PDA

View Full Version : A Playable Doombull List? You tell me...

Hell's Angel
16-05-2005, 17:48
1 * Doombull @ 296 Pts
Mark of Khorne; General; 2ndWeapon, Heavy Armour
Chaos Runesword

7 Minotaurs of Blood @ 461 Pts
Mark of Khorne; 2ndWeapons; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

7 Minotaurs of Blood @ 477 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Great Weapons; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

1 Tuskgor Chariot @ 85 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided

Mark of Chaos Undivided

11 Chaos Warhounds @ 66 Pts

1 Chaos Giant @ 225 Pts
Mutant Monstrosity

1 Dragon Ogre Shaggoth @ 304 Pts
2ndWeapon; Light Armour

Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 32

Total Army Cost: 1999

the_night_reaper
17-05-2005, 00:00
well first off I would put the minotaurs in smaller units. Because the rank isn't really worth it considering you can get 5attacks per model with extra hand weapons or 4 S6 attacks with great weapons. With 16 S6 attacks you should get more than one kill to make up for the rank bonus. Although this can be hard because you would have to(well not have to but should) give them the mark of khorne which is pretty pricy.

Also don't count on the shaggoth to win battles for you because any large unit can take it down then maybe run it over with cr or make it take wounds(I'm not really familiar with it's rules). You would probably be better of getting some normal dragon orges or what I would do is get some marauder horsemen or furies for some reall speed in you're army (sure minos are fast but they're not fast enough to take down warmachines in the early turns if at all.

here's some tips that aren't battle winning but may help a little:

instead of the rune sword give you're doombull the berserker sword with his large base you should get in at least 2 attacks and saves you some 30 pts or so.

also try getting a beast herd to screen you're minos instead of the dogs. beng skirmishers they're a little harder to hit and kill.

knights and warrior models tank everything else!!!!!!!!!
(they're not bad on the battle field either ;) )

Hell's Angel
17-05-2005, 02:34
Hrmmmm, Shaggoth is the only model that I have not bought yet. Whats the popular vote out there? Are they worth it, or should I have fun converting another Giant model? 2 giants, or one and a Shaggoth? Let me know from experiance which one you would rather fight...

Edit:
Im not partial to having beastmen in the army... I already have my chariots converted to having minotaurs w/double handed weapons rinding in them (one per obviously...) I use the regular rules for the beastman chariot of course.

Also about breaking up the minos, I have thought about doing that, and if I had a second Giant I would have a little more points to play with... The runeblade is expensive, but granting +1 to WS, STR, and Attack is huge... Im not sure if I want to stick him in a unit of minos or keep him behind one until he can flank charge or block a counter charge... Years of 40k have made me forget all the subtle modifiers in fantasy. (Yes I own the rulebook!) :D

Riddy
17-05-2005, 15:01
I re-worked your list and you could end up with this:

Doombull as above

4 Minos of Khorne
xhw
Standard

4 Minos of Khorne
xhw
Standard

4 minos of khorne
g-weapons
standard

3 minos of khorne
g-weapons
standard

2 Tuskgor Chariots

6 hounds

5 hounds

Giant and Shaggoth as above

This list give the minotaurs much more manoverability, although it means you need to buy 2 more standard bearers (Or convert them)

Neknoh
17-05-2005, 15:17
The above list is a lot better than yours, no offence, the one thing I would consider changing would be to consider one of the more expensive Swords for your Doombull, Hellfire, Change and Daemonsword would all be nice on him.

I think that the Giant and Shaggoth will serve you well, they will either atrackt lots of Fire or they will be left allone to slaughter the enemy.

The one problem would be if the Shaggoth was hit with one or two Cannonballs which ignores his AS and the Giant being hit by lesser Shooting, like Arrows and Handguns which would be able to bring him down quite fast.

