers or not?