PDA

View Full Version : 5th Edition BRB Artwork

superdupermatt
18-10-2009, 14:05
More specifically, the cover art, with the man fighting two snakes, surrounded by 12 circles... what are your opinions on it?

I think it's a given that the man in the middle is the Emperor, and the 12 circles being the Primarchs, but what about about the snakes, who/what do they represent?

Matt

grissom2006
18-10-2009, 14:12
Not this subject again it all got talked about when they released it.

There was 20 Primarchs not 12 so the circles aren't that

Look closely the first image at what would be 1 on a clock face is the Inquisitions symbol the 7th is the that of the Machine God. The Emperor is indeed the person in the middle. WD had a article covering this and what most of the symbols we're.

superdupermatt
18-10-2009, 14:18
Such a school boy error! I knew there was 20 primarchs :/

I wasn't aware of the WD article, I've looked but to no avail.

I would say that the skull on the hammer's head would be the Inq, as it's flanked by an eagle and a lion, represented SM and IG.

I would stress that this is my personal opinion though, and I'm sure the WD would correct me.

AndrewGPaul
18-10-2009, 14:23
How many High Lord positions are there?

Lord-Caerolion
18-10-2009, 14:27
There are 12 High Lords, but not all are permanent positions. Although, aren't some of the circles blank? Those could represent the non-permanent seats on the Council.

grissom2006
18-10-2009, 14:48
None of the circles are blank they all have detail on them it's just hard to make out some of them. The 12th has the appearance that could have a person thinking of a chalice/grial.

Lord-Caerolion
18-10-2009, 15:30
Well, if all have designs on them, they can't represent the High Lords, as the non-permanent seats have wildly different roles in Imperial government. Theres the speaker for the Chartist Captains, the Lord Commander of the Segmentum Solar, Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard, head of the Sisters of Battle, head of the Custodes and a Cardinal. Those aren't really things you can fit into the 3 elected spaces on the picture. Of course, the picture could show the "current" High Lords, including the present elected positions.

superdupermatt
18-10-2009, 15:48
If there are 12 permanent seats for the High Lords, perhaps each seat as a defined role, and the symbols represent that?

The studs inside that ring, are 20 strong, so I guess they are the Primarchs? Although there are 3 missing (4, 8, 12). Although the top most one forms part of the wreath surrounding that skull. So it's anyone's guess.

gothgar
18-10-2009, 16:59
snakes are used in place of the devil... maybe that is symbolic of him fighting chaos?

spetswalshe
18-10-2009, 17:07
I figured the skull between the eagle and lion hammer heads would represent the AdMech.

Two snakes would be directly reminiscent of Hera sending two to kill Heracles when he was a baby, resulting in him strangling them to death and playing with the corpses. I'd suggest two snakes (or one double-headed one, can't really tell) would be representative of the Enemy Without and the Enemy Within.

Imperialis_Dominatus
18-10-2009, 20:32
I'd suppose the 12 represent the High Lords. After all, if the Space Wolves can change out hundreds-of-pounds blocks every time a Wolf Lord dies, the High Lords can afford to replace the little stud things. In defensive position around the Emperor/Imperium (interchangeable) with blades drawn (spikes). Emperor/Imperium fights many foes- snakes are Within and Without, fire is Beyond. Lion is Guard- massive, powerful, majestic, eagle is Space Marines- quick, deadly, angelic.

Dexter099
18-10-2009, 23:52
The 12 circles are inspired by the Dante's twelve circles of hell from The Inferno, no doubt.

CrownAxe
18-10-2009, 23:53
The 12 circles are inspired by the Dante's twelve circles of hell from The Inferno, no doubt.

Dante's Inferno only had 9 circles

ntin
19-10-2009, 00:04
A man wrestling two snakes is the iconography of the 13th zodiac Ophiuchus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiuchus). This could explain the twelve circles to be other zodiac signs. Assuming that Ophichus is representing the God Emperor, the skull iconic could be associated to his coming death now that the Gold Throne is starting to break down.

Grimbad
19-10-2009, 00:15
It is the Emperor and 12 High Lords, naturally analogous to Jesus and twelve apostles. The serpents are the enemies of mankind dragging man down by weight of numbers, but he's not going out quietly. Also note the man has wings, and there are flames at his feet- the serpents are dragging him from heaven towards hell. Turn to page 106 and you'll see the lion- on the left side of the hammer- symbolizing the Guard, and the eagle on the right symbolizing the Astartes, the placement could indicate that the Marines are the Emperor's right hand and the Guard his left. The central bit is the skull with bionic eye, the Mechanicus binding the Imperial war machine together- note that behind the skull are the 'worky bitz' of the thunderhammer.
The are 20 rivets, presumably the 20 primarchs. Oddly, three of them are missing- the two expunged and Horus? The one connected to the Emperor could be Sanguinius, who died to save him, close to the Emperor as he sacrificed himself once that the Emperor could sacrifice himself always. There are five purity seals- perhaps to ward against the five alien races currently featured in the game. Behind the hammer is a mayan-style calendar, which these days is associated with the supposed impending apocalypse in 2012, tying in to the 'time of ending' theme of the new rulebook.
Also, on page 106, you can see the High Lords represented by another, similar spiked shield design.

That's my analysis.

Dexter099
19-10-2009, 00:38
Dante's Inferno only had 9 circles

Whoops, never mind.