At 3, I would consider adding another Shaggoth and upgrading the one you have to a Shaggoth Champion of Khorne and just buy more Minotaurs for the rest of the points, perhaps some Herds to use as Flankers and some Furies to deal with Warmachines

Hell's Angel
17-05-2005, 18:50
Ok... How about this?

1 Doombull @ 234 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; General; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour grouped with:
2 Minotaurs of Blood @ 226 Pts Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; 2ndWeapon; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

3 Minotaurs of Blood @ 273 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; 2ndWeapon; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

3 Minotaurs of Blood @ 281 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; Great Weapon; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

3 Minotaurs of Blood @ 281 Pts
Mark of Khorne; Frenzy; Great Weapon; Light Armour; Standard
1 Bloodkine

14 Chaos Warhounds @ 84 Pts

Mark of Chaos Undivided

Mark of Chaos Undivided

1 Chaos Giant @ 225 Pts
Mutant Monstrosity

1 Chaos Giant @ 225 Pts
Mutant Monstrosity

Casting Pool: 2

Dispel Pool: 7

Models in Army: 34

Total Army Cost: 1999

Neknoh
17-05-2005, 20:25
The list is even worse than before.

Not only does it have an unnecesary points sink in the group of Chaos Warriors, the only Minotaur unit which is capable of taking on a Ranked unit by itself is the one joined by the Doombull.. which is an illegal unit.

You must have the minimum Unit Size BEFORE you add Characters, not afterwards.

As for the new list, take the two minos that would be accompanying the DB and add them each to a unit of Minos, then add the Doombull to the unit with only 3 Minotaurs in it.

And we must not forget, if you want the extra strength of a Greatweapon, Iwould highly suggest getting the Slaughterers Blade for your Doombull, trust me, it is really nice, especially on Nurgle and Khornate Doombulls

EDIT: I am terribly sorry for missing the Bloodkins, your Miotaur units are all fine now... though I do not see why you would want a Bloodkin in the same unit as the DB... or is it the Bloodkins job to turn Unit Champions into Overkill results?

Hell's Angel
17-05-2005, 21:21
6 attacks at str 7... Does he really need a magical weapon? He will be going after 15 str 4 attacks.

Also. I assume when you said warriors you meant warhounds? Do you really think that they are a waste of points?

Hell's Angel
18-05-2005, 01:49
So,I guess what I am saying here, is that I dont understand why this list is worse than my first one... I have 2 more units/dispel dice, and another solid giant...

Also about the str3/4 weapons doing wounds they need 6/5-6 to wound and I get a 5-6/6 save so I figure that with 2 at least one will get into combat...

Dirty Fingers
18-05-2005, 02:08
So,I guess what I am saying here, is that I dont understand why this list is worse than my first one... I have 2 more units/dispel dice, and another solid giant...

Also about the str3/4 weapons doing wounds they need 6/5-6 to wound and I get a 5-6/6 save so I figure that with 2 at least one will get into combat...

hmm i like this newer list. I'd follow Riddy and split up the chaos hounds, but i guess it doesn't matter TOO much.

still i miss the Shaggoth :( . but i'm a shaggoth type guy, i like the fluff, i like the model, etc.....owe and come on, i know you like khorne, but you gotta give props to the Shaggoth of Slaanesh. Striking first with a great weapon of that size? oh yes....

Neknoh
18-05-2005, 06:00
6 attacks at str 7... Does he really need a magical weapon? He will be going after 15 str 4 attacks.

Also. I assume when you said warriors you meant warhounds? Do you really think that they are a waste of points?

The Slaughterers blade will still lend you the same 6 strength 7 attacks, though I advice you to take a look at its rules (Beasts of Chaos armory, somewhere near the middle), this will keep your Doombull alive a LOT longer than before.

And I am sorry, I misread Warhounds into Warriors.

Keep that nice and big block, it will help you out a lot if it runns down on one of the enemies flanks, tearing up Fast Cav and Skirmishers before moving into flanks.

People underestimate big blocks of Warhounds.

It is only because I misread your list twice that I thought it was worse, this is actually a very good list now that I see what has changed... though I have to admitt, I miss the Shaggoth as well

Sariel
18-05-2005, 11:26
Well, imho, I'd drop the light armour and standards on ALL the Minotaur units.

Light armour - considering all the S4+ stuff out there, light armour just ain't worth it.
Standards - these boys are going to see combat. A lot. Thing is, considering the sheer number of attacks they're going to be throwing out, +1 to combat resolution just isn't worth the risk of loosing the banner if you fluff your attack/wound rolls. You just don't have the "soft" combat resolution (ie +3 for ranks and outnumber) to make it worth your while..

Same thing with the Doom Bull - S3 attacks are'nt going to hurt much, and S4 or higher and you might as well not bother with the heavy armour.

Dropping all the armour and standards and a single warhound, and you free up 102 points - just enough for a Berserker Sword/Slaughterer's Blade and 2 units of 5 warhounds.

Or you could keep the warhound, and get a Blade of Blood and 2 unit of 5 warhounds.

Why the small throwaway units of warhounds?

Missile screens and bait, especially for heavy cavalry. You're frenzied, so you're not going to care about panic tests from the doggies being shot apart.

Also, Minotaurs are also going to have a hard time charging heavy cavalry, and the warhounds can help, either to deflect charges or to bait and flee. Thing is, its not the 6 knights with a musician you're worried about. Its the big hammer units - Knights with full command, War Banner and a character or two for support - that you're going to need to deflect.

Hell's Angel
19-05-2005, 06:42
So, has anyone ever played against a Doombull list anyways?

Sariel
20-05-2005, 21:03
So, has anyone ever played against a Doombull list anyways?

Yeah. Nurgle Minotaurs.

Thing is, he loaded up on chariots and Minotaurs. Problem was, no fliers, no skirmishers, no ranked units with soft combat resolution (ie +3 ranks, banner, outnumber). 2 shaman with 1 small herd as a bodyguard for magical protection.

I was running an Empire list. Elector Count, captain on pegasus, 2 lvl 2s, 2 cannon, 2 blocks of swordsmen, about 12 handgunners, 10 crossbows, some huntsmen, about 6 knights... pretty standard fare. Nothing extreme.

Cannon were just plain vicious against Minotaurs, Giants and Chariots (obviously). Did'nt get much shooting at the Minotaurs with missile troops (4+ armour save), but they helped polish off the Giants and sent the doggies packing really quick. Magic was so-so. On the other hand, he had dispel scrolls, which helped him a lot.

Pretty nasty when they charged, of course. Trouble was, there were'nt many Minotaurs left by the time they reached me, and they had serious trouble breaking through the infantry, especially since they sort of dribble in, 1 unit a turn.

Khornate Minotaurs might do better, though, since you get a few more attacks.

SilentPsycho
27-05-2005, 20:12
i have just started a BoC khorne army and the minotaurs keep doing stupid things like charging a throw away unit and then being stuck because they can't overrun and have to charge the unit

kyussinchains
30-05-2005, 18:23
I'd take a second doombull instead of the shaggoth, they're every bit as destructive WS6 S5 A5 same as a basic shaggoth, but they can have magic weapons and they dont count as large targets... just a thought

The shaggoth model is almost too cool not to use however!

Frankly
31-05-2005, 04:37
i have just started a BoC khorne army and the minotaurs keep doing stupid things like charging a throw away unit and then being stuck because they can't overrun and have to charge the unit

They just shouldn't be doing this.

You have options in your army with herds, chariots, chaos hounds and in HoC deamon flyers in stop this sort of thing. An opponant should have to work extremely hard to get khorne mino units to chase its tail.

Remember the whole idea of khorne is the battle. Its your work to construct an armylist that will get them into combat, this is the big test of a khorne liist